Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Juno in the Scans, Yuno in the official release.

Despite not being able to watch a lot of the popular sequels, there's a lot that looks interesting to me on that list. I want to watch less this season though, so I can catch up on older stuff... Argh. So far I'm considering-

Code:Realize: Sousei no Himegimi
Houseki no Kuni
Infini-T Force

But I'm not certain since I don't like their visual styles very much. These ones are strong maybes since they seem interesting.

Inuyashiki
Juuni Taisen
Children of the Whales
The Archmagus' Bride

The definitely going to watch ones are-

Dies Irae
Himouto! Umaru-chan R
Just Because!
Kekkai Sensen & Beyond
Net-juu no Susume
Food Wars! The Third Plate
Drinking Couple

And I'm still continuing Ballroom and Guru Guru. Why... why is anime good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

"A Sister Is All You Need" oomph, that one sounds even worse in English.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Allarion posted:

I'm interested in just because, though I forget the specific reasons why

I'm interested because I'm pretty sure the Tawawa on Monday guy was involved in the character designs and I like his art. I actually have no idea what the show will look like or be about besides that, but I'm not expecting much.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Dzhay posted:

Anyway, Juuni Taisen seems really dumb, so I should love it.

I don't know what to think of the first episode. Spoilers- They spent like half of the episode on the Boar's backstory and then she got murdered at the end, so what the hell was the point? The character designs (and the characters) are batshit crazy and the animation is nice though, so I'll stick with it.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Wasn't there another cute comedy show with weird mouths? Not diamonds, but like teardrops or that kind of thing.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

dogsicle posted:

trainwreck as a term should really be retired, so i'm reluctant to say even a show like bahamut s2, which totally took a dive in the back half and burned a ton of fan goodwill, should be described as one.

drat, really? I heard so much praise for it in the first half I was really looking forward to watching it.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I thought Dies Irae was the LogH show?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

poo poo, that'll teach me to not read German titles. Good thing I hadn't watched it yet, that would have been both awkward and embarrassing. "Where the hell are the spaceships"

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Yeah, I have no idea where Just Because! is going but the character designs are cute and I love the LINE chats so I'm gonna stick with it and see where it goes.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I don't know what possesses animation companies to look at great shows like Food Wars and My Hero Academia and decide, "No, we are going to do it like Toriko."

I mean, besides the overwhelming potential profits of being the next One Piece. Besides that.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Fangz posted:

why aren't you watching guruguru

A question that everyone not watching needs to answer. AOTY every year

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

It's very fast paced to the point where it feels like multiple episodes in one at times, but all of them are great episodes. The jokes are genuinely funny, the characters are good and adorable, and the animation, particularly the bit where it gets pixelated when they zoom in, is just beautiful.

Someone post the webm of Kukuri going kyaa and running away from Nike, it's literally the cutest thing ever animated.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Free had too much focus on drama ect and not enough hot-blooded swimming so I didn't watch much of it, but I have enjoyed seeing the recent compilation movies. They trim the fat and keep just the most important bits of Eternal Summer and were actually really entertaining, especially the second one with RIn/Sosuke. I never liked Rin much since I only saw his being-a-dick parts in the first series not the redemptive-ish second half, so I was surprised by how good it was.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

AnoHito posted:

I'm still mad they made her less fluffy.

Morimori was flufflier in the manga/novel/whatever this is based on? Go on.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

It’s a reference to the events of recent episodes.

Aah, gotcha. I got up to episode 3 last night, gonna watch the last two today, so not quite there yet. I thought they'd actually changed her body type some for the anime or something but couldn't find any examples from a quick google so I got curious.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Dang, I'm trying to watch less anime but there's like eight shows I'm interested in, not counting sequels I can't watch yet like Sins cause I haven't seen S1.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Anyone else still watching Imouto Sae Ireba Ii? Leaving it in Japanese since the English title is even more embarrassing.

I can't say it's a -good- show, and there's way too much problematic poo poo in there for me to ever recommend it to anyone who I don't 100% know is as garbage as I am, but poo poo, it's way better than I expected it to be. When it isn't doing sexual harassment gags and it's just dealing with light novel/anime stuff or mundane real world poo poo and the characters are just sitting around playing games, drinking, and chatting about interesting stuff, it is really entertaining. I haven't seen many Cute Girls Doing Cute Things shows, but between this, Shirobako, and that new MMO show this season (Not to compare any of them to Imouto), I guess my preferred genre is becoming Adults Doing Regular Things (That They Love.) Any recommendations in that genre would be rad, if more exist.

Also, the card game they played last episode (Cat and Chocolate) is one I've played before in Japan and it's a blast, so it was a treat to see it in the show.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Wark Say posted:

So, I know there's no one following that Imouto show from this season, but the latest episode was brutal in that depiction of somebody's creation getting poo poo on publicly via twitter. :(

Gosh there were two of us last page who said we're watching it.

Also that started off really funny, then it got progressively sadder, the following scene was pretty emotional. It's what made me bring it up here before, things like that are what I'm watching it for.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Space Flower posted:

i remember when people said this about oreimo, rofl

That was because they weren't blood related or whatever, right? I never watched it.

Imouto Sae is a sister show in title only because there actually isn't a little sister character in the main cast. The main dude's bff has a little sister who has showed up all of twice for quick gags, but that's it. It's just the main character's obsession since he likes that trope and writes light novels with little sister characters.

Wark Say posted:

My bad. It's been a while since I posted in this thread, CP. :(

No worries! I'm just glad someone else is enjoying it. :)

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i was hooked when ange told the guy the gun wasn't loaded, and then used that same gun to kill him.

Yeah that scene and the delivery was so loving good.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I get the German Sailor Moon thing, anime fans got desperate back in the day. I remember watching a few episodes of Lost Universe in Spanish since I found out they played it on one of the Spanish channels and I was a huge Slayers fan at the time. Couldn't understand a word but it was cool to see anime on TV.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

This week's ImoSae is a love letter to tabletop RPGs and it is packed with enough fantastic moments for me to question why more people aren't watching it and enough skeeviness to immediately answer that question.

The best meta-gag for me though was in the ending credits when it filled up half the screen listing every single person/creature who showed up in the TRPG game world, from the important Princess to Goblin C, all credited to the same guy because he was their DM.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

dogsicle posted:

it definitely had a lot of untapped potential but instead was an overly-extended gag about how awful nayu can be as a character :sigh:

True that, the same gag didn't need to happen like three times. She has a cute design but I think at this point no explanation for why she is the way she is will make up for her screentime. I'm fine with fanservice myself, but it makes the show impossible to recommend even when there's so much else I like about it. :sigh:

Waffleman_ posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIcvHSUCiAs

Ahem.

E: Also the Pirate Rap is the only good thing from the original One Piece dub.
It gave the OP fan community an enemy to hate for years, but I would still put that Fake Franky Dub as the best thing to indirectly come from the One Piece dub.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I have respect for anyone willing to jam the lyric AND A CARROT NOSED DOG into their work.

I don't know the originals to compare but I am a legitimate fan of the US Shaman King and Digimon Frontier openings.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

kater posted:

Someone please stop those children.
Made In Abyss 2: Put Those Kids Back Where They Came From Or So Help Me

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I am simultaneously insanely happy because Chihayafuru is life and I never broke down and read the manga so it'll all be new, but also sad because it has been a drat long time since S1/2 so I remember nothing about how it ended. oh noooo gotta watch Chihayafuru again woe is me

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I hope Captain Tsubasa will fill this Haikyuu-shaped hole in my heart. Insane sports action and cute characters please.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

YggdrasilTM posted:

I guess? It's like the Sailor Moon remake. I just don't see the appeal.

Think of it like JoJo's Bizarre Adventure or Made In Abyss or Blend-S or Game of Thrones.

It's a television program that some people have made and they hope other people will watch it and enjoy it enough to buy the merchandise so they can make money off of it. Nobody is interested in every show (barring a few people without any strong interests or standards) so nobody is special for not being interested in one program or another.

For a more specific answer, it's like this/last season's Mahoujin Guru Guru. Fans of the old show will find appeal in more content, better pacing, better animation ect and enjoy it, new watchers will find appeal in an interesting new show to watch with the bonus of being a legacy show with a good reputation, and people who aren't interested in it won't watch it and that's fine.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

YggdrasilTM posted:

Because in this case it's an anime technically inside my watching range, but it is
1) a remake
2) of a soccer anime
3) that I didn't like in the first place.

I get mildly annoyed at pokemon reboots too.

What the heck is your watching range and how was Tsubasa anywhere in it if you don't like any part of it

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Expect My Mom posted:

sorry i've been thinking a lot about FFX lately, but for seemingly no reason

In my restless dreams, I see that game. Final Fantasy X.

I never watched past the first episode of Osomatsu but while I don't harbor any ill will towards the series I do hate its insane amount of merch in Japan at the moment so I would be fine if the hype dies down and every magazine cover isn't Osomatsu for a while.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Was Animegataris as good overall as these examples are making it seem? It didn't catch me enough to start it but if the jokes are that good throughout that may have been a mistake.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Did anyone actually watch Handshakers? It looked so bad and there's so much leftover merch here in Japan, I like to think it was a massive flop but I also know nothing about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

AnacondaHL posted:

Well Just Because ended, not too much notable other than the audio black hole used in the very last post credits scene which was done pretty well, but overall I think anime (i.e. not KyoAni) was the wrong medium for this show.

I don't think it was very strong week to week, but the first episode was great and I got emotional at a few points in the last episode and really liked the finale overall. It may have a lot to do with my currently working in a Japanese school and looking ahead to graduation though, it's hecking bittersweet as gently caress.

• Locked thread