Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I guess this is what it's like to live on the west coast and watch your team sometimes!! I like it! Though I'm sacrificing birding a little :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Ehud posted:

You can go birding after lunch!

I was never much of an afternoon birder! I'm a morning guy.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Not sure there will be a single offensive touchdown today.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

That vaunted Dean Pees defense

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Good god this team is awful. That play was obviously not going to work

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

D needs to rush Bortles and force some turnovers. That's the only way we are winning. We might get shut out otherwise.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

See I kept saying our defense wasn't nearly as good as the numbers were showing the first two weeks.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

The Puppy Bowl posted:

And you'll continue to say it regardless of what happens today.

Because it's the case!

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

YMB posted:

Can't tell if Jags are looking good or the Ravens are just awful. Maybe both.

Ravens are awful. Dean Pees is the worst coordinator in the history of the NFL.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

lol, wide the f open. Just like last week. Fire this entire coaching staff please.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Quiet Feet posted:

Everybody but Kawalimus tell me: are the Jagz good or are the Ravens bad?

I'll say anyway--Ravens are bad. COnstant blown coverages, guys on the field wide open. They have good players but can't put it together because our DC doesn't know what he's even doing. His defenses are prone to these kinds of breakdowns.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

YMB posted:

I think there's probably been too many coordinators in the history of the NFL for you to possibly say this with any certainty.

Yeah I know it can't be proven. But he's bad enough I think I can say it and not be too out there.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Quiet Feet posted:

No offense leaving you out, it's just that I knew your answer. :shobon:

It's cool. I just gotta let off the steam. I'm extra pissed today if we truly poo poo the bed because I could've been out birding but stayed in for the novelty of the london game.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

absolomb posted:

Does Bortles have kinda lovely mechanics or am I just imagining things?

What I've read says his mechanics are real bad.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

The Puppy Bowl posted:

What the poo poo? Our WRs have more drops than catches at this point.

What we need is more fast receivers. Guys who can get down the field real real fast.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Ghost Dog posted:

kawalimus stole his dean pees hate from me

No I hated him day 1!!! I knew he was a junk coordinator he had a bad reputation coming in being the DC on new england in some of the years they were really bad on defense, though they had the excuse of low talent levels in a lot of those years. Here he doesn't have that excuse cause newsome is pretty good at stocking defense.

I wouldn't be so hard on him cause everyone's defense melts down now and then even the 2000 defense and 2006 defense(though them less so) had their bad moments. It's just time after time we see these breakdowns in his defenses. I knew a day like this would happen as soon as we weren't facing the week's worst-performing QB, although even I didn't think it would happen against BORTLES

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Ghost Dog posted:

bitch i remember pming you about this during my exile u robbed me of my take and ill never forgive u

im the one who told you he was from new england!!! your addled football shaman brain is melting

I don't even remember that. But you might be right you told me. But I didn't steal it I just believe it to be true :(. Your take is just my same take knowing that knowledge. Sometimes it happens!

That I don't remember it is sad cause it means it was so long ago and he's been our coordinator that long!!

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Ghost Dog posted:

a brent urban injury is basically the only thing that can stop his contract year rampage into being wildly overpaid by the *spins wheel of former ravens assistants* browns

What ever happened to Paul Kruger anyway?

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Has a team ever failed to get a first down at all during a game? Cause today is a candidate for that happening.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

corn on the cop posted:

So the Jags D might be really good?

Yeah they're pretty good afaik. They massacred the texans up front in week 1, so not surprising they're doing that to us with the amount of guys we have out.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

That was a great play on the ball. ugh.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

YMB posted:

Ravens are cursed.

Yep. Desperately need another cursebreaker. I'm guessing he will come from either the RB or WR position.

Oh god another injury.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Yeah if anything that play was Maclin not holding onto the ball. But mostly was just a great play by defender on the type of pass that is real tough to defend.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

The Puppy Bowl posted:

On replay I'm not as mad at Maclin but that doesn't change the fact that Baltimore has more drops than catches from the WR corp. That is an insane at week 3.

Oh yeah I agree. We came into this game with just 9 catches from our WRs which I think is by far the least in the league. Newsome has really got to improve the way he looks at receiving talent and acquisition because it does not work.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

The Ravens, once again, have no intermediate passing game. Year after year, after year after year.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

I just don't get why you would continue to field offenses in 2017 that can't pick up chunks of yardage. That's one of the things that Pittsburgh does so well. They are always getting these passes of like 15-20 yards. The Ravens only do short passes or long routes downfield.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Over the middle is just an easy 6 yard pickup for them, every play

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

What the hell?

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

corn on the cop posted:

how is that interference

Locked his arm. Even playing the ball that one's gonna be called.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Durandal1707 posted:

is Jeremy Zuttah still on the Ravens' roster or did he get cut?

hes gone

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Ravens need to blow up the franchise. This whole "don't use WRs" thing is not working out.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

I remember when we came back against Seattle in 2003. I was at that game. We got an extra timeout at one point and Mike Holmgren was so mad. We also converted a 4th and 28 hail mary off a tip. And Trent Dilfer played against us in overtime.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

At least we can only get one loss for this

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Shoulda just gone birding today.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Finger Prince posted:

There's a fork tailed flycatcher in Toronto right now. Who knows what the hurricane brought in to your neck of the woods? Instead, here you are watching a cat team eating a bird team.

I found a Mississippi Kite recently! Though that ain't a fork-tailed. those fork and scissor tails like to turn up all over the place.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Ghost Dog posted:

do u live on the eastern shore or are there lots of wildernesses around baltimore

I don't live on the eastern shore I live north of the city. But there's actually a lot of places to bird here and in the surrounding counties.

One of the best spots in MD for rarities is at the end of the boardwalk in ocean city called Sunset Park. It's like nothing. It's some lovely little tiny park you'd never expect to have birding. A couple years ago there was a rock wren there. Now there are like three Clay-colored sparrows, a sedge wren, and a Lark Sparrow all seen there recently. I was there once a while ago and there were like three common redpolls just hanging out. If I lived down there I'd make it a point to check that every day I could.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

axeil posted:

Kawalimus what is the best/rarest bird you've ever seen and do you have a picture of it?

I'm not a photographer kind of guy. I like to just watch them and work on my descriptions. Sometimes i use my phone to at least capture a shape to add some weight to my description of the bird. I've never personally found a ***MEGA**** rarity since my favorites are songbirds. But I've found quite a few rarer warblers like Golden-winged, Connecticut, and Mourning. I've never found my own orange-crowned but hope to change that this fall. My dream is to find a "true" rarity warbler like a Townsend's, Macgillivray's, or Black-throated Gray. Some years back there was a VIRGINIAS WARBLER(nothing to do with the state) at a place called Pickering Creek. I don't like chasing birds much and prefer to look for my own.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

axeil posted:

this thread is now officially birdchat

what bird is your favorite?

There's lots of warblers I really like. I'm also into sparrows. Connecticut Warblers are a lot of fun to find. Watching them kind of creep around. Much unlike other warblers. I love looking up at a spruce tree and getting a Cape May warbler. My favorite sparrow is probably Lincoln's, they're so much prettier than the song sparrows. Swallow-tailed kite is a bird I really like to see when I go further south or when they do turn up around here.

My favorite owl to listen to is the Barred. Man what a "hoot" that is to listen to! HA HA HA

I don't really have a set favorite bird. I just love finding them.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

One thing that pisses me off? I've never seen one of those god drat blue-winged x golden-winged hybrids!! Brewsters and Lawrences they're called. Never ran across one. They technically don't "count" as a species but I'd love to see one. For birding's sake it's another warbler.

Also RIP to yellow-breasted chat. It was removed from the warblers. It obviously never belonged there to begin with but sad to lose a warbler. Makes my dream of 30 warblers in one day(I know of a place this is possible) quite a bit harder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Hey Kawalimus, have you ever heard of Monk Parrots? They're active in New York city and Texas. They make these little community nests that are pretty cool.

I've seen them in florida. They're pretty cool birds that have established. I also saw the Nanday Parakeets there. Certainly weird to see parrot silhouettes flying around when birding.

Ever know that there was a native north american parrot at one time? Carolina Parakeets they were called. And they were around all year. I think they were as far north as Ohio. They went extinct in the early 1900s.

• Locked thread