Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
while some is sure to fall flat theres actually a shitton i'm looking forward to this season

most excited for:
girl's last tour: this looks like extremely my poo poo, also i like the unique art style. it kind of reminds me of some of adventure time's best episodes. expecting it to be grim af and probably yuri?
urahara: interesting source material (even tho its going to be very loosely adapted), beautiful colors, animation looks like it might rise to level of flip flappers. the director seems passionate about what she's doing here
ancient magus bride: the buzz around the ovas (which i plan to watch this week) and the trailer/premise for this has me thinkin this one is a sure thing

also hopeful for:
kekkai sensen 2: hopefully it stays good after the change in directors and either abandons an overarching narrative to focus on episodic stuff (which was the best part of the first season) or gets a coherent plot this time.
children of the whales: trailer looked good, netflix decided to gently caress up the release of it which in 2017 has been a promising indicator of its quality
kino's journey: didn't watch the original but it looks interesting and i've enjoyed the bulk of studio lerche's output so far
land of lustrous: steven universe is anime now. this might be the first cgi anime i don't think is repulsive looking

has potential:
inuyashiki: just looks cool idk
juuni taisen: read a review of the first 2 episodes that got screened, the narrative framework of each episode being told from a different pov of one of the battle royale contestants sounds like a good spin on the genre. also the rabbit guy looks loving freaky.
yuuki yuna: loved the first season, hopefully this sequel is worthwhile. will probably watch the movies for the first half of the season instead because i don't know if cutting down 3 movies worth of content to 6 episodes is a good idea. definitely looking more forward to the second half of the season which revisits the original cast i believe.
two car: this is yuri right? what other reason is there to have a side car it doesn't do anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
imouto is gonna be the new isekai

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Gawain The Blind posted:

Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou sounds really interesting, but the character design is so blagh, I dunno if I can ignore it enough to get into the show. Weird blobby heads.

b/t this and made in abyss the big blob heads are the future of anime character design buddy

its the next step in evolution from whatever damage k-on did

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
https://twitter.com/nise_shi/status/913208521855877120

https://twitter.com/nise_shi/status/913208757907218432

https://twitter.com/nise_shi/status/913209723842732032

https://twitter.com/nise_shi/status/913210702948573184

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
https://twitter.com/nise_shi/status/913275385600557056

cc jj abrams make the movie into this

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
im amazed classicaloid of all shows got two 2 cours season

who is the market for it. why are they.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
juuni taisen's first episode owned

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
the gimmick of juuni taisen according to early screenings is the pov changes every episode

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

The Colonel posted:

that's not really a spoiler, that's the entire premise

i posted it without a spoiler tag and then decided someone might think its a spoiler and stealth edited it in, b/c its related to spoiler tagged poo poo in other peoples posts

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
im not 100% sold on whether urahara works, but its definitely one of the most interesting premieres i've seen in a while. im a pretty big fan of the visual presentation of it (tho it might nauseate or infuriate some) but i need to see more of the actual story to get hooked i think. its definitely worth a 3 episode test if you liked flip flappers or are interested in more experimental anime design in general

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Everything Burrito posted:

which show this season will be the deconstruction of a trainwreck

well it was supposed to be pop team epic but that got delayed for a presumably trainwreck production cycle

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
i checked out just because just because its an original anime and those are rare af these days, and its a well enough made boring slice of life piece of poo poo if you enjoy those

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
no

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
girls last tour pretty much nailed the first episode. bleak and intriguing world, cute relationship between the girls with some set up for potential conflicts they can have later

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Davincie posted:

they do, but its not half as bad as their pronunciation of 'sieg heil' which i had to rewind a few times since i couldn't believe what i was hearing

girls last tour would be stronger if it would commit to a historical setting, rather than this current mishmash of nuclear post apocolypse and soviet/nazi ww2 weaponry (with a few later things like the tupolev they hang around in) with a duo of japanese moeblobs. just make it some german girls escaping through the russian winter or something like that

given the equipment i interpreted as an alt history in which ww2 destroyed the human race. also its the first episode and the show was clearly going the route of doling out information about the setting organically instead of having a gravel voiced narrator open the anime with The Year is 20xx, the human race is no more, after a big fight with hitler killed everyone

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
honestly almost all of rage of bahamuts problems with the story in the back half extend from pathological commitment to the charioce/nina ship. everything nonsensical/terrible is coming from contortions to justify that wretchedness, or a weird attempt to make allessand a pitiable villain which also fell completely flat

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
have you played fallout

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
wanko bars

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
i made a thread for children of the whales because i think the first episode showed a lot of promise

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
just watched land of lustrous and it far exceeded my expectations, i really like the characters and what an adorable gently caress up phos is

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Oh, so Soichi is showing up? Guess they decided to mix in a little levity, then.

Also, it's probably too long for an anthology, but an animated version of Uzumaki would be wild.

I just read uzumaki this past week and spent the time i wasn't being grossed out imagining how much it would own if madhouse or studio bones animated it

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
i demand characters without flaws

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
the cool thing is it predates steven universe but appeared at a time where steven universe would have already been in development so its definitely just a case of 2 ppl on opposite sides of earth having a near identical idea at p much the exact same time

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
kyoani also has vastly more money and time than studio 3hz but the flip flappers situation wasn't exactly rare except for the insane amount of frames personally animated by its director

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

a kitten posted:

Jeez, it seemed like there were a whole lot of still frames in this week's Konohana.

But an evil doll got a haircut and it was still a decent episode.

it relies on still frames a lot but it still looks pretty decent from the backgrounds and use of color. i wonder if the limited animation is because lerche is not that big of a studio and is also doing kino's journey this season

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
i just watched a silent voice and jesus christ bring tissues to that movie. that was so loving good i have to contemplate if that was better than your name or not

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
violet evergarden is gonna be good, i have hopes for yuru camp and the trigger show but other than that not too much. we'll see

also re: children of the whales i'm still liking it and my thread for it still exists but has like 10 posts. it's not the second coming of shin sekai yori (perhaps yet) but its interesting enough and very pretty so i'm keeping up with it.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

There Bias Two posted:

How many eps are we looking at? Because I feel like it's still just starting to ramp up.

just single cour

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
princess principal is definitely aoty for me but there was so much other absolutely superb series this year, with girls last tour, tanya the evil, land of the lustrous and made in abyss rounding out my top 5. all of them are classics

biggest let down of a series for me was rage of bahamut

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Do light novels count? Because Edge of Tomorrow did pretty OK despite a wobbly start. Revenue ended up at roughly twice its budget.

thats b/c people didn't know it was anime

e: reposting this thread of translated twitter expectations for the announced american adaptation of your name as i still think its funny

https://twitter.com/nise_shi/status/913208521855877120

Homura and Sickle fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Dec 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

jng2058 posted:

The comparison between Juni Taisen and Land of the Lustrous is pretty stark. Both had impressive first episodes, but while LoL has kept improving, JT has slid straight into the toilet.

juuni taisen is also approaching being the same percent 3dcg versus traditionally animated material as land of the lustruous as well

Wark Say posted:

Hasn't the manga been on hiatus for like 2 years? Maybe they're hoping this gets the mangaka to come back? Don't know the exact details, though.

they took the hiatus due to severe health issues so unless bluray sales are kickstarting experimental medical treatments i doubt it

• Locked thread