Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I'm not sure when I'm going to reap the karma for trading Klay and Harden right before their resting periods will start kicking in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Doltos posted:

I'm not sure when I'm going to reap the karma for trading Klay and Harden right before their resting periods will start kicking in

Well, Klay had a nice 5 games with me before his thumb fell off his hand midgame. At this point I'm just hoping to get enough counting stats to put up a fight against the first seed.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

I’m gonna lose to a guy with a sub 500 record in the first round :thumbsup:

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I'm the idiot who forgot he was dropping Corey Brewer for Wayne Ellington and can't pick him back up.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

resident posted:

It's Deimos's wife and she also forgot to set her lineup today :(

I could swap in starters to be fair to everyone else in the playoffs but really it's her own fault.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I hope Demar hits 10 threes today or I'm cooked

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

I'm only 2 blocks and 1 turnover back from winning this round, so hopefully mortgaging my reliable role players for anyone who won't die on the floor today is the recipe for success.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Sigh... lost because Teague and KAT played out of their minds. I lost my series from 2 out of these three: 1 steal, 2 rebounds or 1 turn over.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

resident posted:

That’s my wife and she nearly quit after Boogie went down. Kyrie didn’t play either so it was without her first two picks (did either of yours play?) fantasy is a weird game

DeimosRising fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 19, 2018

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I woulda beat Hoiball if I played him first round so now I will probably lose 0-9

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

DeimosRising posted:

That’s my wife and she nearly quit after Boogie went down. Kyrie didn’t play either so it was without her first two picks (did either of yours play?) fantasy is a weird game

Neither of my first two picks played, and Lowry sat out one game. It was a slap fight. Neither of us really deserved to move on to the next round if you compared our stats to other matchups.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Honestly the only way to have guaranteed starting stars in the playoffs is to have someone on an almost eliminated/almost in playoff team. Pretty much everyone is going to suffer from not having first round picks play at times.

I get more mad at teams who are tanking irrationally sitting their promising young guys. I'll have someone put up 20/5 with decent steals and blocks then they just disappear for four games cus the coach is nervous he'll piss off the GM.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

Doltos posted:

Honestly the only way to have guaranteed starting stars in the playoffs is to have someone on an almost eliminated/almost in playoff team. Pretty much everyone is going to suffer from not having first round picks play at times.

I get more mad at teams who are tanking irrationally sitting their promising young guys. I'll have someone put up 20/5 with decent steals and blocks then they just disappear for four games cus the coach is nervous he'll piss off the GM.

In my case it was just bad injury luck with Butler & Curry. I'm choosing to believe Curry is legit hurt, but who knows. The Warriors are so thin I think he'd have played if he were >90%.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

semifinals team status:

Jimmy Butler: been dead
John Collins: rolled ankle, out a couple games
Fred Van Vleet: dead?
Danilo Galinari: perpetually dead

AD: Still kickin'

*furiously knocks on wood for five minutes*

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Mar 21, 2018

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I don't know if it's a default or something on ESPN, but our 8-man league has 2-week playoff matchups and has a cap of 14 matchup acquisitions. The guy I'm matched up again has been furiously streaming and with the TJ Warren injury he's at 11/14 transactions used with the matchup ending on Sunday. Dude's going to cap out and I'm still up 7-1 (he's within 10 rebounds and steals mainly because of all the churning, but I've got the higher seed tiebreaker so he'd need to win 5-3).

Am I an rear end in a top hat if I bring the matchup transaction cap up as something to change for next season? Not to blame the guy who's clawing at a chance to win within the rules, but there's no reason it should be that high. I think it was the case last season too, but I didn't notice because nobody was really pushing it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sounds to me like it wouldn't even be close if you bothered to match him in transactions and you're just annoyed because he has a chance to upset your higher seeded team.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I can't believe the Pelicans have 5 games during the fantasy playoffs this week and my opponent has their three main scorers and stat contributors and they're in the hunt for a playoff spot so they can't rest any of them.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc

Power of Pecota posted:

I don't know if it's a default or something on ESPN, but our 8-man league has 2-week playoff matchups and has a cap of 14 matchup acquisitions. The guy I'm matched up again has been furiously streaming and with the TJ Warren injury he's at 11/14 transactions used with the matchup ending on Sunday. Dude's going to cap out and I'm still up 7-1 (he's within 10 rebounds and steals mainly because of all the churning, but I've got the higher seed tiebreaker so he'd need to win 5-3).

Am I an rear end in a top hat if I bring the matchup transaction cap up as something to change for next season? Not to blame the guy who's clawing at a chance to win within the rules, but there's no reason it should be that high. I think it was the case last season too, but I didn't notice because nobody was really pushing it.

I don't think proposing rule changes in the offseason ever makes you an rear end in a top hat. 14 is a crazy high amount and I agree it should be reduced.

In the meantime, churn the hell out of your last roster spot or two to make sure you win.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Gobias Ind. posted:

I don't think proposing rule changes in the offseason ever makes you an rear end in a top hat. 14 is a crazy high amount and I agree it should be reduced.

In the meantime, churn the hell out of your last roster spot or two to make sure you win.

14 is one move per day. Maybe I just have a different viewpoint from streaming pitchers in baseball but that seems fine to me.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

14 is one move per day. Maybe I just have a different viewpoint from streaming pitchers in baseball but that seems fine to me.

I was assuming you typically got 14 moves per week, and that this just a special playoff case. If it's 7 moves per week, that's more reasonable although still higher than I think is necessary.

I feel like pitchers are a different animal since they are made of glass and don't play in every game and can't really be compared to basketball.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Gobias Ind. posted:

I was assuming you typically got 14 moves per week, and that this just a special playoff case. If it's 7 moves per week, that's more reasonable although still higher than I think is necessary.

I feel like pitchers are a different animal since they are made of glass and don't play in every game and can't really be compared to basketball.

He said 14 moves for a two week matchup so I assumed it was set at 7 per week :shrug:

Basketball players don't play every day either. Hell, the Timberwolves had a six day break a week or so ago, followed by a three and four day break shortly after. It's not exactly the same situation as pitchers but it's close enough.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

imo, fantasy baseball streaming's different because in a standard league streaming a waiver-level guy has a trade-off of two potential counting stats (strikeouts and one of wins or saves) vs. two rate stats (ERA and WHIP).

In a normal basketball league, just churning low quality pure volume helps 6 stats and hinders 3 and our league doesn't count turnovers so it's even more imbalanced.

JaMychal Green's probably my most churnable guy and I'll probably pick up two games by swapping him out Friday/Saturday/Sunday for whoever just to be safe, but having the playoffs potentially swung by a train of Corey Brewers and Greg Monroes who get dumped after one game seemed kinda lame.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

He said 14 moves for a two week matchup so I assumed it was set at 7 per week :shrug:

Basketball players don't play every day either. Hell, the Timberwolves had a six day break a week or so ago, followed by a three and four day break shortly after. It's not exactly the same situation as pitchers but it's close enough.

I don't have experience with multi-week playoffs, but in hockey and basketball leagues when matchups are extended to 2 weeks over the all-star break you don't get double the moves. You get your normal weekly limit.

I said they don't play in every game, not every day. Pitchers are totally different because they play once every 5 days, and their matchup is critical as to whether you'd want to start them or not. You're never benching active basketball players.

I have no issue whatsoever with streaming because it's within the rules, and I do it during the playoffs too, but I agree with Power of Pecota that it feels lame. I don't think 7 moves a week is at all necessary in basketball. My keeper league limits it to 3 and I've never had any issue with that. (And yes, I will use all 3 in this week's semi-finals, mostly because Gary Harris, TJ Warren, Kris Dunn, and now Giannis all got hurt :( )

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Power of Pecota posted:

imo, fantasy baseball streaming's different because in a standard league streaming a waiver-level guy has a trade-off of two potential counting stats (strikeouts and one of wins or saves) vs. two rate stats (ERA and WHIP).

In a normal basketball league, just churning low quality pure volume helps 6 stats and hinders 3 and our league doesn't count turnovers so it's even more imbalanced.

JaMychal Green's probably my most churnable guy and I'll probably pick up two games by swapping him out Friday/Saturday/Sunday for whoever just to be safe, but having the playoffs potentially swung by a train of Corey Brewers and Greg Monroes who get dumped after one game seemed kinda lame.

To use your "league is not normal" example, one of my leagues counts wins and quality starts, so it benefits three and only possibly hurts two ratios. My point being that it sounds like your league really benefits people that use streaming.

As far as the playoffs swinging because of his train of Monroes and Brewers, counter with a deluge of Ellingtons and Illyasovas. The fastest way to get a rule that you don't like changed is to abuse the poo poo out of it.

Gobias Ind. posted:

I said they don't play in every game, not every day. Pitchers are totally different because they play once every 5 days, and their matchup is critical as to whether you'd want to start them or not. You're never benching active basketball players.

If you're not looking at matchups to pick your basketball streamers you're doing it wrong.

Also if you're rostering a pitcher that you don't plan on throwing out there all the time (outside of a couple circumstances, like pitching in Coors) then you're also doing it wrong.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

If you're not looking at matchups to pick your basketball streamers you're doing it wrong.

Also if you're rostering a pitcher that you don't plan on throwing out there all the time (outside of a couple circumstances, like pitching in Coors) then you're also doing it wrong.

Okay? Neither of these are really relevant to what I was saying.

What I'm saying is that there are pitchers that are only worth starting in certain matchups, which is why you would stream them as opposed to rostering them long-term. There is no basketball player that is worth rostering that you aren't starting every single time they have a game.

Of course if you ARE streaming you should absolutely consider the matchup, but I'm saying that I don't believe streaming has the same benefit in basketball as it does with SPs which was essentially the point of this discussion.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Gobias Ind. posted:

Okay? Neither of these are really relevant to what I was saying.

What I'm saying is that there are pitchers that are only worth starting in certain matchups, which is why you would stream them as opposed to rostering them long-term. There is no basketball player that is worth rostering that you aren't starting every single time they have a game.

Of course if you ARE streaming you should absolutely consider the matchup, but I'm saying that I don't believe streaming has the same benefit in basketball as it does with SPs which was essentially the point of this discussion.

OK, I see the disconnect here.

When I'm streaming, in any sport, I have a roster spot (or more) that is the dedicated streamer spot. Anyone who isn't in the streamer spot is someone I would always start.

So Basketball works the same way, for me. You're saying that you'd rather just keep someone on your roster that you can start every time they have a game, and I'm saying that I'm using that last roster spot to just constantly cycle through players because they're end of roster fodder that's basically all interchangeable.

Is that about right? I think I was mixing the two roster theories together before.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 22, 2018

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
What does the winner of the consolation bracket get in our league?

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

OK, I see the disconnect here.

When I'm streaming, in any sport, I have a roster spot (or more) that is the dedicated streamer spot. Anyone who isn't in the streamer spot is someone I would always start.

So Basketball works the same way, for me. You're saying that you'd rather just keep someone on your roster that you can start every time they have a game, and I'm saying that I'm using that last roster spot to just constantly cycle through players because they're end of roster fodder that's basically all interchangeable.

Is that about right? I think I was mixing the two roster theories together before.

Okay yeah, that's fair. I wasn't considering an actual rotating roster spot.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

What does the winner of the consolation bracket get in our league?

$0 so thanks everyone in the consolation bracket for swiping up the people I need now that my entire teams injured!

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
lol i won my league by 30 games with a .770 wp (went 21-1 and only lost that one week 5-8 when i would've won 7-6 if i remembered to set my lineup on wednesday) for the season and i'm going to get blown out in the semis because giannis, derozan, dwight, and collins can't stay in the goddamn lineup

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Same brother. Between everyone making GBS threads the bed tonight, my opponent having three Pelicans (including AD) play 5 times this week, Giannis and Lavine going down, ugh.

Same poo poo every year in the playoffs. At least there's always third place!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

i'm making a daring drop in preparation for my finals, i'm just hoping that it doesn't blow up in my face.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

i'm making a daring drop in preparation for my finals, i'm just hoping that it doesn't blow up in my face.

If it's Andre Drummond, I did that two years ago and it paid off.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

Doltos posted:

Same brother. Between everyone making GBS threads the bed tonight, my opponent having three Pelicans (including AD) play 5 times this week, Giannis and Lavine going down, ugh.

The Pels only played 4 times but yeah it feels like it's been a brutal playoffs for injuries. I lost Harris, Warren and Dunn and (luckily it was only 1 game) briefly Giannis.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Injury bug kinda hurt but I only really lost Lavine and Giannis for one game in the playoffs (not counting the decimation to my roster during the season). What really made me lose was everyone randomly making GBS threads the bed on Saturday and Sunday. loving Melo man.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Power of Pecota posted:

If it's Andre Drummond, I did that two years ago and it paid off.

Nope, dropping Dennis Schroder! Dude has been good for me but he both doesn't play into my strategy and has missed two of his last four games because the Hawks are tanking. Bye Denny!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I'm afraid I'm tinkering too much in a non-keeper standard roto league championship, but DeRozan has one more start after tonight, so I dropped him (effective tomorrow) for George Hill, who has three more starts. I've been punting turnovers and FT%, so if I can overwhelm the six positive counting stats with a sheer number of starts, I think I should win. I'm looking at a +7 margin in starts as it stands right now.

We max at 4 transactions per week and 14 seems insane.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Doltos posted:

Lol wife didn’t set her roster yesterday and I was like, you dumb idiot but you didn’t either and had more and better players on the bench. Smooth moves Doltos enjoy 4th place

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Poque posted:

I'm afraid I'm tinkering too much in a non-keeper standard roto league championship, but DeRozan has one more start after tonight, so I dropped him (effective tomorrow) for George Hill, who has three more starts. I've been punting turnovers and FT%, so if I can overwhelm the six positive counting stats with a sheer number of starts, I think I should win. I'm looking at a +7 margin in starts as it stands right now.

We max at 4 transactions per week and 14 seems insane.

I love Serge Ibaka and it's going to hurt me to drop him as a Raptors fan, but I don't think I can justify holding onto him after tonight with just one more game until March 3rd. I'm hopefully going to be able to grab him again for next week, though.

Also, I don't have 14 transactions for the championship:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

DeimosRising posted:

Lol wife didn’t set her roster yesterday and I was like, you dumb idiot but you didn’t either and had more and better players on the bench. Smooth moves Doltos enjoy 4th place

I've lost the will for third place but now I want it

• Locked thread