Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
if it wasn't its connection to warhammer fantasy i don't think id have really cared at all about age of sigmar. itd just occupy that same mental niche as some knockoff dnd setting with a lot of world of warcraft aesthetic influences, with some particularly funny naming schemes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Mr. Grapes! posted:

I won't say anime again. But the art style is very different, and I'm sure a lot of that is just due to the other stuff being decades old. For what it's worth, I think DnD 5e art is almost entirely terrible while a lot of the older stuff feels darker, more 'realistic', or at least stylized in an interesting smudgy dirty way, rather than the overly clean lines and armor I see in Sigmar.
Yeah, I'm with you. It's the "modern" style that's found in a lot of places because I guess people market tested it and found it appealed to whatever demographic we're not in.:shrug:

Honestly, most of GW's modern stuff trends towards to "way too busy" for my tastes and ends up looking stupid/ugly. I guess part of that is also GW attempting to stay ahead of 3D printing tech.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

Raygereio posted:

Yeah, I'm with you. It's the "modern" style that's found in a lot of places because I guess people market tested it and found it appealed to whatever demographic we're not in.:shrug:

Honestly, most of GW's modern stuff trends towards to "way too busy" for my tastes and ends up looking stupid/ugly. I guess part of that is also GW attempting to stay ahead of 3D printing tech.

That's interesting - never really thought about it from that angle. I guess it is relatively easy to find free sculpts of generic Landsknechte or crusaders or something to just use in your Official Tabletop game but the stuff just loaded up with gadgets and gizmos is a lot harder to counterfeit.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
It's less that people can print it and more that the designers work on cad instead of with their hands so it's easier to stick a million tiny details on a model.

Also massive manufacturing improvements for plastic.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Laughing Zealot posted:

My biggest issue with AoS was that there wasn't any clearcut area/planet/whatever it takes place on, it's just the rather vague "realms", but I think that's something that has become more fleshed out in the last few years.

They still are fleshing it out. My white dwarfs usually have a big chunk to skip over explaining some new anime poo poo in the realm of blah. I honestly have tried looking at it a bit just based on watching this thread argue about it, and I find it to be rather dull and anime. I still read the battle reports though. Especially if I see ogres.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The AoS and modern 40k art is all super consistent. I think that's a big part of why people bounce of off it. It feels churned out and corporate. Disney Star Wars vs George Lucas Star Wars. You might think some of the Lucas ones suck, but you can see the dude's insane personal touch all over even the bad ones.

Pretty sure the rule now is art has to depict actual toys you can buy. No more crazy John Blanche art. You wanna draw an elf with a fish friend, it's gotta be one of the 15 models thereof.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?
I don't think we'll get 40k, or a good one, because it would seemingly require a shitload of work on the engine to change how units move, fight, interact with terrain, etc.

We've had like 25 years of Total War games and they have basically worked the same way in field battles. Empire could barely handle being fire-arm based and that was still based around dudes standing around in giant blobs shooting at other blobs.

40k would be awesome, but I just don't think the Total War engine could handle it without being massively redesigned from the ground up, which seemingly hasn't really happened. There isn't a huge difference between how you play Shogun 1 vs Three Kingdoms on the battle map.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I'm glad age of sigmar is actually good and fun to play but i dont care about the lore and prefer the more traditional weird medieval style of old fantasy warhammer.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

hemale in pain posted:

I'm glad age of sigmar is actually good and fun to play but i dont care about the lore and prefer the more traditional weird medieval style of old fantasy warhammer.

yeah that seems to be the prevailing and safe opinion but i guess while we sit here happy in darkness some people like to be in vans with wizards painted on the sides maybe even living in them seeing the world maybe even worlds man like maybe we are immortal warriors man

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Mr. Grapes! posted:

A bunch of pictures, some of which don't work

I agree with you. What makes Warhammer a neat setting to me is that on one side you have a Monstrous demon from a different plane of existence, and defending against that demon is 50 guys armed with a spear and their fanciest hat. Age of sigmar doesn't have that and that makes it less appealing to me.

If they make a cool TW game from that setting i'll probably still get it, but I would prefer they do some other setting for their next big fantasy series. If it's 40k and it actually works as a total war game, i'll be thoroughly impressed.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

kanonvandekempen posted:

I agree with you. What makes Warhammer a neat setting to me is that on one side you have a Monstrous demon from a different plane of existence, and defending against that demon is 50 guys armed with a spear and their fanciest hat. Age of sigmar doesn't have that and that makes it less appealing to me.

If they make a cool TW game from that setting i'll probably still get it, but I would prefer they do some other setting for their next big fantasy series. If it's 40k and it actually works as a total war game, i'll be thoroughly impressed.

It does have that though. There is an entire faction that is just the Empire models from Warhammer Fantasy plus some dwarf and elf stuff depending on what you want.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Mr. Grapes! posted:

I don't think we'll get 40k, or a good one, because it would seemingly require a shitload of work on the engine to change how units move, fight, interact with terrain, etc.

We've had like 25 years of Total War games and they have basically worked the same way in field battles. Empire could barely handle being fire-arm based and that was still based around dudes standing around in giant blobs shooting at other blobs.

40k would be awesome, but I just don't think the Total War engine could handle it without being massively redesigned from the ground up, which seemingly hasn't really happened. There isn't a huge difference between how you play Shogun 1 vs Three Kingdoms on the battle map.

Well CA have said the next Three Kingdoms game is going to be very different. I think that’s going to be their first iteration on really changing up the entire engine, with the final goal of 40k

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Three Kingdoms

in space

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
Is today Ogre day?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Lucinice posted:

Is today Ogre day?
If I recall right, today is the embargo lift date for Ogres and reviews.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Spending Valentine's day like Sigmar intended, home alone watching cgi depictions of buff shirtless bears

e: proposal: leave this thread open forever as official Warhammer Lore Slapfight Thread, and new thread can be for posting about TWW3.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Feb 14, 2022

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

That and the “can’t wait for 40k total war” thread.

Tbh I’d play a 40k grand strategy only if it turned into something like that Chapter Master game, where any Imperial factions are just a cog in an unconfrontably large empire that can only barely be negotiated with.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Triskelli posted:

Tbh I’d play a 40k grand strategy only if it turned into something like that Chapter Master game, where any Imperial factions are just a cog in an unconfrontably large empire that can only barely be negotiated with.

I mean yeah that's how it should work, the map almost certainly shouldn't cover all of the galaxy, and the singular Imperium itself should definitely not be playable, but be something maybe kind of like the Han Empire in 3K that the Imperial factions can interact with in different ways, and occasionally levels demands and such on them.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Azran posted:

A Youtuber got access to a content creator pack and made a map with all starting positions (minor and major factions) plus another one with all the crests for new factions (plus a few repeats). Please pay attention to
a) the big empty hole in the Dark Lands
b) the fact that Nagashizzar has its own crest despite not being on the map

Something weird, come to think of it; Norsca only has two tags according to this and neither are the legendary lord ones

eshin and moulder also aren't on there nor the greenskins, just generics for all of them. the only returning LL seems to be franz

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Gamerofthegame posted:

Something weird, come to think of it; Norsca only has two tags according to this and neither are the legendary lord ones

eshin and moulder also aren't on there nor the greenskins, just generics for all of them. the only returning LL seems to be franz

The list of the flags only has the new ones, so it doesn't have the Sarls and such, who are also on the map. Both Sniktch and Throt are on the game 3 map, as is Ungrim Ironfist. But yeah, no Wulfrik or Throgg.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Azran posted:

A Youtuber got access to a content creator pack and made a map with all starting positions (minor and major factions) plus another one with all the crests for new factions (plus a few repeats). Please pay attention to
a) the big empty hole in the Dark Lands
b) the fact that Nagashizzar has its own crest despite not being on the map

What Chaos faction's emblem is "gun"?

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
with Ogre Kingdoms and Chaos Dwarves I can finally live out my dream of smashing smol thicc men with big hats into regular-sized men in fancy clothes into large, buff green guys with tusks into even larger, thicc-af orange bois with tusks

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Aurubin posted:

What Chaos faction's emblem is "gun"?

Tutorial enemy faction

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Azran posted:

Tutorial enemy faction

Yuri the Russian Demon Prince seems kinda like Archaon in terms of his story, except swap Ursun for Sigmar. The moral of the story is never have faith in anything.

Ah crap now I'm a demon prince of Necoho.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Aurubin posted:

Yuri the Russian Demon Prince seems kinda like Archaon in terms of his story, except swap Ursun for Sigmar. The moral of the story is never have faith in anything.

Ah crap now I'm a demon prince of Necoho.

The moral of Yuri's story is not to be a bitch who changes horses when it gets tough.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Idk, I'd rather be an immortal ripped flying demon guy who can swap out body parts at will than a vaguely slavic dude.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Idk, I'd rather be an immortal ripped flying demon guy who can swap out body parts at will than a vaguely slavic dude.

Interestingly on that note, the dialogue in the prologue campaign is extremely expicity about Yuri and his men all being Ungols. Which... I just hope hope they aren't all Slavic guys with Slavic names when they get actually get around to introducing some flavor there.

e: If that's how they wind up being, I might turn into that one Turkish redditor or whoever wrote that post that was quoted a couple days back.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 14, 2022

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The new ebook that just dropped on Total War Access touches on the ethnic divide a bit.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Sinteres posted:

The new ebook that just dropped on Total War Access touches on the ethnic divide a bit.

I mean good, there is definitely signs that it existing and being a divide is acknowledged. But if it just turns out the Ungols are Slavic as well and not more Tatar/Siberian Turkic/Kazakh and such, I will be incredibly disappointed.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Judging by the ebook they're just rural Slavs who hang out with Baba Yaga. Maybe Cossacks?

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I like age of sigmar AND warhammer fantasy :stare:

AND I get to have both :catstare:

The winner is clearly, me

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Sinteres posted:

Judging by the ebook they're just rural Slavs who hang out with Baba Yaga. Maybe Cossacks?

Goddamnit, that's incredibly disappointing. If they stick with that, they've literally whitewashed Kislev.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

The Deleter posted:

Okay, big brain time. Three Kingdoms got a last stand ish mode, although I don't know how popular it was because as fun as Xiaohou Dun cutting down dudes is it's not an Ork, a Tau and a Tyranid teaming up to fight off their inevitable doom.

But that game mode + build a Bear tech from the Daemon prince but for other race's lords? Pure money spinner.

I don't want skirmish battles, I don't want minicampaigns, I don't want gimmick race against time mechanics, I don't want timewaster wind-down modes, I want a robust and deep simulation game that's reactive and captivating the full way through. And if I don't get every bit of that I will begin complaining on Reddit daily.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Randarkman posted:

Goddamnit, that's incredibly disappointing. If they stick with that, they've literally whitewashed Kislev.
Weren't the Ungols always Zaporozhians?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Terrible Opinions posted:

Weren't the Ungols always Zaporozhians?

I'd imagine they were only really truly expanded upon in the WFRP source book, before that in the Mordheim list there were "Cossacks" and not anything like Ungols, then in the White Dwarf list I think the horse-archers were called Ungols, as were the Kossars (as "originally an Ungol tribe") and were identified as a separate ethnic group. In the sourcebook then, the Ungols are explicitly non-Slavic in their identity and are essentially a mish-mash of what I said Tatars, Siberian Turks, Kazakhs and also to a certain degree Cossacks, but again explicitly non-Slavic.

In any case I think it's massive, loving shame if they stick with it.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Okay then, well that's a shame then. I was just going off illustrations that all look like they're straight out of reply to the Sultan painting.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Well, having looked through the ebook it's basically about as explicit as to exactly what the Ungols are as the prologue camapign, Yuri is an Ungol prince, they are not the same as the Gospodars who dominate in Kislev, and they worship/are led by the hag witches (I'd guess "mother Ostyanka" is the replacement for literal Baba Yaga, and yeah that's an element of the Ungols that was taken from Russian folklore yeah, but I think that was also established by the same WFRP source book), names used are mostly Slavic, but there's also some outliers.

Still, hope they go for making them, you know not Slavic, but at this point I'm apprehensive, though it's still up in the air.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Feb 14, 2022

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Madaloregaming's reviews are usually fun. Can't remember how I found that channel but he did a big TWWII one. Did the same for III, if anyone is curious. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRJo3R3ANsw

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i hope the salutara song is in the new game, i love to salutara

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I really love Warhammer 2 huntsmen, love that band of brothers personality type in a world of bombast