Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
DElves beat VC. An impressive match, a cool list from TGK, worth a watch if you get a chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I like being Tyranids, and Vampire Counts. I haven’t paid attention to 40k computer games recently, and there any where I can play as nids, apart from dawn of war ii?

I finally buckled and got TW:WII a week or so ago. It’s hilarious playing Lizardmen after playing VC for so long, I fought 4000 skaven with an army of 700 and won mostly because saurus with shields last a long time and a single stegadon does a lot of work. I kept expecting to look over at my weak flank and see it destroyed, but they’re a lot tougher than zombies.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
If you want a game where you command an army of Apes, have I got a game for you! :unsmigghh:

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
They're fat in the same way those dudes who power lift 800 lbs are fat. They're gigantic and their bellies are huge, but it's 100% because they walk around carrying cauldrons and gnoblars and poo poo.

The only two army books I bought for WFB back when I was in college were Vampire Counts and Ogre Kingdoms. They're the two best factions and I'm so hopeful Ogres are added and fun.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
It took me about twice the time a download that size would normally, FYI.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Ardent Communist posted:

My download seems stalled. I've tried pausing it and restarting it in Steam, but it's stuck at 80%, and although disk usage is hanging around 4 mb/s, it doesn't seem to be increasing anything. Anyone have a suggestion or something to get it back working?

Leave it running for an hour or two if need-be. Mine looked like that for~35 minutes of a 55 minute download.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Moochewmoo posted:

Hey what's a good hero to just start with? Tirion? I'm completely now to total war it's like drip feeding kinda unhelpful tutorials. Like I get how mechanics work, but when I sent my army after some dark elves, they retreated away, it looked like I was in the dark yellow range to engage but couldn't. Next turn they ran into their city and some other friendly dudes sprinted into the settle behind me I pushed them back from and took it from me. Am I just screwed?

I tried playing as the frog man but chaos guys just made and entire 16 stack army of horse archers and kitted my spear men all battle. This is really frustrating and I just want to enjoy the game but it's making it very hard. Are there any like good getting started tips?

To answer your question about the dark yellow range, that’s the distance your army could move if you chose to switch to march stance. Stances are in the lower left next to the Lords portrait, and managing them is very important. Please note: march stance prohibits you from attacking an army, makes your army very tired in battle, and if you get attacked you cannot retreat & losing will destroy them.
When an army is attacked the first time since its last turn it may retreat a few paces, provided there’s space and it’s not marching or the retreat would put it into the ring of influence of another army.

The way I got better was I picked a lord and did their first 10 or so turns. Inevitibly I said “I should’ve done this and this.” So I’d restart and do it again. I did this as Vampire Counts because this was before II came out, and it was good because raise dead gives you so much quick army growth. I don’t think I recommend doing that, to normal people, but if you aren’t going to get frustrated or bored it’s good.

I will say that I picked Kroq’Gar for my first TWWHII game and it was good because winning as 700 against 4000 skaven very early is super fun. Also, saurus warriors and spears are much better with shields.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I've had a great deal of success with treasure hunting by switching to the dig stance when the lord hasn't moved at all. This may be luck, or it may be useful to others.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Dramicus posted:

I think I've caused some kind of cascade event in Ulthuan. I spent a lot of time there setting up coves in each city and generally causing havoc. Now most of the island is at 60% vampiric corruption and Tyrion is running around trying to kill off undead armies that keep spawning. And it's all making me rich as hell. I'm going to head to the old world and just gently caress up the entire coast there too.

I'm missing something, how does it generate plunder for you when there's vampire uprisings? I'm guessing there's a line hidden somewhere that I missed saying something about uprisings caused by the corruption cove give all plunder to you?

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Yes, though I'm only reasonably sure of this because you can get the trait that boosts sack income when you establish a pirate cove.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I’ve dug up a few more treasures & I think lords check a radius around them based on their amount of movement consumed, but hero units must be close to the physical feature? That’s probably false, it probably just checks is you’re in the right province, and vaguely close. I just move my unit over by where the map zooms to, then re-zoom the map and read the clue, it usually centers on the pool of water or runic circle or whatever.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Re: deck gunners

I’m running 6 handgunners and they took down the star dragon from the second sea shanty verse fight before it could hit the line. Later, I did the norsca fight with 3 feral mammoths and a giant, each took ~2 volleys to delete. Are deck gunners really better than that? They certainly seem good, but I’m thinking they’re only worth it for shield breaker against stuff like lothern sea guard.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Amuys posted:

Is there any particular reason why the zombie handgunners tend to have much lower model kills despite doing relatively high amounts of hp damage?

They're probably doing a lot of damage spread out across the unit they're shooting at. The solution, as with most problems the VC have, is to get more handgunners. I did the final fight for Aranessa with ~6 polearms deckhands, ~6 handgunners, ~5 prometheans with handgunners, Queen Bess, and Aranessa and a vampire lore caster + the reinforcements, without losing any of my actual units. Chevrons on handgunners are especially useful because they increase accuracy, which is a massive improvement for an inaccurate high model count unit.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
My final army composition as Aranessa was something like:

1 Aranessa Saltspite
1 Vampire Captain (Vampires)
5-6 zombie polearms
6 zombie handgunners
4 rotting prometheans (later gunnery prometheans)
1 Queen Bess
1-2 Mortars

Against AI, the ability to Bess their good infantry is all you need. Monsters try to flank and tear up your handgunners, but since they don't run, the other handgunners can just turn and shoot them, a single volley will break a dragon, two will just about kill it. Your front line isn't there to kill anything, so it just sits there, with bonus melee defense over the standard zombie pirate deckhand mobs, and doesn't go away. Your prometheans anchor your sides, and protect your backline because they have enough mass to stop a dragon from killing your arty crews while your handgunners re-position to kill it. Mortars with chevrons are very good because of the +aim conferred by experience, but I don't blame people for not fussing with them.

My hardest fights with this composition were flat maps where the opposing army had a very very wide front line. I greased the final fight without losing any whole units. You definitely want to ensure you're not losing too many handgunners early because chevrons mean a lot for them.

e:

Vargs posted:

Polearms seem pretty strictly more useful than the regular versions. I greatly disagree that they are obsoleted by Depth Guard. Zombies are much better for holding up a bunch of enemies while your damage units do the killing, and you don't have to care at all if they catch arrows or get wiped out completely. A fantastic front line. Polearm Depth Guard are pretty poor at this and work much better as a specialized unit to hang back and cut up enemy cavalry/monsters that have engaged with your other units. Even this role I find dubious since handgunners will do the same thing quicker and cheaper.

This is 100% true.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

litany of gulps posted:

I don't know if you noticed, but pretty much every race in this game is a cliche version of itself. The idea of crying about how the main human faction is a little too historically human is comical. You might as well whine about how you wished the dwarves were a little faster and had some variety beyond the guns and fire and armor.

Seriously, look at what you just moaned about. What in the world. Jeez, I wish these elves didn't just have bows and run fast. This is wayyyy tooo elvish for me. What were these game designers thinking?! And why do these rat men eat cheese? I Just Don't Get It!

sure, yeah. The factions in WH were made as parody, and a lot of what gave norsca character was CA fleshing out the roster with interesting ideas.

quote:

Germans? With moustaches? No thanks! This game is just way too white for me to play. At least these dinosaur riding lizardmen are diverse enough to not trigger my delicate sensibilities!

Piss off and don’t come back.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I’m telling you guys, 7 handgunners, 7 polezombies, your lord, another caster, queen bess, and some rotting prometheans. 7 handgunners will melt anything. I played VC a lot so switching to a faction with ranged weapons was a huge change but VC are really fun & strong. It rules to have your backline getting hit by cavalry archers and just turn them around to return fire till the morale of your opponents breaks, then go right back to shooting into the mosh pit in the front.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Vargs posted:

VSea stacks that are 50+% handgunners are a ton of fun until you need to siege some walls.

Because zombies are considered low power, I never had this issue. Opponents regularly sallied forth with their garrison+nearly full stack and were promptly annihilated. I also never cared to acquire additional land, so I ended the game with just Sartosa and a bunch of pirate coves.

re:gunnery wight
I never needed one, but I can see why folks would feel more comfortable with it. Bess would run dry at the end of most battles, but it was kinda w/e.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Well, that's two in a row, so here's an attempt at Vampire Counts:

Use Raise Dead to get a full stack early-game. Get into a Horde mentality and don't be afraid to combine damaged units after a battle, and then restock using Raise Dead.

Your early melee units are terrible but tarpit extremely well. Tie down enemies then use your early game MVP's Handgunsyour leader and their special starting units to destroy the enemy. Gunnery MobsMasses of troops can work as a substitute but aren't as good as Handgunsyour Lord and a small number of elite troops.

The strength of VC is that early game they can add ~4 more unit cards per turn to their armies than normal factions can, and late game they can field an entire extra army of chaff solely to wear down their enemies. If you're not playing as Kemmler, you'll want to solidify two entire provinces and build them up as tall as you can, forming your army into Grave Guard, a few skeleton spearmen, and whatever heavy hitters you like. A unit or two of dogs are good, but you have to be very patient with them, they're for hitting archers after your frontline is engaged. I like, in my primary army, my lord and a shadows caster, a wide front line, ~8 grave guard and 2 GG with great weapons, four skeleton spearmen, and four Varghulfs. That may sound odd, but grave guard are strong enough to hold the line against anything so long as they aren't fighting 1v3, and Varghulfs are powerhouses capable of smashing flanks and routing backlines. I don't even bother to be sneaky with Varghulfs, just send all four around a flank and watch as their charge kills anything human sized and then work them along the line. Heroes and Lords can take a bit to kill, but shadows casters are good at locking them down and a pair of vampires will beat most any lord that isn't dragon mounted with ease.

This is mostly academic because the truth is that early game you tarpit the enemy and then use your 3 actually powerful units to kill their good stuff while zombies take most of the damage, and late-game you send a force of 19 zombies to fight them first, then grave guard mop up the exhausted units when you cast Vanhels Danse Macabre in an AOE. Even in late game, a hard battle where you trade 2-for-1 with Archaon and end up with 4 models left is really not much of a setback.

e: if you are playing as kemmler, sit on your thumbs and research the free skeletons upkeep, recruit 4 more lords, and kill everything. You're basically roleplaying a DND party comprised entirely of necromancers, but nobody can beat 10K skeletons.

Chakan fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Dec 21, 2018

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

The Duggler posted:

Barrow Legion is fun but I think next time I play I will be a lot more aggressive to start. Brets aren't very intimidating at the beginning but once their garrisons build up they are actually not so fun to fight even with 60 skeletons.

why only 60? I would suggest going up to 95, or 114.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Doopliss posted:

Huh. After playing Empire, I sort of assumed that mortars were throwaway units. Thanks!

When every other unit is expendable, unbreakable bags of HP, mortars are very good. A single group of deckhands can hold 2-3 infantry blobs in place, allowing your mortars to demolish them quickly. Chevrons are very good for artillery as well, greatly increasing their accuracy. You might only completely demolish 1-2 groups before the lines meet, but after that they're so accurate they will kill 30+ in a single volley.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

kidkissinger posted:

so what's the counter then? Light cav?

a second full stack with 1 necromancer lord and 19 skeleton warriors. Oh, in MP? go wide with shields.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I’m confused as to why you’d stack zombies instead of skeleton warriors as kemmler? They cost the same upkeep (0) and skeleton warriors have shields + better melee attack. Seems better against wood elves.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Happy page 666 to Chaos, Beastmen, and Dark Elves ONLY!

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Is the bug where -% chance to assassinate rolls over to 100% fixed? If no, that’s a pretty good reason to run with that mod.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Looks like I'll have to give SFO a try.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
About two weeks ago I started a beastmen campaign (VH/N) and it has been quite a trip. I decided to raid and raze my way up to Altdorf so I could work on getting Khazrak Scourge and hopefully break Franz's back because the VC were doing well against him. By turn 40 I had sacked Altdorf itself 4 times and Manfred had control of it, so I felt confident leaving to destroy Courrone, who had control of their whole area save Blackstone and the WE forests. Once I methodically raze everything there and ensure that either Kimmler or the dark elves (twice in two campaigns they've managed to land near Courrone itself and are powers #1 and #2) take the settlements before moving on. Upon demolishing everything of theirs I can see I find out that they're holed up in a single province down in the Sahara, which is going to be a pain so I leave them be and plot for how best to get rid of Reikland.

Since I last looked, the VC are losing the war with Karl Franz and Karaz-A-Karak, so I resign myself to going very slow and staying as a deathball. It takes me about 100 turns of sacking and slowly moving through to destroy everything. Of course, once Chaos is defeated, the wood elves start sending 4 armies at me every three turns and I have to pick them off in 4v1 or 4v2 situations because it takes me too long to recover if I do an even fight. All of my lords have the traits for defeating each of the LLs for Reikland, along with Orion and Durthu. At around turn 215 I clear out the last Reikland settlement and start raiding south, to find that K-A-K has control of basically everything. The whole of the badlands, most of the north (mysteriously everything not owned by them is ruins, poor blue vipers has ~8-9 settlements at one point up there) half of the Reikland, they're considered so strongthe power bar has no yellow. So I make it all the way down to the desert of Arabay and right as I get in sight of Courrone they are destroyed by Cult of Pleasure.

It takes me a minute to figure out why I can't trigger the last fight, there's two Reikland provinces back just north of the border princes. Dutifully, I snort and gnash my teeth, then set out back to finally finish this, smashing the three pursuing wood elf armies in rage. When I return around turn 250 I quickly demolish the two settlements and scream with rage at the cruelty that has befallen me. Reikland had managed to also sneak up into the skaven-infested north and taken a few settlements up there. Instead of wasting my time, I figure I'd reload from an earlier save and stamp out reikland if it comes back, allowing Morathi to kill off the final Courrone settlement in the south.

Like clockwork, a few turns later Karl and Co. come back and are immediately destroyed. So I wait, and wait, and wait, Courrone is not destroyed this time by the dark elves. I give up and trek down to finish them off, right as they go up to three settlements. Unfortunately, the great plan apparently involves Courrone surviving because as soon as I step foot in Arabay I am war dec'd by Lizardmen. I make it to the settlements and raze two, but four wood elf armies and five lizardmen armies stand between me and the final one. I drew a bloody victory over the wood elves, but when I tried yesterday to fight the Lizardmen, they had too many dinos (~18) and my reinforcing giants trickle in from a very bad side of the map. I'm going to do things a little differently and win the fight today, or lick my wounds so my great weapon minotaurs are back to full models and just carve them up, but jesus is it tough.

Beastmen have an ok roster, but they have no armor before bestigors and don't have anything like the Waaagh! to make it all work. Also their giants are absolute rear end against most everything. 40 armor and miserable speed makes them such a pain to use sometimes.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

McGavin posted:

All Giants Are Bad.

They really are. The stagger animation is painfully slow, but they also fall over and that animation is so long it feels like two cannon units could almost completely stunlock a giant.

I beat the beastmen short campaign, after managing to pull apart the lizardman armies and smash them, though the one with 9 rank 7 feral carnosaurs had terrible autoresovle odds, even with 4 armies. The final fight is a joke, especially if you know there will be a reinforcement wave that comes from the west with a pair of rockets. Massed minotaurs just bowl through anything approaching a reasonable fight, so almost all of mine were great weapons for the bonus vs large. The brayherd allies actually did well enough on normal to take out the Brettonian starting forces on their own, save the trebuchet that was splintered by The Eye of Morrslieb.

Thoughts on Beastmen:
-Their magic is good. Wild and Death in particular are, as always, workhorse lores but that doesn't preclude the others from being very strong. This is marred by the fact that casters are pretty limited and there's an event that just wounds them randomly. It sucks to just lose your caster for a while right as you're starting a big push.
-Gorebulls are just huge minotaurs and therefore rule. They krump with the best of them, but they're not super exciting apart from that. Coming from Vampires, all heroes feel lackluster so take this with a grain of salt.
-Building up new armies takes way too long. Even having a dedicated horde for each of a few building trees means you're stuck shuffling around units if you lose some in a fight.
-The Brayherd meter feels like it's punishing you for not doing anything when it drops low, but there's no timer and you can avoid the attrition by raiding so don't be afraid to sit still for 3-4 turns if need-be.
-The conditions to wipe out certain factions suck. I get it, but it's just tedious after a while. Though it is nice to have a capstone fight at the end of the campaign as a sort of send-off.
-Their money is messed up. All their buildings cost too much. Early game you'll sack a city and realize you can either grow one of your hordes or survive 5-6 turns off it, but you'll need to plan another sack, it can be fun right up until it's just added stress. Late game you'll have 200K favor and will be running a 3K/turn deficit, which means nothing costs anything and you can do whatever you want.
-Just wait for whatever changes they make to beastmen, everyone said they weren't fun and apart from some really good battles where I was a forest insurgency fighting a professional army much larger than mine, they were right.

The Units:
-In the early game you're just better off running ungors and working towards the -50% upkeep building. You start with two hordes and since all ungors have stalk you can punch way above your weight class by using 10-15 ungor raiders to pull apart enemy forces and just make sure you've got spearmen available to brace for a cavalry charge. I started as Khazrak and just decided to not really have a front line till I got to Bestigors, which hit like a truck, have 100 armor, and don't route if they're fighting with allies near.
-Gors with or without shields are a big bump up in terms of effectiveness but they mean pesky things like "having a front line" that can get you routed by some enemies. Shieldless Gors are very killy against lightly armored troops and will slaughter on the charge, but will get mulched in return once the charge bonus has worn off.
-Ungor raiders are fantastic, till every enemy starts to have a lot of armor. Their AP values are bad and they have no morale so they crumple if anything gets to them but 2 of them will break most anything as it chases down a third. Ungors are also good because they have high speed, especially once you research the +speed tech they're half again as fast as humans.
-Minotaurs are brutes and one unit will break a line almost as fast as a dragon, two will crumple all but the hardiest man-sized customers almost immediately. Your goal in all fights before late-game is to distract the main force and smash 20% of their army with 50% of yours so minotaurs are amazing at carving up engaged humans and then chasing them (62 speed!) to get the shatter, allowing you to move on.
-Centaurs have two different niches and a unit that's basically light cav but comes too late to be of use. Great Weapon and Throwing Axe centigors are AP damage with a decent number of models, GW centigors will demolish demigryph knights and similar enemies, while throwing axes are the best AP ranged option. Regular centigors are fine, they have mass and a solid charge but they're not really worth it to me.
- Chaos Warhounds and Spawn. They're fine, I guess. Warhounds are just dogs so they do dog things, giving them poison is a solid upgrade. I didn't build any spawn, but the few units I controlled from brayherds were fine enough. They're still a little flimsy to missiles for my taste.
-Razorgors & their chariots: the pigs are tough and hit hard but I could never find a place for them in my armies. They come earlier than centigors I think so they could fill that niche I guess? Chariots are too much micro for a faction that requires a huge amount of micro to get the most out of your units. Once I had my lords on chariots that was enough for me so I never built them, but they have the stat lines that if you have good micro they could be worth it.
-Harpies and Feral Manticore just don't feel worth it. They're not terrible units but the primary use of harpies is to make flank charges easier which isn't a big deal because your army is so fast & feral manticores will rampage at the worst time, losing you a unit that you needed to not lose.
-Cygors are good, especially because they give you another avenue to maipulate the opponent. All artillery benefits greatly from chevrons and this is especially true of cygors. Hurling a boulder two football fields away only to see it smash next to a unit is very frustrating. They're slightly squishy giants in combat, so don't be afraid to use them to smash people and push a line once they've run out of rocks.
-Giants are for autoresolve in late game. Don't build them otherwise and don't be surprised if you lose some every time you have to do a manual fight. Go 19 giants in an army if you're gonna include any.

All of this is single player of course. In MP I understand you just rely on the fact that you can take Malagor and summon two cygors to hopefully win. Though all their units have a place in MP from what I've seen.

Thanks for indulging me, this is mostly to justify spending 265 turns beating this campaign.

e: Thanks, I'm in the discord, but I got blinders to finish this campaign. Haven't done MP in earnest since RTW so maybe I'll ask some people for a few games.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

albany academy posted:

Beastmen should just have one primary horde building that's stupid expensive to upgrade but gives them all recruitment from its tier, instead of dedicated recruitment buildings. Make the other building options stuff like more heroes, army buffs, callin skills. Insane that a beastman lord is going "hmmm, we really need some gors to help bolster the line" rather than just be some organic snowball effect.

This would help a lot, but it's also that their "settlement" building is garbage. It gives + horde growth and + recruitment capacity, some levels you even get both!

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
The loading screen I got today was about the warpgates and herdstones that result from when chaos and beastmen raze cities, specifically that they eventually cease to produce chaos corruption after a while. I didn’t know that and it feels counterintuitive.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Who you're playing as, and what seems fun. The best example of a faction that does all three is VC, and they're kind enough to have pretty distinct roles for Cav vs Monstrous Vs Single Models. Blood Knights smash flanks very well, if you get a rear charge with them then it doesn't matter that the opponent was winning against zombies, they'll quickly flee or get trampled. Crypt Horrors are just like trolls, they have good mass and will lay a savage beating on any large size enemy, augmented by the fact that they have innate poison which allows them to trade even more effectively than most. Varghulfs will anchor a line and smash most anything with their high AP values, just beware letting them fight without allies nearby as their low leadership is a bigger deal than it seems. Regen + terror means that a varghulf surviving to late in the fight is backbreaking for most armies in MP.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Age of Sigmar also didn't have a real framework for competitive upon release. The idea was "you'll put your squad or two of models on the table and your opponent will do the same then you'll talk over having a roughly even match." I understand that's since changed. But it seemed pretty clear to me that the goals for AoS initially were to sell the $120 kit of a named character and a few kits to give them a squad to work with, along with making Space Marine players take a look at the game because you could almost kitbash to the new faction with extra sprues you had lying around.

in TWW news, I'm deeply upset that the beastmen are so fun to play now because my achievement for winning on VH/L with them is being devalued, lol.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
:tinfoil:
https://www.pcgamesn.com/civilization-vi/strategy-game-endgame-design

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
The last time I ran an Isabella campaign, the winds of magic broke in her (19 hero) army and the only way I could get magic regen was to pop arcane conduit. It was annoying, but unsurprisingly you can beat even the toughest 80-stack with 20 vampires.

I was also wondering if there's a bug with gambling for winds at the start of a battle. It doesn't seem to go up when I win, but still goes down when I lose. It's been this way every time I've checked for the past year+ so I doubt it's just luck, but I don't know.

e: VV no mods, but maybe I just haven't been gambling since coming back recently. Good to know that it was a thing though, I'll test it out.

Chakan fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jul 30, 2021

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Against AI with anything less than dragons a gunline-based army should be able to do exceptionally. My final army as Aranessa was something like 8 handgunners, 6 polearm zombies, 2 mortars, 2 gun crabs, vampire hero , Aranessa. Proper formation is very important with guns, bulding your front line so that once it’s engaged your gunners are able to still fire is vital. Also the secret is that any large models will get shredded by a single volley from 4-5 handgunner mobs, which means that a dragon lands somewhere and gets killed before it starts to really tear apart the chosen mob.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
It is really funny that the new beastmen mechanics meant that I was regularly defending the same two settlements with the same 20 unit garrison against effectively the same dark elf army every ~6-8 turns once I started to smash up the donut. Four giants will almost beat any 30 cards the dark elf AI brings, alone. If not, then my (increasingly chevron’d) bestigors and misc others would just pile in to occupy the infantry while the giants smashed the hydra du jour.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Charlz Guybon posted:

Well, in the late medieval to early modern period, melee infantry all used pike, halberd, poleaxe or bill. None of those can be used with a shield, despite longbows, crossbows and then muskets being major battlefield arms. So why was that the case?

This is because arrows couldn't pierce most any armor if shot in an arc, crossbow bolts can't be fired in an arc at all, and firearms took an entire minute to reload. So, until firearms and their tactics advance enough to obviate armor, professional forces would fight using the heaviest armor they could afford & the longest, heaviest polearm. A while ago someone here linked to a blog on the mathematics of whether an arrow shot in an arc stood any chance of injuring a person wearing anything more than everyday cloth.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Yeah, waiting out sieges is kinda funny because it takes too long for attrition to kick in and too long for it to kill the army. A slow ramp up of attrition after a turn of siege would probably be better, but it feels like attrition hasn't hardly changed since I started playing in RTW, so maybe it's a mechanic they're happy with.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Sasgrillo posted:

Not well at all, yes and kinda. In my Tik-tak's Coatl doomstack, I had a hero hide somewhere on the map, and all the AI did was clump around into a big blob underneath them. If they have ranged they'll use that first but if they're out of ammo or melee only they just sort of ungulate around in a huge swarm.

Which turns out is pretty bad when your whole army has bound chain lightning spells.

Phoneposting so I can’t get the link but LegendofTW has a video of Isabella and the girls flying above the chaos invasion while a single necromancer hides in the trees and the AI just goes nuts for a while, then sweeps the map looking for a hidden unit. It’s one of his earliest doomstack videos, long but interesting.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
The only time I ragequit is when I beat back an attack from an AI army early in campaign then try to advance on their last remaining city, only to find it's taken me an entire turn to get there, so they're back to 8 units in each of their 3 armies defending their last remaining minor settlement and I realize I'm either going to have to cheese a 40 minute fight or wait till I have the econ to support a second army full of chaff to finally beat them. I just wanna be done with this war!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I want to join the chorus of demands to see the whole replay. I would then like to put :10bux: into a pot for whoever casts it best.