Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

JohnnySmitch posted:

C'mon guys - let's get this thread moving!

Here are the stems to an old track of mine to play around with:

All Along [alternative]

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3u84h5juy6dvf16/all%20along.wav?dl=0

Did a headphone mix of this (hope it doesn't fall apart on monitors), tried to keep it natural feeling but tried to fill it out as well. Used a lot of Klanghelm and Waves VST, EQs and Comps, a little verb, nothing too wild though, if you have questions on details, ask away!

Thanks for making this thread, it's a great idea, and a great way to learn. I've been doing a lot of mixing of my own stuff, but mixing other people's material is a totally different ballgame. Sometime this weekend I'll put up some stems of my own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

JohnnySmitch posted:

I like this mix! You really got the bass and the drums pumping really well together - I definitely wanna try to match what you did with the rhythm tracks when I do the final mix for this! Any specifics you can tell me about what you did here?

The only thing I wasn't loving was how right-side heavy this mix was; the overdriven guitar being mixed way right (which I think I did in my original mix too) kinda throws off the balance a bit; probably mostly my fault though, since I didn't double track that part. I kinda want to go back and track a clean version of that part to blend left now...

Glad you dig it! For the drums, it was mostly a matter of finding the right balance between the mics, they capture a lot of the room sound, which is great, but definitely requires finding the right leveling, particularly for the room mics. I gated the snare mics a bit, slammed the kick a 1176 style comp (stillwell rocket, fast attack) and pulled the room mics back a bit for the middle section to tighten it up. Aside from that, I found that applying small amounts of compression (usually a somewhat open attack and a quicker release) at varying stages went a long way, which I find generally works with drums. The bass was mostly compression and pulling back around 100, I also threw the Waves' REDD 37-51 on there, which I found brought more evenness to the distortion on the track, giving it it's own character to distinguish from the toms.

It's funny you say it was right heavy, the only reason I threw the guitar to the right was because I thought it was left heavy! I've suspected my headphones (maybe just the cable?) have been having starting to go, this furthers my suspicions... Personally, I've grown to like more obvious panning over time, I suppose it somewhat comes down to taste, but there is definitely a consideration for an overall stereo evenness to be had.

• Locked thread