Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Whorelord posted:

I get attacked and attack armies on the field regularly :shrug:

Same here, AI attacks every time autoresolve gives them equal-ish chances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

How much of a dickpunch is the last ritual on normal? The previous one cost me 4 razed cities and starting a 3-way hellwar with both flavours of knife-ears.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I like sieges, even if they are made trivial by some units (Terradon riders with explosive missiles). I feel that increasing the firing cones of towers and having towers pick targets based on something else than "who's the closest" would help make them more lethal.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I'm having a lot of fun with the vortex campaign, probably the best idea for late campaign challenge in any TW game. I haven't tried the ME one though.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Because there can be only one baddest chaos boy around..

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

And :orks101:

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I was surprised by how useful Skinks with blowpipes are. They can either trade shots with light skirmishers, chase archers so enemy skirmish mode activates, or just wheel around the enemy line and focus fire on any problematic units. For people with good micro they are also awesome enemy distractors, those units won me a battle or two against chaos when foot marauders and a chosen or two decided to chase them around the map being slowly whittled down (Marauders) while the rest of enemy stack gets encircled by my superior numbers.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I've mostly used lizardmen flyers in that function until I had to face chaos army spawning in an inconvenient place. Then it was a case of :supaburn: let's at least delay and destroy an unit or two before my armies catch up to them :supaburn:

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Any tips for dealing with AI Tomb Kings as Lizardmen? I'm on normal, and could simply ignore them as I strangle elves for domination or tempest victory. But they might as well end up going south and striking my garrisoned only cities.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Thanks for the tip!

I'm bros with southern ones, and was on great terms with the northern, but they've allied with Skaven that trashed my province. Now they won't accept any peace offer, even though we both fight a common enemy in DElves.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Raygereio posted:

The system from Empire:TW where the world map is divided up in theaters might be good solution to the ME problem where it's just too big.
I didn't play Empire all that much though, so I don't remember how well/badly that worked.

It was ok, there were exit zones on the edges of the sea maps. For example to get from Europe to India you had to get your fleet to the map exit zone and then either jump next turn to a zone around modern day Nigeria, and then travel to another exit zone to Madagascar and next turn to India. Or you could specify India on that first trip and it would take 2 or 3 turns for your navy to be underway.

Had Lizardmen Banishment spell land perfectly yesterday, cool Froggo rake in 200 kills against HE Spearmen and White Lions standing close during a siege. :feelsgood:

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

That sucks. It looks like I got lucky when I've destroyed VSea as Lizards. Are Coves set up by agents? Looks like something moddable the same way poeple modded out agent actions in WH1.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

What's the deal with Black Arks? I'm pushing Naggarond pretty hard and I see those 2 stacks patrolling the coast, never doing anything to my barely defended settlements. I see a huge circle of something as they move. Does it provide some kind of bonus to their land armies?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Thanks! That's pretty cool. Any reason to go after them if I don't see any DElf stacks near where they travel?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Lizards are the first race I play in TWW2, but coming from complete TWW1 I don't feel like the roster is lacking. Sure, long range artillery options, melee flyers or AP missile troops would be nice but I'm not feeling handicapped. And stuff like flyers with explosive missiles makes many sieges against AI a joke.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I was wrong, I definitely need those things in my roster :love:

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Comet is awesome for messing up enemies in sieges. It also damages walls and gates. I've found Arcane Unforging meh - it doesn't damage lords and heroes that much, unless I miss something.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Am I imagining things or pirate hordes respawn after a while?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Acute Grill posted:

The "event" ones from gaining enough infamy won't respawn but I haven't seen a single generic one that doesn't. Depending on where you start, this can be pretty annoying. Harkon, for example, is basically under an informal blockade at the start of Vortex while others are only going to fight pirate fleets if they actively go hunting for one.

All they do is add turn times for my Lizardmen campaign. I wish they had a fixed amount of respawns, each time returning stronger. And then after the last defeat they'd be gone for good, but you'd get a factionwide bonus.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I've played max level city with walls defence against Skaven ritual spawn stack. The towers racked 1/3 of kills, more in total inflicted HP loss :black101:
Now we need some way to turn off tower fire, because they've splashed cav unit I've sent to mop up some warpcannons..

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I've finished my first Vortex campaign as a levitating frog. 202 turns and ~70 hours of fun. I could have probably finished by turn 170 by not taking 95% of not North America while simultaneously attacking Ulthuan and various southern islands. I'm 3 battles away from domination victory, so after grabbing it I'll probably start a new campaign as TK.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I could use some general tips for Settra's vortex campaign. I'm at turn 40, killed orcs to the east and one of Brets to west. Got 2 stacks of mostly chaff.
Should I level heroes and commanders jar generating skills?
What are the best building choices?
How fast should I be getting books?
What's the usual expansion directions? I wanted to snag Sartosa and then get some islands, but I imagine dealing with HElves as early game TK is not fun

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Thanks, that's very helpful.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Trillhouse posted:

I like Tomb Kings a lot but man is it annoying once you get a 4 or 5 provinces and a good income. Having to click through all the buildings and decide what to upgrade, every turn, feels like a chore. I wish I could set a template for each city so that it auto-build a chain. “If money is available, build and upgrade walls, the money making thing, and your tradable resource.”

And then I forget which unit producing buildings I’ve built and it’s like “oh cool, I can make scorpions now”.

I ended up switching to the provinces summary view and clicking all the names with small hammer next to them.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I don't know if it was recently added, but I've had Skaven about "shameful display" :3:
Also TK monster artillery owns during sieges for clearing walls.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I should probably play a horde faction. I enjoy painting the map too much though.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I usually just check the signs connected to the one colour.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Never felt the need to use chariots as TK, but Settra's podracer is pretty cool.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

They seem to have less range that your fleets. I generally ignore them, but had a mission to kill one general. Ended up parking 2 fleets in reinforcement range at their range.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Asehujiko posted:

How'd you do this? Do the RoS Ushabti stay on the field if your last real unit has disintegrated?

They do.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I wish I had rogue armies do things like this in my campaigns, usually they just stand where they spawn forever until I bother to send a army to put them out of their misery.

Same for me, but I play on normal.

I've created a thematic TK Chariot army as one of kings you unlock through research. Had 1,5 stack of Vampirate stuff sally to break siege, balance in their favour, so I've tried all out Chariot charge. Those things are absolutely devastating against light infantry. I'd off them all if they didn't have 2 Prometheans and some other monsters. 6 of chariots ended up with average of 100 kills, probably caused additional 50 in crumbling. Still far from my fav TK unit, it's easily Ushabti bows.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Not Naggarond.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I need to get that expansion already, it indeed sounds amazing.
In the meantime I'm doing domination victory as TK, and having crazy fun for a late game TW campaign :skeltal:
I've played VC for too long, where I tried to have many fronts open to slowly build corruption and move on. With TK I had most success starting in Nehekara and moving south, then jumping the continent and going north as an unstoppable wave of skellies and statues.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I've tried Tyrion Vortex campaign, and so far I find HE pretty meh. I'm doing ok, expanding nicely, but their special mechanic is boring, using agents to secure influence looks like a waste (unless you get shitton of nobles later and can run them around the map) and having at least 2/3 of your army being archers or archers/spears is boring. I can game sieges to ridiculous levels with those range 165 archers too.. I'll probably play to 3rd ritual or so to check if it clicks for me. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

It seems Peter Jackson knew how to do it:

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Anyone else had Vortex campaign Skaven not being able to progress with rituals? It's my second campaign with Vortex ritual faction and I don't think I had anyone else fail a ritual without my intervention.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Or you could get a hero, park rest of your units outside knife-ears range and do a "dodge a fuckton of arrows" dance with your hero. Then zombies eat them.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

MohawkSatan posted:

I tried this initially, but ended up getting nailed down by cavalry or fast infantry and then arrow spammed.

It might be because you've got no ranged of your own that AI acts differently. I've tried dancing the arrows away as TK a couple of times against elves and it worked with a couple of Skelly Archers in the second line.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Vortex question: do rival factions need to put their stack at the vortex to fight the last battle? I'm behind others in rituals, but hold most of Ulthuan. I can easily fortify it by the time they get to the last.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Thanks, it looks like I didn't have to sprint to take ritual sites from enemies in my previous campaign. Still it was pretty fun experience.