Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

this all sounds highly subjective

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

If Sunshine season 2 keeps up the trend of each subsequent Love Live season improving greatly on the one before it it'll probably be AoTY, if it stays of similar quality then it'll be just a really good and fun show. I'm looking forward to it.

Also, from what I understand Kino's Journey isn't like a continuation of the previous series (which didn't really have a big connected serialised story anyway or so i've heard?) so if I don't check out the earlier show I won't be missing anything will I.

if you don't check out the first kino you'll be missing out on a great anime, but in terms of any plot/character stuff you'll be fine. the original author has said in interviews that this new series will cover some of the same stories from the older one, while also adapting others that haven't been animated.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

license announcements are starting to roll out

Crunchyroll/Funimation:
Blood Blockade Battlefront & Beyond
Love Live! Sunshine!! 2nd Season
A Sister's All You Need
King's Game
KONOHANA KITAN
Code:Realize ~Guardian of Rebirth~
Anime-Gataris
Gintama Porori Arc
Digimon tri 4

Sentai, who does all the heavy lifting of getting licenses only to squander them on AnimeShiteAnimeStrike:
Land of the Lustrous
Girls' Last Tour
Umaru S2

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i cannot possibly understand the choice to put umaru on amazon​ because it's going to completely gut viewership for what i thought was a popular show

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Didn't 12 Wars get confirmed for Crunchyroll?

Also, if you have Crunchy, watch Blade Runner 2022 Black Out. Short, (bitter) Sweet and Rad.

yeah, they announced it at otakon a little over a month ago

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

personally i'm interested to see the sadistic tax accountant in the sister show

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i mean we can put the complaining about the title to rest because it's being localized as My Girlfriend Is Too Much To Handle

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

there's still the matter that it's been reported as Faithful Virgin Bitch for months and i'm sure that has traction online, but maybe amazon will pick it up and the whole thing will die silently in obscurity

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Moltrey posted:

this is lame too!!! your girlfriend isn't too much to handle, she just wants sex ya dingus

that could be a lot to handle, if they aren't on the same page

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

more Amazon licenses from Sentai:
Just Because!
My Girlfriend is Shobitch (so much for the good title that leaked earlier)

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

No big loss for Just Because, that synopsis is probably the most generic, driest thing I've ever seen.

it's definitely​ hard to get excited about it, but iirc tsuki ga kirei seemed similarly bland and turned out to be a nice coming of age romance.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

curious whether Viz gave sole streaming rights to CR, or if they'll push it to other streaming services

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I'm very confused about what classroom of the elite is because it got featured in a sakuga reel for some intense hand-to-hand combat in a rainy forest

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the worst part of kekkai sensen is the anime original storylinethat the ova didn't have english subs until i checked just now

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i eagerly await the YUKI op for next season of march lion, and if there isn't one then the show is dead to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YZZQm6cYPg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqErcB9qgks

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Moltrey posted:

I think I remember reading that each episode is the POV of one of the 12 fighters so there might be some bleed over between fights and scenes

place your bets, im rooting for the horn guy and the ojou-sama looking lady

this would explain why the newest PV just focuses on the boar lady
between that having some really great choreography and animation, and this format ensuring we get some sense of everybody, i'm more optimistic about its chances

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

my only complaint is that it took a few eps to really find a balance between rei's darker moments and the sometimes hyperactive comedy/lightness from other characters.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Moltrey posted:

That's interesting! I personally didn't feel that, but I can see that, probably from the character Nikiadou, who is extremely loud and goofy in a way that he seems like he's from a different manga at first and just at odds with everything Rei is about and maybe Momo, the youngest daughter who is really there just to say a cute line (they're both very good tho).

It spoke to me in a lot of ways I was not expecting and was blown away by so I can def see it maybe just not working for people if it's not for you, but I cannot ask people enough to try it.

yeah the first episode is really heavy with rei's depression and then i think the second introduces nikaidou, who comes crashing through rei's walls every time he appears. but i either acclimated or it did actually shift a balance somewhere and i enjoyed it a lot after that.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

instead of shaft shows, i recommend akiyuki shinbo's 90's shows and OVAs

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Wark Say posted:

So season threads can also get weird. Huh.

they're really just chat threads of a different color

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/pKjd/status/913570433500196864

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2Cjst8Rg1s

dogsicle fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Sep 29, 2017

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

giving that post more thought and while the order you watch shaft and shinbo isn't important, i can confidently say you should absolutely watch both at some point. it's really cool to see how shaft developed out of shinbo's style, and also to see what unrestrained shinbo looks like (notably in Tenamonya Voyagers). only downside is those shinbo shows are old and largely forgotten, so you have low quality​ rips with the unique fansub stylings of the era. dunno how viable it is to hunt for the home video releases.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

more licenses

Viz:
Infini-T Force (streaming on viz.com)

Sentai:
Classicaloid S2 (streaming outlet not specified)
Hoozuki no Reitetsu S2 (streaming outlet not specified)

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's weird to see them suddenly be coy and say "select digital outlets" but yeah i'm assuming they'll be on strike at the least

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's not part of prime because prime alone probably doesn't pay for itself. it being a separate thing from prime isn't really the issue though, it's that you can't sub to strike without also having prime. if they're going to make it separate, it should truly be separate.

that and amazon should actually engage with the industry instead of just buying out sentai's catalog every season.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Space Flower posted:

Thank god for piracy

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Homura and Sickle posted:

im amazed classicaloid of all shows got two 2 cours season

who is the market for it. why are they.

i'd guess the market is children and families, mostly. the first season aired on NHK's educational/cultural station and seemed to be well-regarded enough for Time Bokan 24 to take jabs at its success. meanwhile, Time Bokan 24 ended up surprisingly successful well outside the child demographic and also earned a second season. children's tv is the future

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Didn't the Log Horizon anime also air in one of these blocks? I remember hearing that a bunch of content got changed to make the show G / PG.

yeah, both seasons were broadcast on NHK eTele. no idea of the actual timeslot, i assume there are later ones so that anime doesn't necessarily have to tone down.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

A new Drifters DVD/BD is coming that has episodes 13 & 14, in addition to improved versions of 10-12. More news on the sequel season October 30th

Nozaki-kun staff is working on an original TV anime for 2018 called Tada-kun Does Not Fall In Love

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

some CR licenses:

Blend S
Sengoku Night Blood
Love is Like a Cocktail (Osake wa Fuufu ni Natte kara)

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/LiveChart_me/status/914975280506089472

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the VA is fine, weirdoes. i do take issue with the director having him yell almost every line though

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the prius tie-in anime was good, so i can stand to give this one the benefit of the doubt

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i dunno if it'll be that cut and dried, considering she got killed by a necromancer with her body mostly intact

but worst case scenario they did it because the backstory/POV set up some stuff about the juuni taisen

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

why would you describe juuni taisen as a trainwreck

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i was just asking for clarification :(

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

if anyone wants to make a konohana kitan thread, i offer up my thread title services free of charge

Konohana Kitan: CGDCT - Canidae Girls Doing Canidae Things

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i dunno if infinit force will grab a wide audience but it totally hits the mark for me. some of the best-looking cg anime has been graced with, writing that is overdone just enough in the right ways, and a vibe like tatsunoko mashed up an otome game with a toku show.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

they set up the mc's dissatisfaction with life by showing her as she crosses out words like "happy" and "family" in the dictionary. later someone asks her what kanji her name is written with and it's the character for laughter. also gatchaman mostly exists in the show to get owned for being an old man, because his series is the oldest of the four represented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

amaretto is good but i don't need a cocktail, i'll drink it straight

• Locked thread