Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

fsif posted:

The contrarian rear end in a top hat part of me really wants to start the backlash against the football world gushing over Tony Romo, but I can't. Guy really seems like he has his finger on the pulse of the modern NFL unlike anyone else in the booth.

I really hope he keeps on top of things. He seemed like he was having lots of fun, to boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I wonder if Romo's current booth prescience is related to the fact that he just retired, and the state of the game and its players is more or less identical to what it was when we left. I wonder if guys like Aikman were as on-point when they were just starting out in the booth.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Hot Diggity! posted:

Nah. Defense has been up and down has played really well in 1.5 games.

My issue is that the defense has plenty of individual talent but even then there's still inexplicably large gaps in the defense that every offense takes advantage of. I can think of multiple from the Bengals game. Given that this has been an issue for years I can only attribute it to Capers's scheme.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

C-Euro posted:

I wonder if Romo's current booth prescience is related to the fact that he just retired, and the state of the game and its players is more or less identical to what it was when we left. I wonder if guys like Aikman were as on-point when they were just starting out in the booth.

Madden at his most incoherent would randomly snap back into his old self and perfectly diagram a playcall right as it happened occasionally.

He might eventually not be able to call the exact play an offense runs, but he'd still be extremely prescient on game flow and descriptive about what's happening.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

wtf was up with gruden going on like 3 separate rants about reviews ruining the game

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

C-Euro posted:

This is basically what Musburger's "angry man yells at cloud" rant was saying. It's obviously a factor - Romo was breaking down film as a QB less than 12 months ago, so a lot of what teams are doing is going to still be familiar. But as Brian Baldinger's recent foray into Twitter as shown, there's still plenty a guy out of the game for a while can elaborate on. I think the bigger risk would be TV exec influence.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

WHOOPS posted:

This is basically what Musburger's "angry man yells at cloud" rant was saying. It's obviously a factor - Romo was breaking down film as a QB less than 12 months ago, so a lot of what teams are doing is going to still be familiar. But as Brian Baldinger's recent foray into Twitter as shown, there's still plenty a guy out of the game for a while can elaborate on. I think the bigger risk would be TV exec influence.

It's not just that. Romo was always a studious guy and a better passer/reader of defenses than say, Aikman. Dude's got a high football IQ.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
checks out, imo

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

TheChirurgeon posted:

It's not just that. Romo was always a studious guy and a better passer/reader of defenses than say, Aikman. Dude's got a high football IQ.

Romo is so awesome, I have a legit man crush on the man. And he apparently can turn pro golfer at any time so there's also that.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Seeing Romo dissect every play makes me wonder even more what Cutler would have been like in the booth.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

Seeing Romo dissect every play makes me wonder even more what Cutler would have been like in the booth.

9001 times more apathetic.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Nantz: It's 3rd & 8, Jay. What do you think they'll call here?
Cutler: Who loving cares

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

C-Euro posted:

Romo went to the booth because his back and collarbone have both been broken multiple times, his team moved on from him, and he could make a lot more money not getting maimed while just getting to relax and watch football all the time.

Aikman left the game because his noggin got rattled so many times it wasn't safe for him to play again by loving 1990s standards. Even then, Troy was never the student of the game that Romo was. Romo had a lot more in common with Peyton Manning than he did Aikman. I figure if Peyton ever wanted to get in the booth he would do a lot of the same things.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Aikman was infamous for being a fairly dumb QB who could make all the throws but had to have his plays and adjustments called for him

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He also handed it off to some running back a lot .

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

It was really pretty when he'd hit a wide open Irvin (because of a push off) in stride for a TD, though.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Oh god I just mad again at Irvin's push offs after 20 years of dormancy

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

euphronius posted:

Oh god I just mad again at Irvin's push offs after 20 years of dormancy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVcS8ifPFLQ

He was really good at other things, too!

That video really has it all. Amazing circus catches, juggling nonsense turning into touchdowns, John Madden trying to say Aeneas Williams, and a whole lot of blatant pushoffs that would be easy OPI calls today.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 26, 2017

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I can't believe they played on that awful turf.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mr. Nice! posted:

Romo went to the booth because his back and collarbone have both been broken multiple times, his team moved on from him, and he could make a lot more money not getting maimed while just getting to relax and watch football all the time.

Aikman left the game because his noggin got rattled so many times it wasn't safe for him to play again by loving 1990s standards. Even then, Troy was never the student of the game that Romo was. Romo had a lot more in common with Peyton Manning than he did Aikman. I figure if Peyton ever wanted to get in the booth he would do a lot of the same things.

The one thing about Romo I do appreciate, after having dealt with Favre's bullshit, is that he understood his team had moved on. The media wanted to make hay of it, but he wisely hung it up instead of risking paralysis or worse.

And it got Simms out of the booth.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

weird Asian candy posted:

Romo is so awesome, I have a legit man crush on the man. And he apparently can turn pro golfer at any time so there's also that.

Did a short stint with the Mavs too, incredible athlete

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

WHOOPS posted:

checks out, imo

QBR

(cam still sucks now though)

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Is ESPN ever going to give up on QBR now that Trent Dilfer took a trip to Belize?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

dphi posted:

Romo does it allllllll

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

dphi posted:

I wanted him to play so bad

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

280 characters is completely ridiculous

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Wasnt there something floating about that a lot of booth dudes were told to keep it simple for the average fan not go too in depth? For years everyone said gently caress that and now we're getting an analyst that does some in depth analysis its pretty good.

Romo owns.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
Romos good for how long he's been doing it, but not great. For instance he doesn't know when to shut up. He's calling touchdown when the play by play is calling it instead of waiting to comment which is pretty basic broadcast etiquette. Also the prediction thing is awesome to use once in awhile but he uses it past the point of annoyance. It's like when Mel Kiper is a cockblock and announces the pick and then 30 seconds later Goodell announces it.

A. There is a certain mystery that should be kept in the game. Romo has specialized knowledge and sees things that we don't but it isn't always in the best interest of the magician to reveal his secrets. At least he could be more subtle about it.

B. Some of what he predicts isn't exactly a mindfuck such as a run on third down and short with heavy personnel and doesn't need to be said except it might impress fans newer to the game I guess.

I think Nance could do more to help him.

Romo is super likeable overall and is doing fine but I think some of the praise he's getting especially from younger NFL fans is overstated especially when Romo himself would admit he can and will improve alot.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
Thx grandpa

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

my favorite color guy was John madden

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Kalli posted:

Madden at his most incoherent would randomly snap back into his old self and perfectly diagram a playcall right as it happened occasionally.

He might eventually not be able to call the exact play an offense runs, but he'd still be extremely prescient on game flow and descriptive about what's happening.

Madden's last game was the Steelers/Cardinals Super Bowl.

I will always remember him dropping maddenisms all over the place, but right before the ball is snapped on the Harrison pick six he says "Gotta watch out for throwing a pick here"

And then midway through the 4th quarter he mentions something like "If I'm Palmer I'm looking Fitzgeralds way here". Boom! 64 yard TD to Fitz to take the lead.

Maybe coincidence but to me in the moment, it made me think "that's why this guy is the most famous announcer of all time".

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I'm probably the only one on TFF to have experienced Don Meredith on MNF as the color guy with Howard Cosell and Frank Gifford

That was great

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Ehud posted:

my favorite color guy was John madden

He's white though.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

TheBizzness posted:

I will always remember him dropping maddenisms all over the place, but right before the ball is snapped on the Harrison pick six he says "Gotta watch out for throwing a pick here"

And then midway through the 4th quarter he mentions something like "If I'm Palmer I'm looking Fitzgeralds way here". Boom! 64 yard TD to Fitz to take the lead.

Maybe coincidence but to me in the moment, it made me think "that's why this guy is the most famous announcer of all time".

Madden/Summerall were just the poo poo. They could make even lovely games entertaining. Al Michaels/Madden were underrated too. Al Michaels might be the only man alive who could do both play by play and color by himself for a national broadcast.

Keith Atherton posted:

I'm probably the only one on TFF to have experienced Don Meredith on MNF as the color guy with Howard Cosell and Frank Gifford

That was great

Way before my time but those guys were legit hilarious.

pasaluki fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Sep 27, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Al Michaels is probably one of the best all-sports broadcasters of all time, if not the best.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

the only thing that ever came close to summerall/madden was tirico/gruden and that's still lightyears off

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I legit love grudens enthusiasm talking football though. He should have his own show where he interviews players about football like inside the actors studio.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

pasaluki posted:

Madden/Summerall were just the poo poo. They could make even lovely games entertaining. Al Michaels/Madden were underrated too. Al Michaels might be the only man alive who could do both play by play and color by himself for a national broadcast.

Vin Scully if his life went a little differently and he called more football games?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
The best color guy is bill walton I will fight everyone about this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

TheBizzness posted:

Also want to comment on this, this is probably why Romo calls the games like he does, he grew up watching Madden and well, why not do what the greats do?

• Locked thread