Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Was Yuuki Yuuna the show where they become magical girls, and it turns out to suck, and it also turns out the entire universe outside their city was destroyed, and the thread kept arguing over whether it was apologia for Imperial Japan in WWII? I didn't see a lot of room for sequels in that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I finally got around to watching Railgun, and liked it. Which left me wondering why I put off watching it for so long. Then I started Index and went, "Oh yeah, that's why." I'm guessing the author wrote Railgun after Index was finished? Because despite being the same setting and genre (more or less) Index was kind of a mess by comparison.

Admittedly I've only seen the anime so I don't know how that garbled things, though apparently the LN still has the rather immediate and jarring shift in emphasis. "Behold! Our setting, the city of scientific wonder and esper research! Now forget all about that and focus on wizard politics instead!" The whole thing came off like the writer was wildly flailing about for ideas. That said, I'm inclined to give season 3 a shot since it sounds like the author gradually found his footing as time went on.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

^^^^^^^^
edit: I said I'd watched Railgun already, so we both know that isn't true

Jeez I was way the gently caress off with how I envisioned the publication order. Still seems like kind of an odd dichotomy though. I think it's the way the series presents Academy City and Espers generally as being somehow the opposite of wizards and magic when there doesn't seem to be much difference in practice. If nothing else, it renders any incredulity the characters express about magic completely ludicrous.

"I dunno 'bout this 'magic,' man. Seems kinda weird & dangerous." *manipulates fundamental force of the universe on an unheard of scale*

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Pre-amnesia Touma was actually just really into tabletop roleplaying, and his personality is an expression of a lingering subconscious desire to punch smug magic-users in the face. His favorite class was Monk, so can you really blame him for carrying a grudge?

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

what can i say, Asta's a scream-y kind of protagonist

ps: the hell happened to your avatar, an actual dog?

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Well you see all advanced technology was rendered unusable by the EMP burst, therefore

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

TBH I assumed Black and White were part of the original manga for exactly that thematic reason. My complaint about 11 & 12 is that I just did not care about what was happening at all. That's due more to Black's weaknesses and the long production delay to be sure, but you know, tough poo poo. Wouldn't be the first anime/manga with a weak arc in there.

The important thing is that the show is back and good.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

dogsicle posted:

i'm gonna recommend everyone watch the first 90 seconds of the imouto show
i wish i could hate you to death

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Wasn't sure what to expect from Land of the Lustrous but the first episode has me intrigued at least. Surprisingly good fit for CGI too.

Meanwhile I knew exactly what to expect from the new Kino anime and it delivered, so can't complain there either. Seems like a strong season so far.

edit: whoever makes the LoL thread, please title it 'A 3.5 on the Moe Scale'

Rangpur fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 10, 2017

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

no, i was talking to my gem, who is also named Bort

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Relin posted:

i will try the langoliers anime
I can only hope it is as good as the Uncle Scrooge story where the Beagle Boys steal a time-freezing machine, then one of them nearly dies running into a gum wrapper.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I somehow missed that Lion S1 was longer than 12 episodes. I just don't know if I can handle such a concentrated dose of The Saddest Boy and Friends.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

The whole FMA/FMA: Brotherhood split makes it kind of a pain to recommend, because any part of the original manga that the 2003 version covered turned out better simply by virtue of not rushing everything to get to the new stuff. I also prefer certain thematic touches re: the homonculi, but I'm willing to concede that doesn't necessarily trump Brotherhood having a tighter, more coherent back half.

I guess you could watch the original anime up until Alphonse gets kidnapped by Greed, then switch to Brotherhood? There's probably stuff that doesn't quite gel with the transition from one to the other but nothing that majorly alters the plot, I think. Or you could just read the manga, though I think it would be a pity to completely skip a genuinely good adaptation, even if you do have to assemble it like Frankenstein's Monster to get the best version.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I know you all are kidding, but watch A Taxing Woman if you get the chance. You could probably get a legitimately good SoL series out of the travails of collection agent.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Does this just apply to Crunchyroll’s German site, or is it worldwide? Probably best to avoid either way though. I wonder if it effects their apps as well. Been a while since I’ve been to their actual website.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Expect My Mom posted:

i too am waiting for part 5 of jojo kengan ashura

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

GorfZaplen posted:

Here's my hot take: Fate is bad because Enkidu is an androgynous bishounen instead of a big burly bear man big green gargoyle jobber
I considered the original FLCL to have about as final an ending as you can get without wiping out the entire cast, but gently caress it, why not? 2017's been a strange year.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

When it comes to Fate/Zero, I increasingly find myself thinking the biggest drag on it was the need to lead into the events of F/SN.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

They're good faces, Brent-san.

I'm not blown away by the rest of the show, but it's pleasant and low key in a way that's appealing when I don't feel like concentrating.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I checked, and the cutoff for the first batch is literally 2 episodes into the Dark Tournament. I'm not complaining, I'm honestly impressed with whoever made that call because it's a real good way to get people hyped for the next part. (And YYH is old enough that fansubs won't be as readily available as the new season hotness.)

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

YYH is also notable for having one of the better reasons for a gang of unkempt youths to enter a high stakes fighting tournament: because the scariest dude you've ever met shows up after you killed him, looking none the worse for wear, and demands you enter the competition or he'll kill you and everyone you love.

Good villains are important.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Well don't keep us in suspense, what's the ketchup scene? No, I am not going to watch that trash fire myself, so dish.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Davincie posted:

get this: evil or live is based on a true story
"...And that story's name was Metal Gear Solid."

Apparently.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

poo poo, I'll award ACCA my personal prize right now for 'Most Unfairly Blinded to What I'm Sure are the Numerous Positive Qualities Through No Fault of its Own.'

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Do any of these works feature an appearance by the giant talking wolf that's also apparently some kind of massively powerful spirit? I've seen it come up more than once but never in any of the actual anime or games.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Thuryl posted:

Primate Murder? It eventually has a significant role in Fate/Grand Order's main story (like, the "hard to talk about without spoilers" kind of significant).
That's the one! I remembered it had some kind of absurd title too, though that is considerably more absurd than I imagined.

Sefal posted:

Does Dragon Ball Super count? DBS this year has been hitting it out of the park with the ToP arc.
I don't see why it wouldn't? They can't all be about sad boys and girls exploring post-apocalyptic wastelands/their hearts.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

get hype for competitive poetry recognition!

no really, get hype

I said get hype, goddammit! :argh:

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

So like Batamn himself gets reincarnated in JRPG world or the random schmoe of the day decides his broken rear end cheat power will be 'is Batman.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Kyte posted:

WORLD. BUILDING!
Don't get me wrong, I'm fascinated, but it's in large part because I got precisely none of that from watching the original series. It's like reading One Piece, then finding out the Gum-Gum fruit was the black egg of the eldritch horrors that unexisted in the sea of chaos at the dawn of the universe before the coming of the Radiant Manifold.

• Locked thread