Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
March Lion S2, which hopefully will cover the arcs I think it will. If so it will be one of the best shows in years.

Osomatsu 2.

Not much but still two more than the last two seasons combined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Coaaab posted:

It will, and it's gonna wring my face dry.
I think that arc was a given given the proximity to where S1 ended, but I was also thinking of the arc dealing with the Kawamoto sister's shitbag father entering the picture. There is some imagery used during it that is just haunting.

E: Looking it up they are probably too far apart. It's been a while since I read it and for some reason thought they were close to being back-to-back. Still going to be pretty amazing.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Sep 26, 2017

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Davincie posted:

lord, let this be the first good season of the year
Winter 2017 was amazing!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oh and though I don't know if I'll watch it I'm sure Ancient Magus Bride will be great, I'm just so much more invested in the current manga arc to want to start over w/ an anime.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

a kitten posted:

Wake me when there's more Railgun instead.
Yeeeeeah

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I mean Railgun is far from perfect, but as far as a silly X-Men-like romp with anime girls goes it's fun enough. By focusing on a much smaller cast it's also able to actually let some characterization room to breath, compared to Index which has a billion characters who often get forgotten for seasons and books on end. And more importantly it doesn't (usually) feature the most boring MC imaginable in Touma.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

season 3 of railgun would cover some pretty awesome stuff. season 3 of index will still feature touma and there is even the awful possibility of index showing up.
Oh yeah isn't it the Athletic Festival arc next with Shohoku? That should be rad, I remember that being my favorite arc of the Railgun manga.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

nielsm posted:

For everyone who watched Amanchu: Crunchyroll has just gotten a 13th episode of it up, probably an OVA episode of sorts. Haven't watched it yet.
Oh that's super rad, I loved that show.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yeah, it's an OVA. Been making the rounds on the torrent sites for a while. It's pretty good! Teko's friends visit and also are literally just Akari and Aika from Aria.
LOL her friends not only have the voice and mannerisms of Aika/Akari, but their SD faces from that show too.

Amanchu is so good.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Sakurazuka posted:

The episode where the guy gets chased by ugly trans people for the whole thing was a million times worse than anything else in the show.
God that show was such a bummer after a couple of really strong opening episodes.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Working had some rough spots with how it introduced and developed some characters at the start, but all of them more or less were able to grow (not Poplar though, of course) to an extent that even if they still owned their gimmicks they had enough else going for them that it still worked. In the end it was a cute/charming story with a lot of good relationship/growth where it was warranted.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

dogsicle posted:

in this case it just seems like you quit before inami got to change, while blend s has been more appealing because the characters have a bit more going on initially.

e: and people are reacting strongly because they have an attachment to inami's development over multiple seasons
Pretty much every character had a pretty charming arc/development by the end. I guess maybe not the manager but she wasn't really a focal character in the way Inami, Yamada, Poplar, Satou, and Yachiyo were.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah this one is going to be pretty, pretty special.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Is Girls Last Tour streaming anywhere?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That is quite tragic.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I love Yurucamp so yay, but I can't help but feel that something is lost in this manga->anime transition.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The pacing and scene-to-scene composition in Konohana Kitan is really weird. In terms of individual segments/parts it's executed well enough, but so far I've ended every episode somewhat :confused: despite ostensibly enjoying the story/characters as presented thus far. It feels rushed in the same sort of way Angel Beats did.

I came very close to dropping MMO Junkies in the middle of the second episode but I'm glad I didn't, it seems very promising at the moment. Kind of reminds me of Densha Otoko.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Kytrarewn posted:

I had this same problem with FMA:Brotherhood, so I sympathize with them.

Start watching, get to the Tucker arc (which really bothered me in the original) and they just sort of roll over it in a single episode and it leaves me completely flat to the point that I couldn't continue watching (or got distracted and never thought about turning it back on or something).
This is why I always, always recommend the FMA manga over Brotherhood. It is a far superior story overall to the original, but the manner in which it rushes through those first 20 or so episodes to get through the first few arcs was beyond the pale.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Dante is super lame and everything about most of the character arcs revolving around the villains is halfbaked and not well thought out at all.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah but if you're going to go with fights with huge emotional gravitas re: Mustang, nothing comes close to Mustang vs. Envy in FMA manga/Brotherhood.

I also think manga Pride is orders of magnitude cooler in both character and concept than the sad sack that is 2003 Wrath.

E: Hell if we're going to do 2003 Pride vs. manga/Brotherhood Wrath, the latter's role in the endgame is an insane series of :stare: & :zoro:

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Oct 26, 2017

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Fangz posted:

Sure, sure, I don't dispute that Brotherhood brought the cool fights. I just liked the 2003 anime's angle - that ultimately the bad guys are objectively stronger than the good guys, but they are in the end defeated by their failure to understand humanity. Pride failing to understand the love of his 'son', Dante failing to understand Gluttony's love for Lust, etc etc. This I thought was in the end more effectively and subtly done than how Father was finally defeated, and having the Voice of God dictate the theme of the series to him.
To me it basically comes down to me not thinking the characterization and arcs of the 2003 Homunculi to be all that well constructed or thought out. Their origins and motivations compared to their manga counterparts feels forced and convoluted, with some being interesting like Lust but most just kind of being :confused: and alienating. In a sense it felt like Bones was reaching for narrative heights that they did not have the actual talent to achieve. Arakawa's take is arguably more simplistic, but there is so much more heart & soul to that cast of villains and I never came to doubt or roll my eyes at their arcs in a similar fashion.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Spiritus Nox posted:

Do people around here like Negima? I've heard mixed things. Read a bit of the manga back in Junior High and liked it well enough, but I was a dumb kid at the time and tastes change.
It's a mixed bag. I think Akamatsu has a genuine knack for fantasy action (and the path he took to be able to do that in the first place is kind of interesting) with absolutely great artwork and usually some really solid/memorable characters. On the other hand the harem hinjinx/comedy gets pretty laborious and more often than not is just kind of lame even if you're into that sort of stuff. At its heights the original Negima was one of the best shounen action series that I felt I was reading at the time, and during its lows it obviously was not.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yurucamp, Hakumei & Mikochi, and Mitsuboshi Colors are all a hell yeah from me.

Also, Houshin Engi???????

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The PV for Hakumei & Mikochi that came out a while back looked insanely good, seriously check that show out because the manga is great and they've really nailed the look.

Conversely while I am excited for Yurucamp I can't help but feel the teaser we saw for it made it look like it lost a lot of the art appeal in its transition to anime.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

dogsicle posted:

winter is where anime goes to die
March Lion S1, Rakugo S2, ACCA, Maid Dragon, and Demi-chan was Winter 2017. It was nuts.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah, that'll do.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I really wish I could get into Kotohana, it has at face value a lot of elements that I usually love in a SOL show but somehow the sum of its parts always leaves me thinking each episode was poorly storyboarded or put together and leaves me vaguely disappointed. I guess broadly speaking it just feels sort of badly paced; it kind of gives me the same feeling when Angel Beats would just suddenly shift gears and rush through some beats.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
lmao just now noticing that the moon is a roe.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Gonna throw this out there: Yu Yu Hakusho is the best work Togashi has done.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Grouchio posted:

Naw that's HxH's Chimera Ant Arc. Nothing in Shounen has topped that.
Let me be more clear about what I was trying to say.

Hunter x Hunter is garbage compared to Yu Yu Hakusho and people should feel bad about feeling otherwise.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
YYH's tournament is to me the standard from which I've come to judge any shounen tournament arc, and IMO nothing has ever measured up.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Kuwabara was always my favorite because he was comparatively super normal so it was cool/surprising when he got to do cool poo poo.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The biggest lament I have with YYH is that the Sensui arc is top to bottom so loving good but ends really terribly and the arc that follows it to close out the series is just kind of OK.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The good start to this year with Rakugo/March Lion S1/ACCA has still not been topped. Probably leaning towards Rakugo though March Lion S2 is going to be up there with it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Wark Say posted:

I wanted to like MarchLion, but I'm not ready for a feels train. It's like the biggest goddamn feels train, isn't it?
I might describe my mood during a given episode as feeling a lot of emotions, I suppose.

It absolutely touches on some pretty heavy subjects and S2 in particular is knee deep in an absolute swamp of a plotline that is sure to leave viewers with a combination of grief and fury. But that said it does know how to pace itself on this matters and Chica Umino knows how to weave comedic moments in and out.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The first season of March Lion is about getting to know Rei, especially at his lowest point(s), only to have him slowly built back up piece by piece by a lot of folks but obviously mostly the Kawamoto family. And now they in turn are in desperate need of his strength, which makes his character growth all the more meaningful when he (hopefully) is able to come through for them in whatever ways he can. It's such a simple way to progress the story but it works so well and provides an emotional catharsis that I can't say I've seen in many other works.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oooh, OK. I mean yeah I can see that being a bit of a weird shift all told. March Lion has always liked giving its ancillary characters their own solid arcs and I think it does a good job of developing that world.

Regardless I would not sit on S2 if you were holding off on it from how S1 ended, at the very least.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Kytrarewn posted:

I've finally started playing f/sn, and I like it, but I always get annoyed when I put several hours into a game only for it to turn out to just be the prologue, with "new game/load/extra" some time thereafter.
I guess it depends by what you mean in this case.

If you just mean FSN proper, then yes you'll have to replay the start (super quick with already read text getting skipped) to experience the other routes, but it diverges very early and goes full on into brand new content. There is nothing that unlocks after fully beating the game other than a weird epilogue thing.

If you mean all of the offshots like Fate/Apocrypha, Fate/Extra, Fate/Zero, whatever, then those are completely separate works with varying levels of connections to the original but by and large can be enjoyed on their own.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
MMO Junkies is a solid choice, Also, March Comes in like a Lion, though it's currently in its second season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Kytrarewn posted:

Yeah, I meant FSN proper. I know I can skip already read text and so on. Maybe I misunderstood exactly what happened.

The part that I referred to as the prologue involved Rin trying to summon Saber and failing, getting Archer instead, then going and using up her pendant doohickey to save someone who, if they died, would make Sakura sad, but without actually revealing who that person was, after they happened to see the fight between Rin/Archer vs. Lancer. Then, they run off to that person's house, and Saber appears and wounds Archer and is about to kill RIn...... and the New Game|Continue|Extras screen appears.

I'm unclear as to whether that's the "Fate" path or if it's just a prologue that appears every time you open the game or what, since this is my first exposure to any of the Type Moon universe stuff
The prologue from Rin's perspective only ever has to be played once, and in fact afterwards can only ever be accessed again by going to "Prologue" in the "Extras" menu at the start screen. You just go straight to Shirou's first day when you start a new game.

• Locked thread