Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SalTheBard posted:

Oh ok my apologise! I missed where you said you don't watch Big Brother. It's going to be a fun distraction during the Olympics so I'm interested to see how it goes.

I also like watching the olympics but then I am a doofus so who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

The Bloop posted:

I also like watching the olympics but then I am a doofus so who knows.

Me too! It's going to be annoying to balance CBB along with my love of all things Olympics.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Survivor is more of a prestige show that maybe you could actually get real celebrities that are willing to play the real game (I mean, they have in the past with legitimate star pro athletes), but it's probably a bad idea to attempt it unless ratings start flagging pretty bad for the show. It seems hard for shows to go back to normal seasons once they've done a "celeb" one. For a goofy winter Big Brother then sure whatever even though it'll probably be people from other reality shows, former actors that washed out of Hollywood 20 years ago, and social media "stars."

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 29, 2018

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Oh yes, they are probably going to someone lovely YouTuber and call them a celebrity.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Fast Luck posted:

Survivor is more of a prestige show that maybe you could actually get real celebrities that are willing to play the real game (I mean, they have in the past with legitimate star pro athletes)

How quickly everyone forgets BLAIRE from the hit tv show THE FACTS OF LIFE :(

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Fresh off of Deuce Bigalow 2, Colleen Haskell returns to the island with a vengeance.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Oh yes, they are probably going to someone lovely YouTuber and call them a celebrity.

Logan Pauls redemption starts here!

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
EW breaks down some of the Ghost Island cursed items:

http://ew.com/tv/2018/01/26/survivor-ghost-island-items/

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Teek posted:

EW breaks down some of the Ghost Island cursed items:

http://ew.com/tv/2018/01/26/survivor-ghost-island-items/

Coming to post that. Looks like a lot of stuff, but I'm hopeful.

F*cking Stick lol

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Yeah, looking at the page two of that, seems like someone saw the box of props they had and figured they could do something with them. Half of the "82" items aren't even gameplay things per se, it's all the snuffers and some of the voting urns from each season.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
All I'm getting from that list is 'idol idol idol idol advantage'.

I want the dumbest things. Give me ham and Jews or jars of sugar.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Give us the fire that Mike Skupin fell into in Australia

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I want the bag of rice Crystal dropped in the dirt. Also, the cookie that Randy never got to eat.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I have a theory that they never show much footage of people on Exile/Redemption Islands because they give them free food and shelter and don't want the illusion to be shattered

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, I assume there's something to that. I imagine you get the basic rice and access to fruit and water and fish that you get on a tribe but since you can't really hold one Exile accountable for the last one not rationing you kind of just have to give them stuff. So I imagine each Exile gets a bag of rice, a water source, some gear, and a bundle of banana and they live free and easy for a couple of days because they have no reason to share or ration.

But I doubt they're getting food from the catering table. Although, maybe the bananas and I guess I wouldn't be surprised if instead of a well it was just some kind of thermos or case of bottles.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Interestingly, "The_Snuffer" is also Jeff's fetlife profile name.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
That was the whole conceit in Gabon, get idol clue or get food. Sugar found the idol in her first go and cashed in on the tropical getaway the next few weeks she was sent out. Hashtag sugar shack.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's funny because the first time she cashed in on the food she enjoyed it, then the next time she broke down crying because she was getting food and she felt bad that other people weren't.

Man, Sugar was about as predictable as Abi-Maria.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Teek posted:

Yeah, looking at the page two of that, seems like someone saw the box of props they had and figured they could do something with them. Half of the "82" items aren't even gameplay things per se, it's all the snuffers and some of the voting urns from each season.

I'm surprised he snuffers are in...id always heard Probst keeps those as the one personal souvenir from each season.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
James also kept his immunity idols (they were his 'gifts from home' in HvV), so they probably just reproduced them.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ApplesandOranges posted:

James also kept his immunity idols (they were his 'gifts from home' in HvV), so they probably just reproduced them.

Right, weren't a number of those things like fake idols thrown in the fire anyway?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

jivjov posted:

I'm surprised he snuffers are in...id always heard Probst keeps those as the one personal souvenir from each season.

He's basically leased them to the show for this season. He got them back when the season was over.

Same with all the other artifacts; the show tracked down the people who bought them and either bought them back or rented them for the season.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

Probst claims that everything is authentic and they tracked down and borrowed all of the props that had been sold / kept by other castaways. I saw him tell a funny story in the interview about them trying to borrow Tai's idol from someone who bought it on an ebay auction years ago, and the guy didn't believe it was really production calling him until Probst himself spoke to him on the phone.

EDIT: This is that interview https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/survivor-ghost-island-jeff-probst-mark-burnett-preview-new-seasons-twists-1069737 I had a detail wrong: the guy still didn't believe it even after Probst was on the phone with him, so then they just played hard-to-get and the guy caved (????).

mancalamania fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 27, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"Making a fake idol" is such an underused tactic

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Isn't it kind of the opposite? Like aren't there so many fake idols that the players are all super wise to it and they ended up just editing out any entire fake idol plot from this season because it went nowhere?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

Isn't it kind of the opposite? Like aren't there so many fake idols that the players are all super wise to it and they ended up just editing out any entire fake idol plot from this season because it went nowhere?

They only edited out Mike's fake idol because it was apparently laughably awful.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

So I wonder if / how they are actually going to use all the snuffers and immunity idols in the game? Maybe as part of some stupid challenge? Or just having them on display at tribal council?

Either way, I am worried about a season where they promote the twists before they promote the Survivors.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

So I wonder if / how they are actually going to use all the snuffers and immunity idols in the game? Maybe as part of some stupid challenge? Or just having them on display at tribal council?

I think it's already been said that the snuffers are just hanging on display over where they sleep on Ghost Island, as a constant reminder?

Found it:

Jeff posted:

For instance, castaways who spend the night on Ghost Island will sleep underneath the 35 previous torch snuffers. So as they drift off, they are reminded that one mistake can mean your death in the game.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
See I'm not even aware enough to realise that the snuffer looks different every season. Only the ultra-geeks like Max or Shirin would probably be able to look at one and go, 'yup, that one's from Worlds Apart. I remember when it snuffed out Joe's torch and tears from every mom out there flew.'

Also that just made me realise that Colton has never had his torch snuffed and that might be part of why Probst hates him.

(Also because Colton is one of the worst people to ever go on the show more than once.)

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I've noticed a few of them that seemed really different. The Cook Islands one was a bell, for example. I think the Palau one was shaped like an army helmet.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
is there a comprehensive list of all the rules of the game online anywhere? IIRC the first Boston Rob season prompted them to put in some really weird rules meant to make it so that you "can't" share a victory, but with Blood Vs. Water that clearly had to go out the window to an extent, and also, that's something that would be insanely hard to police anyway (like, if someone buys a car and keeps it in their name but lets me drive it 24/7, that's not "technically" sharing the money but it functionally totally is)

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

precision posted:

is there a comprehensive list of all the rules of the game online anywhere? IIRC the first Boston Rob season prompted them to put in some really weird rules meant to make it so that you "can't" share a victory, but with Blood Vs. Water that clearly had to go out the window to an extent, and also, that's something that would be insanely hard to police anyway (like, if someone buys a car and keeps it in their name but lets me drive it 24/7, that's not "technically" sharing the money but it functionally totally is)

There's a version of the rulebook online from 2010: https://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/2010/05/survivor-rule-book/

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

precision posted:

As far as I know, the rule is that you can't *conspire* to share the money during the game. Actually sharing the money afterwards is fine. They just want to prevent a race-to-the-bottom situation where the winner is the person amongst the Final 3 who promises to give away the largest percentage of the million to the jury.

ETA: Okay I guess if the above-linked rules are real, they also prohibit ACTUALLY sharing the prize, although the way the rules are written they clearly mostly care about the conspiring quid-pro-quo stuff. I suspect actually sharing without conspiring to share is not really enforced since I remember the story after MvGX was that Adam took the whole cast on a Vegas trip with his winnings.

mancalamania fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jan 29, 2018

Teckiwi
Dec 7, 2006
It's a shame we don't have another US season of hutned this year to watch with survivor being gone right now. For those interested 4 eps of the latest UK season of Hunted are out, it's decent so far but this time the prizepool of 100k is shared between the winners

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Teckiwi posted:

It's a shame we don't have another US season of hutned this year to watch with survivor being gone right now. For those interested 4 eps of the latest UK season of Hunted are out, it's decent so far but this time the prizepool of 100k is shared between the winners

I don't know what this is (I will look) but it made me think of The Mole and now I'm :smith:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The Bloop posted:

I don't know what this is (I will look) but it made me think of The Mole and now I'm :smith:

The Mole was loving awesome.

legit surprised there isn't a rule against jerking off

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

The Mole was not dumb enough. Bring back Whodunnit!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

precision posted:

It's not enforceable legally. That's my understanding.

As long as you're okay not having a relationship with CBS anymore.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Prefer to think this:

Zesty posted:

It's not enforceable legally. That's my understanding.

Was a response to this:

precision posted:

legit surprised there isn't a rule against jerking off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Teckiwi posted:

The Amazing Race is in the Survivor Timeslot though and it's pretty awesome so far.

A girl from Yale got her mouth busted by a sailboat so when she got it fixed she apparently got her septum pierced too.

• Locked thread