Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ShootaBoy posted:

Haven't caught up yet, but wanted to let everyone know that :siren: the game is currently :5bux: :siren: right now.

I'm getting this before I regret it forever :flashfap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Does this have multiplayer that still works? Because if enough people pick it up here, we could maybe have the possibility of some fun LP shenanigans at some point.

diacorn
Aug 6, 2016

ShootaBoy posted:

Does this have multiplayer that still works? Because if enough people pick it up here, we could maybe have the possibility of some fun LP shenanigans at some point.
I would absolutely love to do this, but by this point the game is almost eight years old, and to the best of my knowledge the servers would be offline by now. I don't think the game supports LAN play, but if it does, I'll put something in the OP and see if maybe something can be rigged up with Hamachi or some such.
The PC version does have some LAN settings! If anyone who bought the game on sale wants to try rigging a tunnel, just PM me or post here.

If there's enough interest and it's workable, I'll get something rolling.

diacorn fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Nov 25, 2017

diacorn
Aug 6, 2016

New Cars

Body Count

We try the new Storm Drain track and score ourselves the first Ultimate Wreck of the Season!

There's plenty of excitement this Episode, but the most exciting bit is the new addition to our garage. We only unlocked one car, but it's a good one! The Cobretti Slipstream is a personal favorite of mine, and I showed it off in the Expressway Detonator event in Hit the Skids. It has a smoother, more stable drift than anything else in the game. The Coyote can drift faster, but the Slipstream can drift forever in a straight line. It's not super fast-- it only has a 4/10 in Speed-- but it has an 8/10 in Acceleration, so it gets there fast, and all that extra acceleration means that when you need to adjust the trajectory of your drift, it does it with no questions asked. This means, for example, that it's among the best cars in the game at keeping speed through chicanes and corner series if you can find the line.

diacorn fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Dec 8, 2017

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Man, that episode felt more like 2 minutes than 27 :allears: Definitely looking forward to a more varied lineup as we go along, but wouldn't that make for a much more difficult time? I certainly can't see you making that last Elite Race in an earlier car, and certainly not that pretty scrapheap that was the 'Elite' car.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
Bluto was Popeye's nemesis. MIckey's enemies were Peg-Leg Pete and the Phantom Blot.

I wonder if the Coyote is named after the supercar from the 80's TV show "Hardcastle & McCormick"?

diacorn
Aug 6, 2016

CommissarMega posted:

Definitely looking forward to a more varied lineup as we go along, but wouldn't that make for a much more difficult time? I certainly can't see you making that last Elite Race in an earlier car, and certainly not that pretty scrapheap that was the 'Elite' car.
I won't be pulling out the pokey starter cars, just maybe using some more recent cars we didn't get enough time with. Like the monster truck, which totally won't show up again in the next video at all. :razz:

Quiet Python posted:

I wonder if the Coyote is named after the supercar from the 80's TV show "Hardcastle & McCormick"?
You know, I completely forgot about this, but you're absolutely right, it must be. It looks nothing like the Coyote X, though: this one's less McLaren and more Euro-style GT coupe.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here's the videos I was talking about in the video btw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gtu2Yb0nk4

diacorn
Aug 6, 2016

Hey folks!

As some of you know, today was the day I was scheduled to put out the Threshold Break video. However, when looking through the final cuts, I discovered a rendering issue that I've got to fix before the videos can go live. That being the case, the new videos will be going up tomorrow night. I promise, they're worth the wait. :)

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
By that he means these are going to be some rad videos, and I would personally like to see some hype for that hard core editing that can barely contain these videos.

Editing Hype.

To help the hype.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9czpYfVowvg

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

By that he means these are going to be some rad videos, and I would personally like to see some hype for that hard core editing that can barely contain these videos.

Editing Hype.

To help the hype.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9czpYfVowvg

If this video doesn't live up to that trailer, you're both getting probated for a month :toughguy:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I regret everything.

diacorn
Aug 6, 2016

nine-gear crow posted:

If this video doesn't live up to that trailer, you're both getting probated for a month :toughguy:

Turtlicious posted:

I regret everything.
I still don't know how this video is intended to enhance the hype, but I won't let you down, Crow. :patriot:

diacorn fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Dec 7, 2017

diacorn
Aug 6, 2016

New Cars

Body Count

We've done some excellent work this time. We racked up 44 kills, nearly matching our record of 45 in Hit the Skids. That feels like such a long time ago. The monster truck makes a return, but today we're focusing on going fast in our shiny new Slipstream. The Slipstream's fast enough to last us till the end of the game if we want, but like our race number, we can expect to rise to bigger and better things. The game's speed curve also starts going wonky around this time; we're going to start seeing the really fast cars show up, but they'll be mixed in with cars with 5/10s in Speed or Acceleration.

I said during Cleaning Up that we could expect to see the cars start trickling down to us more slowly, but we got three new cars to play with this Episode, and they're all special in their own ways, some more than others. The Cobretti Cascade is sort of an odd beast in that the focus is on linking your side-to-side drifts together, because it's really stable when you throw the weight around like the Slipstream is. The Cascade, being a GT coupe, has a lot more of that weight, though, so you can't just redirect the car on a moment's notice when a chicane comes up like we could in the Slipstream. You have to start twisting the car around well ahead of the points where one turn ends and another starts, but if you can manage that, it's enormously fun to drive and reasonably fast to boot.

Not nearly as fast as the Cobretti 530 GTS, though, which has a 7/10 for Speed and Acceleration. I drove it in the Detonator event in Cleaning Up, and it's still frightening. It does your standard four-wheel-drive powerslide, but there's no weight behind it, and what weight there is is going way faster than it should be. Driving it takes some getting used to, but it's fast if you can keep it gripping, and it can dig in decently if you need to dodge.

We also got ourselves a new Elite ride, the 440 Special driven by Brawn and The Hammer. It looks like a Ford Mustang that ate a newer Camaro, but it handles more like a truck than either of those, enough so that we can shove cars around with it. It's weird driving a car that feels like it should be twice as big as it is. Thankfully, it can drift like a rear-wheel-drive car. At this stage of the game it can be a real workhorse, because it has a 6 or 7 in everything. We'll likely see it crop up more once our pool of cars stops growing.

diacorn fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Dec 8, 2017

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Sephiroth just has bright green eyes, no heterochromia. A surprising amount of restraint.

Re: Wreckout chat, I've noticed there seem to be certain hitboxes that wreck you regardless of speed or angle. You can glide into one at a leisurely 5mph and still explode. I think the worst offenders for this are the planes on the top deck of the boat after the route change on... whatever track that is. A monster truck should punt them out into the sea but they're apparently built entirely out of anvils and will wreck you regardless.

diacorn
Aug 6, 2016

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Sephiroth just has bright green eyes, no heterochromia. A surprising amount of restraint.

Re: Wreckout chat, I've noticed there seem to be certain hitboxes that wreck you regardless of speed or angle. You can glide into one at a leisurely 5mph and still explode. I think the worst offenders for this are the planes on the top deck of the boat after the route change on... whatever track that is. A monster truck should punt them out into the sea but they're apparently built entirely out of anvils and will wreck you regardless.
That's Ferry Wharf, another one of my favorite tracks. The hitboxes on the fighter jets are actually pretty detailed, in that you can pass under the wings if your car is low enough. The trick is that Split/Second only has two classes of hittable object: smackables (like all the road pylons we've destroyed so far) and walls (like all the walls we've been trying to avoid). There's no middle ground at all, and certain things that you wouldn't expect to be solid are treated as solid. I've been wrecked out by the bouncing dump truck tire on Expressway, for example.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

diacorn posted:

That's Ferry Wharf, another one of my favorite tracks. The hitboxes on the fighter jets are actually pretty detailed, in that you can pass under the wings if your car is low enough. The trick is that Split/Second only has two classes of hittable object: smackables (like all the road pylons we've destroyed so far) and walls (like all the walls we've been trying to avoid). There's no middle ground at all, and certain things that you wouldn't expect to be solid are treated as solid. I've been wrecked out by the bouncing dump truck tire on Expressway, for example.

Yeah, I was specifically thinking of trying to go under the wings and noses of those and being just a little too high; instant wreck when you'd instead expect the plane to bounce away from the impact.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

A monster truck should punt them out into the sea but they're apparently built entirely out of anvils and will wreck you regardless.

A trophy truck like the Ryback Thunder generally weighs somewhere around 2-3 tons. A monster truck would be WAY bigger than that, and would still be in the 5-6 ton range. A small carrier fighter weighs somewhere around 16-20 tons ready for takeoff, down to 10 tons empty. :eng101:

Of course, this is the world of Split/Second, so physics doesn't really apply.

diacorn
Aug 6, 2016

Unreal_One posted:

It's really impressive just how much Split/Second physics occasionally diverge from IRL physics, and I've got just the right footage to show for it next episode.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Unreal_One posted:

A trophy truck like the Ryback Thunder generally weighs somewhere around 2-3 tons. A monster truck would be WAY bigger than that, and would still be in the 5-6 ton range. A small carrier fighter weighs somewhere around 16-20 tons ready for takeoff, down to 10 tons empty. :eng101:

I mean fair enough, but then we run into the debate over whether the Split/Second set objects are real or if it's all cunningly crafted props (packed with explosives).

Dunno if I'd plump for a real, functional aeroplane when an empty shell and several tons of TNT will do. I mean I'd guess the one that drops on Airport Terminal is real enough to glide at least, but the rest?

diacorn
Aug 6, 2016

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I mean fair enough, but then we run into the debate over whether the Split/Second set objects are real or if it's all cunningly crafted props (packed with explosives).

Dunno if I'd plump for a real, functional aeroplane when an empty shell and several tons of TNT will do. I mean I'd guess the one that drops on Airport Terminal is real enough to glide at least, but the rest?
They could be re-purposed objects that were, say, old or obsolete and then fitted with explosives, as in Airplane Graveyard.

I'd posit that it's most likely a mix of real, re-purposed, and purpose-built, though I guess the jetliner in Airport Terminal's the most "real" of those functioning locomotives we've seen thus far. Unfortunately, now that Black Rock Studio's been shut down, it's unlikely we'll ever experience the true extent of the richly detailed Split/Second universe.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Port Bridge is absolutely my favourite track. The yacht is an amazing power play and that final corner is so goddamn satifsying to drift.

Since I made this post I have bought and finished this game.

I would like to recant.

My favourite track is yet to come.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
The section of 1:25 to 2:00 is probably my favorite moment of the LP so far. Poor turtle, you're trying so hard :allears:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I would like to recant.

Yeah, I've been replaying it too. I think the airport is my favorite overall (wish it had some more tracks on the same tileset like downtown and docks) but the canyon/dam track is really something else.

diacorn
Aug 6, 2016

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I would like to recant.

ninjahedgehog posted:

Yeah, I've been replaying it too. I think the airport is my favorite overall (wish it had some more tracks on the same tileset like downtown and docks) but the canyon/dam track is really something else.

Sure is nice that they save the best for last!

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Diacorn has still not told me what Top Gear is, I ended up having to google it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNTnrpL1Uw0

I'm still really confused.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
So uh, embarrassing question- I've just started playing the game, and like Turtilicious I'm having lost of trouble drifting :shobon: I'm using a PS4 controller, and I'm using the left and right triggers for braking and accelerating respectively. Is it just a matter of timing when it comes to letting go of the throttle and braking to drift, or is there another trick to it? It certainly seems harder than it should be, and I'm not talking about Diacorn making things look easy.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

CommissarMega posted:

So uh, embarrassing question- I've just started playing the game, and like Turtilicious I'm having lost of trouble drifting :shobon: I'm using a PS4 controller, and I'm using the left and right triggers for braking and accelerating respectively. Is it just a matter of timing when it comes to letting go of the throttle and braking to drift, or is there another trick to it? It certainly seems harder than it should be, and I'm not talking about Diacorn making things look easy.

There's three ways to drift, with slightly different effects. The first one is mostly accidental, and happens when you turn too hard into a corner. On most cars this results in your back end spinning out, but on some cars you get a useable drift out of it. The Cyclone is one of these, I think.

Second way is to just tap the brake (while still holding the accel) while turning. Longer you hold the brake, the tighter your corner, but it does murder your speed. This can be useful in places like the hairpin at the top end of the long uphill street at the beginning of downtown.

Third way is just to let go of the accel for a moment while turning, and then press it again. I find this to be the most workable one. You can control your arc while drifting a bit by letting go of the accel and pressing again to corner a bit more sharply as needed.

To end drifting you can either turn counter to the angle the car's at to straighten up, or, if you like your current angle, release the accel and stop turning for a second, then press down on the accel alone.

Also all cars drift differently and it's not really well reflected in the stat ratings what they'll do. Some high rated cars I find incredibly floaty, and the Slipstream is middle of the road but solid as a rock. Some of them are like trying to steer a cow in a shopping cart. So just try out different ones and don't let the stats dictate for you. I'm pretty sure in every race except the Elite races the roster of rival cars changes to be roughly the same as what you choose to drive.

diacorn
Aug 6, 2016

CommissarMega posted:

:blush:

MarquiseMindfang posted:

There's three ways to drift, with slightly different effects. The first one is mostly accidental, and happens when you turn too hard into a corner.
Second way is to just tap the brake (while still holding the accel) while turning. Longer you hold the brake, the tighter your corner, but it does murder your speed.
Third way is just to let go of the accel for a moment while turning, and then press it again.
I'd say less that there are multiple specific ways of drifting and more that you can make up your own rules doing it, so long as you know what does what. Even though the first method usually happens when you upset a car at speed, this can actually be your fastest method if you can control it. Likewise, on sudden corners with bad approaches, like the turn onto the landing strip in Airport Terminal, more application of brake will allow your vehicle to turn in, though you don't necessarily need to hold it.

If you're having trouble initiating drifts, certain cars just stick way more than others. The Elite 440 Special that we just unlocked, for example, has a 7/10 Drift score, but because it's so heavy, it doesn't actually break loose for me reliably (you'll see that next episode). Breaking any car loose means upsetting its balance, but if you're having issues getting a car to cooperate, your gas, brake, and turning when you initiate need to be forceful. Just about every car will break loose if you let off the gas, jerk the steering, and slam back on the gas, even the AWD ones. On the other hand, the Cobretti Vortex starts drifting if you so much as nudge it on a straight, which is why I usually stand on the throttle even when I initiate drifts in it-- go back to Episode 3 some time and listen for the engine if you're curious about this.

One thing I'd like to touch on is that how you drift depends not only on your method of upsetting the vehicle, but also your approach. If you approach a corner from the outside and then hit the inside as you drift, you'll minimize the amount of turning you need to do, and you'll find you're able to come out of the corner with as much speed as possible. The more sustained throttle you give a vehicle when drifting, the faster it'll want to drift, and following a good driving line will enable you to do this.

Since a few people in the thread have mentioned they've been trying the game out, I'll touch on this in more detail during this Sunday's video.

diacorn
Aug 6, 2016

Hey everyone, just wanted to give a quick update on what's going on with the video. Unfortunately I've had some more technical difficulties rendering, and I've had to re-do the renders for both the cut and uncut versions of the videos.

It'll be posted tomorrow evening, and the next episode will come out the Wednesday after next as usual!

diacorn
Aug 6, 2016

New Cars

Body Count

We're back to the Airplane Graveyard to take on the Elites and try out some very fast new cars. The AI doesn't make it easy for us, but we're driving mid- to late-game cars now, so they're going to have to pull out all the stops to catch us. That means I take one or two in the face, but we'll persevere and carry on.

Our prize is the Cobretti Pursuit, the next in the "Coyote-likes" that put all their emphasis on high-speed drifting. This one's a lot faster than the Coyote, though its additional speed means we'll have to fight it to keep it under control, especially when the road's not level. This makes it a good choice for tracks like Airport Terminal (and Construction Site, if you can get on and off the freeway), and a bad choice for tracks like Airplane Graveyard.

In other news, I've shelled out for a Tunngle account! That means that even though the servers aren't online any more, we can race in LAN if you have the free client. Turtle's suggested a community race, so if you want to take part or do some 1v1s, PM me or post here.

I've also made a Discord!

diacorn fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Dec 20, 2017

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

A very informative episode! We got to learn about cars, drifting, audio things, and what Turtle's social life is like :v:

I grabbed the free Tuungle thing, still have to test it and see how it feels about my connection, but if it works I'd totally be up for some dumb multiplayer races. It'll be great to get my rear end kicked by actual people instead of the AI!

diacorn
Aug 6, 2016

ShootaBoy posted:

A very informative episode! We got to learn about cars, drifting, audio things, and what Turtle's social life is like :v:

I grabbed the free Tuungle thing, still have to test it and see how it feels about my connection, but if it works I'd totally be up for some dumb multiplayer races. It'll be great to get my rear end kicked by actual people instead of the AI!
Great!

I've made a Discord so we can coordinate this thing. I'm hoping to have something big happen at the end of the LP, which will probably be around late January.

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
Ah, thanks for showing off Sudden Death, I dig the all out assault the trucks throw at you. I also tensed up when you were able to squeeze past one of them around a corner it was moving towards, as I have discovered that the trucks will simply crush you if there is not enough room between them and a hard surface to pass.

As to the question of Goofus and Gallant with regards to drifting, the only real difference is that Goofus will end up grinding a wall as part of whatever it is they do. Anything that does not begin or end in a wall grind should be considered Gallant, regardless of actual technique.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
You mentioning the elite car driving like a truck is interesting because I noticed the description mentioned that it has a bunch of armor plating on it. Is it stronger against explosions than normal cars?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Been meaning to play this game again so why not watch someone do it? I only just finished 7 so you might have discovered this since then but that "INSTANT REPLAY" box that appears occasionally is actually a prompt to trigger a manual replay. I don't remember how it handles the racers and players when you watch it but it's for the big level 2 power plays and gives you some of those dramatic camera angles you see in the episode teasers and lets you actually see the wrecks you cause instead of them being way far off in the distance. I don't remember how to trigger the replay but it's one of those buttons?

Polaron posted:

You mentioning the elite car driving like a truck is interesting because I noticed the description mentioned that it has a bunch of armor plating on it. Is it stronger against explosions than normal cars?

A higher strength stat means a car or truck is pushed around less from an explosion.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Awful.app is 100% not awful. Carry on folks. Nothing to see here.

diacorn
Aug 6, 2016

ModeWondershot posted:

I also tensed up when you were able to squeeze past one of them around a corner it was moving towards, as I have discovered that the trucks will simply crush you if there is not enough room between them and a hard surface to pass.
The one real trouble spot on Warehouse Strip that I've identified is the outside line on the last corner leading into the warehouse row (Turn 4, from the starting area). There are a couple other spots it can happen, but this spot has the majority of my grinding deaths.

Polaron posted:

The 440 Special does handle explosions way better than normal cars of its size, but all that armor is expressed through the 440 Special's 7/10 Strength stat and its land-yacht handling. In my experience with the game, I've observed Strength to primarily affect both how much the car is displaced by an explosion, and how quickly control returns to you after your car is affected. The former seems to be directly related to how close you are to the epicenter of an explosion as well, but a high Strength score can dampen that so you barely notice it.

Kibayasu posted:

Been meaning to play this game again so why not watch someone do it? I only just finished 7 so you might have discovered this since then but that "INSTANT REPLAY" box that appears occasionally is actually a prompt to trigger a manual replay.
Thanks for pointing this out! I meant to talk about it in the episode. I discovered later, from watching other Youtube footage of the game on 360 and PS3, that you can get a prompt for the Instant Replays on those versions, but I haven't seen one on the PC version. I don't know if this means it's not available on PC, or if I'm just not hitting the right button.

I'm currently arranging a goon race day on PC, if you'd like to join us!

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Oh man, I hope I can be free whenever race day is. I'd be utterly hopeless but every race needs one person that does nothing but sabotage everyone else from the back of the pack, surely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

diacorn
Aug 6, 2016

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Oh man, I hope I can be free whenever race day is. I'd be utterly hopeless but every race needs one person that does nothing but sabotage everyone else from the back of the pack, surely.
I've posted a Discord link in the OP where we can figure it out. I'm expecting it'll happen shortly after the end of Ep. 12, which should be in early February.

• Locked thread