Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Coldforge posted:

This is my least favorite of all sports hot takes. "Should have played a perfect game and then the ref mistakes wouldn't have mattered."

No.

I mean 'play a perfect game' and 'do not throw the easiest pick in the world on the first play of the game' aren't exactly the same thing. That throw was absolutely horrific by Hoyer, in no imaginable world does that work out for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don't think most fans know who Tripplet is

I agree that's a terrible idea but having said that....I mean if we're talking about 'people who watch games' most fans don't know who their own team's left tackle is, so yeah you're right. On the other hand anyone who's paid attention for a while knows who Jeff Triplette is. Which is a bad thing to say about a non-Guns ref who makes himself well known for not over-explaining (and guns) reasons.

I am not against the idea of disciplining refs who gently caress up repeatedly in very memorable ways. The NFL actually does some of this internally I know, but Triplette should have been relieved of his job a while ago. Also the NFL hired Phil Luckett to oversee the replacement refs when that fiasco was going on and that man was Triplette on steroids.

Anyway, NBC NFLN never showed us an appropriate angle so in this particular instance I don't know exactly how bad the call was. It certainly looked bad from the wide field, but it's possible it looked way worse from an angle I haven't seen.

Intruder posted:

Wade Phillips coached D gave up 39 to this 49ers squad lmao

Yeah this was the most surprising thing of the night (other than a ton of points). I didn't expect them to completely shut down the 49ers like the Seahawks did at home, but I expected a lot more than I saw.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

He's rapidly becoming less amusing to me.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

mllaneza posted:

drat, Chiefs scored again with that same shovel pass play.

It really is a pretty cool little play design with the Chiefs personnel. They send Hill on a jet sweep look which the defense has to respect because of all that speed, I don't remember if they did it today or not but they also ran a zone read look last week with Alex and Hunt before the shovel. That's a lot of different ways that play can go for a defense to have to cover and I'm sure eventually they're going to do one of the other things rather than the shovel pass. The one they ran today I'm 100% sure Hill would have scored if they'd handed off to him. It'll be figured out eventually like every play in the world is, but for now it's pretty damned fun.

Unfortunately after that point the Chiefs offense didn't look so great other than Hunt breaking another long run.

Melvin Ingram might be figuring the game of football out, at least I hope he is because the other option is Mitchell Schwartz sucks now.

LiquidFriend posted:

I don't why West is even on the roster anymore.

Gotta have someone to back up Hunt, and the other Hunt probably doesn't know the offense well enough yet. Also he might just be a returner and not a good back.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Elephanthead posted:

Well Brady is playing with 21 walk ons and winning so.

Not in all of his games :smug:

Seriously though, Gronk? I mean, Gronk is still there and doing things, even if he's banged up.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

cis autodrag posted:

I looked into that and apparently there are none where I live now (no I can't post where I live).

Check out this thread if you aren't averse to streaming.

You can also buy NFL game pass if you want to spend a lot of money.

e: There also is a newbie thread by the way, but that's generally kinda for "I'm new to football, how does x work?" questions.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Sep 25, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Strobe posted:

Through the first three weeks, Kareem Hunt has a YPC of over 8.5. :wtc:

I mean if you're breaking off a 60 yard run every game it probably helps that stat.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

And at 10 seconds he's in the endzone. He either had a TD, or was down with 11 seconds on the clock.

I'm not even saying the Lions would've won had they had one more play (they are the lions) but the refs completely and unequivocally hosed Up Big.

This isn't really the way football clock timing has ever worked though. How many plays have you seen that went out of bounds at the end of a game with what should have been a half second left on the clock? It needs to be super clear for them to put time back on the clock, and I don't think the difference there would have saved Detroit.

Not that it makes you feel any better I know, but I think y'all just got screwed by a questionable rule that was correctly applied.

On the bright side, surely you can't find a more Lions way to lose for the rest of this season.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

That really sucks, he's got to be nearing the end of his career at this point.

e: I don't mean because of this injury, you can come back from a broken arm easily. Just from age, he's ancient in running back years.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Huh, I just saw this.

https://twitter.com/NFL/status/912017502422540288

Clowney is freakishly fast for a guy his size, like maybe other big guys score there but they don't accelerate away that quickly.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

Yeah, the players have been great. I'm anxious to see what happens tomorrow with the owners having a day to process and figure out how they're going to attack this and what the Cowboys / Cardinals players do, or more specifically, next week.

Did I read somewhere that the Raiders wanted to stay in the locker room and the league wouldn't let them? So that's the first step at least.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

blue squares posted:

cowboys arent gonna do poo poo

I think I also read that the Cowboys have been told that if they do anything they'll be on the poo poo list.

Which is also what I assume happened to the Panthers.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

axeil posted:

Zeke needs to kneel and put his fist in the air to really confuse people like me on whether they hate him or like him

Zeke and Dak are the two who could get away with it even if Jerry sent the order down not to I think.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

Oh, here's why the 10s runoff on instant replays on live clocks exists btw: (it's at 1:10 the time link doesn't work when launching it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC0-33uBx68&t=70s

Unrelated to anything but Darren Sharper pick later on in this video.

gently caress Darren Sharper.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Oh someone ran the query for me, I didn't think about just checking PFR.

Kareem Hunt is off to the second best start in NFL history from a yards from scrimmage standpoint. #1? Billy Sims.

I did not expect it to be Billy Sims, and now I'm all worried because Billy didn't last very long.

e: Oh that's apparently since 1950, so someone else might have more from before then.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Sep 26, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

the mean lunch lady posted:

Did you know he has a barbecue chain?!

Aside from hearing about him during OU games and thinking he must have been pretty good in college that's like the only thing I know about him. I was half thinking he flushed out of the NFL immediately, but I guess he was pretty good as a rookie before he tore his knee up.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Sep 26, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

blue squares posted:

actually, he's not

He seems pretty...questionable when everything isn't going right. Last year his team was good enough that mostly everything went right, and he's good at just sticking the course in games like that.

I guess you could say everything wasn't going right tonight, but I feel like half of this result is the Cards being even more poorly coached. And probably having worse players available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

pasaluki posted:

Madden/Summerall were just the poo poo. They could make even lovely games entertaining. Al Michaels/Madden were underrated too. Al Michaels might be the only man alive who could do both play by play and color by himself for a national broadcast.

Vin Scully if his life went a little differently and he called more football games?

• Locked thread