Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

muscles like this! posted:

His new outfit looks like something from some no-name 90's superhero show.

Nightman had a name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I know this likely won't work the the character at all, but I sort of hope in some way that Martine is going to end up becoming a version of Onomatopoeia. Instead of making sounds, maybe his gimmick is that he leaves a written note of the sound associated with the method of death when he kills someone.

(Actually, that could be an almost Batman '66 sort of gimmick that I could see Gotham picking up on. Serial killer going around, finding victims with words like "BOOM!", "BANG!", "CRACK!" left at the crime scene.)

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

LongDarkNight posted:

Martine is kind of young to get into the murder business. It's not like he's going to chug a bunch of Chinese herbal remedies.

When the kidnapping occurred I was expecting a different twist of Martine: Having been scolded by Penguin, was going to go off and attempt to kill Falcone to make Penguin like him again and prove he's not a traitor.

I could have seen something like that send Penguin into a panic mode because there's no way he can tell anyone to try to stop him without it making him look like he's planning something and if it fails there's no way he can convince anyone that he didn't send Martine as the perfectly quiet, trusted, innocent assassin.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Metropolis show without Superman feels like a concept that could work as a short-run one-off series* where Superman is only seen on television sets and flying overhead in a few scenes and it's about how various folks live in the shadow and aftermath of his existence.

A person whose kid has repeatedly injured himself trying to emulate the powers of Superman. A group of criminals trying to figure out how to keep being crooks when you've got Superman seeing and hearing everything (a growing sideplot of them planning a complicated caper to go down at any given moment when they know he's busy with some crisis hundreds/thousands of miles away). Some guy who is a Superman lookalike who appears at parties doing tricks with props. Etc. You could do them all as stories that cross paths with one another.

*This might work as a Youtube fanseries or something

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Bruceski posted:

Naturally the lookalike would happen to be in the bank on the day the crooks try to rob it.

And get shot to death in front of the kid who thinks Superman is indestructable. (But yeah, he'd be in there to deposit a check as the robbery was going on because that seems like a goofy sort of Silver Age thing.)

But in all honesty I'm thinking of a kind of show that would mix a bit of lighthearted wonder and depressing reality about being in a world where a literal Superman exists and have some vignettes on how people live in that IF you're doing a show without Superman in it but set in Metropolis.

The person who has lost every job they've had in the last 5 years because they've been unlucky enough to be around and waylaid by some Superman related event that got them fired for being late too often. The people who are obsessed with Superman collectibles or the man himself. A survivor of someone who Superman didn't save trying to cope with what made their spouse so unremarkable to be ignored. Etc.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 5, 2018

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Open Source Idiom posted:

This kind of speculation is fun and all, but isn't the series set prior to Superman's arrival in Metropolis? He'd still be under the radar in Smallville.

It'd be the equivalent of Gotham -- the show -- if Bruce Wayne wasn't there full stop.

Yeah, but that's what I mean by if you're doing a Superman-centric story without Superman there. Doing a Metropolis story before Superman's arrival in the city sounds just a bit like it doesn't matter because Metropolis to me never felt like a city full of secrets, problems and mystery like Gotham does.

If this is Metropolis before Superman, it probably just needs to be a Luthor-centric story in that case, which it sounds like it's going to be. But in that case, I think it maybe should be a bit of a "rise of Luthor" who elevating himself to the most powerful man in Metropolis before Superman shows up. Maybe they'll be able to spin it into a show about the bleeding-edge developments in science, the power of business and the morality and ethics of both.

But I don't know if they're going to go to the Wealthy Lex Luthor-Evil Businessman/Genius well, again. It's been done a lot over the last 30+ years. If it's he and Lois, I really suspect it will fall into being a 'Young Lex, only-slightly-arrogant outsider 20-something supergenius mad scientist' who has little business ambition.

At some point by the second season, I suspect they'll introduce a non-Superman Clark Kent in some capacity.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
This is going to sound like an obvious observation, but if feels like Gordon seems to have really replaced Bruce/Batman as the reason for all the weirdos being in Gotham.

By the time Batman finally rolls into Gotham, the supercriminals will be antagonizing an ineffectual Dark Knight just to force Gordon to come out of the shadows to deal with them.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

VictorianQueerLit posted:

This makes me curious how Gotham would handle the typical Adult Batman/Gordon dynamic.

Usually it's a regular cop calling the weirdo vigilante for secret rooftop meetings. He has to ask for help because of the outrageous characters and unorthodox tactics they are using that the extrajudicial Batman can better deal with and understand.

If I were able to go back in time about 4-5 years when they were working on this show, and could make a suggestion, I would have dumped the whole 'Gordon killed a guy while doing a job for Penguin after he was fired by the GCPD' storyline that the effectively erased or forgot about for the last several seasons and made a different suggestion.

Bruce Wayne has a ton of money, he and Alfred aren't afraid of throwing it around. I would have suggested they hire Gordon to act as a security consultant, doing investigation work on behalf of themselves on Wayne Industries issues, or be a bodyguard or something like that, instead, for that window of time. It keeps Gordon out of the GCPD for a while, allows him to keep following the Wayne Murders every so often and you could play on the idea that Bruce and Alfred are secretly using Gordon's efforts to allow Bruce to research investigative techniques, criminal science stuff, etc.

It wouldn't quite be outside of comic book canon, either. Pre-Crisis, teen Bruce Wayne (as Robin) partnered up with a detective for a while who taught him such things. Having Gordon being that character instead might have worked.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
With the way that they're seemingly increasing the power status of female characters in the Gotham series, I figured the talk of "No Man's Land" was going to be less about the actual comic series run and more something like the Gotham Underworld is effectively being run by different female-lead factions or something. Ivy has her own agenda, Lee has her own motives, Barbara/League as a faction, etc. and the male characters were either going to be just generals/soldiers in their organizations or rogue agents.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
The actor playing Jeremiah really feels like he's channeling the personality of he and Jerome's father in his speech in the previews for the next episode. Isn't even his clothing sort of reflective of the same thing that character wore in the first appearance of Jerome episode?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I was glancing at that Gotham wiki thing on the character and I wonder if she's going to be eventually less a Harley and more an 'echoing the sentiments' of whoever she's working for.

From the wiki, there's the quote, "Ecco’s morals are questionable at best considering she seems to be whatever Jeremiah wants her to be, and would even assist him in his plans to destroy Gotham. "

If they go with with THAT sort of character gimmick, would that maybe end possibly making her less a Harley and more like a variation on the theme of Joker's Daughter (who I thought had the gimmick of constantly flipping her own gimmick and claiming being the child of other Batman Rogues)?

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 06:27 on May 7, 2018

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Having Pennyworth set in the 60s seems really odd and it seems like it would like it just makes it a more expensive costuming/set decor/etc. cost unless they're going to play it a bit like some classic James Bond sort of thing or they've got some really specific reason in mind for that being the era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I don't know if I hate this turn in Barbara, to be honest. I'm sure it will get cringy before it's all over, but maybe it will add something. Barbara seems to be almost going into Penguin levels of violence, revenge, control, etc. Her "No Men Allowed", screwing with other people's plans and making them her own and killing those who have sworn loyalty to her seems not much different from Penguin's behavior over the last few years.

• Locked thread