Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I mentioned this in the Battletech thread, but it bears repeating here but...

imagine being the judge who gets to sit and preside over a legal battle over which space marines are the true Space Marines (tm).

Also imagine being the lawyers who have to legitimately argue this stuff. The lawyers are getting paid a lot sure, but they still have to keep a straight face when talking about how "I OBJECT TO HOW MUCH THIS DOOM SLAYER SPACE MARINE'S ARMOR IS EXACTLY LIKE MY SPACE KILLER MARINE DOOM MAN'S SPACE SUIT"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Finally got this game. I'm enjoying the poo poo out of playing as high elves right now. Tyrion is kinda of boring but meh, I have enough mages that I don't mind. Early on I was annoyed because some of the other HE factions gobbled up some territory I wanted but I also didn't want to go to war over it. I got ridiculously wealthy - even though I now know I could be wealthier with this one weird elven agent trick - and ended up getting big enough that it was pretty simple to confederate the ones I wanted. Plus I noticed that one of the AI factions was doing the incredibly annoying work of keeping one of the pirate factions at bay when the pirates would just run the gently caress away so I left them alone. Ended up crushing that DE faction that spawned to the North, consolidating the home territories and ultimately ended up sending 3 stacks across the sea to the DE homelands and I'm having fun running amok over there.

Sea Guards with Shields might be my favorite all purpose unit, but the dragons take the crown. I typically take 4 swordsmasters, 4-6 sea guards with shields, a couple of phoenix guards, a couple eagles, at least one dragon, and a couple bolt throwers with some various units flexed in there depending on my whims at the moment.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

That trailer. That loving trailer.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

I had a single HE stack take on two skaven intervention stacks last night in a single battle. The kill counts for some of my units was utterly absurd. Overall I had somewhere close to like 4k kills. I think a phoenix guard unit had like 450. It was a pretty brutal battle though that was kind of close at times, they had a poo poo ton of artillery and goddamn skaven ranged units are irritating as gently caress. Sort of understandable though it was my standard stack comp so I didn't have any cavalry.

Also, I have one major complaint about this game's diplomacy system: I'm playing as Tyrion. I've made it a point to not confederate another HE faction unless I have a good reason to do so. The AI has done a great job being an rear end in a top hat to my enemies and also doing the incredibly annoying work of chasing away pirate armies that run away immediately when approached and then go back to doing exactly what they were doing before once they leave.

My one complaint is that the AI has a tendency to snap up cities I want and afaik there is no way to get those cities short of confederating them or declaring war and just taking it. I have like 2-3 incomplete provinces because of this and it bugs me.
Early on in the game Saphery snapped up the Shrine of Asuryan while I was sieging the province capital and Yvresse managed to beat me to the Shrine of Kaine, effectively denying me a waystone site early on. A little bit later the shrine of pleasure came in and took the shrine but while I was still a turn away with a full stack Cothique came in and took it. In the middle game Ellyrion snapped up a couple minor DE regions as I was conquering provinces across the sea, and the most annoying instance of it was a chaos intervention stack randomly razing some city in the NE part of the island and Yvresse snapped it up as I was murdering the stack responsible for the razing.

I'd really really like to be able to request regions from the AI when this happens.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

jokes posted:

You stumbled on the secret optimal strategy as High Elf: Ensure the survival of as many separate factions that you can trade with because they make an absolutely retarded amount of trade income. It's in line with the theme of high elfs, who basically are just supposed to be world police.

Matter of fact, conquering and confederating as High Elf is really hard.

I found confederating sort of easy actually.

In one of the early examples I mentioned, Saphery snapped up the Shrine island city while I was busy with the province capital. I was mad so I actually spent an absurd amount of early influence getting their opinion of me up so I could confederate them. This didn't actually work and in retrospect - since I'm now late in the game and am influence starved because I didn't realize nobles had a "get influence" mission until real late - I wish I had spent that influence on literally anything else.

But once I had 4 stacks and sent 3 of them over to mess up the DEs, they confederated like dominoes. I was able to confederate the ones I wanted and left some key ones alone.

In any case I now have 7(?) stacks I think and I'm making 16k a turn. Money has been no obstacle this game.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

sassassin posted:

I don't understand the goobers whining about real world military history comparisons itt when TW:Warhammer is part of a game series that was until recently dedicated to depicting real world military history battles (with added ninjas).

"Why don't we have pikes in TWW and if we did what would they be good for?" is an entirely valid question.

Someone please edit that cartoon about not wanting Parthia and change it to pikes. TIA.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Just finished my first vortex campaign. Had to do the final battle twice. I hosed up majorly the first time. Allowed my dragon princes to get bogged down and mostly murdered in the lizardmen phase and got Tyrion mostly murdered in the DE phase. I also forgot about my air unit group with a pair of dragons and they were really late to the lizardmen phase.

I came back with the same army and didn't lose a single unit. In fact I don't think that I had a single unit drop below 50%. It was pretty awesome. The biggest difference was I discovered that after the first fight you're on defense and the bad guys will come to you. So I took advantage of the terrain and moved my whole army up the hill where the Skaven originally spawn forcing any additional reinforcements to walk up the hill single file. My sea guards murdered the poo poo outa dudes. I wish I had payed attention to the unit kill counts. Combine that with liberal use of the spells they give you and viola, easy win.

This fight was preceded by maybe my biggest TW fight ever at Eagle gate where the garrison and one of my stacks fought three Unknown Skaven stacks. The fight took like 30 minutes. It was impressive. Also preceded by Tyrion's stack getting lightning stirke ambushed by a pair of Unknown Skaven stacks and murdered three turns before the final battle. It cost me a fully upgraded High mage that had been with me the whole game. Shoulda taken the immortality trait on her.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

I really liked the Vortex campaign. It's literally a TW1 campaign except your objectives aren't focused on occupying territory per se and every once and a while you manually trigger a mini-chaos invasion. Then at the end there is one final scripted battle. Honestly I felt like it was a really nice 'short' campaign.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

I, uhhhh.....

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but these guys are def going to be my first choice whenever they come out. I hope the major over world mechanic that drives them is the need to eat. All the time. The gooniest of all races for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Oh Man, I'm going to have to start a new campaign or two here aren't I?

I've done Dwarves, Greenskins, Vampire Counts, and High Elves to completion in the long campaign/Vortex between the first and 2nd games. And I've started an Empire, Lizardmen, Beastmen and Dark Elf campaign (one or more in MP co-op) and never finished them. So many choices.