Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

RatHat posted:

Did you copy this from somewhere else? Because it's not quite right. Asta isn't the one that gets the five-leaf clover grimoire, though everything else is correct.

no, juno gets a 4 leaf and asta gets a 5. it's just that his book is so dirty and lovely that no one can tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
is that the blade runner anime?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it keeps getting delayed. i'm assuming that they keep making and remaking the entire show but can't air any of it because it is too good for people to handle.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that has to be the grossest possible way of describing a gf with a healthy interest in sex.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if someone exclusively writes one kind of ending they lose their impact. a writer who mixes things up so that a given story could have any kind of ending is more fun.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
amazon likes to move in on new markets and then completely destroy all their competition. with anime strike, they don't seem to realize that their competition is piracy.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Rangpur posted:

I finally got around to watching Railgun, and liked it. Which left me wondering why I put off watching it for so long. Then I started Index and went, "Oh yeah, that's why." I'm guessing the author wrote Railgun after Index was finished? Because despite being the same setting and genre (more or less) Index was kind of a mess by comparison.

Admittedly I've only seen the anime so I don't know how that garbled things, though apparently the LN still has the rather immediate and jarring shift in emphasis. "Behold! Our setting, the city of scientific wonder and esper research! Now forget all about that and focus on wizard politics instead!" The whole thing came off like the writer was wildly flailing about for ideas. That said, I'm inclined to give season 3 a shot since it sounds like the author gradually found his footing as time went on.

nah, it's still all about touma losing 80 gallons of blood every 3 days while being preachy as gently caress

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
a man in a lab coat gave a thumbs up, so it's totally scientific.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
season 3 of railgun would cover some pretty awesome stuff. season 3 of index will still feature touma and there is even the awful possibility of index showing up.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

Oh yeah isn't it the Athletic Festival arc next with Shohoku? That should be rad, I remember that being my favorite arc of the Railgun manga.

no, it would be rad. s3 of railgun hasn't been announced as far as i know.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Strange Quark posted:

Jyushimatsu ate a woman and I'm still processing this.

yeah, that sounds like him

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Kytrarewn posted:

I don't remember my Negima having quite so much blood and dismemberment..... or nudity, for that matter, even in the Xebec version.

Still, it's kinda cool that they went back to a variant of Happy Ready Go for the theme song for UQ Holder. They sort of threw the audience straight into some manner of bizarre plot, but I'll be looking forward to seeing where it goes from here.

EDIT:

Going back to the topic from the last page, I still think I prefer Index to Railgun, but I have to say the main plot of Railgun S2 Misaka Clones is the high point of the both series, with the possible exception of "Our spaceship has hidden weapons systems" from Endymion.

academy city is an amazing concept and stories in the index universe are only good when they focus on it. the magic stuff is very dull and cliched by contrast. when the plots go all in on the mad science not even touma with all his baggage is enough to drag them down.

i'm hoping uq holder gets heavily censored for tv. i liked the story and characters, but later on there were way too many butt nekkid little girls running around for me to tolerate.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
cuteness > accuracy in every situation

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

C.M. Kruger posted:

Or why the planet in Trigun has a very wide variety of non-standardized 20th century guns.

Pumpkin Scissors was another one where, IIRC, everybody was using random guns from the WWI/interwar period, that and the anti-tank Thompson/Center Contender, but it's been like 10 years since it aired and I barely remember it.

there's not much to remember, since it completely squandered the amazing premise of a BERSERKER WHO FIGHTS TANKS. still kinda pisses me off that it wasn't just an increasingly implausible series of man v. tank fights.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

C.M. Kruger posted:

I think there was like one tank and it shot him with a shell full of slow-acting poison gas so he just walked up and shot through the vision slits.

nah, there were like 3 tanks and then they dropped the tank fighting completely. i really liked the concept of man vs. tank!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
vanishing line: the hero is a pretty standard japanese parody of american action heroes. the problem is, i can't figure out if it is actually supposed to be a parody or if we are meant to take the giant muscle man who loves big titty blondes and rare steaks bigger than his head at face value. but hey, the rad chains from honoo no kokuin made a very brief appearance.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
gantz has some good parts but is not as a whole very good

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
nah, unlike rwby them looking bizarre and inhuman is intentional.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
did you ever watch majestic prince? it was from the same season as valvrave and gargantia, both of which had a lot of hype but ended up disappointing. mjp was the low budget dark horse mecha show, but it ended up being much better than the other two.

as for kuromukuro, i don't think a third season was ever planned. the japanese school life was a pretty big part of the premise, plus any third season would have ditched the majority of the cast.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

a kitten posted:

Huh, Tiger & Bunny just popped up on Netflix.

gently caress yeah, time for a rewatch.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't anyone is gonna pay to sponsor an anime from years ago which wasn't particularly successful in the us.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'll probably just skip the filler.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it was also a very faithful adaptation of the books.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think shows that start well and then turn into poo poo are way worse than shows which are poo poo the whole way through.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they are heavily changing the early chapters of uq holder for the anime, presumably so they can rush into the harem hijinks which wouldn't really start until like the third cour otherwise. the negima anime curse continues.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Sindai posted:

Judging from the OP and what's happened so far the anime is cutting lots of stuff so that it can assemble the full harem quicker. Which is a shame because I liked the early setting stuff.

Also they have to censor every fight because the main character frequently takes advantage of his immortality and gets messily dismembered.

i think uq holder could use a whole bunch of censorship, what with all the naked children later on.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

I know the MC is, but what about the author?

scum

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that was such a pretty show

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
no, because those are opposites.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
see, i don't normally care about spoilers but that's the sort of thing you should tag.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they never said what this guy who is completely different from everyone around him is, no.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
2017 has had a lot of good shows, but yeah guruguru is easily the best.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Kytrarewn posted:

It's interesting to compare against, for example, Negima!? and Mahou Sensei Negima. While not a drama like FMA and Kino, they covered largely different storylines in very different ways down to having seemingly different and mutually exclusive mechanics for the magic systems. Shaft (presumably Xebec wasn't involved in the conversation at that point) did a brilliant job of not making the story feel either rushed or excessively-familiar, even for someone who watched both series back to back. And despite ignoring a couple of seemingly-major plot beats from the early series (largely revolving around Asuna) you still got a feel for the characters, their personalities and their respective places in the world.

I keep meaning to get around to reading the manga to see how both plotlines actually intertwine, but have not as yet.

negima!? was a weird silly comedy, while every other negima adaptation focused 100% on the naked girls. and to be fair, that is probably where most of the series' popularity comes from even if the flashy magic fights are more popular around here.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm going to continue to avoid those forums because they are terrible

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
oh, so kill kill die murder kill survived.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Looks like a prequel to me. Lots of faces there who shouldn’t be.

i thought that too, until shang showed up. he explicitly wasn't around for any prequels.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

He may have been doing other stuff in the same general area, even if he didn’t meet Lin and his merry band of rogues.

he didn't know jack about that country or anyone in it in season 1. plus, there was a shot in the trailer where stabby stab you was on the ground gravely wounded but refusing to die.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i guess sword isn't real big on memory erasing charms, even when not using them leads a dumb kid close to her death again.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
thanks for the incredibly persuasive argument against ever reading 'alternate history forums'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

GorfZaplen posted:

I won't commit to Darling in the Franxx until I know what it's about

a girl in tights sitting on a technothrone, obviously.

• Locked thread