Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
It's not really possible to do a study of an anonymous volunteer movements with any accuracy. Maybe I owe AA my life, but I'm perfectly willing to see and admit it's( IMO many) problems - not making millions of people sober is just not one of them. Anyway, I don't think this argument is productive to the thread, so I'll stop here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Caredresser posted:

I took the DMT and ultimately regret it because I then went ahead and smoked weed after. Then went and got some changa and some pot to "breakthrough". Which I did but I had 2 months sobriety and I ruined it!!

Seeing a GP soon to talk instability and impulsivity but drat. I regret my actions

What do you suppose a GP is going to be able to do about your lack of willpower? There isn’t a pill or substance on the planet that will reverse years of fear/reward stimulus interaction. A lovely fact of life for an addict is that it often takes some serious pain to get clean. I was lucky enough to be in a spot where I could just say ‘gently caress everything’ and quit my job, leave my girlfriend and go to rehab.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Tias posted:

It's not really possible to do a study of an anonymous volunteer movements with any accuracy. Maybe I owe AA my life, but I'm perfectly willing to see and admit it's( IMO many) problems - not making millions of people sober is just not one of them. Anyway, I don't think this argument is productive to the thread, so I'll stop here.

I agree - I think the truth is between the 5-10% which seems really low and 50-75% which seems high. The statistics for addiction are tough on every level because there's no accurate way to poll people who are naturally isolative and sometimes shameful about their behavior. I have heard the statistic that 1 out of 10 people deal with addiction and even that seems hard to verify, but I don't know how they came up with number so maybe it was more controlled than I am thinking.

If you have more to say about it I think it is relevant but it's up to you.

[quote="“meanolmrcloud”" post="“477012145”"]
What do you suppose a GP is going to be able to do about your lack of willpower? There isn’t a pill or substance on the planet that will reverse years of fear/reward stimulus interaction. A lovely fact of life for an addict is that it often takes some serious pain to get clean. I was lucky enough to be in a spot where I could just say ‘gently caress everything’ and quit my job, leave my girlfriend and go to rehab.
[/quote]

I was trying to think how to reply to that because I definitely didn't want to give off a "told you so" vibe since that is not helpful. But your are totally right - a GP will help if there is schizophrenia to deal with but otherwise they are not equipped to help anyone with their self control and not using a substance except for prescribing medications that inhibit impulsive behavior or anti smoking medications and things like that. They do not have the answer to "why did I think DMT was going to help me not abuse substances.

This is a tough one because ultimately your brain is the thing that will keep you from using but right now you absolutely can't trust yourself and have to find people that you can trust and believe them. Someone you trust enough to hear what we said on the thread about not doing DMT and trust them despite you being absolutely sure that it will be good for you. Your brain is relying on substances not just to feel good but as a coping mechanism and a means of survival - at least in terms of what the science says about it. You can't trust your judgement because your brain is going to say "you need to do this" but not in a clear way where you can say "no I don't!" - it is going to make you rationalize it until it sounds like a great idea. It can be so crazy because to anyone not in your situation of course it sounds ridiculous to think that doing more drugs will keep you from doing drugs. It is just an absurd concept. But your brain will not let you hear that and will easily convince you that it is a great idea because it thinks that it needs it to survive.

So ultimately that is why you have to have someone or multiple people in your life that have dealt with this before and can tell you the truth and you can trust them even if your brain is trying to say otherwise. This is a strong point of AA, NA and the program because you have a room full of people you can call when you feel like drinking or using and you have a sponser - all of whom can see your situation objectively and you convince yourself through going to meetings that you can trust them to tell you when you are going to gently caress up. That is why you get everyone's phone numbers at meetings and practice calling around even when you don't need help and try to call your sponser everyday so that they can possibly even see problems before you can even recognize them.

It's not easy but there are solutions to this problem - a general physician is not one of them though.

Caredresser
Oct 10, 2012

by zen death robot
I got probated but you're right. I'm on all the medication I can be on. I attended a government run Early Recovery session yesterday, it's a group participative lecture where you talk out some stuff. There's 6 modules over 6 weeks and I plan to see every one out.

From there there's NA/AA or SMART recovery, I'm a bit spiritual myself so I'm happy to try out any or all of the three. I'll ask my drugs counsellor (I see a guy 1 on 1 fortnightly as well) where all those in my area are.

I'll get an update to my psychologist as well, I told him I planned to take DMT and he wanted to hear a follow-up so I better let him know I'm not dead

UnderToad
Mar 3, 2010
I quit drinking December 2016 by tapering down for a few months then just stopped completely. They told me quitting cold turkey could cause seizures or death. They gave me some benzodiazepine pills to take instead of drinking if withdrawel symptoms happened. I took 2 that helped stay calm one time. It was hard to sleep for a long time, my heart would pound like I was running a marathon, it was bad enough to make my chest ache, almost like a fight or flight adrenaline rush except that I was lying down, just trying to sleep. Eventually that went away. I actually miss drinking and will ,probably start again someday but the thing is I can't just enjoy one or two, once the buzz kicks in I would have to keep it going until getting pretty lit if it was a work night, or until falling down if it wasn't. Knowing that is how I am there is no good reason to start again.

best of luck to you all

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

UnderToad posted:

I quit drinking December 2016 by tapering down for a few months then just stopped completely. They told me quitting cold turkey could cause seizures or death. They gave me some benzodiazepine pills to take instead of drinking if withdrawel symptoms happened. I took 2 that helped stay calm one time. It was hard to sleep for a long time, my heart would pound like I was running a marathon, it was bad enough to make my chest ache, almost like a fight or flight adrenaline rush except that I was lying down, just trying to sleep. Eventually that went away. I actually miss drinking and will ,probably start again someday but the thing is I can't just enjoy one or two, once the buzz kicks in I would have to keep it going until getting pretty lit if it was a work night, or until falling down if it wasn't. Knowing that is how I am there is no good reason to start again.

best of luck to you all

Have you looked into finding some sort of support network, like AA?

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

Thursday Next fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Oct 16, 2017

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

UnderToad posted:

best of luck to you all

You're describing alcoholism. Consider getting into treatment or AA - also, check the addiction and recovery thread for goons. We're a friendly bunch and already willing to lend an ear!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

Tias posted:

People in the social sciences regularly study behavior that has a private or anonymous component. There's nothing about alcoholism or AA that would suggest that it's uniquely impossible to study objectively in a way that gang membership, sexual behavior, political preference, racism, etc. are not.

• Locked thread