Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
Yeah but last year there were times when the offense was too conservative/generic, Downing was given most of the credit for Carr's development and he was allegedly about to be poached for an OC spot somewhere else...it all made sense at the time.

Still too early to tell if it was a bad move or not.

I'm starting to believe the conspiracy that the whole team is letting Carr die out there since he didn't kneel/sit for the anthem last week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Black Sunshine posted:

I'm starting to believe the conspiracy that the whole team is letting Carr die out there since he didn't kneel/sit for the anthem last week.

hello, reddit

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Black Sunshine posted:

Sure, but we had a very good offense last year and it was supposed to be even better with Downing opening up the playbook, signing Jared Cook and all the younger guys just progressing to another level. I can't just chalk it up to facing a couple good D's. Something is wrong, they look nothing like the offense they're supposed to be these past 2 games.

Jared Cook dropping ball in the endzone isn't helping, but is very much Jared Cook.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
There's something profoundly sad about the Raiders now.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Like a familiar childhood blanket

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Blitz7x posted:

Like a familiar childhood blanket

NFL films just did another special on the tuck rule too. Feels like home.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Honest question where I don't mean to be a prick. But why do Raiders fans focus so much on the Tuck Rule game when the team made the Super Bowl the very next year?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Because talking about that super bowl isn't very fun either

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Honest question where I don't mean to be a prick. But why do Raiders fans focus so much on the Tuck Rule game when the team made the Super Bowl the very next year?

Because Al Davis traded Gruden to the Bucs after the tuck rule game. It changed history.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Heh

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Turn this into the draft picks thread tia

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

Volkerball posted:

Because Al Davis traded Gruden to the Bucs after the tuck rule game. It changed history.

Yeah, the team wasn't changed in any significant way the next year and the scheme was kept exactly the same...even when going against Gruden in the Super Bowl. He created that offense. They didn't change anything about the calls...yeah.

At least one Bucs player, I think Lynch, was heard on the sideline during the game saying something like "this is exactly like he said it was going to be" and it's pretty much understood that he was referring to Gruden telling the D all of the offensive terminology.

gently caress Callahan and gently caress that lovely Tuck Rule game.

Anyway, speaking of people loving up with offensive schemes...how about Downing is garbage and Musgrave was the magic behind last year after all. The secondary is trash as well but it's hard to blame the D too much when you only give up 17. This offense is giving me PTSD of the ol Bed n Breakfast days.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Al Davis looks like one of the Orcs in Shadow of War.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Black Sunshine posted:

Anyway, speaking of people loving up with offensive schemes...how about Downing is garbage and Musgrave was the magic behind last year after all. The secondary is trash as well but it's hard to blame the D too much when you only give up 17. This offense is giving me PTSD of the ol Bed n Breakfast days.

This. Apparently Musgrave's offense was too conservative, but here we are with only Crabs and the occasional Patterson run representing anything close to the explosive plays the offense produced all the time last year.

I've never really had the opportunity before to overreact to the Raiders underachieving when they supposedly should be Super Bowl bound, but holy poo poo I'm already wishing the dude was gone.

The337th fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Oct 16, 2017

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

a new study bible! posted:

Al Davis looks like one of the Orcs in Shadow of War.

quote:

“We were hanging out after a game, loading the car up, and this black Lincoln Town Car comes up, the window goes down, boom. He goes [in a distinctly Al Davis Brooklyn accent], ‘Hey McCown, come here.’ It's like a scene out of Goodfellas. My heart is beating fast, and he says, "The second quarter, you threw the ball in the flat. You had [wide receiver John] Madsen on the corner. Why didn't you throw the corner?’ I'm stumbling through the answer, I'm following my reads and doing what I'm supposed to do, I didn't want to sell out the coaches. I kind of fumbled through the answer, and I get done talking, and he nods his head and goes, ‘It's the Raidahs, throw the ball dahnfield.’ And brrrrrrp the window goes up and he pulls off. It was a great experience.

“He was so sharp, even at that age. We walk in and we're hanging out waiting for a team meeting to start, and here he comes in with his walker, and he sees one of our rookie D-ends, and he says, ‘Hey, last year, you played with your right hand down. Now you're playing with your left hand down. Why? Put your right hand down, you had your best games …’ He rattled off the three games in college that he did that—his sack numbers and everything … Commitment to Excellence wasn't just something he had copy written. It was, legit, his life.”

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Volkerball posted:

Do you think that Raiders team would have beaten the greatest show on turf era Rams?

I don't think they had the defense that those Patriots had but that game would have been fun

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

a neat cape posted:

Do you think that Raiders team would have beaten the greatest show on turf era Rams?

I don't think they had the defense that those Patriots had but that game would have been fun

Coin toss imo. Would've been a fun game for sure.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
It doesn't matter whether the Raiders would have been able to beat the Rams because they would have just lost to the Steelers the week prior.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It doesn't matter whether the Raiders would have been able to beat the Rams because they would have just lost to the Steelers the week prior.

Didn't the still pretty much intact GSOT Rams lose in the NFC CG to the Bucs the year the Raiders went to the Super Bowl? Or am I remembering that wrong?

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
The year before was when they lost against the Pats in the SB. you might be confusing that with the '99 NFCCG where the Rams barely beat Tampa Bay like 11-6?

In 02 they went through Philly to get to the SB.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

The 2000 Rams still had the great offense (ranked first) but godawful defense (ranked last). Every game was like 38-35. Then they lost to the Saints in the Wild Card round, the Saints' first ever playoff victory

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Close thread tia

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
The Oakland Raiders are now the best team in the NFL due to transitive property.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:
https://twitter.com/RAIDERS/status/921226998483005440

https://twitter.com/DLineVids/status/921260376548712448

That's his left hand. He's right-handed.

warcrimes fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 20, 2017

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Oakland Raiders: Carr's Back Watch

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I closed this thread multiple times but I guess a mod kept reopening it

Oh I see the name change. This is acceptable.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Gee who knew? Carr comes back and suddenly the Raiders are good again. Wonder why.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Fenrir posted:

Gee who knew? Carr comes back and suddenly the Raiders are good again. Wonder why.

The Raiders are still bad with Carr :ssh:

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

Fenrir posted:

Did you even watch the loving Washington or Denver games? The scheme/play calling was hosed.

I'm still extremely apprehensive about Downings capabilities as an O - coordinator until he proves he can go more than a game or two without having a trash gameplan. As everyone was saying, he basically just stole a bunch of poo poo the Steelers were doing.

No bullshit, get Romo out of that booth and give him Todd's job right now.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Fenrir posted:

The raiders have looked pretty bad in games WITH carr this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
He was fine vs the Titans and Jets to start the season. The Washington and Denver games were really bad and I didn't watch the Chargers game so I can't speak for that. The oline is playing worse and Cooper's hands have been shakey most of the season. Right now I'd put more of the blame on the OC than Carr just from what I've seen this year vs last year.

• Locked thread