Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

The Duggler posted:

You also need to sign up or something on the total war site to get the Bret's RoR units
Yea. It will be obvious how to do it, but if you don't, you're missing out on many, many RoR. The 30th anniversary pack or whatever it is, adds the RoR for everyone whom didn't get them from the DLCs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

The Chad Jihad posted:

My dream wood elf feature is extending their reinforce range and allowing you to choose either side of any fight to join, even if both sides are neutral to you. Geheimnisnacht has a loosely similar thing where wood elves sometimes just join unrelated wars to be assholes
Kind of off topic, but when I was playing Shogun 2 a lot, I was disappointed that the battle of sekigahara was impossible to recreate. Being able to change sides on the fly, or surrender and join your former enemy against your former ally on the battlefield would be very, very, cool.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Ahhh. I've only played the TW games on linux, so I completely missed that feature.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

unless you're dwarfs, Always Be Conquering is my experience. The AI can and will snowball if you aren't constantly punching it.
Yea. My version of "peace time" is only attacking minor factions. Sometimes a reprise from the real competition is necessary, but especially with skaven, constantly fighting will do wonders for your economy, and justify the upkeep costs.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Resting Lich Face posted:

Lucky you. I wish I could play vampire coast for the first time again.
I'm so excited. With the insane amount of DLC for this game, I always buy it on sale, so this is when I finally pulled the trigger on VC. I have been pumped for them for a long time. The only time I cheated was I preordered Ikit Claw for 10% off. He is a very good lord, up there with Setra and HELMAN GHORSHT.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Has anyone dealt with port forwarding to get the multiplayer working? I'm 99% that's the problem, as I can't see any games on line. Just curious if anyone tried port forwarding and had it work.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
They're going to do the december dlc, then probably greenskin update with the next, but they said next year.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I agree with Manny, Malaketh, and Tyrion. I'd throw Kholek on the pile too. He's weak against some things, but leveled up and with his hammer, he crumples armies like no other lord can.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

litany of gulps posted:

I mean, two Jezzails and a warp lightning cannon would kill him before he even knew there was an enemy army, but sure.
Oh sure. That's why I think Tyrion is ultimately better. Kholek has the mass to go wherever he wants, but there are plenty of counters to him. There really isn't that great of an anti-Tyrion unit, (grail/blood/dragon knights?) you just have to minimize his impact. Kholek is still on any short list was my point.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Right on. It's a loving sandbox. Don't intentionally paint yourself into a corner worrying about stupid poo poo like continuity.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
A sub map like in master of magic could be cool.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Just got the linux update.... nothing changed except it deleted the Hunter and the Beast DLC. So weird. I'm sure it will be all sorted out in a couple weeks when we finally get the DLC.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
They're pirates. You can kill them for their piece of eight if you're also a pirate. They'll attack you, but won't come on to land.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Engineers can sometimes get them when they steal tech.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Cylostra rules, and I'm fully on the everyone's campaign should end with Ulthuan sinking train.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Do all the clan eshin contracts. Because they all net a positive amount of points, you'll have them all maxed out faster than trying to pick and choose.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
There are a couple exceptions. Only Alarielle gets the wood elf tree friends, same with Arkahn the Black and his Vampires, but they're just added on from other factions to round out their gimmicks. Ikkit gets special units from his lab that no one else can use (except in custom battles), and Alith Anar gets super special shadow warriors no one else can use. The units advertised in most DLC's are for everyone in the faction though.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Khatep is no slouch either. Not a good first campaign though. If you really want to cringe, watch the tiktaktoe one where he makes it all about him being gay with his terradon.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Even then. His "screw up" arguably saved the tomb kings' entire existence, and the mortuary cult is still a' cultin' as much as ever. Holy hell does the game make you feel that you've been banished to the absolute rear end end of everything.

Full disclosure, I'd be pissed if my baby face came back looking like beef jerky man.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Yea, but there's a strong selection bias.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I think Thanquol is a shoe in for WH3. He'll be the new version of "new map start for the old race DLC." Not sure why people would expect him in WH2.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Apr 10, 2020

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I'd personally get the second game, and buy the first one like it was a dlc when it goes on deep discount. It's the best DLC for the second game. Get all the free stuff, then just see what factions you like. Some factions are more or less DLC reliant. I think Skaven without the gunline are hard to field any more, now that they have 2 dlc worth of ranged options, that's why prophet and the warlock is so highly suggested. The Vampire Coast is my personal favorite DLC.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Tic taq to. Drop Rocks. Scream.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
You don't need to go all in on the air-force, I only like to go heavy on the fliers once I have a nice ground force to anchor. Before that, use them as cav. The fun is getting good at micro and doing insane rock drops, and trolling the loving out of the AI with his ritual that resets your movement. His start is in a fun place too. I always snowball the lizardmen through confederation enough to get almost every lord anyway. He's not super obvious like skryre, or bonkers easy like eshin.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
The free-lc lords are better than Helman Ghorst. Hunter and the Beast is way better than any of the game 1 lord packs. Dread Saurian is worth the 6 bucks or whatever. They help Tic establish and maintain a strong land presence. I like Nakai a bunch too, the sacred kroxigors are great. I don't know, I just don't see 2 of the least interesting campaigns of the first games as anywhere near as good. Same with King and the Warlord. Anything you can say about a faction being dated... Those two haven't aged terribly well, and the units aren't amazing.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Yea, but even if empire is your favorite faction, Marcus's campaign is more unique than Vulkmar's by any measure. It would also be a weird time to buy into greenskins, because the rework is right around the corner. If you main dawi, then I feel for you and I guess you take what you get. I just mean the lord packs. There are reasons to play any of the DLC races.

I'm even a Helman Ghorst fanboy, it's just the value isn't there if you can only grab a couple DLC's. My personal preference would be Chaos and Grim and Grave, but that's not a very good generic recommendation, it's for people who like grindy melee.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 18, 2020

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I have like 3 different ways to listen to other music while playing TWWH2. That's how good the soundtrack is.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
It syncs with "On the Bible" by Tech N9ne.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Goons love bolt thrower. It's a stereotype, but it's true. IVth Crusade is one of the better TWWH2 soundtracks.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
If you've played lizardmen like I have, you owe it to yourself to play a campaign to "Slow and Heavy" by Diplodocus.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Washin Tong posted:

Does Steam still have that dumb system where it needs you to leave like 60GB free in order for the patches to install? I want to be ready for the 21st but SSD space is limited.
Honestly, with all the times patching has broken the game for me, and how you need like 60GB free anyway, I usually just re-install whenever there is a major DLC patch.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Spawning level 30 immortal Slaan is very, very powerful. I usually swap out my growth buildings or whatever for Star Chambers. They also let you get RoR ridiculously fast.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I pre-ordered this DLC entirely because of the troll hag. Since I have to wait for the linux update, seeing these kind of results makes me happy, even if it might be nerfed by the time I get it, like the OG jezzails.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Xan posted:

Unless you prefer the native Linux version, you can force the game to use proton instead. Then you're playing the same version as Windows. Works quite well for me on proton v5.6.
You know, I might as well give the windows install a shot. I reinstall for major updates anyway. Only thing I wonder about is save compatibility, but I can just back it all up.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I can think of a couple. Tomb kings does it all the time, because you don't need the higher level unit, but you want to increase the cap of a lower one, which is pretty common. Lizardmen would do it with their order building to tech up, dark elves should put slave pits in minor settlments in naggarond, even if you can't level them up. That's just off the top of my head.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
It's cool when Todd does it.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I hope they get that figured out for WH3. Not having mixed gender units is a weird omission. Like flagellants and peasant mobs. Women never lose their temper in the WH universe apparently. At least you can use fantasy chauvinism to wave away the regular military forces, even though you shouldn't have to.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I would enjoy it more if the camera work wasn't so bad. I get why it is that way, but it's more fun to watch replays with editing and commentary.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

I hold that sports cameramen are some of the most talented camera operators in the world because they know how to follow the action properly. It's why I find most MLG or other competitive game videocasts pretty lame because they know how to run a camera like a player but not like a spectator.

I think the only game caster I like is Indrid but he usually only does Dawn of War 2 casts and he had difficulty manipulating the camera effectively the few times he tried doing total war replays.
So my biggest male role model and father figure built an upper middle-class lifestyle for his family through sports video, and it's insane how people who think they can do it on their own come crawling back to him to shoot their games. This man has literally hundreds of thousands of hours of footage he's shot since the late 80's, and being exposed to someone who casually gets requests for footage is a big part of why it sticks out so badly. You either have that eye, or you don't. I don't, but I can tell who does.

-edit i'll mention it because it bears mentioning; they're trying their best. The big producers of TWWH2 competitive content are great hosts, and put a ton of effort into it, but as others have mentioned, it's a small community and it's not shocking it hasn't produced a quality cinematographer.

-edit 2: for sports video it seems anyone can get lucky and catch that perfect moment, but the pro's are so much better at predicting and capturing that moment.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 13:19 on May 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
So I might have been wasted and carried away with the light role playing aspects of the game, but if even if you think the Warden is the weaker half of the DLC; he will always be the spiritual father of the Ulthuan Space Program, breaking the sound barrier at 204 speed.