Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Did they add back naval combat yet or is the Manowar Corsair game eating up Warhammer naval video game copyright?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So what QOL features are there in this game that improve upon WH1? Is the combat feedback better? Warhammer 1 was big on spectacle but I felt like the actual melee was a bit floaty and not as crunchy as Medieval 2 or as slicey as Shogun 2.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gamerofthegame posted:

Never before have I seen a weirder take of ME2 having more mechanics to it's combat then Hams.

I didn't say it was mechanically better. The unit pathfinding in me2 drives me up the wall. My point was that actual melee has a level of brutality in ME2 that wasn't as well done for me in hams. It's the sound design really. The impact and death sounds in medieval are so good and cavalry charges are wonderful. Hams cavalry charges are good too but I prefer a front line evaporating under hooves to the front line flying twenty feet in the air.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Another important question: do the Skaven have warplock jezzails or ratling gun teams?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I want to boot up Warhammer 1 again (haven't bought 2 yet) after not playing for about a year. Any must have quality of life mods?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

No Aggressive AI Agents (Let's you still use them for quest purposes)
Advanced AI Mod
Better Trade
Better Rebel Armies
Cataph's Tweeks
Home Region Movement Bonus
Legendary Lords zero upkeep
More Skill Points
Tier 4 Minor Settlements (Really helps AI build good buildings along with Advanced AI Mod)
Resized Heroes and Lords

That is all what I use.

Thanks for the list. Maybe that AI mod will help the dwarfs build balanced armies and not cheesy traps for my greenskins. Speaking of greenskins, would I be better off with Wyvern warbosses or Boar warbosses? Currently I've been sticking with Boars and then giving the warboss two troll units as his bodyguards and they've been doing solid work against Dwarf and Empire armies. I remember Wyverns not being very good last I played due to their penchant for getting swamped by enemies and taking massive damage as they try to take off again. Is that still the case?

I'm also really liking Grimgor's new Black Orc/Big 'Un skill tree which really turns Big Uns into a kill squad.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Has anyone tried Steel Faith Overhaul 1 or 2? Are they worth it or do they start getting into Radious levels of grognard changes?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Wasn't that reinforcement bug already fixed in Warhammer 1? How did they miss it a second time?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I figured an easier answer would be to say "the team doing bug fixing for Warhammer 1 was not working alongside the team developing Warhammer 2 to help them correct the issues they had found in the first game on the off chance they crop up again in the second game." It's not like they made Warhammer 1, bug fixed everything and then started in Warhammer 2. They would have jumped right into 2 before the first game was even finished and left the bug fixing to a patch crew.

Edit: or you know, what the guy above me just said.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 22, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Speaking of WH1, what's a good way to level up Skarsnik? His red tree is a must, but should I focus on making him more sneaky via the blue tree or more stabby via the yellow? Also, does the army wide poison buff stack with poison units or just add it to those that don't have it?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ogres riding halflings!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You know, ive never considered it before, but playing as a mercenary faction in a Total War game could be a ton of fun if done properly. You vassalize yourself to a faction and get immunity in their lands, but your allegiances add bonuses or penalties to the types of units you can recruit. Your diplomacy game would be about balancing how much money people want to pay you to help their faction against the relations penalty you would receive for going turncoat against a former employer.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Germans were the best Barbarian race in Rome 1 because they were a kamikaze meat blender. Berserkers, night raiders, chosen axemen and screaming women backed up by sorta glass cannon phalanxes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is charge bonus really that important for an on foot legendary lord like Grimgor? I'm trying to kit him out as the ultimate killing machine but he does his best work when he's in the thick of things rather than on the charge. Would I be better off just focusing on his melee attack and weapon strength skills?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What should I be slamming my boar boy big uns into? They don't seem much better than regular boar boys and those are awful. If I want decent greenskin cavalry injustice stick with squig hoppers.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think I'm going to have to turn Steel Faith Overhaul off. The new units and battle balance are nice but a lot of the campaign map changes are super frustrating. Garrison upgrades kill your economy but economy buildings tank your public order and public order buildings also kill your economy. So you either need to deal with having minimal income or having constant rebellions besieging your cities and also killing your income while you barely have enough cash to run a single army because upkeep is the same or higher.

And the endless siege defenses reveal how the siege pathfinding is still awful and having Archer units only able to fire in one direction means they can barely hit anything at 90 degrees to them.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Sep 30, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Dwarf ambushes: where half the battle is waiting for the ambushers to make it into range.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I want to change up my late game greenskin composition.

My current composition is:
1 x Grimgor
1 x Shaman
1 x Rusty Arrers
2 x Night Gobbo Archers
1 x Squig Hoppers
1 x ROR Squig Hoppers
2 x Big'Uns
1 x Warlord's Boyz
6 x Black Orcs
1 x Arachnarok Queen
1 x Hammer of Gork
2 x Rock Lobbas

I feel like I'm lacking in core infantry but I have a hard time deciding what I should remove to make more space for more black orcs, or trolls or giants for monstrous creatures.

I want something that can stand up to Chaos Hordes and hack up their armored units without fleeing the minute Terror kicks in.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I changed my army comp to something that works pretty well.

1 Grimgor
1 Shaman
4 Boar Chariots
2 Arachnaroks (1 Queen)
2 Night Gobbo Archers (1 Rusty Arrers)
8 Black Orcs
2 Trolls

I tried the Giants but they were too much of an artillery magnet, while I've found that two Trolls make a very solid bodyguard for Grimgor with their regeneration and his leadership buffs. The Arachnaroks hold down the flanks while the Boat Chariots swing around the back for rear charges and getting rid of hellcannons. Grimgor, the archers and the trolls completely wrecked Sarthoreal.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Limit naval combat to five ships per stack or just apply battlefleet gothic armada rules.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Late to the party but that Pirate trailer was the best thing they've ever done.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's a shame Harry the Hammer isn't in the game. He's the best Chaos Champion because he gives no fucks about Chaos and killed so many skellymans that the undead actively fear him.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So the LIzardmen stole Blackheart's hand?

Luthor Harkon and Huron Blackheart have a lot in common now that I think about it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOEFL_hCLAs

Lol, the Bae Enchantress.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Question. Warhammer II is showing as being 50% off for me right now. I also have a coupon for it being 50% off in my inventory? Are these the same offer or is it 50% off for Black Friday deals and I can take an additional 50% off with my coupon?

EDIT: Guess not. That coupon expired days ago. Shame, it would have been awesome to get the game at $15

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Nov 25, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Given that Warhammer 1 isn't likely to get anymore updates, I wanted to play with some mods, but it looks like the new launcher says all of the mods are out of date. Can I still launch the game or is it going to crash?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well I found out that the advances AI mod doesn't play well with Green Iz Best and that is what was causing the crashes.

How is mortal empires compared to WH1? The more I replay WH1 the more I think it is an incredibly unbalanced Total War game with a lot of features that actively annoy me. Forced March can gently caress off and die. Battles look fancy but I don't actually like playing them all that much compared to other total war battle systems. If I set up a gunline I want to see an enemy unit melt, none of this health pool nonsense where you chip away at one or two troops every minute until suddenly the health pool goes critical and the entire unit dies in two seconds.

Does mortal empires feel notably different from the old game?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Azhag is cooler than Archaeon and his name starts with an A. Also Death Magic is amazing for killing monstrous creatures with the armor debuff spell. Watching three night goblin archers melt a chaos giant in ten seconds never gets old.

Also Lightning Strike. It is glorious and it solves so many problems I have with armies running away.

Do Waaagh armies affect a host army's ambush chances of they run up beside the host army at the end of a turn?

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 11, 2019

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

The Crotch posted:

Giants are drat near unarmoured as it is already.

The same plan worked just as well on kholek which I found amusing

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Recommendations for any mods with slower combat? I want to like Steel Faith Overhaul but it does a lot of things that annoy me.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

The Duggler posted:

I hardly play Vanilla, but I think Lucky's Overhaul slows down combat a bit in comparison. It also has the best skill trees of any mod I've played, and you can build out some themed armies nicely.

It comes with unit caps and stuff, but really doesn't do all that much to the strategy layer as far as I can tell. I think it tweaks the AI to build walls in basically every settlement so prepare for that

I downloaded a popular mod called Better Combat and it seems to slow down morale damage and movement speed so unit animations match up better.

I tried it with my first Empire campaign and it's quite fun. My army of free company militia like to shoot things to death

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Play Games Workshop's specialty games instead to save yourself some money. Kill-Team and Mordheim are smaller scale than big Fantasy, Sigmar or 40K battles, and they emphasize customization.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If I have the Norsca DLC for Warhammer 1 does it carry over to Mortal Empires?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

The Duggler posted:

I was really just thinking of Steam, I am fairly sure they go on super sale but maybe I'm thinking of trash DLC like blood and stuff.

Sorry!

ALl the Warhammer stuff is on anyewhere between 20% to 66% off right now. Hence why I'm installing Warhammer 2 as we speak because $25 is a lot easier to stomach than $71 CDN holy poo poo.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well, Ive played for a bit and I immediately know I'll need a mod that forces the AI to build varied army stacks. Fighting the Skeggi when they have thirteen units of silver chevron Marauder champions is bullshit when I can only recruit basic saurus units.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The tutorial mode might just be one of the most aggravating ones I've seen in a total war game for a very long time. In Warhammer 1 the tutorial was quick and dirty. Here's a battle, here's how your troops move, enemy there, go kill.

In Warhammer 2, old advisor won't even let you move the camera without first clicking to confirm that you have in fact heard his pleas for observation.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Holy poo poo whose idea was it to prevent people from hitting the End Turn button until they had resolved all of the events in a turn? I've had it break half a dozen times by thinking there's an event/movement/recruitment I haven't done yet and it completely breaks army movement and doesn't let me end the turn. What was so difficult about putting all the unresolved actions on a list before asking if you wanted to end turn or not? At least that didn't break the button half the time.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think I'm going to have to give up on lizardmen. They have a lot of things going against them and I just cannot seem to find any footing with the faction. Auto resolve absolutely hates LM armies and will happily annihilate your best units. The upkeep costs are pretty low but the recruitment costs are insane and you have a lot of downsides in actual battles. On paper saurus units seem amazing but that cold-blooded trait will wreck them and they stay in combat way too long. It's not unusual for my saurus to end a battle with 20 men left. They hit hard but have no charge bonus worth talking about and they're as slow as dwarfs without the same resilience. Slower lizard dwarfs who hit harder but die faster. Apart from chameleon skinks I don't really bother because they can't really kill anything in melee.
Campaign map upgrades are prohibitively expensive and getting a second army up and running is hard as balls because the buy in cost is huge and you're already strapped for cash trying to get the building upgrades.
Their lords are excellent and lore of heavens has chain lightning which is incredibly cool but I don't find it enough to make up for their crippling economy problems and unreliable armies.

Plus sieges are still terrible and lol if you want to auto resolve a surge against a walled Skaven settlement.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Hunt11 posted:

Out of curiosity which lord are you using?

I was getting nowhere with mazdamundi so I started a kroq-gar campaign because he gets to ride a tyrannosaurus raptor rex. My army comp tends to be
1x Kroq-Gar
1x Skink Priest Lore of Heavens
6x Saurus Shields
4x Saurus Shields Spears
3x Chameleon Skinks
2x Javelin Skinks
1x Kroxigors
1x Blessed Carnosaur
1x Blessed Stegadon

The saurus punch hard but they die in droves and are slaughtered by auto resolve. The skinks are distractions that peel off cavalry which I intercept with the Carnosaur. The Stegadon just shoots stuff. Skink Priest drops chain lightning. Kroq-gar eats enemy heroes, and Kroxigors get stuck in.

I almost never get missions to unlock blessed spawnings so lol about ever getting temple guards, not that they'd do much better given how hit and miss my main line of Saurus units have been doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ravenfood posted:

What are you fighting? That's a very solid army that should be fine in the field. Chameleon skinks are great though, not "distractions" for cavalry.

I'm fighting tomb kings mainly because I made it a priority to crush the Skaven. Tomb kings I try to prioritize their generals because they're like vampire counts except more versatile but they love to hide in blobs of skeleton spearmen while they drop some heavy magic firepower on my lizards.

All of my victories have either been close or pyrhhic ones because they end up as these drag out knockdown fights and I can't replenish fast enough on the campaign map. Also I think ambushes might be bugged because I can have a jungle ambush set up with 100% success rate and then have a tomb kings army just happily saunter over and attack me along with three other doom stacks.