Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'm not really sure what 'm gonna watch this season. Magus Bride and Konohana Kitan both look interesting, but everything else is either a sequel to something I've yet to watch or doesn't catch my eye.

Might just catch up on things. I've been meaning to give LL Sunshine and March S1 a try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Wark Say posted:

Yeah, watch March. It's a keeper. Also, a friend compared Akiyuki Shinbo's name still being there to the whole "Steven Spielberg Presents" being a thing on Amblin 90's cartoons. Which I thought ruled as a comparison.

My understanding is that Shinbo hasn't actually directed anything in years, but has largely been occupying a role somewhat akin to a producer and a mentor to Shaft's younger directors.

Which I think is cool, tbh. It's cool to think about a studio having an old master around bringing up a squad of pupils to put their own spins on his signature style.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Hopefully they've locked the Euphonium author in a broom closet until it's done.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Konohana Kitan was rather pretty and very cozy. Nothing in the first ep blew me away, but still seems like a solid standard-bearer for CGDCT shows this season.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Really enjoyed the first ep of Kino's Journey - scratches that rare Mushishi itch and Aoi Yuuki's turning in a great performance as Kino. Definitely keeping this one on the queue.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Droyer posted:

Did I imagine it or did the subs refer to Kino as "he"?

I heard someone say that at some point but I can't find it in the actual subs?

At any rate, unless it's an omniscient narrator or maybe Hermes, I don't know why it should matter? I gather Kino's generally seen as NB, sure, but I don't see why some bumfuck villager should be able to glance at them and know not to use "he."

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It's Hermes who says it.

Like with many shows Crunchy's subs make dumb mistakes.

Welp

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Caught the first ep of Ancient Magus' Bride today. Not sure how I feel about it yet - but to be fair I don't think the show wants me to be sure how I feel about it yet. Chise and Elias' relationship/romance is obviously going to be the key to the whole thing, but however Elias conducts himself at home, the fact that their relationship started with him buying Chise at a slave auction means they're going to have to write this thing very carefully indeed.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Don't eat the Ancient Magus' Bread. It's quite moldy.

I cannot speak for the Bride.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Magus Bride

Is Pretty. And I have heard nice things about it so I shall give it room to make its case.

Bad OP tho.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Land Of The Luscious sure is

something.

I'm not sure what yet. But it's certainly something. And I'm interested in finding out precisely what.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Droyer posted:

Nice freudian slip

Oh whoops, I actually thought that was the title. Suppose Lustrous makes more sense tho

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Konohana Kitan continues to be pretty and cozy, although I feel like the end of the latest ep assumed a bit more emotional weight than it's entirely earned yet after just two eps.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Hargrimm posted:

How are the fanservice levels? I've heard it's a bit more gratuitous than is even justified by the onsen setting. I like a good relaxing cozy show, but sudden-onset fanservice really harshes my mellow.

It's pretty fanservicey, yeah. It doesn't feel agressively skeevy or anything to me in terms of where the camera's placed and such, but it's not terribly shy about showing the characters in an onsen with only a few strategically placed glares or locks of hair or what-have-you.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Hargrimm posted:

Thanks, that's kind of a bummer. I basically just want there to be a new Flying Witch every season, that show was so fantastic, like medical-grade relaxation and chill times.

For what it's worth, I'd say Konohana's still worth a try. It IS quite relaxing, and I wouldn't say it feels like the camera's leering at the characters during the onsen scenes.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

nielsm posted:

For everyone who watched Amanchu: Crunchyroll has just gotten a 13th episode of it up, probably an OVA episode of sorts. Haven't watched it yet.

Yeah, it's an OVA. Been making the rounds on the torrent sites for a while. It's pretty good! Teko's friends visit and also are literally just Akari and Aika from Aria.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

....Why?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Teens are the future and to be feared as such

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I liked today's Kino's Journey quite a bit. Show's pushing a lot of buttons anime hasn't pressed for me since Mushishi. Hope that continues.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The Colonel posted:

i liked the first ep of kino more because it stood better on its own rather than rushing through re-adapting something that would inevitably be compared unfavorably to the old show just for the sake of future episodes

it wasn't a bad episode but i feel like the actual adaptation side of it lost a lot of impact in rushing through some of the key points of that arc, which i'm not gonna judge because there's a good reason they did it but episode 1 did a much better job pulling me on board for what's coming next

I thought the second ep worked quite well, not having seen the old show

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

LOL her friends not only have the voice and mannerisms of Aika/Akari, but their SD faces from that show too.

Amanchu is so good.

I always forget just how gorgeous the character art is until I revisit it, too. I'm always a little disappointed when they switch from the gorgeous normal designs to their funny SD faces, lol

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

iospace posted:

Kyubey doesn't have flaws.

Kyubey doesn't know what a flaw is

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Konohana Kitan is extremely pretty.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Does Violet Evergarden count?

I hope it doesn't count.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Konohana Kitan's going on real strong. The 3rd episode in particular had, of all things, a scene that dealt with casual groping with more sensitivity and intelligence than I think I've seen in an anime.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Girl's Last Tour continues to push all of my favorite buttons from Sound Of The Sky. So far it's got a commanding early lead for my AOTS.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Today's Magus Bride episode was really really good, easily the best so far.

More magical creatures gently trying to help Chise build her self-worth, please.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

good news thats literally the entire series

:neckbeard:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I might be dropping Land Of The Lustrous. It's incredibly pretty and all, but the moment to moment flow of the show seems to run on weird moon-logic and I'm having a really hard time grounding myself in any of the characters or finding any sort of baseline rules about how life in this setting is even supposed to work. Like, this whole episode went in a big circle where I initally thought they were going to scrape Phos out of those big glowing Phos-colored cracks in the snail shell that Dia explicitly notices and uses to fight the snail, but then they wave it off with "Welp there's nothing in the shell", but then Cinnabar basically says "did you check the shell" and they go back to what I assumed they were going to do 20 minutes ago.

Just a really...odd show.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

Do they have human ears? Just skin??? What's under that hair???

It appears that the Konohana Kitan mangaka subscribes to the Two Ears theory of Animal Girls

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

*Almost all. Kongo's a gem-person and also extremely male coded, to the point where I initially assumed he was just a very strong human.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

...It’s not a spoiler, though? It’s not a reveal, I was just confused.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Everything Burrito posted:

He's hard enough that a fairly tough gem breaks just by tapping on him so it's kinda clear he's a rock of some sort :v:

To be fair, I initially assumed that he was just a super-tough Master Asia style human, but then someone told me he’s a gem and I realized that there’s no particular reason to think that humans even exist in this setting, so...

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Are the angel girl and her wife in UQ Holder

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Space Flower posted:

They have uh kids or grandchildren or something that look just like them

:hai:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Gender has been shattered into a billion pieces and then melted into a snail's juices.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

....Doesn't the Utena movie end with her and Anthy banging on top of a motorcycle-chariot thing as they ride away from some dude's castle as it crumbles to dust?

You know, like straight people do?

Also Konohana Kitan is sneaky-good, the last two eps have quietly been more sensitive and ambitious than the premise and intro might have led people to believe.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I must say, I've really been enjoying Aoi Yuuki's performance as Kino. It's a lot different from the other stuff I've heard her in, very subtle. Sort of reminds me of Tomoyo Kurosawa's approach to playing Kumiko.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

aoi yuuki's a really good va

:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Maybe

that the gems in Lustrous appear to in some ways correspond to roles that we associate with "male" or "female" but are not actually either of those things

is part of the point?

• Locked thread