Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

No wonder players hate kickers.

Nobody could possibly hate Matt Prater, except for maybe MADD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Blitz7x posted:

Yeah refs have to call it in realtime and we can all sit on our couches dissecting in everything in HD, but still gently caress jeff triplette

I actively dread Jeff Triplette getting assigned Lions' games since it always seems to result in some disaster (See the Bears game last year where they called a facemask penalty on the Lions player who was getting grabbed by the facemask)

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Literally the most Lions ending to a game imaginable

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I'm honestly less angry about the result of the Lions game than I probably should be, if only because I went into the game expecting to lose and watched most of the game expecting us to lose. It's a loving garbage loss, for sure, but at the same time, I can't help but feel optimistic that the Lions went the distance with one of the best teams in the league, and came within literal inches of winning.

Some thoughts:

-Boy howdy did the offense not look great for most of the game. Early on a lot of Stafford's passes were off, the running game was inconsistent (Though certainly better than last week), and Ebron. Ebron. How the hell that guy manages to drop so many passes that hit him in the loving hands, I don't know. He had multiple chances to contribute in major ways to a Lions victory, and blew almost all of them. That poo poo's just inexcusable, especially when this was supposed to be his year to bust out.

-The offensive line, however, looked a lot better than I thought they were going to. They still gave up a ton of pressure on Stafford, and committed some really fuckin' bad penalties, but considering I was considering the entire left side of the line to collapse in the aftermath of Swanson being out, they didn't do nearly as badly as I expected they would.

-Without Davis the defense looked absolutely horrific. The Falcons were able to run all over the Lions for the vast majority of the game, to the point that only two of the Falcons' drives actually ended in punts. The only real positive thing to come out of their performance today were Quin and Slay's interceptions, each one of which were absolutely critical for keeping the Lions in the game. The game badly emphasized just how crucial Davis is to the defense, and I'm fervently hoping he'll be back on the field next week.

-There were multiple situations on 4th and short that I felt Caldwell should've gone for it, and not just because I consider punting to be moral cowardice. The Lions only scored one offensive touchdown, and if any of the Lions' four field goals had been touchdowns instead the game could've gone to overtime. I generally like Caldwell, but I'd put at least some of the blame for the loss today on playing too conservatively against one of the best offenses in the league.

Yeah, arguing that the Lions couldn't have gotten a play off anyway is ridiculous, since they deliberately train for these situations and have proven their capability to get plays off that quickly in the past.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Modest Mouse cover band posted:

I was really happy to see the Lions hang with the dirty birds, and missed beating them by half a yard. Looking good this year hopefully they don't let that ending get in their heads too much.

Caldwell has always emphasized that the next game is the only one that matters, so they should be alright. They'll also be playing the Case Keenum Vikings, so hopefully they'll be able to pull out a win and get themselves back on track.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

WHOOPS posted:

i think you mean Reigning NFC Offensive Player of the Week Case Keenum

If loving Case Keenum somehow puts up a 130+ passer rating on the Lions AGAIN I'm just going to lay down and die

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
So here's a fun thing I saw pointed out:

https://twitter.com/Whojive/status/912074099844886529

Tate was ruled down at the 11 second mark. The clock was only stopped at 8 seconds because Tate was called for a TD. Even after the ten second runoff, the Lions should've had one more play, going by when on the clock Tate was ruled down.

Oh hey I'm mad again

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Lena Dunham posted:

He's not even completely on the ground yet in this screencap, it was 0:09 by the time he was down

Your team lost fair and square - get over it. Maybe they should have played better in the previous 58 minutes

And at 10 seconds he's in the endzone. He either had a TD, or was down with 11 seconds on the clock.

I'm not even saying the Lions would've won had they had one more play (they are the lions) but the refs completely and unequivocally hosed Up Big.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
The Lions aren't even strangers to crippling, self-inflicted failure, they're masters at it. When the refs gently caress up like this, it's frustrating, because it's like they don't even trust the Lions to gently caress it up for themselves.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Grittybeard posted:

This isn't really the way football clock timing has ever worked though. How many plays have you seen that went out of bounds at the end of a game with what should have been a half second left on the clock? It needs to be super clear for them to put time back on the clock, and I don't think the difference there would have saved Detroit.

Not that it makes you feel any better I know, but I think y'all just got screwed by a questionable rule that was correctly applied.

On the bright side, surely you can't find a more Lions way to lose for the rest of this season.

Oh ye of little faith :shepicide:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

On one hand, some Lions fans are pointing out that it took them 7 seconds to get a snap off off the back of a 27 yard play, while some are contesting the exact time Tate went down in regards to the clock. I'm bitching about the series of ridiculous penalties prior to the fauxdown, plus letting Atlanta getting so far head in the first place

I posted about it earlier in the thread, but the Lions had a lot of issues on both sides of the ball. Whether it was the defense being straight-up run over for 3 1/2 quarters or the offense wasting a ton of opportunities to score points, it was a game that the Lions could have straight-up won without controversy had they actually managed to execute before the final three minutes.

That said, I actually feel good about the Lions-even failing to execute, they came within inches and ref fuckery of beating one of the best teams in the league. Considering that this was a year that a ton of people were expecting them to regress to 7-9 or even 6-10, I think the Lions have shown they have the ability to beat every one of the teams they have on the schedule going down the stretch-so long as the offense is actually able to score points, and Davis comes back on defense.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Metapod posted:

Hello 2-1 club how is everyone

:sigh:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
My core contention is this: at the end of the day, regardless of how much time was actually left on the clock (Impossible to say), and regardless of whether Tate was down (He was), the game ended because the refs made a mistake. Had they properly called Tate down to begin with, the Lions would at least have had a chance (No matter how minor) to make a play and end the game on their terms. Instead, because the refs improperly called a touchdown, the Lions were robbed of that last chance and forced to watch helplessly as time expired. And don't get me wrong, the Lions had plenty of chances to win the game before that, either on Tate's catch itself, on the plays preceding it, and even earlier in the game when they failed to stop Freeman or score more than a single offensive touchdown. The Falcons won the game because they straight up scored more points, and played like the better team-but that doesn't change the fact that the ending was an utter travesty and a mockery of officiating.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 26, 2017

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Whoops, double post

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Manoueverable posted:

Re: Lions, history shows its a bad idea to throw an inaccurate slant at the goal line

I kept thinking they should just try to run it at least once, but they probably thought a running play would have eaten too much clock :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
That pair of back-to-back challenges were two of the worst challenges I've ever seen, and I saw Jim Schwartz challenge a play that would have been automatically reviewed

• Locked thread