Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
If by removing the phoenix he got rid of a unit that gave him siege attacker he objectively hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I have to question the OP regarding toggling "run." IIRC the penalties to fatigue at battle start are inconsequential to move in position at a run. You'd only use walk if you need to regain stamina.

It can still add up. IIRC the final stage of exhaustion is way more severe than the previous step, so if you reach it before the enemy it could tip the balance in the melee.

Carcer fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Sep 27, 2017

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Mans posted:

Goons be like "The AI is retarded and barely a challenge" in one post and immediately after go "I don't care about MP".

If you want Human like inteligence from your opponent then that's exactly why there's multiplayer.

To be fair I have certainly encountered people who were worse than the AI at this game. In shogun 2 60% of my wins were people ignoring the extremely obvious group of yari cavalry flanking them while simultaneously leaving their general completely unprotected.

Carcer fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 27, 2017

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Nanomashoes posted:

Sounds like we already have human level battle AI then.

I'd agree, except the AI at least makes a token effort to intercept with spearmen or cavalry or something.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Skaven food tip: You can raid ruined provinces and still get the +3 food. Just raze a province somewhere defendable and drop as many lords with slaves as desired.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Yvonmukluk posted:

Like, I got the impression that a lot of The End Times was basically GW calling a mulligan on Storm of Chaos only without the pesky players having any say this time around.

It was GW throwing a giant tantrum because their favorite side didn't win in storm of chaos. From what I remember it stemmed from GW spitting all the factions up into Order or Destruction teams (With a few wildcards, like ogres.) and assuming orc players would happily be subservient to chaos and writing the initial fluff as such.

Orc players were not happy and en masse reported their victories for Order. This resulted in an overwhelming landslide victory for Order and GW grudgingly accepted the result, having learned in an earlier meta-campaign* not to ignore the results they got from players.

(*The earlier campaign had, by battle results, the empire holding chaos at some insignificant town waaaaay longer than expected. In the final writeup GW ignored this and said that chaos overran the town in like an hour, this enraged both sides of the campaign who rightfully felt that GW had just written up a thing beforehand how they thought the campaign would go and essentially ignored all the reported battles.)

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Didn't estalia, tilea and middenhiem have unique temple buildings in TW:W1? I wouldn't read too much into it.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Did you listen to your stupid subordinates telling you that maybe you should start doing your job again. I have no idea if this messes it up. But I did not feel like risking it.

I did that and the quest continued as normal.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

If any ritual(not just the final one) that the ai is doing gets disrupted will they try it again? I hosed up tyrions third ritual and now it seems like he got all depressed and won't restart it.

They do. An intervention army of mine stopped a lizardmen ritual and something like 10 or 15 turns later they restarted it.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Are you really calling people that disagree with you about this nazis?

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
It knows you're trying to cheat and is saving you from yourself.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Flying mounts for casters are still great so that you can cast spells from outside the safety of your lines and not worry about getting mauled by cav or fast monsters. They can also be really useful for providing rear charges if you need just a little extra push to break an enemy unit but don't have anything else that can flank quickly.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
From what I remember Teclis taught humans magic and has played a big part in helping them whenever chaos starts causing poo poo. I'm sure he's occasionally a dick (He is an elf, after all) but he is one of the more influential good guys.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I think it caps out at 80%.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
An important and unexplained thing with power of darkness is that you don't have to target the caster, you can targe any friendly unit within range. I often use it on an accompanying caster hero who shouldn't be fighting in the first place.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Also gutter runners are not that bad in melee.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
The range to detect was incredibly short and it applied to Durthu. I managed to use him to ambush an empire army and he slaughtered them nearly unscathed.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Higher level walls do get better towers which can be ruinous even if you're running straight for the walls.

If you're playing empire though theres no reason not to bring a cannon or two and just blow the tower up.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
This will delay Norsca by another 3 months.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Senor Dog posted:

I paid 18 dollars for all the Ushabti I want. ebay tells me it's 150 for 3 of them for tabletop???

That must be wrong. It'll be 150 for 2 and the optimal unit sizes will be 3 or 6.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
In campaign cannons are also your best tower and wall busting units in sieges. If you want to sit back and let your other ranged/artillery work over the defenders you bring cannons to remove towers and eventually punch holes in walls to let your infantry through.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
When/how/why did beastmen hire tilean mercs?

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
That just makes logical sense. The rats are catching mans, hence they have mancatchers.

The men are catching rats, hence they need repeater rifles and ideally a dwarven flamethrower.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Thats partially the elves, high and dark. Inscrutable court politics where failure gets you either banished out of the court and away from the fun or gets you murdered.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Note that they fire those as gigantic shotguns. And will then charge you and beat you to death.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
The counter point is that mounted lords can probably just go gently caress up whatever is shooting him, something even an unengaged foot lord will have trouble doing.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I'm still stuck on preallocating.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Panfilo posted:

Since archers arc their shots, there's no need to do this. I just keep them behind a melee unit. For gunpowder units, there's definitely more finesse involved obviously.

I don't like to leave missile units exposed because you risk them getting slammed by light cavalry or sneaky stealth units.

The AI also tends to shoot at the nearest units it encounters, and aside from dwarf and elf missile units most others will be pretty hurt by missile fire themselves. Ideally you want your shielded, tanky and high leadership units to be absorbing missile fire.

Agaisnt the AI it isn't really necessary, but against other players it can be. Putting you archers in front of your line lets you get a few volleys off against an enemy that isn't doing it and be a game changer in an otherwise tight game.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
You have on demand pause, use it.

Unless you're playing on legendary but at that point if you're having trouble with battle speed you're just a masochist.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Yeah you've got to pick and choose your engagements with chariots. Archers, artillery and very light infantry are the easiest targets since you can more or less run them over then just slaughter whatever remains.

With heavier infantry the trick is to either hit them from the sides/rear while they're moving and then get the gently caress out immediately, or rear charge them while they're fighting and try to push through your own troops and loop around to do it again.

Chariots do pretty good damage on the charge, but a lot of their utility comes from being fast and the insane amount of disruption they do to infantry that isn't braced. The archer chariots have the advantage that the enemy can't just dedicate an infantry unit to screen out your chariots since they can still cause damage even if they can't charge.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
You also need to watch they haven't been assigned to attack something strange like enemy skirmishers or cavalry that'll just run away and drag your infantry to hell and gone before you notice they're missing.

Nothing better than looking up from a close brawl to find anything you can to tip the balance and see half your army in a corner of the map because they targeted chameleon skinks 5 minutes ago when your ordered the mass charge and didn't notice.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Have it be a different tomb king who is actually ok with it and is now just leading a brettonian army around.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Look at it this way, unless you're willing to combine what's left of your shattered army together and then recruit new units to make up whatever you lost (Which costs lots of time AND money) you're going to have to wait around for them to heal.

Early game replenishment is often somewhere around 5% to 10%, so losing 5% of that means you're either not replenishing until you get into a city or you're wasting twice as many turns doing nothing.

Even later on 5% can represent 1 less turn wasted, so when the poo poo hits the fan a turn less of healing can be the difference between breaking a sieging chaos stack and losing a lynchpin city.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

The port nerf is really killing my desire to play because it just seems so arbitrary and stupid. I think I'll mod it but I hate using mods my friends wont use if we do MP...

Tell your friends to stop being morons. Its not like they're hard to install or activate or whatever.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Xan posted:

Maybe I don't need to buff ports to win against the lovely AI?

It was more directed to his friends not wanting to use mods at all. You do you with the ports, though.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Xan posted:

I am that friend. This is for a head to head campaign. It's not a question of the difficulty in installing a mod. It's that I don't agree in one modder's opinion in what's balanced.

Like, what's the massive balance upset about making ports not total dogshit? It'd just facilitate you guys getting to the fun units a bit quicker.

But at the same time OP obviously thinks the ports should be unnerfed, why is your opinion about this more important than your friends?

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Whats going on when the AI makes these single unit doom stacks? Is something broken or is there no sanity checking and the AI is just recruiting whatever it thinks is most efficient?

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
It worked by literally just having the duelling lords stand around slapping each other until one fell over. You could use skills during the fight to do some damage or become resistant to damage from what I remember but largely all it meant was that if your lord was built for duels you curbstomp the enemy as a matter of course and if you weren't you did everything in your power to stay away from the enemy lord.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Blooming Brilliant posted:

I thought I was doing well in my Legendary ME Nakai campaign.

Until my AI Defenders army sailed to Naggarond for some reason I can't fathom (I wasn't at war with them and neither were the Defenders), let Malekith know we existed, and now my stable Norsca base is being overran by Dark Elf doom stacks :(

Just keep pushing forward, as long as you're replacing what was lost then it doesn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I think the general consensus is that if you're new to warhammer then start with warhammer 2 because of the quality of life improvements over 1, though some people don't like the main campaigns of 2 as much as 1. At least try all the factions out before you think about DLC.

When you do start thinking about DLC there are 2 types, Faction packs that give you a whole new faction to play with and Lord packs that give 2 lords and some new units to existing factions.

On that note the factions to which you don't own the DLC will still be in game and on the map, you just can't play as them. For the units from the lord packs I'm not sure if th AI has access to them and you don't or what the situation there really is.