Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I'm having a hell of a time trying out other races than Bretonnia. There seems to be way too much micromanage fiddling with spells especially, I'm completely useless at that playstyle. The other quests/tech trees don't seem as focused to me, either.

That Sigvald fella looks like he could be fun, but I don't have that DLC in the sea of stuff they want me to buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Vargs posted:

Sigvald is a cool Warhammer character but Chaos is far and away the least fun faction. They were rushed in as a free preorder bonus on the initial release and while playing them you can expect to do absolutely nothing whatsoever except identical sieges using your horrendously boring roster that consists of same-y heavy melee infantry and a few monsters that mostly aren't even unique to Chaos. They have knights which are decent heavy cavalry but you should never build them because you will never do a field battle, and a few light marauder units which you should never build because they are awful.

Surprised you're having issues with micro after coming off Bretonnia, by the way. They're one of the most micro-heavy factions, if not the most, since cav requires so much attention. And they do get magic too. Dwarfs are the polar opposite if you want to give them a try. Lizardmen also tend to be extremely simple, though that's in game 2.

It really is the magic user clicky abilities that causes me trouble. They're finicky to use, hard to remember and has you awkwardly flipping between heroes instead of managing your units. Cavalry cycling's easy compared to it. And spells like Louen's defensive buff isn't too bad, as it lasts a long time and doesn't require any aiming. Same with the damsels for the most part.

Shame about Chaos, there really aren't many clear-cut factions here that speak to me. I'm the guy who's put well over a thousand hours into the Dawn of War games, but only played Eldar, like, twice.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Mar 29, 2018

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I took over Skavenblight as Bretonnia, but I can't actually build anything there. Is that on purpose?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Like the tabletop!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

It's so weird that you can't transfer individual units from group 1 to group 2, if group 2 is already made. You have to pick the units you want to transfer from group 1, assign them an unused group, THEN transfer them to the group you want them at.

And I'd really like units to fit into several groups. So you have group 1 for every cavalry unit, but they're all split into different groups for breaking off and maneuvering.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Fangz posted:

Ambush stance

But my Chivalry!

Or was that Raiding.. Yeah, I think it's Raiding.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Kanos posted:

Ambush also costs chivalry, because it's dishonorable!

I've never tried either of those; you can catch anyone as Louen Leoncoeur!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Flakey posted:

I'm pretty sure that if you select the units you want to transfer in group 1 and then press CTRL+2 it will move them to group 2 even if that's already a group.

It is impossible for me, at least, to move the troop from group 1 to 2 or vice versa in a situation like this. I can't move them from one group to another, and if I wanted to group them together, I would have to select both and put them in a third, unused group, THEN put them back in whatever group I wanted them to be in.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I was so disappointed when I heard Settra's voice in this game. I assumed it would've been some cool Cobra Commander type, but no, just another gruff bad guy voice.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Psycho Landlord posted:

Settra sounds cool as poo poo and you have bad opinions

He sounds like something out of Blizzard, friend!

botany posted:

yeah you have brain worms

After getting the DLC, you're absolutely right.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

ZearothK posted:

I wish the Imperials had funny German accents, but otherwise VA in the game is pretty good. It's not on the level of CoH1 and DoW1 or Homeworld, but good, there is a lot of cookie monsters in the evil factions.

I'd also wish that one Bretonnian lord wouldn't pronounce it "tjivalry".

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

If I just want a cozy game on VH/Legendary, where do I go? I've been repeatedly playing dwarfs, but I'm too stupid and end getting overwhelmed by waaghs. Today I tried Last Defenders, but they really don't click with me. Do their ranged skinks get any better later on? My only "completed" game was Mortal Empires as High Elves on Hard (I gave up after killing Archaevon and running out of real opponents. It's the grand strategy mop-up curse).

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Oh yes, I had tons of fun playing those in coop with a friend Empire. I loved how tall you built them, being able to freely amass a huge group of lords and take the fight to your enemies.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

How can this one DLC be so much harder to implement than the others? If it's because it was the last one for TWW1, how does that explain it?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

KazigluBey posted:

As has been stated before, the issue was a split code-base when one team worked on Nosca for Game 1 while Game 2 was being finished. The idea management must have had at the time was that the split would be easy to merge. It wasn't, and that's the source of the delay.

thebardyspoon posted:

They were developing it alongside 2 and there's more to it than what I'm about to say but essentially they thought it would integrate just fine with 2/mortal empires when it came time to add it and were very wrong but by the time they realised that it was too far along to rework any schedules. So like, a few months after 2 came out they had to put out a blog post explaining all this, hold their hands up and say "we hosed up pretty bad here" and here we are like 7 months later haha.

It would've gone faster had they not already distributed everyone to different projects, I assume. Still, seven months sounds like they've attached a skeleton crew to something that clearly clogs up everything else, making it a priority in my eyes.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Aren't the TWW games the most popular PC GW games right now?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Chaos was so loving cool and diverse for most of tabletop Hams’ run, it was only 7th and 8th where they got lame. I would legit pay like 50 bucks for a dlc that dove into earlier army books and represented all the crazy subfactions and the wacky conversions the GW guys came up with. And mixed warrior/beastman/daemon armies dammit. All three of those factions feel like lame rosters because they were never intended to be separate and they were never intended to be homogenized. Especially warriors. I want that nurgle grim reaper lord or the tzeentch man with two melty faces, not just Black Armour Muscle Man over and over.

Like why is Sigvald’s army just more of the same? He should have an army of nimble prettyboy chaos warriors straight out of 300, and a hermaphroditic daemon harem, and a lieutenant who rides a tittysnake.

Wasn't Chaos allowed to field Chaos Space Marines in a limited number (at least in fluff), back when the world was supposed to exist in the centre of the Eye of Terror? And the Lizardmen desperately having to cover up for these anachronistic things dropping from Space?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Check the Advanced AI mod, I know it does exactly that in Warhammer 2 but I forget if the previous version has it too

Someone mentioned this and some other mod being critical for this game, but I never got around to getting them. Do you remember which one was the other?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Thanks. I'm done banging my head against Legendary, it's time for some fun modding instead.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 15, 2018

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

madmac posted:

there's easily enough to plausibly make them a DoW subfaction like Fimirs for Norsca.

Fimirs looked so cool in HeroQuest, are you saying they're in the Norsca DLC as well?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Zore posted:

Yep. You get them as casters and monstrous infantry with armor sundering. They're pretty cool.

Gejnor posted:

Yes, yes they are friend.

It was the biggest surprise out of the entire roster since they have an almost mythical air to them and of course the horrible history behind why they were banned and all that.

That's so great, I love a good swamp/bog/ruin creature.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

I have no issue with that she has a cool new model.

I miss the old, chunky models.

At least I could pretend they were paintable by my sausage fingers. :(

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Kanos posted:

They still fish for kids but it's not the focus anymore.

https://warhammeradventures.com/

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Third World Reggin posted:

The AI probably knows when to confederate and maybe checks every turn unlike the player.

:smith:

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Would it be viable to migrate from Scandinavia as Norsca, find a pretty French/Atlantic province and settle it for its increased building slots and richer land? The Norscan economy is killing me, when I try and play the confederation game.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

team overhead smash posted:

No, Norsca has rubbish economy no matter what you do in terms of building. You get your money from sacking (then attacking the turn afterwards and razing to the dark god of your choice). Migrating to a different province is fine - it just won't do anything to solve your money troubles unless you start sacking.

After a little while you should be able to comfortably run a deficit of several thousand per turn because you can make 40-50K when you sack a built up capital.

That's what I feared. I think I got lucky playing as Bretonnia on my first go; they seem to fit my playstyle the best. Build tall, go on far away crusades.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

Norsca's fine for that though. Your problem is expanding too much: your provinces never make money, so tons of expansion just means you have more territory to defend. gently caress that, build up a few provinces and go a-viking somewhere. You'll make fucktons of money.

I was thinking of doing that, but it feels good to eat 8-9 provinces by just killing one Norscan guy.. Right until everyone attacks you, as you said, without gaining any money out of it.

team overhead smash posted:

That's basically what you do with Norsca too, you just have to do a bit or crusading before you have the money to build tall.

Really wish that last province in your starting are wasn't a three days march from your capital.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

ZeusJupitar posted:

I wonder if it would be mechanically possible for him to start on a Black Ark in the middle of the ocean, with no provinces. Or even to make him a permanently seaborn 'horde' faction.

Nothing but auto resolved naval battles all game. :suicide:

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

packetmantis posted:

pet peeve: Throgg says "I eat my enemies" but in his little intro clip he throws the dude aside instead of eating him.

He sniffed his dinner and found it wanting.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

There are so many starts unavailable to me, because I can't grasp offensive spellcasting in this game.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

It's also the main way to generate Influence.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Panfilo posted:

Steel Faith turned every wood elf into goddamn Legolas, with 30-50 melee resist and crazy good stats.

I read that as 30-50 melee racists and just nodded in agreement.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Mordja posted:

Isn't Saltspite supposed to be Norscan? What I'm saying is her ship should be a giant chariot.

So a riverboat?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I'd like to know the Vampirates' victory condition, and whether it's plausible to play as two of them in a coop campaign. I know they're looking for something shiny, and that sounds like you'll be stepping on each other's toes all the way.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I only just realized that Heinrich Kemmler is a nazi reference

Lol, 80s GW.

1d4chan posted:

It is possible, especially considering GW's love of basing things in both 40k and Fantasy on actual history, that Heinrich Kemmler takes the basis of his name from the German priest Heinrich Kramer, the who wrote the Malleus Malificarum, the book that started the European witch craze and was basically "Witch Hunting for Dummies", complete with claims that witches went around stealing dicks and hiding them in birds-nests for the lulz.

You got it all wrong, friend!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Does anyone else have some strange issue with Hexoatl's towers? They just two-shot Cylostra! Is she really that weak against non-physical attacks?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Kanos posted:

She has 0 armor and bad HP, so anything that bypasses her massive physical resistance will put her in the ground real fast.

I feared that. It still came as a bit of a shock.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I really like Cylostra, but I think it would've been sweeter if she didn't acknowledge she was dead. In fact, how dare you insinuate that she is, don't you know who you're addressing??

All of her undead servants and cohorts just go along with it, because they're so terrified of her.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Maybe it's because I'm playing on low graphic settings, but I'm having a hell of a time finding any of the buried treasure. Still haven't found a single one yet, and it's starting to feel like I'm just too big a moron to decipher these vague hints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I was digging at spots that looked like things, but apparantly I was supposed to just walk one step outside of the main city and dig there.