Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
preload begins. commence to nurglin'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

The mandalore review is good for tempering the hype, sounds like some good improvements but also some steps back and broken things, seiges especially

stranger danger
May 24, 2006
Is there any hilariously broken OP bullshit that anyone knows about? I don't have any race in particular that I want to play first, so I wanna partake in the cheese before it inevitably gets patched out.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

stranger danger posted:

Is there any hilariously broken OP bullshit that anyone knows about? I don't have any race in particular that I want to play first, so I wanna partake in the cheese before it inevitably gets patched out.

Tzeentch barriers are mega busted

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Yeah tzeentch it sounds like, and Khorne is very strong too

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

stranger danger posted:

The Ogre cannon is massively OP, also there's apparently some bug for a couple of factions that allows infinite winds of magic but only for those factions that I'm not sure on the specifics of.

Khorne campaign is basically Taurox on steroids.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

So is Yuri the the dude in this trailer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaLtE3cCEIs

(also drat this game had some good trailers)

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Alctel posted:

Nah, Yuri's like a young guy.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

uber_stoat posted:

preload begins. commence to nurglin'

oh wait poo poo 3 is coming out that soon?

How much of 1 and 2 will port over to 3? Am I going to have to re-buy all those DLC (beastmen, etc?)

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

oh wait poo poo 3 is coming out that soon?

How much of 1 and 2 will port over to 3? Am I going to have to re-buy all those DLC (beastmen, etc?)

All of it, and no

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Alctel posted:

All of it, and no

huzzah

I still remember the first time I saw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIU6BmuHtI0

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

MULTIPLE Ogre units seem undercosted, have incredibly good synergies, and/or are just flat out busted. Even aside from Ironblasters, Gorgers have been noted as being absolutely insane for their price in general and have regen from Skrag just being present anywhere on the map along with scaling damage as he gets kills. Stalk + very fast movement speed (54) + Unbreakable + Vanguard + high AP, anti-infantry and Frenzy + aforementioned regen and damage boost... and they're not terribly expensive either. There's a reason literally every person who ran Ogre Kingdoms in the tourney two days ago was using Skrag. Typically alongside double Ironblaster and multiple Gorgers as the army core.

Their chaff of Gnoblar Trappers are also just incredibly good at stopping enemy units cold (say if you're trying to retreat your lord from a chasing enemy - just have them retreat through some Trappers), because they've got Stalk (meaning Ogres have the only two Stalking units of the new rosters... and capping doesn't reveal you) and an ability that massively slows down an enemy unit (and does damage) if it runs into the Trappers after they've been standing still for a bit.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Lord Koth posted:

MULTIPLE Ogre units seem undercosted, have incredibly good synergies, and/or are just flat out busted. Even aside from Ironblasters, Gorgers have been noted as being absolutely insane for their price in general and have regen from Skrag just being present anywhere on the map along with scaling damage as he gets kills. Stalk + very fast movement speed (54) + Unbreakable + Vanguard + high AP, anti-infantry and Frenzy + aforementioned regen and damage boost... and they're not terribly expensive either. There's a reason literally every person who ran Ogre Kingdoms in the tourney two days ago was using Skrag. Typically alongside double Ironblaster and multiple Gorgers as the army core.

Their chaff of Gnoblar Trappers are also just incredibly good at stopping enemy units cold (say if you're trying to retreat your lord from a chasing enemy - just have them retreat through some Trappers), because they've got Stalk (meaning Ogres have the only two Stalking units of the new rosters... and capping doesn't reveal you) and an ability that massively slows down an enemy unit (and does damage) if it runs into the Trappers after they've been standing still for a bit.

Big dudes stay winning.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Lord Koth posted:

I really don't think Skrag should get the Gorger boosting map-wide ability in custom battle/MP it's totally at odds with virtually every single other lord in the game not having anything like unconditional boosts to units outside of campaign. The only thing that would justfiy Skrag having that ability is if map-wide passive boosts to units was given to a bunch of other lords in custom battle/MP as well. The easiest and probably best answer is for him to simply not have that ability outside of campaign.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I'd like to see more abilities like that come in to promote some more themed armies, buuuuuuuuuut that's also a ton of work so it's probably easier to just cut it. Or make it way more expensive because it is just a powerful tool to have.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Alctel posted:

That's another prologue character.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Oh yeah, there was some fully-modeled huntress in that trailer. Is she in the game? Is there a bow-weilding Boyar variant whose existence I’ve somehow missed this whole time?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Dr Christmas posted:

Oh yeah, there was some fully-modeled huntress in that trailer. Is she in the game? Is there a bow-weilding Boyar variant whose existence I’ve somehow missed this whole time?

IIRC that's just a regular Dervish / Horse Archer model, pretty sure I've seen her hat on light cavalry unit models.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

stranger danger posted:

DameOffensive has been running a Cathay campaign, with Miao Ying as a one-woman doomstack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBgMNqTNMzM

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Randarkman posted:

I really don't think Skrag should get the Gorger boosting map-wide ability in custom battle/MP it's totally at odds with virtually every single other lord in the game not having anything like unconditional boosts to units outside of campaign. The only thing that would justfiy Skrag having that ability is if map-wide passive boosts to units was given to a bunch of other lords in custom battle/MP as well. The easiest and probably best answer is for him to simply not have that ability outside of campaign.

Why on earth would you want to remove something which makes a Lord different

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Because it's not, really? The effect is no different than if it was a red-line ability, the only difference is that it warps MP this way when it doesn't need to.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

did you read the post

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

stranger danger posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-L-pj5XXFaY

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Communist Thoughts posted:

The mandalore review is good for tempering the hype, sounds like some good improvements but also some steps back and broken things, seiges especially

I'd forgotten how loving horrible the vortex campaign was

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Siege AI being a mess is a thing that's so engrained into TW series I don't see it ever being completely fixed.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I feel like only the people completely blinded by hype are going into this expecting it to be bug free and balanced on release and don't think there will be 6-12 months before the game starts feeling more complete.

Will still be great though and I wanna get into those co-op campaigns.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Jarvisi posted:

I'd forgotten how loving horrible the vortex campaign was

I never thought it was that bad tbh. For all the praise Mortal Empires gets, I never played a campaign in Mortal Empires as any game 2 race except the Skaven because of how horribly truncated the New World and the Southlands were, hopefully the Immortal Empires restores them, along with more of Cathay but I highly doubt it.

Whorelord fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Feb 16, 2022

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Whorelord posted:

I never thought it was that bad tbh. I also never played a game in Mortal Empires as the Dark Elves or Lizardmen because of how horribly truncated the New World and the Southlands were.

You could just ignore it completely most of the time. But sounds like they took that as a challenge for this new one. One well, still playing

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I don't mind the abiity existing, what I do mind is this one LL having a passive map-wide boost to one of their faction's key units in multiplayer when that is somethign no other lord (legendary or otherwise) has. Again in multiplayer. That's bad in and of itself unless other lords in general get boosts like that to further encourage specific builds with them, then it would be good. It's worse in context of the Ogre Kingdoms in multiplayer, because as far as I can tell Gorgers are a very important unit for them and might be something you bring in virtually every match up, with that in mind, not taking Skrag means that one of your key units is just worse at all times. IMO that's not good.

TLDR: Ability existing is fine in campaign. In multiplayer it is not, given how things like that work for every other race and lord, and for the other Ogre Kingdoms lords even. This does not mean removing it in general, but that it probably should not be available in multiplayer.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Jarvisi posted:

You could just ignore it completely most of the time. But sounds like they took that as a challenge for this new one. One well, still playing

I actually liked it more before I knew that. My first campaign was really fun because I actually fell behind in the Vortex race and hadn't figured out just how powerful stacking ranged units was yet, though I was trending that way. Anyway, I had to launch a naval invasion of Ulthuan well before I was ready to keep Lothern from winning and balancing Malekith's invasion army and a black ark against all of Lothern while I was recruiting lovely half-stacks at home to defend against the ritual invasion armies was some of the most tense and fun times I've had in TW.

Sometimes playing things before they become "solved" can be really fun.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
This one seems better then the Vortex campaign anyway, as the main issue everyone had was the chaos incursion poo poo when you were doing a ritual and how they basically always would sack a settlement because of how random their spawns were

in contrast to the (main, mind you, not only) campaign where incursions are loudly broadcasted in advanced and instead of playing defensive to make progress you rip and tear through a chaos realm. I think they chaos realm romps will get stale over multiple playthroughs, though

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
I am reasonably hyped to play tomorrow, I'm trying really hard to temper my expectations as I got a new PC that could run TWW2 in November 2020, so I got to experience the game after a few years of balance patches and free DLC. I have spent approximately 99.9 percent of my SP playing mortal empires and not the vortex campaign. There certainly looks to be enough to keep me entertained in TWW3 for a few months but I also see tons of room for expansion in the army rosters.

I'm thinking I'll do katerina first, then ogres, then one of the demon factions. Who are you guys thinking for your first campaign?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I'm going to play build a demon. My first ever bad guy campaign. I just like the idea of playing it up as a hammy demon prince.

Though I do hope that the DP can set up cults like some of the main chaos folks can, I'd love to be loving around with occult underground nonsense!

After that it is Cathay. I like playing as Dwarves mostly and it seems like they are going to be fulfilling that niche.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I'm like 99% sure prince build-a-bear can't make cults.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Hell Im glad the siege AI struggles to cope with my masterful strategems. The sheer number of Boyz will cause them to become disorganized and flee at the combined sight of my Waaagh and also my posting.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Prologue then get decision paralysis and roll a D9 on my phone

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

I actually liked it more before I knew that. My first campaign was really fun because I actually fell behind in the Vortex race and hadn't figured out just how powerful stacking ranged units was yet, though I was trending that way. Anyway, I had to launch a naval invasion of Ulthuan well before I was ready to keep Lothern from winning and balancing Malekith's invasion army and a black ark against all of Lothern while I was recruiting lovely half-stacks at home to defend against the ritual invasion armies was some of the most tense and fun times I've had in TW.

Sometimes playing things before they become "solved" can be really fun.

Yeah, I had fun the first vortex game I played, and I didn't even really *hate it* like some people do, it just wasn't mechanically all that engaging with how the AI just kind of ignored the main gimmick and how the best strategy was to not do any ritual until you were ready to blitz all of them. Plus intervention armies were pretty bad and highlighted a few latent TW design problems and the random spawns of ritual armies was always pretty irritating.

But a lot of criticism people lob at it comes off a lot of times as a dedicated refusal to engage the mode at all compared to just wanting to play TW as its usually done, an untimed map painting game that gets boring by midgame since there's no pressure anymore. There are a few things with the game 3 mode that I think are suspect (it seems too dethatched from the main gameplay loop) but the "lack of rewards for doing the things that win you the game" critique hasn't really shook me that much.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I managed to avoid getting too hyped up for this despite being excited for it, but today I watched some videos and the hype train is now in full effect and oh my god all of the units are cool as hell and the maps are rad and aaaaaa

I'm sure it has been posted in this thread (e: in fact it was on the very last page!) but MandaloreGaming put up an hour long review video two days ago that has plenty of critical things to say despite being positive, it's helping me temper my expectations:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRJo3R3ANsw

e: Some critical things that stood out to me:
The Realms of Chaos fights are fun but repetitive and gimmicky so they'll probably be skipped after the first playthrough
Level cap was raised to 50 and Lords have expanded/buffed skill trees to take advantage of it, but heroes don't so they feel wimpy
Cavalry is still pretty weak like in TW2
There are some tower defense type fights that encourage using entirely-ranged armies, combined with the above this one is probably going to be ranged-dominated too
Much more complicated battle maps leads to lots of pathfinding issues, which makes the AI particularly bad in manual battles (especially siege battles where the defender can dynamically place embracements/towers/etc affecting pathfinding) - often just running in circles eating arrows, failing to stand on victory points, etc. which greatly detracts from a lot of the cool new complex mechanics, because the AI just isn't capable of handling them.
Settlement battles are worse than ever because of the above and there are way too many of them

Also good things I didn't know about until watching this:
A dedicated button to tell tresspassers to GTFO, if they don't leave you can declare war against them with no penalty
You can build outposts on allied cities that lets you provide some supporting garrison troops to them, and earns you a resource that allows you to recruit a small number of the ally's units - so you can finally form mixed-faction armies.
Cathay has some super cool unique systems, like their econ buildings are bad but they have a pretty in-depth trade caravan system where you plan out trade routes and protect your caravans running around the map, a lot of neat campaign mechanics
Revamped siege maps where city maps are individually tailored to the owning faction's tactics - like empire cities having lots of high ground they can camp and snipe from, orc maps have tons of open room for blobbing, vampire cities have lots of tall buildings to use as cover from ranged units, etc. and sieges have multiple victory/capture points to spread the battle out over the larger map instead of focusing on a single battle at the gate

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 16, 2022

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Yeah, I had fun the first vortex game I played, and I didn't even really *hate it* like some people do, it just wasn't mechanically all that engaging with how the AI just kind of ignored the main gimmick and how the best strategy was to not do any ritual until you were ready to blitz all of them. Plus intervention armies were pretty bad and highlighted a few latent TW design problems and the random spawns of ritual armies was always pretty irritating.

But a lot of criticism people lob at it comes off a lot of times as a dedicated refusal to engage the mode at all compared to just wanting to play TW as its usually done, an untimed map painting game that gets boring by midgame since there's no pressure anymore. There are a few things with the game 3 mode that I think are suspect (it seems too dethatched from the main gameplay loop) but the "lack of rewards for doing the things that win you the game" critique hasn't really shook me that much.

It was more fun thinking the race mattered. That plus the random army spawns being less random and WoC wasn't so boring a roster, who know. Like, making the donut gates a big feature iin marketing and then making GBS threads out 5 stacks of hellcannons and chosen inside the ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Randarkman posted:

I'm like 99% sure prince build-a-bear can't make cults.

Awhhh, booo. Oh well, guess Slaanesh or Tzeetch will be my 3rd choice.