Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Julias posted:

Julias' Risky Pick:
Juuni Taisen (12 Wars)
Graphinica | Hosoda, Naoto | Murai, Sadayuki | Action | Novel | Oct 3, 2017
The record of the bloody battle between the twelve proud warriors—
The 12th Twelve Tournament that gets held every twelve years…
Twelve brave warriors who bear the names of the signs of the zodiac fight each other for the lives and souls.
The participants are twelve very strange warriors: “Rat,” “Ox,” “Tiger,” “Rabbit,” “Dragon,” “Snake,” “Horse,” “Goat,” Monkey,” “Rooster,” “Dog,” and “Pig.”
The victor of this tournament gets to have one wish granted, whatever the wish may be.
The one wish they want granted—
Who will be the final survivor?
Whose tears will flow on the bloody battlefield filled with conspiracy and murder?
A soul-shaking battle royale is about to begin.
PV1 PV2

Can you add this rap video to the section under Juuni Taisen?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro0s5lPd_TE

Postal Parcel fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Sep 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Sword Art Online Season 3 confirmed.

Also confirmed is a spinoff focusing on Gun Gale Online.

Will this spinoff show also reveal the bad guy in its op?

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Grouchio posted:

poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo

Come on.
SAO JUST released a movie and still rides pretty high. You can't seriously think it wasn't going to get a 3rd season, right?

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

How many series has Nisio teamed up with Akatsuki Akira at this point? Is he the manga version of Shinbo to Nisio now?

e:

Allarion posted:

Slightly spoilerish since the anime hasn't labeled everyone yet (like how the boar kills in abundance and the rabbit kills strangely), but the manga labels her as

That said, the labels aren't fully literal either, so we'll see where monkey ends up.

The PV gave everyone the labels, and I think the website also has the labels.
The rub is that they're all in Japanese, so if you can't read, I guess it'd be a spoiler.

Also, please check out the rap video

Postal Parcel fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 7, 2017

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
Saw the first LoL episode
Was that really all CG? Because if it was, that's probably the best full CG show I've seen yet. It also brought memories back of the first time I saw the ad/read the manga, so that was cool :)
The colors and shots were also very nice

I'm hoping it does very well

Postal Parcel fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Oct 8, 2017

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Motto posted:

Here's a short thread on its production. It's largely CG, but there's 2D animation at work too

Thanks for that! Interesting read, and I love the sakugabooru guy

Related, this was a retweeted image
https://twitter.com/YohIchi_N/status/916683816294539264

While this may be a case of bad L->R conversion(草原 is definitely grassland), I'd like to think he knew exactly what he did

e:

a kitten posted:

Is that the jewel thing? It's on everyone's favorite platform Strike.

Land of the Lustrous:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/det...5&pf_rd_t=12806

quote:

★★★☆☆ Three Stars
ByAlexander Banoson on October 7, 2017
its diffrent.
:effort:

Postal Parcel fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Oct 8, 2017

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
The wonderful world of Haripo

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Julias posted:

Friskers :geno:

I thought it said Frickers

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Dzhay posted:

Beautiful. What's this from?

The best thing about BBB is that the setting doesn't feel like "Fantasy New York, but it's really Japan", the setting really feels like fantasy New York.
Even the episode titles are puns of old Hollywood movies(puns based on their JP titles of course)

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

TriffTshngo posted:

GARO - Vanishing Line: Seemed like a more generic Darker than Black with a lot of annoying shaky action cam and by the end it devolved into a CG mess to the point where I'd rather they just go all the way with it like some of the other stuff I watched. Not as cool as the trailer made it seem, hopefully ep2 is better or I'm out.

DtB can get more generic?

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Grappling hooks and electricity are significantly less usual as a loadout for urban-fantasy heroes than a big magical sword.

That is quite generic...

n-NOOOOOO

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Relin posted:

i'm not sure why they arent translating kongou as adamant in lotl

Probably going for Buddhist overtones?
Then again, how many casual anime fans would recognize "Kongou" as something buddhist sounding?

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
RE: Chuuni Taisen
I loved the reveal that the reason Boar won last time is because he ran from the battlefield. Makes the last episode make a lot of sense. Considering how they're selling ratboy, I'm guessing that he's some sort of time-slipper. Or maybe the "wish everyone back to life" rewinds time or something similar to that, and they're forced to repeat this death game over and over again. Or maybe it's something completely out of left-field since this is Nisio and his stuff is often quite crazy

Quick question though, are those animal parts something they have on at all times or is it only for special events like this? Because does no one really ask why there's a drat dog person roaming the streets?

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Erg posted:

this season has a critical lack of magical girls, you hold no power here

But LotL(HnK) is nothing but magical girls

Magical Boys?
Magical...Gemstones?

dogsicle posted:

garo didn't have an amazing premiere, but the setting and style defintely evoke the sort of dystopian hypermasculine/violent anime from OVAs in the 80's/90's.

Like someone said earlier, Garo had to compete with BBB for best urban setting and lost. That said, the MC in Garo is kind of refreshing after a lot of milquetoast protags whose only personality setting is "nice enough"

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Gantz is good until Okinawa and then it just nosedives and never recovers.

Okinawa...
You disgust me you faux Gantz reader
(If you're talking about Nurarihyon, it's Osaka)

Also, I say Osaka was fun. The worst is when Gantz goes global and the absolute nadir of the series had to be the self-indulgent philosophical ramblings spoken by GantzHitler and GantzGhandi. Ghantzdi?

e:have a collage of faces from Gantz's absolute worst loving chapter

Postal Parcel fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Oct 13, 2017

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I can't believe I got Osaka and Okinawa confused. Whoops!

But yeah I should clarify that it was the last good arc, not that it got bad when they got there.

Oh, haha
I completely agree with that. It was a pretty fun ride while it was still mostly just action and violence. Then he decided to make it more "intellectual"

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

ViggyNash posted:

Im having a hard time liking Land of the Lustrous. The low frame rate cg still really annoys me, but not nearly as much as Phos's wet blanket personality. But the world and its look is still great, and the op is amazing.

Phos is a wet blanket...? :crossarms:
Considering Phos is the one trying to get people to do stuff and hang out, I think you're a bit off base. On the other hand Cinnabar is one, yes. Then again, she has a very good reason to be.

LoL continues to put out some nice CG moments, though Dia's hand reveal didn't seem as epic as it was in the manga/original trailer
( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HBVq6wpLLw )

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

dogsicle posted:

weird how the Land of the Lustrous discussion just glossed over this bit of the ep, though

https://my.mixtape.moe/tvtqvp.webm

Never 👏 Trust 👏 Nice 👏 Girls

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Steven Universe has been on this train for the last three or four years.

Hey now, if we're going there, LoL scooped SU by over a year.
Once again, beaten by the Japanese

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

did you ever watch majestic prince? it was from the same season as valvrave and gargantia, both of which had a lot of hype but ended up disappointing. mjp was the low budget dark horse mecha show, but it ended up being much better than the other two.

as for kuromukuro, i don't think a third season was ever planned. the japanese school life was a pretty big part of the premise, plus any third season would have ditched the majority of the cast.

I liked Gargantia. It was a lot more heartfelt than some other mecha shows I've seen in recent years.
Also, holy poo poo I never put 2 & 2 together regarding these recent Code Geass followers. Aldnoah, Valvrave, AND Gargantia all had a white hair from the space power as an adversary, at least initially

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

a kitten posted:

But also: yahoo is still a thing?

Chiebukuro is Yahoo!Answers but good and not completely useless

AnoHito posted:

I think the problem is that they paid for the spots for the Japanese broadcast, not any theoretical western broadcast, which would make displaying the company logos there illegal, as they didn't technically have permission to do so (not quite sure on the specifics of how that works, though).

They also probably thought it was too much work for too little payoff to find replacements, negotiate a deal, and then edit the footage to change the logos for a show that's probably not going to get all that many views.

I wish they'd then just highlight some of their series then. Blue Rose sponsored by Kimmy Schmidt, Tiger sponsored by Bojack Horseman, Blazing Symbol sponsored by Sense8(though I guess that could be for Rock Bison. Since it got canceled)

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Endorph posted:

i not only like touga, my favorite utena character is saionji
Wakaba sockpuppet account spotted.
Honestly, my favorite was Juri. She tried so hard yet still couldn't make it to the stars

Rangpur posted:

The whole FMA/FMA: Brotherhood split makes it kind of a pain to recommend, because any part of the original manga that the 2003 version covered turned out better simply by virtue of not rushing everything to get to the new stuff. I also prefer certain thematic touches re: the homonculi, but I'm willing to concede that doesn't necessarily trump Brotherhood having a tighter, more coherent back half.

I guess you could watch the original anime up until Alphonse gets kidnapped by Greed, then switch to Brotherhood? There's probably stuff that doesn't quite gel with the transition from one to the other but nothing that majorly alters the plot, I think. Or you could just read the manga, though I think it would be a pity to completely skip a genuinely good adaptation, even if you do have to assemble it like Frankenstein's Monster to get the best version.

I don't think it's that hard, honestly
FMA has an arguably more melancholy take on the series, and the ending is certainly more of a downer. Contrast this to Brotherhood which has a much more hopeful message(and arguably tighter endgame). Pick which one you want to feel, or watch both and enjoy the differences. It's a long series though so there's no reason to destroy yourself in a one night binge.
(You being the general you)

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Grouchio posted:

Isn't FLCL season 2 and OPM season 2 due to air next year?

I still can't believe this is a thing and that it's being co-produced by [adult swim]* of all people. That there's already a "3" in the works as well is also crazy
I am cautiously optimistic that it'll have the same appeal, and I strangely want it to be only ~6 episodes or so.

This will definitely be an interesting experience to say the least

*I guess AS has a history of supporting anime since they did get The Big O to finally finish

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
Before I get my hopes up, Fate/Extra is going with Male Hakuno?

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Space Flower posted:

both hakunos show up in the anime PVs. just male hakuno has been 'confirmed' and attached to a seiyuu. only Nero has been shown of the three 'playable' servants iirc, and they've had character promos for 3 enemy servants.

if female hakuno shows up as a distinct char it's quite possible they're following the storyline of Extella/Zero, a retelling of Extra that's supposed to be the version leading into Extella, but it could be otherwise.

dogsicle posted:

apocrypha has like one good character and then a handful of other people who really should be the story focus instead of the blandest people imaginable jeanne d'arc and sieg

But Sisigo and Mordred aren't one person...

Namtab posted:

The fact that there's already a 3 in the works is deeply problematic, and they should let good things rest imo
I definitely understand that but I enjoyed the *conclusion* to Big O(Even though AS probably only funded, but did not have any/much impact on creative decisions for the series)
Since the new cast looks like pretty high schoolers, I wonder if we'll get to see Naota and Ninamori grown up(they should be in their late 20s, early 30s by now right?)

The Colonel posted:

the promo materials had male hakuno but people are saying they might both be in it???

Hmm...that sounds like GBF, where it was Gran for all of the series except for an "Alternate Universe" where Djeeta was the lead.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

DisDisDis posted:

Also I downloaded that a while ago and now I don't know whether to play a girl (the usual) or a guy

Personal preference of course, but for some reason, Fate/ is the one series that I see as always being better when the MC is female rather than male.

DisDisDis posted:

This is unacceptable

So, the previous statement being said, it's time to dress up as rin

Alternatively, if you go male, dress as Lancer

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Fangz posted:

It's kinda dumb that the entire Saber arc across two series hinges on no one telling her 'hey, it turned out alright in the end, erasing yourself from existence would probably have made things worse'.

Yeah...that whole "Britain is going to be destroyed because of me" crap was annoying. I thought you came into the world with knowledge of the general state of the world

quote:

The whole 'pfft, real kings don't give a poo poo about other people' angle was pretty lol too.

Yeah, but name the vice-king of those kingdoms without looking it up :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
Question:
Could Amigara Fault work animated?

Because I'd like to see it animated

• Locked thread