Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

dogsicle posted:

why would you describe juuni taisen as a trainwreck

That may not be an accurate description of the work itself, but it's probably going to be an accurate description of the events it depicts. poo poo is going to get extraordinarily messy, and that's most of the fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Moltrey posted:

[watches a well animated 24 minute program with perhaps an overdone premise but has potential] hmm yes, quite similar to a crashed locomotive that might have killed or harmed others

interested in urahara, friends have told me it's good so ill probably watch that tonight

Look, we've got a bunch of murderous freaks trying to kill each other in bizarre and gruesome ways. If this doesn't end in a hideous screaming mass of tangled wreckage, I will not feel that I have received my money's worth.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chumbler posted:

Does the train wreck in Kabaneri?

It literally gets suplexed.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Everything Burrito posted:

which show this season will be the deconstruction of a trainwreck

I would assume Girls' Last Tour will involve salvaging machine parts from wreckage.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Man, upon rewatching Zodiac War's First Episode, all I keep thinking is "The Story is gonna show us that the Awful Boar Lady is right and Monkey is the worst of the bunch, isn't it?" I mean, the Big Brother Dragon just took his deceased younger brother's jewel like nothing, the Boar lady pushed her little sister to commit mass murder and then kill herself and Rabbit seems like a parody of Hisoka, but yeah, the pantsless Girl Scout is evil to the core. Oh boy oh boy.

Also watched the MMO Elite NEET Lady show. And from the OP and the rest of the episode, it seems like she just couldn't handle the pressure and decided to give up. Which honestly is a heckuva lot better than to succumb to Karoshi.

I think it'd be nice if the monkey-girl isn't super-evil, for the very simple reason that it's the less obvious way for things to go. Being more cunning than she lets on seems a given, but it'd be nice if there's some genuine decency there.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sindai posted:

Ancient Magus Bride: Oh my god please tell me "sleigh beggy" is not the official localization.

I don't think anyone ever figured out what the non-nonsense romanisation of that was supposed to be, did they?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
'Sleigh Beggy' looks silly, but does at least fit more with the generally Celtic/Nordic vibe of AMB's magic. 'Slay Vega' feels a little too Latinate.

Speaking of localisations, 'Land of the Lustrous' is a pretty brilliant title for a show about living gems.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

I thought it was kind of tonally inconsistent in a show where a plotline is resolved by someone getting a boner.

Tonal inconsistency in a Nightow show? Well I never.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Caught the first ep of Ancient Magus' Bride today. Not sure how I feel about it yet - but to be fair I don't think the show wants me to be sure how I feel about it yet. Chise and Elias' relationship/romance is obviously going to be the key to the whole thing, but however Elias conducts himself at home, the fact that their relationship started with him buying Chise at a slave auction means they're going to have to write this thing very carefully indeed.

Elias is a decent guy who means well, but he's also an ancient thorn-demon with a totally inhuman mindset who's had minimal human interaction outside of his job, and he has no idea what the gently caress he's doing where Chise is concerned. Any creepy vibes (well, creepy vibes not involving being a skull-faced demon) are due to incompetence rather than malice.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

TriffTshngo posted:

Kekkai Sensen & Beyond: Very yes
GARO - Vanishing Line: Seemed like a more generic Darker than Black with a lot of annoying shaky action cam and by the end it devolved into a CG mess to the point where I'd rather they just go all the way with it like some of the other stuff I watched. Not as cool as the trailer made it seem, hopefully ep2 is better or I'm out.
Land of the Lustrous: What a weird thing. I legitimately don't know how I feel about this but I'm definitely interested.
Black Clover: Just read the manga imo
Infini-T Force: I know jack poo poo about Tatsunoko shows (apart from Crowds) so this is probably not aimed at me but episode 1 seemed decent enough. Love the Final Boss of Bowling.
Juni Taisen: Despite the hilariously edgy backstory of Boar it was pretty fun and dumb. Animation was pretty good.

The hilariously edgy backstories are part of the dumb fun.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Postal Parcel posted:

DtB can get more generic?

Grappling hooks and electricity are significantly less usual as a loadout for urban-fantasy heroes than a big magical sword.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

I like the aesthetic of Urahara, but I'm not sure I like the directing. There's something about use of pacing and cuts and edits that doesn't flow right, it feels stilted. I'm not quite sure how to describe it, other than that I don't like how the directing goes.

I like the new Garo, the insanely macho protagonist is hilarious. He's a giant muscleheaded doofus who carries himself with a sense of humor, without being a cruel jerk. The way he posited a strategy to the female lead (please be a bait for the monster) sat right, like he was empathetic enough that he could trust her to make the correct decision. In a dark hosed up version of America filled with even more demonic horrors, there is still room for big-hearted people willing to do right by others.

Well Zaruba is a prick, but he's stuck in his form and I don't think you're supposed to agree with him.

Given that he's implicitly one of the enforcers of the 'no ladies allowed' rule for Makai Knights, I'm actually a little surprised that Zaruba being a sexist jerk hasn't cropped up more often.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

VostokProgram posted:

my impressions of the season so far:

girls tour is cool, i like the dynamic between the characters. i also like their design. sad that the vehicle doesn't talk

magus bride is very interesting, i expect it'll probably be my favorite show this season if it doesn't do something dumb

side m had a boring prologue and a boring episode 1 but it has promise in that they've teased that a bunch more characters will appear. hopefully in the next 2-3 episodes the show finds its rythm

mmo junkie (netjuu) was boring. i don't even remember what happened in this episode. i'm probably going to give it a few more if time permits but it's not looking good.

no opinions on umaru

The only ways AMB can do something dumb are by (a) bringing in terrible anime-original content (unnecessary - there's enough material for two cours here, if they so choose), or (b) having one of Wit's notorious production disasters (possible, given the OP looks unfinished as gently caress). The source material is very solid.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
It would be cool to see the Chinese zodiac personality types and how they correspond to the characters - the information I've found so far is pretty incomplete. For the record, though, Boar was an interesting take on her archetype.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I've got a busy few days ahead, so I won't have time to make it myself, but I'd be happy to see a Juuni Taiwan thread.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Zetsubou-san posted:

become popular?

Is 4chan popular? I thought it was mostly Russian bots these days.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Moltrey posted:

that 👏 anthology 👏 anime 👏 is 👏 going 👏 to 👏 loving 👏 rule 💀💀💀💀

Oh, so Soichi is showing up? Guess they decided to mix in a little levity, then.

Also, it's probably too long for an anthology, but an animated version of Uzumaki would be wild.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I watched Land of the Lustrous, and it was very nice. Very pretty, especially the backgrounds and the shadows of their translucent gem hair. The cg was really solid, aside from the somewhat awkward walking (which may have been intentional?).

Maybe there are good shows this season besides the idol shows???

That depends. Is Juuni Taisen an idol show?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

kater posted:

King's Game reminds me of The Lost Village from a year or so ago. Never finished that, did it turn out cool? Last I remembered was the main character running away from a Macy's Parade float, which sounds pretty cool to me.

King's Game sucks.

Lost Village kept its weird, bone-dry sense of humour to the end. The big plot-explaining infodump, for instance, was delivered over a lovingly-animated sequence of a minor, supposedly-dead character picking his nose. If you dug that, feel free to watch the rest.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Freakazoid_ posted:

What's the deal with the candle headband? I haven't seen that since a character wore it in ranma 1/2.

Here you go.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

Second episode of Garo was pretty standard Tokusatsu stuff

I like that Sword's dumb 'thank you for your boobs' thing seems to be an in-joke with women he knows well enough to believe they'll find it funny. Guy's a lot classier and more tactful with unfamiliar women than most anime womanisers.

Given that it was created from a black guy, the Horror design this time around could have looked a little less like a demonic gollywog, but it wasn't a huge deal, just an unfortunate coincidence.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

DisDisDis posted:

Is this Rwby?

Ruby, maybe.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Anime fandom has evolved beyond monster-girls. Sexy minerals are the future.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Steven Universe has been on this train for the last three or four years.

What do you think was driving the evolutionary process? :v:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

Is Ancient Magus' Bride good?

The premise of some horse skull demon buying a young kid to be his child bride does not seem like a good show to jump on but it seems to be rated pretty highly.

The important thing to emphasise here is 'horse skull demon'. Elias is really, really not human, and wouldn't even consider the predatory interpretation you're thinking of because he has virtually zero idea what marriage happens to be (or, for that matter, that human beings aren't supposed to be purchasable goods). It's basically a sweet little comedy of errors of Cthulhu and a suicidal teenager teaching each other to be more human than the kind of awful human subculture they live and work with.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Unfortunately, Just Because! seems to be in serious trouble.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Hopefully it’s less poo poo than Nobunaga the Fool.

That show couldn’t even do decent giant robot action, which is, like, the main thing you expect from the Macross guy.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I mainly expect tone deaf episodes about abortion nowadays.

¿Que?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

C'mon dude, all horrors look like demented monstrosities, there would have been nothing that could have not been misconstrued. The horror this time looked like something that ran ridiculously fast, the victim/horror of the week was characterized well pre-horrorification, there were no stereotypical cultural touch-stones that could have been exploited to induce irrational fright in the audience.

The creators acted in good faith. They could have been lazy and exploitative, they were not.

I don’t think the pitch-black skin and bright red lips were mandatory, though. That was the slightly unfortunate bit.

I mean, it’s not like Horrors even have to have faces, let alone ones with those particular connotations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

except the horror doesnt have pitch black skin nor bright red lips

and he has giant bird legs and tiny trex arms and a happy grin

OK, I got the exact shade of the lips wrong, but here he is:

Big, pale lips, bulging eyes, black skin. Little unnecessarily suggestive when they could have gone for, say, an armoured beak to go with the avian theme.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Oct 18, 2017

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

also lol at going into hysterics because a shonen anime had filler. from the way that dude was talking i thought something valvrave-esque had happened.

Actually, come to think of it, which recent-ish shows have gone completely, hideously sideways after a not-terrible start? I know a lot of goons got mad about Kuma Miko, for one, and Virgin Soul did have the all-consuming Sexy Anime Hitler romance arc.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The Colonel posted:

i dropped after the cyber ghost arc and then heard about the stuff after that trying to portray a guy who had done objectively really hosed up poo poo as the good guy, so welp

Also, there were no less than four plot-important dead wives. In a twelve-episode show.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kylra posted:

It's a love story between a 30ish (I think?) year old boy and a 30ish year old girl.

We're all boys and girls when it comes to romance.

What 10 shows are you watching that are better than this?

The boy is late twenties.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
From what I’d seen about Inuyashiki, I’d been getting a rather offputting ‘old man yells at cloud about The Youth Of Today’ vibe off it. Is that actually tolerable?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

CrashScreen posted:

He's just a sweet, lonely old man.

I know the MC is, but what about the author?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

why doesnt yuri on ice have a scene where one of them nancy kerrigan's another guy

I read that as Sarah Kerrigans, and someone pulling off lutz after lutz on the bone-blade tentacles coming out of their back would indeed be pretty rad.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Eela6 posted:

I didn't know what that is! I was proudly anime-free 2005-2015

The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya. It was huge in its day.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

oh, so kill kill die murder kill survived.

Looks like a prequel to me. Lots of faces there who shouldn’t be.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i thought that too, until shang showed up. he explicitly wasn't around for any prequels.

He may have been doing other stuff in the same general area, even if he didn’t meet Lin and his merry band of rogues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

it's definitely way below par but like, symphogear season 1 looks more hosed than that in places and that looked totally fine on the blu-rays and managed to pick itself back up for the finale. just because might get worse, based on what been reported of its production, but I don't think it's the end of the world or anything.

I think the worst-case scenario is probably a Wizard Barristers thing, where the total visual breakdown actually impedes the show’s efforts to tell a comprehensible story (not that WB’s story was all that comprehensible to begin with, mind you, but you catch my drift). Yeah, that can be fixed on DVD, but it’ll also totally ruin the initial broadcast experience.

• Locked thread