Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Gonkish posted:

How to figure out if you're the best Warhammer race:

- Are you an elf? You're not the best and also kill yourself.

- Are you a frog person who leads dinosaurs that ride dinosaurs? Ok that's pretty good.

- Are you a loving insane, magic cocaine sniffing ratman that uses crazy contraptions and deliberate friendly fire to achieve your goals? Congrats, you're the best race.

All of this is, of course, only applicable until Chorfs are in the game, because they have the best hats.

I beg your loving pardon?
\

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Oh drat, Momrathi is not only fairly decent in melee, she's got some pretty sweet animations to boot. Sent her in against some spearmen and suddenly she was flipping and rolling all over the place.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Oh man, legendary item quests are so much better now. No more sending agents all over the place, just do something pretty straightforward (raid a certain amount of money, capture a settlement, recruit units) with the lord in question.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ahaha, gently caress. The High Elves had just started their second ritual a little ahead of me and I had no army nearby, so I figured I'd slam one of those intervention armies into their face. I paid the full 10k and in return saw a massive doomstack pop up right next to their surprisingly unguarded ritual city. So I gleefully hit Next Turn and waited for the ritual to fail.

Except it didn't. Neither did it the next turn. Nor the one after that. When I finally thought to check, I saw what was keeping them: A single garbage Chaos 6-unit stack had gotten there first and was fruitlessly besieging the city. So my intervention force was stuck standing there with their thumbs up their arse and couldn't do much more than raze a random nearby minor settlement. After five or so turns the chaos guys finally attacked, and were unsurprisingly completely murdered. And of course that had been plenty of time for the high elves to bring down two stacks of their own and kill my intervention force. :negative:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Is it just me or are trade routes for Morathi a tad bugged? Despite having a harbor and even a shared border with some DE factions I supposedly can't establish a direct connection from my capital to theirs. My best guess is that my two primary provinces don't actually count as adjacent because there's some water between them, even though there's a land bridge right there that you can just walk right across.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Jimmy Hats posted:

55 turns in as malekith on Hard. Got my armies wiped out by the chaos spawns during my first ritual (they all spawned next to eachother and it was like 1500 v 1500, they took a pyrrhic victory and then chased me down when my guys split up on the retreat.)

Managed to win the siege battles and have recovered.

:siren: There is a poo poo tonne of free gold/resources just lying out in the middle of the sea. Get a lord on the water as soon as possible. :siren:

As Dark Elves in particular, get yourself a Black Ark early on for that purpose. Their reinforcement range is huge many of the treasure spots are fairly close to the shoreline, so you can putter along close to your land army and dart out to nab them without "wasting" a lord who could otherwise be conquering stuff on land. I generally pick the option for improving the army on the strategic layer, that usually gets you some money and items. Biggest thing I found yet was a hidden treasure with a sweet 10k gold inside.

Speaking of Black Arks, so far I've just been using them for supporting my land armies and coastal invasions, but they seem like they could be incredibly useful even on their own. Load one up with a dozen corsairs or thereabouts, sail over to the southlands, and just sack every unguarded coastal city you find down there, safe in the knowledge that your victims will probably never ever get around to taking revenge on you.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 28, 2017

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Innerguard posted:

How hard is Morathi's start, really?

Didn't seem all that bad at all, really. The hydra is a great starting unit and will basically win your early fights on its own. Your initial province has a strategic resource in each settlement which gives you a nice boost to money and recruitment. To your south you've got the Ss'ildrator faction who's usually happy to play nice and serves as a decent buffer against Mazdamundi, not to mention possibly your only trading partner. Once you've consolidated your own province, your starting enemy will likely be attacked by the high elf faction just off the coast. If you're lucky, you might be able to time it just right and nab their capitol with barely a fight.

The main difficulty early on is nabbing your first ritual site, Vaul's Anvil, from Clar Carond, as they might well be bigger than you at that point. But if you're quick about it you might be able to blitz both their regions there quickly and sue for peace immediately afterwards, netting you the entire province easily. Once you're done with that, the world's your oyster. Mazdamundi's ritual site is just a short way to your south and fairly exposed, making it a pretty good target. It's a province capital, so actually getting it can be difficult (bring a Black Ark for fire support), but once you do have it you can just build some wall upgrades in there and it'll be pretty safe without needing much babysitting.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Sep 28, 2017

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Quick warning: When doing a Ritual, the game will apparently pick eligible ritual sites semi-randomly from all cities you own. Imagine my surprise when I started a ritual with the expectation everything would be going down in my secure homeland, only to have one of the ritual sites be the recently-conquered Lothern halfway across the world. Quite a bit of the campaign seems to discourage wide expansion in favour for raiding and diplomacy.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Night10194 posted:

Is Morathi actually good? I kind of want to get in on this crazy crossbow machine gun thing elfs have going.

I've found her to be really good so far. She's got a selection of good spells, Soul Drain and Pit of Shades are the standouts, though the one that lowers enemy armour and weapon damage in an area is a great way to boost your killiness while your melee infantry is still composed of the non-AP Corsairs and Witch Elves. Add to that a flying mount, great unique skills, and the fact that she's actually really quite good in melee, particularly if you skill into it. Not to the point where she can go toe to toe with Tyrion or Kroq'Gar, perhaps, but you can absolutely send her into a unit of mid-tier infantry and expect her to gently caress their poo poo up. I've had her take down Great Eagles and even a Phoenix like it's no big deal. She's a bit squishy with low armour, but with certain skills and the right items you can up her resistances to a pretty high level and debuff enemies to hell.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Third World Reggin posted:

I want to talk about elf bullshit units, in a good way

the amount of upgrades these two jack of all trade units get is just insane
I really like that the second half of the blue line is for rank 7+ units but it really starts to make these two things shine

shades are lesser bullshit since they don't seem as good for a higher cost

I am wondering how the chariots hold up since I never get around to building them

They main advantage of Shades is that they get armour-piercing missiles with huge damage. They're more of a straight upgrade to Darkshards as your primary shooters rather than a true multipurpose unit like the Corsairs or Seaboys. The two-hander version seems pretty redundant, though the dual-wielders are decent for sneaking around the sides to massacre the enemy ranged units before shooting the frontline in the back.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

nopantsjack posted:

how do black arks work?

Each ark is basically a classic horde army, except they can only move on water. So they can only attack other armies that are currently on water, and coastal cities. Their buildings allow them to recruit a pretty solid spread of Dark Elf units, lacking only cavalry and some of the more elite choices like Shades or Executioners. Their big unique thing is that they have a fairly big support radius: Any friendly army in that radius can recruit units directly from the Ark's buildings, and if there are any fights within that radius the Dark Elf player gets three types of bombardment abilities during the fight with three uses each as the Ark giving fire support.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I am more curious which poison you guys pick up for the heroes

like the death hag gets one of these three things
+20 charge, +10 leadership, fear
+3 melee attack, +10% weapon strength
42 seconds of +26 melee attack, +50% weapon damage, rampage

I normally take fear but man do I really want to take that third skill instead at times

The fear one seems a bit redundant, since one of her passives gives her Fear automatically once Murderous Prowess is triggered. And on top of that, just two levels later she gets the Cauldron of Blood as her mount, which has Fear and Terror by default. Sure, you could just opt to not take the mount and have her run on foot for better combat stats, but just look at the drat thing. How could you not take it?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Devorum posted:

I've got serious choice paralysis with the factions in this game. I want to do Lizards, but Mazda isn't doing it for me and Kroq starts in the most boring place on the planet, it seems.

What's up with Dark Elves? Can either of the LLs melee it up?

I did the obligatory Tyrion start, and it's been pretty fun. The ritual stacks suck pretty hard, though.

Can't wait for Mortal Empires so I don't have to deal with the Vortex BS.

Both Malekith and Morathi can become really killy in melee if you spec them that way. Malekith is more of a classic beatstick with more armour, HP, and beefier mount options including a dragon. Morathi is a bit squishier (though she can stack resistances to the point where she's more resilient than you would expect), but she's also ludicrously fast with a great damage output. Generally Malekith seems better suited to getting down and dirty in the frontline melee, while Morathi is better at zipping around and sniping enemy heroes, lords, and ranged units.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Sep 30, 2017

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Just got done with my first campaign, playing as Morathi. Random assorted impressions:

Pros:
-Rituals felt better than the old victory conditions. There was always a relatively immediate goal to go after.
-Quests are so much better. With the ritual currency as a reward they're now actually worth doing, and they seem much more doable without having to hugely go out of your way for them. Morathi's LL questline was also perfectly doable without being a huge pain in the rear end.
-Magic feels way better and more impactful, even the previously sub-par schools like Fire.
-The story was actually pretty decent and well presented, particularly the twist very near the end. I almost felt a little sorry for the sorceress even if she was super bratty all the time
-The final battle, while being pretty easy (at least on Hard), is still a way better way to finish things than before. Combined with having an actual ending cinematic you actually get a sense of escalation and some denouement, rather than being presented with a bland "You win" screen more or less out of nowhere.
-Treasure hunting is a fun and good way to give your armies something to do when you're not currently expanding.
-The AI seemed generally a bit more aggressive and willing to take on even unfavourable battles, particularly the stacks that come at you during rituals.
-Agents seemed way less annoying on the strategic layer. Making lords impossible to be assassinated and adding an immortality skill was a good decision.

Cons:
-The naval game felt way underdeveloped, and if it wasn't for Black Arks I probably wouldn't have engaged with it at all. I'm not asking for playable naval battles because that's a huge can of worms, but there just didn't seem to be much of a reason to try and maintain naval control purely on the strategic layer. In the future it'd be neat to have cheap dedicated naval units/fleets that could raid coastlines and maybe even attack coastal cities.
-The AI seemed a bit too passive when it came to the Ritual race (playing on Hard). They might hit me with an intervention army or two when a Ritual was in progress, but that was about it. Early on I stole Mazdamundi's ritual currency city, and he basically let me have it for the entire game despite having easily sufficient forces around to at least threaten it.
-While I liked the amount of Skaven and Chaos stacks coming at me during Rituals, the way they just popped up out of nowhere was garbage. More often than not they'd spawn right next to a random city of mine and attack it immediately. Sometimes they'd spawn a good distance, with a camera pan showing me where they'd be coming from, which was a way better solution and should be the standard.
-Same deal for intervention forces. Having them be able to pop in and attack you instantly was pretty unfun. They should have to wait a turn after being spawned before being able to attack, giving you an opportunity to react.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

Is there any real reason to push further north than Fallen Gates as Mazdamundi other than maybe to raze Delve settlements entirely? Seems like uninhabitable hell zone land to me.

You can go a little further to Vaul's Anvil for another ritual currency city in a fairly profitable province, I guess. But that's quite an undertaking, you'll have to take out Morathi's capital to get there, and even once you do have it, you'll have to contend with yet more Dark Elves right next to it.

Also, have some unrelated elf_bullshit.jpg:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

cheese posted:

Just started a Morathi campaign on hard. Any tips? Is it possible to play as a raiding faction? Any units stand out? I'm excited by her -50% agent action cost, I plan on using a lot of heroes.

Off the top of my head:
-Your initial enemies to your east are threatened by a high elf colony to their south. After cleaning up your first province, stay at the border and keep a close eye on Bleak Hall. With a bit of luck, those high elves will attack and conquer it, allowing you to swoop in and kill two birds with one stone while they're weakened.
-Getting the Anvil of Vaul can be tricky, since Clar Karond is fairly powerful. What worked for me was to try and wait until their armies are elsewhere, blitz both the Vaul and the Hag Keep as quickly as possible, then sue for peace immediately afterwards.
-Once you've got those two provinces, you can basically do whatever. Mazdamundi's ritual currency site is a tempting target, but you can also drive over to Ulthuan or even the southlands to raise a stink there. You're surrounded on both sides by fellow Dark Elf factions who should generally play nice (especially after completing a ritual or two), so the only real threat to your heartlands is by Mazdamundi to the south if he pushes through the elves there.
-On that note, do try to play nice with the Dark Elf faction immediately to your south. They'll probably be your only trading partner for a long time, since the geography fucks up your trade routes to the north.
-Morathi is surprisingly legit in melee. Don't put her toe to toe with pure melee lords (at least at the beginning), but if you send her into a ranged unit or the flank of a T1 infantry unit she'll clean those out quite nicely.
-Your standard spear- and swordelves are thoroughly mediocre. Try to replace them with Corsairs to make up your main line asap.
-I've had a lot of success with leaning heavily on Witch Elves early on. One of Morathi's spells debuffs enemy armour and damage in an area, which is great for counteracting WE's primary weaknesses.
-Get yourself a Black Ark early on. Pretty much everything around you is within easy bombardment distance, which can be a huge help. They're also great for picking up all those treasures that spawn at sea.
-If you go around raiding people far away from home, consider prioritising Skaven and Human factions as your main victims. The amount of slaves you can get from battles appears to be proportional to the amount of casualties you inflict, so the more individual soldiers they bring the better.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Dongattack posted:

Are any of the upgrades to the Black Arks bombardment abilities particularly good?

I've tried upgrading the Rain of Souls (the one with the large area and several projectiles) and found it to be a bit of a mixed bag. The main downside of the upgrades is that they also increase the cooldown, including the one before you can use them first. At the highest level you can probably only use them once per battle, if that. That said, the damage does increase massively. One time the stars aligned and I was able to drop it on a tight cluster of three swordmasters, and it all but wiped them out from full health in one go. It's just a bit difficult to engineer a situation where half the effect isn't hitting either empty dirt or your own people.

If I were to do it over again, I'd probably pick the middle one (name is about a cauldron?) that has just a single projectile with a medium area of effect. That one is way easier to place, and with some damage buffs it might well be useful to decimate a particular elite unit of your choice.

The one that has no AoE at all doesn't seem to be worth upgrading ever. Like the description suggests, it's mostly good for sniping artillery pieces. One shot of the unupgraded version seems already enough to wreck most of them with a single hit (at least Bolt Throwers), so you really want to keep the shorter cooldown on that to kill them more quickly.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Kainser posted:

Starting to get really tired of the stacks that spawn in when you start a ritual. It would be fine if they only focused on the ritual settlements since you can plan around that but instead you get 6 skaven stacks spawning in a random part of your empire who happily starts razing every single settlement. It's like a really lovely version of the chaos invasion in the first game, at least in that one the stacks didn't come from nowhere.

The incursions feel much better since they actually focus on the ritual settlement it spawns on.

The weird thing is that sometimes the game actually does it right. On the last ritual all the stacks spawned about 3-4 turns' worth of travel away from my borders, and there was a deliberate camera pan that showed me where they'd be coming from. It was tight, but gave me just enough time to redeploy my armies to meet they reached my borders. If it worked like that every time, it would be far less of a hassle. It almost seems like the former version is how it's intended to work all the time, but something just causes the spawning logic to spaz out and dump them anywhere there's space more than half the time.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

JBP posted:

What the gently caress does a black ark do. I filled one with dudes and sent it to sea and they can't get off. It says it has magical powers but it can't attack ports or whatever. What is the function of this piece of poo poo?

See that dashed circle around it? That's its support range. Any other army inside that range can recruit units from the Ark's buildings, have their replenishment boosted, and if there's a combat within that range it gives you three fairly powerful bombardment-type abilities. You can also buy a building that massively boosts money made from winning fights, raiding, and sacking in that radius. The Ark is basically a floating city to support your invasions, its own units are mostly for self-defense or to gently caress up enemy armies on water.

Edit:

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Are there any units missing from the current 4 factions rosters? I know people have mentioned some skaven ranged units missing, but anything for the lizardmen that would help with their crippling weakness against archers?

Dark Elves used to have a few more monsters. IIRC they can also get Manticores, the Kharibdyss (basically an aquatic version of the Hydra with poison instead of fire), and a Medusa whose gaze will cause people to spontaneously exsanguinate. There's also an additional lord/hero type, the Beastmaster, who's all about buffing the hell out of those monsters. Lizardmen had a few more types of small-ish dinosaurs, most notably salamanders and razordons who could shoot fire and spines, respectively.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Oct 1, 2017

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Vargs posted:

I was just thinking "those possible elf units other than the medusa seem lame as poo poo, while the skaven/lizardmen ones are rad" and then you've gotta go ahead and exacerbate the problem.

Hey now, the Scourgerunner Chariot also has the potential to be pretty rad:

See that big old harpoon? That's not just an upscaled crossbow to simply kill stuff, there's actually a cable attached to the harpoon. So when it hits a monster, the chariot will drag it along the ground after itself Mongol-style. That'd be a fun way to get annoying pegasus-riding mages back on the ground. :getin:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

genericnick posted:

Torture elf talk:

Am I using Doombolt wrong or is it really underwhelming?
Do roads in one province stack?
What are you using for late game armies? Earlygame I did all right with Dakshards and Corsairs.

-Doombolt seems best used for fairly squishy single models such as wizards, heroes, or Skaven characters. Against beefier lords and monsters the damage dies seen to be a bit on the low side. That said, having it be pretty much guaranteed to hit can come in very handy in a pinch.

-Roads seem to function on a per-region basis rather than a per-province one for some reason. So they don't stack, since they only affect their own region and don't overlap.

-My high-end armies usually had a melee core of about 8 units of Black Guard and Executioners, with the ratio depending on who they'd fight. Against High Elves and Skaven I'd take relatively more Executioners, against Lizards more Black Guard for the anti-large. Around 4 units of Shades (I used the dual-wield variant, but rarely had them in melee anyhow) and 2 Bolt Throwers make for a powerful ranged contingent. Season with monsters, cav, and characters to taste. Personally I've never managed to get much use out of Cold One (Dread-)Knights, they were usually just too slow and would rampage at the drop of a hat, so I mostly disregarded heavy cavalry and just put in more Hydras and maybe some Dark Riders with repeater crossbows.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

I really don't want naval combat but Rome 1-style combat ships as units would be nice

Yeah, basically just a handful of naval units with relatively low upkeep that operate purely on the strategic layer would be nice. Give them the ability to raid coastal regions for a bit of money/slaves in addition to being able to attack/defend transport fleets with a relatively higher combat value than land units, and then you'd have an actual incentive to having some naval presence. Give each race two or three varieties of ship with trade-offs like combat power vs. raiding income vs. movement range and you'd have a decent amount of depth for a reasonable amount of work.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

orangelex44 posted:

Question: why do the High Elf faction leaders not get fancy mounts? You're telling me that a random noble can end up riding a dragon but that my leader has to stick with a pony?

Tyrion's got some fancypants magic horse that's the incarnation of the perfect elvish horse of legend or something similarly poncy. Teclis is just too much of a weakass nerd. He can barely stay on his feet, trying to ride something heavy or flying would probably just break every bone in his body immediately.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Panfilo posted:

Workshop is up? Can't wait for Radious WH2 edition! With Chaos Slann riding a doomwheel like a giant unicycle spewing lazer barf everywhere!

Clearly, what we need are some Stormvermin Archers and heavily armoured Skink Temple Guard.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Mazz posted:

Changing the rules of combat for boats probably isn't possible, and/or will take a comical amount of work. What I'm talking about is more just adding Rome 1 style boats to sway the auto-calc a bit. Even that might be beyond what's possible since there isn't much to build on besides some existing boats in naval_units they clearly never finished implementing. The black ark is basically the only basis we have for a working ship, and that's actually just a weird horde army with special rules.

I mean someone could theoretically make custom maps like you stated, but implementing them for naval battles is a pretty big stretch from whats there now. I've never touched any of that though so I'm not the best person to ask.

You might be able to get those Rome-style autoresolve ships in there without even having to make them actual naval units. Keep fleets as a Black-Ark style water-only horde. Add in ships just like you would a regular land-borne unit, with relatively high stats to give them a chunky autoresolve power. Then make those units only buildable by a unique building that can be built only on those waterborne fleets/hordes. That might just sidestep the whole "naval" issue by just making a bunch of regular units that by their circumstances just happen to never be in a position to go on land. The main issue I can see is making sure the player can't swap units between those fleets and regular armies.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

ok goons

besides more rats, how do I deal with elf monster bullshit as skaven

2+ units of globadiers can put out a disgusting amount of damage on any dragon or hydra that comes your way.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Funky See Funky Do posted:

What's in Australia in Warhammer?

Dragons.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Nephthys posted:

Yeah, I was bouncing between WH 1 & 2 to compare and it looks like Swordmasters might beat any non-RoR infantry in either game in a 1 on 1 fight. IIRC Hammerers were the only ones I was unsure about.

For all people are saying that HE suck, they have the strongest infantry in the game, the strongest cav, the strongest magic (Teclis + Loremasters are both incredibly good imo), the strongest monster and seaboys. Also I think a Prince on a Star Dragon is only really rivalled by Kroq-Gar in a 1 on 1 fight.

In purely tactical terms, HE units are just fine. However, they're also expensive as balls, low in numbers, and usually still sort of fragile particularly to ranged AP, magic, and artillery. In singleplayer that's often not the biggest deal once you get the ball rolling, but early on and in MP it does count. Seaboys are cool and versatile, but for the cost of two units of those a Dark Elf can bring two Darkshards and a unit of Bleakswords on top of that, which can potentially get quite a lot more work done. A front line of five Swordmasters concentrates a whole lot of punchiness in a small package, but for that cost the Empire could bring an equal number of Greatswords and either two great cannons or three handgunners, which might well come out on top given suitable terrain.

I actually happened to watch a short HE vs. Lizards match recently that illustrated that concept really well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tU45DUIpVk . The Elf brought a massively powerful melee core of phoenix guard and spearmen led by a prince on a dragon. In a straight fight, that force would have blended the lizard line in a hurry hands down. However, the lizards managed to delay the elves and decisively whittle them down with magic and solar engines. Now, the elf player also made a few tactical mistakes, but it did show how against High Elves, each successful artillery shot or spell can count for a whole lot more than it would against most other factions. A solid artillery volley into a unit of Swordmasters can easily cause several hundred gold worth of losses, while against other factions it would often be proportionally quite a bit less severe.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Augh, sometimes the rules on the strategic layer around sieges can be a bit weird. I was playing as Squeek, sieging an enemy Skaven capital with Queek's army and an additional stack right behind him as reinforcements. The capital had a fairly beefy garrison and a full stack sitting inside on top of it, so I wanted to build a set or two of siege towers before having a go at it.

Except after a turn or two, an enemy half-stack comes in from the fog of war and attacks Queek's army. And because he's Skaven too, he gets lucky and somehow manages to ambush Queek's army on the march even though he's been sitting in place for a couple turns. And because it's an ambush, I don't get any reinforcements, but he gets the army in the city and the garrison to help him out. I still almost pulled it off, but the dude had like a thousand Night/Gutter runners on skirmish mode and at this stage in the game I had nothing capable of catching them.

:negative:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

V for Vegas posted:

Has there been any news from CA since release on the Mortal Empires map?

Quite a bit actually, they recently had a few interviews on the topic:
http://www.pcgamer.com/how-total-war-warhammer-2s-free-mortal-empires-campaign-plans-to-glue-both-games-together/
https://www.totalwar.com/blog/mortal-empires-with-ian-roxburgh

Some relevant tidbits:
-Tentative release date is 26.10.2017
-Parts of the map will be squished, rescaled, or even cut, like the southwesternmost parts of Lustria
-Starting locations of TWII lords will be adjusted, putting some of them in close contact with the Old World
-Turn times will be hella long, no way around that.
-Vortex victory condition is disabled. Instead, Old World factions may have conquering New World locations as their new victory conditions.
-Rogue Armies and naval treasure locations will also pop up around the Old World
-All further DLC will apply to Mortal Empires as well
-Old raced won't get any Rites.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Vargs posted:

I'm a little worried that Ratling Gunners will function exactly like Warpfire Throwers, and will continue to be completely outclassed by Globadiers. Gas Rats were by far the most dangerous rats in Vermintide, too.

They should give Ratling Guns flak ammo to completely murderfuck flying units. :getin:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Mordja posted:

Did the Amazons ever even have an army list? From what I understand, most of their popularity stems from Blood Bowl.

Not an official one, though there's a fairly well-made fanmade army book (mildly :nws:) for them that CA could draw upon. Includes fun stuff such as laser gauntlets and staves, panther hunting packs and mounts, giant bipedal bird mounts, and sapient gorilla heavy infantry.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Geisladisk posted:

I'm confused by the motivations of the various factions.

Lizardmen and High Elves want to fix the chaos sinkhole. Great.
Dark Elves want to destroy the chaos sinkhole to fuel a spell of some kind. Ditto for the Skaven.

1) Why are the Lizardmen and High Elves rivals? They want the same thing. Trying to stop each other seems counterproductive.
2) The vortex is kind of important. Everybody is gonna have a bad time if the world is flooded by demons. The Dark Elves have as much of a vested interest in the world not ending as everyone else. Why would they want to destroy the vortex? I can understand the Skaven being short-sighted idiots who totally would destroy the vortex to fuel some crazy ritual, only to cause the world to end around their ears, but the Druchii aren't morons, they're just sadistic and selfish.

Dark Elves don't exactly want to destroy it. Their whole plan is taking the shitload of magic that is flying around in the Vortex and siphoning it straight into Malekith, which would basically make him god king of the world. As for the demons, they probably figure they can either beat or treat with them once they're done, because Elves are nothing if not full of Hubris.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ahaha, I just went to look up Mazda's backstory on 1d4 and this is the entire article:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Comstar posted:

What makes the Ogre Kingdoms interesting? I got then impression the're pretty dumb and will work for anyone who will pay them to eat the enemy.

:colbert:

Seriously, though, they've got a fairly fun bit of backstory. Way way back, Ogres used to roam around the steppes to the east in nomadic tribes, eating whatever animals they found there. Eventually they stumble into Cathai (Warhammer China) and realised that humans are really tasty. There was a bit of war going on and they generally made a nuisance of themselves until the emperor of Cathay decided he had enough of this poo poo and basically nuked them. He pulled a comet down from space right into the Ogre heartlands, instantly killing most of the Ogres alive at that point in time.

The survivors suddenly found themselves filled with a neverending hunger that they just can't sate no matter how much they eat. Some of them travelled to the impact site and found out why: Whatever had crashed into them hadn't just been a comet. The crater of the impact site was ringed with teeth and muscle, and it was seemingly infinitely deep. This is the Great Maw, and has become basically a god and a point of pilgrimage for most Ogres. As a result, their culture now ends up focused almost entirely upon eating. Ogres will hire themselves out as mercenaries in the hopes of getting to eat new and tasty meat. Disputes between Ogres are resolved by ritual combat, after which the winner gets to eat part of the loser (or all of the loser, if it was a fight to the death). Their priests are butchers and cooks, who sometimes consume parts of themselves to boost their magic.

Their thing that sets them apart in the current setting is that they're pretty much a truly neutral faction. They can and do work with pretty much everyone as long as there'll be snacks afterwards. Chaos, humans, elves, even vampires, Ogres will happily fight for (and eat) them. They may even go native, which is how you end up with Ogres who implant bright feathers into their head to look the part next to Imperial Greatswords, or who jam sharpened rocks into their face to look like vampire fangs. Mercenary'ing around the world seems like something that could potentially be turned into a unique campaign mechanic for them somehow.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Panfilo posted:

Gutter Runners have stealth don't they? That would definitely put them ahead of cavalry skirmishers in terms of getting the initiative. And if anything catches them, they get physical resist to offset their virtually nonexistant armor. This is not even getting into the poison version, which will probably trounce all the other skirmisher units by virtue of being able to wear them down, always pursue them, never get caught in melee, etc.

I don't know about Multiplayer, but I know in campaign it isn't hard to get them up to 70+ speed which is hilariously fast for a foot unit.

They also have a constant AoE-debuff to enemy units close to them, which makes that even better. Even relatively fast light cav like Dark Riders or Ellyrian Reavers will take ages to actually catch up with them, and will be bombarded by their projectiles all the while. And since Gutter Runners are actually pretty legit in melee, they'll often quite handily beat up whatever's left of that cav once they do catch up.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I think they mentioned that they plan to add in new starting locations for the old factions in the new world, just not right away. Might be they're looking to go about it by "promoting" some of the minor factions like the Crusaders or Vampire Coast, or maybe through new LLs for the existing factions.

Is it just me, or have they messed around with the geography around Morathi's start? The deep gulf that cuts off the territories to the east seems to be missing, so perhaps this time she'll actually be able to trade with people?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Kestral posted:

Thoughts on War Hydras versus Black Dragons for Dark Elf monster support?

I've been ignoring these things in the campaign so far, but it's about time to invade Ulthuan or go punch a dinosaur, and I'd like to start throwing in some monsters. What are the use-cases for these things? The stats on the dragon seem objectively better, but I've seen mention here and there for hydras being "the perfect monster" without much explanation as to why.

The dragon has some more offensive impact, but the Hydra has quite a bit more staying power. It's got more HP, and absolutely ludicrous regeneration. Those two combined can give it about twice the longevity as the dragon. Also, situationally the Hydra's breath can have more impact, since its flatter trajectory from the ground can let it burn through several units at once. Of course with the flip side that it's more difficult to disengage and properly position it to actually get the breath off in the first place.

Basically, take both. The dragon is great for diving in and killing priority targets very quickly. The Hydra is more for just slamming right into the enemy front line and loving poo poo up all day long without pause.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 22, 2017

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Early firearms also had the issue that every now and then, they might just engulf the user in a big old fireball if they're careless or unlucky. Now, for a human that's an acceptable trade-off, and a dwarf will just shrug it off, but for an elf that obviously just will not do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Honestly morathi’s spells are pretty poo poo. In my campaign I used her for the blue line and then as a hybrid melee/spellcaster. Cast a big aoe rebuff then charge in and start smashing face

I dunno, I've found Soulblight (reduces enemy armour and weapon damage in an area) super useful fo drastically increasing the longevity and effect of Witch Elves in particular. Pit of Shades and Soul Stealer are pretty decent, too. Mystifying Miasma is eh, but if nothing else it's a cheap way to get some damage in, and every now and then that speed reduction can make a difference.