Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Should I use the old thread to talk about the first game? Or is that thread old news. I saw the ads for this, watched a duo streaming dark elves and some streaming skaven on twitch and realised how much I'd love this game. But since I hadn't played the first one, thought it'd be a good idea to play the first one, since it'd be a bunch cheaper to test drive.

Apparently not on steam where it's the same price as its sequel?! But Humble Bundle is selling it for £13 so that'll do.

My experience so far has been a solid wall of thunderers unloading into an endless mass of orcs, forever. I'm enjoying it a lot! Total War games have really been missing this unit variety/faction asymmetry.

EDIT: I bought it from Humble Bundle a few days ago but apparently that sale has ended when I just checked now.

Real Cool Catfish fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Sep 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Does Malakith even like the dark elves? It's a bit of a downgrade from almost being Phoenix king!

Real Cool Catfish fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Sep 29, 2017

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Oh man, I just ran into a battle where the 40 unit limit hurt me badly. First game.

I'm trying to get my two stacks, Grimgor and Wurzag, back to home turf for a bit of a break and recruitment after sacking the border princes and defending against dwarfs around the badlands. Just as I get there, Grimgor pops a WAAAGH! and the next turn so does Wurzag. So now I've got 4 stacks sitting next to Iron Rock. I decide to seize the moment and we all march up and lay siege to Karaz-a-Karak, Dwarven Super Stronghold. It's got a hell of a garrison, and also the Dwarven King is chilling in there with a full stack. Sure one half of my army is goblins, but I reckon it's doable. Predictive bar gives me slight advantage, even though I'm going into maybe the biggest meatgrinder the game can give me.

Battle starts, Grimgor and a goblin army is onscreen, the other 2 stacks coming in as reinforcements. And then they don't actually arrive and I realise I'd forgotten there was a 40 unit limit. Oops.Half my army is trapped off-screen.

The battle doesn't go well. One stack of decent orcs and a stack of goblins, versus two stacks of dwarves in a stronghold. Nope. Units from the other stacks unhelpfully trickle in as individual units rout off the map.

Went back and autoresolved into a close victory. drat I was really excited to play that battle! :smith:

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
I've gone down a wormwhole of warhammer total war mechanics that are hidden from the player.

But one thing I couldn't find a concrete answer on was whether spears/halberds can attack from a second rank. They've got more reach than your big standard sword, but I can't find info on whether that let's them get more attacks off as a unit, or if it just lets them get the first hit in. Or maybe it let's them hit big ol' monsters from further away?

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

CA should introduce naval battles but only if they bring in all the ridiculous poo poo from Dreadfleet like

A dwarf ironclad aircraft carrier

I mean, it's not impossible!

https://totalwarwarhammer.gamepedia.com/Ironclad

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Constantine XI posted:

It definitely was this way in older TW games. Now I'm not sure if they scrapped that level of complexity in exchange for spear type units just having more defense and having anti-cav/anti-large bonuses.

I could probably test this myself. Just by looking at a sword unit and a spear unit fighting each other in slow motion. I suspect it might be just further reach, and the second rank just twiddles their thumbs. But if the models just attack a certain radius around them as long as there's no ally in the way and there's a valid target, as gaps open up in the front rank when models move/die, maybe the second row of a unit of spearman can sneak an attack through the gaps with their longer range before it's filled again.

I think I have to grab a mod to fight individual units against each other without bringing in a Lord for each side though. Weird that it's a requirement.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

Pretty sure it's been that way in custom battles since uh Empire?

Okay I'll level with you, I haven't played a total war game since medieval 1 until I picked up Warhammer. Stupid movement bars. Nothing wrong with crossing the entire Russian steppe in one turn.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
I've been trying out the beastmen in TW1 and I've gotta say the moon events are a bit insane. Sure the growth and the replenishment options are super useful for beefing up your army, but I just got an option that was Melee Attack +50 for 3 turns for every unit.

I'm pretty sure that makes every unit into a loving chainsaw.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
The Vampire Count item Skabscrath is uh, incredibly powerful in TW1. I wish half the magic spells in the game were as deadly. It's a wind spell, but the wider part of the spell can apparently do 3500 damage to a unit of spearman. And if there's a few units clumped together?

All the damaged units in the pic are from the spell, about 7500 damage total. That's pretty nuts for something that recharges reasonably fast and doesn't use mana! Not sure how it's only uncommon.

Man, if this thing is in the second game when mortal empires comes out and you can actually aim wind spells properly, it'll be very silly.

Any other super strong items like this floating around?

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Shame I never got to experience the wood elf horde destroying everything in their path, got the game late enough that they were all isolationist.

Most I've seen them do was playing vampire counts with Ghorst. Had just had Bretonnia declare war on me and at the same time discovered the Bretonnia was massive and had confederated almost everything it could. I was moving an army up from messing around in Tilea and decided to shortcut through the forest.

Assumed the wood elves would take offence to me raiding, and sure enough up pops the diplomacy screen. Where instead of declaring war on me they ask for 1000 gold and they'll go to war with Bretonnia?? Weird priorities.

They took the entire of Bordeaux and also nabbed Parravon. Almost like they were looking for any excuse!

Best enemy of my enemy you could ask for, even if they absolutely hated my undead guts the whole time.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

JBP posted:

This was funny once, but spending all your energy early game dealing with the Chaos Elves on subsequent plays was irritating as gently caress. I did find it funny playing as Empire and seeing Orion smashing his way through the mountains and Sylvania on like turn 25 (before he came for the Empire and I was like please gently caress off).

Yeah, that makes sense why everyone's glad it got changed!

Maybe burning down the oak of ages should regress them back to their old ways, did find it silly they didn't seem to care when I did it as Skarsnik.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Late game Mousillon is hilarious to watch. They've now got battle site of 2k, 5k, 5k and 6k just over the border in Bordeaux, every time the Duke's stacks are defeated the come back almost immediately. Reached a point where he's posing a real danger to surrounding Bretonnia because every battle he loses makes him stronger.

Archonex posted:

Hey now. I'll have you know that Liu Bei fought and died for the benevolence of the kung fu monkey men of China.

Also, that Cao Cao believed that only through warfare and the chaos that comes with it could the three kingdoms be reunited under one ruler. Like, literally chaos. Dude was a secret Tzeentch worshipper, after all.

Dynasty warriors has taught me that Cao Cao's favourite word was Ambition, preferably screamed at the sky as his fleet burned around him.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
An army of basic swords, a few halberds and spearman with shields, a few archers and five mortars sure was fun to run into thing.

Pretty much continuous screeching as the mortars pound the battlefield.

Sure I lost that cheap stack to a chaos stack with their much better troops but I'll take a valiant defeat and a tattered chaos army as a result.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
My wood elf campaign in WH1 ended with me having Paravonn, Mousillon, Greenskins and Marienburg as vassals.

Just kept an eye on the smaller factions when they were losing a war badly, and since they all loved me due to the tech tree I just snapped them up. Hadn't really done much with vassaling before. Mousillon and Paravonn didn't even want any money for it, and Paravonn had both a major and minor settlement.

Still not entirely sure what governs vassaling.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Played a Norsca campaign for the first time this week, Wulfrick and only taking skin wolves and mammoths for monsters. Holy poo poo Norsca is such an awesome faction. None of the units seem useless. The only marauder I didn’t really use were spearman in the later game, and that’s only because I wasn’t facing much in the way of cavalry with the path I was carving then.

The hunts were great, the items were all so cool. Wulfrick felt like a beast with the right equipment and some yellow line. A sword with bound dwellers below is evil. As is my ability to summon spiders and attack archers in the rear, so I can pretend I own the 2nd game and can play skaven.I liked how despite everyone being averse to me early on, as the game progressed I got trade deals and pacts based on who disliked the factions I was beating up. Hell, towards the very end I’d been fighting so many green skins I got full military alliances with 3 dwarven factions including the main one.

Javelin throwers were vicious.
Marauder horsemen/masters sure are fantastic at skirmishing.
Ice wolves were great “fast cav”, best debug.
Ice wolf chariot survived the whole game and did a lot of work.
Berserkers buffed with red line do insane damage and take loads of damage, which is perfect.
Marauder champions tank for days.
Mammoths.

The triple hellcannon unit was as hilariously overpowered as you’d expect, but that’s sort of the point!

Honestly they’ve got to be one of the best factions. Course it’s been several months since I last played it and all the other factions. Once this update comes out for the 2nd game I’m probably going to have to finally buy it!

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Oooh giant slayers

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Are giant slayers two normal slayer stacked on top of each other

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Did Norsca ever have a unit list on the tabletop, or did CA just make one up? Because they did an amazing job if so.

Promising if they do decide to whip up Cathay or something way down the line for a third game.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Mordja posted:

Not sure, though I do know that some of their units, like Skinwolves and Mammoths, come from Forgeworld's Chaos supplements.

They've done their homework. Cool to see!

Which supplement has the giant with devastating farts from the Norsca hunt.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Well Norsca campaign got me back into this and now I own the second game!

I like how in the opening cinematic, a bunch of dark elves are flipping through trees being stealthy whilst Malekith stumbles though the undergrowth in plain view.

Edit: The old blind dude and his pet Lord of Change are back! Or perhaps he’s the pet? :D

Real Cool Catfish fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 18, 2018

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Pretty sure I remember the AI using it against me before

Not particularly often

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Having a gonas Tyrion, I like his skill tree having a “play nice” and “I AM THE AVATAR OF KHAINE” options.

Boy I can’t wait to get the sword, stack it on top of a yellow tree Tyrion and burn the rest of the world as my own empire crumbles under the weight of my madness.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Boy Ulthuan sure devolves onto a massive civil war from the get go.

Entirely started by me because Saphery settles into the shrine of asuryan when I was one turn away from reaching it. :mad:

Then Tiranoc does the same thing with the ruin north of Vaul’s anvil. :argh:

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Argh, the spawns for the rituals are painful sometimes. High elves, the ritual sites are around ulthuan.

One of them is the island north of the vortex, right in the middle. I fortify up the gates with a few bonus units and start the ritual. Pretty sure the gates will fall but should do a lot of damage.

6 Skaven armies spawn right next to the ritual city in the heart of Ulthuany, bypassing the outer ring entirely.

What was the point of the gates again?

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Captured an eagle bolt thrower from a high elf rebel stack.

I always forget that you can capture artillery with a partial stack.

Nice surprise, since I can’t build them yet in the early stage of this campaign.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Is it much easier for the AI to confederate in this game than the player?

It’s just in getting a lot of popups of greenskins merging into an almighty waaaaagh very early on.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
The plague spell is a bit broken if you cast it when enemies land a siege tower and all surge out in a blob. Noticed when it took a unit of chosen from full to so close to death I couldn’t see any red in their healthbar. Apparently it’s an unusual vortex, as well as being stationary it’s area of effect expands very slowly as the spell carries on, reaching max radius as the spell ends. On a unit in a normal formation this means it starts off doing low damage to only a few models, and gradually ramps up if the unit doesn’t move.

On a wall clump, it means every model in the entire unit takes the full damage from spell start to end,. Since it’s entirely ap damage, this will uh, kill every non character unit.

I won’t lie this came in handy on my skrolk vortex campaign.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

There is a 0% chance of Cathay happening, they'd have to double the size of the ME map and look how much they had to cut to squeeze game 2's map in

I’m not holding out for Cathay, but I doubt the ME map having to cater to lore would factor into their decisions on making paid DLC. Put any super Far East lords on an edge or some islands by the coast and have the narrator go “Boy you sure are a long way from home, my Lord. Why not massacre the locals and start a new Kingdom”

Like how Teclis and Snake woman have completely different starts. Slap ‘em down wherever looks like it needs more action.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

SHISHKABOB posted:

God bless the wood elves and their insane aggressiveness, declaring war on the empire and half the other guys while I'm fighting them as Chaos.

Three wood elf factions declared war on me within a few turns. And several turns on, not a single one has made a move to leave Athel Loren. Bunch of losers.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Southpaugh posted:

I think the crusaders are a place holder for Araby, the towns in the northwest of the southlands, (hams morroco) have a distinctly, Arabian thing going on with minarets and stuff. It'd possibly be a very fun starting area too, put some dark elves off the coast, random greenskin incursions, sweaty dwarves in the mountains, angry skeletons all around. Definitely the sort of place that would benefit from a Grand Vizier.

But then where would my bretonnia bros go D:

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Tilea, at war with Skavenblight, came over my Estalian border and raided me for two turns before moving back to Skavenblight territory. By sheer chance an army of mine that has been on a crusade against Arkhan the Black has arrived back in Estalia.

Playing as Alberic, which is the most bretonnian thing to do:

a) My honour has been offended and Tilea must pay, take out an army or two and force a peace deal later.

b) I’m far to busy fighting spooky skeletons in not-Africa to do anything and will ignore this slight. Who will miss a few peasants.

c) I’m a greedy sack of poo poo, use this as justification to take Tilea, which mysteriously has a 10 slot city?

d) Raze Tilea to the loving ground, allowing the skaven to expand again since I kicked them out of Eatalia, giving me a nearby enemy heavy in chaff units to smash glorious stacks of knights through in the future.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
From what I can tell, treasure hunts can give you ritual currency, up to 250, and are otherwise worse than just sailing around in every possible way.

So in ME, I don’t even know what the point is.

Boy I can’t tell you how fun taking the fight to those wood elves inside their home turf is. The buffs they can get from their lord and being in a map that counts entirely as forest make fighting them as fun as pulling teeth.

Pretty much a war of attrition “can I get them to break from army losses before my cavalry are completely wrecked and they can shred me with ranged”

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Boksi posted:

From my limited experience, you should always outnumber the enemy. Never use one army when you can use two, skavenslaves are hilariously cheap so who cares if they get mulched? Make sure to use some actual damage-dealers too and don't worry about friendly fire.

Skavenslaves are great chaff for throwing at much better units. Large expendable units that tie down and exhaust units, break and rally easily so you can keep throwing them back into the fight. All the while your artillery is pounding away, and you can summon fresh units of clan rats into the back of exhausted enemy units.

Some of my favourite skaven single player battles were a stack of nothing but skavenslaves versus smaller more elite half stacks.

Sure, the enemy lizardman general killed 300 skaven slaves personally. Still lost.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Krazyface posted:

Yes, if you go back below 30 god points, you lose the tier benefit. Also, when you get a god to tier 3, you lose all benefits from the other gods.

Unless it’s changed in 2, you actually keep the benefits of other gods when you max one out, as long as it wouldn’t drop you below the threshold. The system itself is locked after that point so you can’t build any more favour though.

Made sure I’d have the neat replenishment bonus from uh Nurgle? before I finished Khorne’s line recently.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Bring back Medieval 1’s risk style board.

Cross the entire Russian Steppe in the same length of time it takes to move from Rome to Pisa.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

First time I've gotten this message, is it new with this patch?

Based on how much of the map’s green, it’s not wrong!

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Gejnor posted:

The armour-piercing bonus damage is only melee yes, checked the tables just to be sure.

Also, i made a mod that gives the sword a hefty missile damage bonus as well:
Sword of Khaine - Ranged Damage Bonus

Add animations where they use the sword as an arrow

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Tiler Kiwi posted:

In WH2, expendable doesn't cause morale loss for units when they route through non-expendable units, but will still cause a morale loss via the "army losses" penalty.

My thoughts on leadership is that rather than stuff like flanking/casualties or whatnot giving a flat penalty, it should sort of "build up" in a similar way fatigue does. Sid Mier's Gettysburg had it work that way via depicting that loss as "stress". There are a few things that work out that way already. Or at least, the opposite way: losing your general is a big penalty that gradually goes mostly away over time.

I remember reading somewhere that leadership from casualties did build up with time. Something like casualties in the last few seconds, over the last minute and total casualties to a unit all affect leadership.

Which is why a solid artillery hit sometimes plunges a unit’s leadership down, because it gets hit with a big “casualties in the last few seconds” modifier and the normal “hit by artillery” modifier.

Found the post:
https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/7q9p2y/compiling_leadership_modifiers

Interesting stuff, chain routs with things like green skins and skaven probably happen because you can get up to -12 leadership from allies nearby routing, plus another 3/6 if your flank/s aren’t secure. So if a few rout you can get -18 leadership spreading across your army.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Yeah I was wondering if they just stick all the stats into an algorithm that quickly spits out how well each unit should do against each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
The beastmen tech tree is the dumbest thing.

Hmm what to pick, +1 rank for various units, or gosh maybe the siege holdout and hero action cost tree.

OR MAYBE the one research that gives my frontline +15 MA??? Tough choice.

Really could do with a bit more nuance.