Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Any recommendations for a structured-ish start in ME? Tyrion’s vortex campaign is the only Total War I’ve played much, so something to add a bit of structure to my first time through a sandbox campaign might be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

Senor Dog posted:

How structured exactly? Khemri and Brett start off with obvious challenges then give you lots of latitude to finish how you want once you’ve gotten big and strong.

Norsca also has several early objectives and a short victory that’s relatively achievable for ME.

Just something that nudges me in a not-awful direction for the first 10 or 20 turns. Like I enjoyed that as Tyrion I could look at the map and just say, “Step 1, murder everything I need to in order to unify inner-Ulthuan.”

Settra was who I kinda wanted to play the most so I’m glad they have something like that. I just want to see murder cat prance around big groups of skeletons/Skaven/orcs.

Anno
May 10, 2017

The community folks at CA have to be the most patient souls to ever have walked the earth, because from what I can tell every official/semi-official Total War community is just the worst.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Holy poo poo that looks amazing.

I feel like I knew most of these units existed except for those crazy walking transformed pirate ships.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I wonder who the FLC lord will be

Wasn’t there something about Malus Darkblade that was “leaked” through an IMDB accreditation?

Anno
May 10, 2017

For people more knowledgeable about TT, is this more or less obscure than what CA did with the full Norsca faction?

Anno
May 10, 2017

Is a “Death Shriek” Terrorgheist different than the Terrorgheists we already have in some way?

Anno
May 10, 2017

Are there any named characters that are those siren banshees? That shadow kinda looks like it’s floating rather than standing.

Anno
May 10, 2017

It would be pretty cool if this was a character that GW had sitting on a shelf somewhere and CA gets to introduce it to the community.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Didn’t Luthor Harkon craft spooky cursed skull artifacts that let their owners command the dead? Maybe Aranessa has come into possession of one of those, allowing her to be alive and use their unit roster.

Anno
May 10, 2017

How does Unbreakable even work with Undead? Does it just cap leadership at a lowest value of 0 so they don’t crumble? With regeneration that seems pretty strong.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Salted_Pork posted:

If the silver princess is an LL and a lahmian
we could still get a mix of living and dead. lahmians traditionally have numbers of enthralled mortals with them.

Anyone know when the stream sale ends? I'm desperately trying to farm enough raider creates in PUBG to afford this.

The 10% off lasts until the DLC launches, so you’ve got almost a month. I’m sure it’s cheaper elsewhere but I assume you’re looking to buy it with Steambucks since you’re referencing PUBG crates.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Beffer posted:

Does anyone have any links to cheap Ausgoon deals? (Fat chance, I know)

This would be the page to follow: https://isthereanydeal.com/game/totalwarwarhammeriicurseofvampirecoast/compare/

Best I can tell right now the best deal is about 20% off, but I have no concept of if that’s a good deal in Ausbucks or not.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I wonder how she’ll actually play in battle. I assume lowish armor but fast and hard hitting with perfect vigor, high skill and a decent ward save, meant to blend infantry. So maybe kinda like a tankier Hellebron without magic?

Anno
May 10, 2017

Maybe the new Lore will have some slowing spells to help their limited mobility.

Speaking of which there’s still so much to show the next few weeks. I’m curious how hard they keep the drip feed marketing train going.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Yeah the amount of "you advanced the story of this incredibly minor character some incredibly minor amount in order to make her cool character fit into this faction how dare you surrender to the SJWs blah blah" that was going around r/totalwar was pretty gross. I can't even imagine the official forums.

Anno
May 10, 2017

peer posted:

Have we seen a Rotting Leviathan yet? Like, how it looks?

I think those are the extra big crabs, with rotting prometheans being the large-cav sized crab.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Elswyyr posted:

This game looks cool as poo poo, but why is it/everything around it so expensive? It looks like having the first game adds a ton of poo poo too, so it's like 200 euro for the whole package at the moment. Is there a better way to get this, some kind of bundle somewhere, anything at all?

Takes a lot of work, especially in the art, to make all the cool poo poo. You don’t really need to purchase the DLC unless it’s a faction you want to play as. They’ll be in the game as AI to play against just in the base game. So you can start with that and just add on what you want as sales come around. TWW1 is usually available for 75% off during sales, too.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Is Cylostra a completely new character? Maybe I'm too attached to my lore, but slightly disappointed they didn't go with Vangheist/Skretch.

That said, I really dig her design and mechanics. I might play her first, but after doing a Tretch campaign, her starting position is pretty unappealing to me.

CA has done some hinting that Vangheist is still in the game. I assume as part of this bullet point “Unique tech tree unlocking four unique Vampire Coast Lords”. So who knows what that could mean.

This lady seems more fun than just another pirate guy but a ghost. Plus having a pure caster LL in there gives some nice variety. Also it pisses off stupid internetsmen for good measure.

Anno
May 10, 2017

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

fat lady owns for the tears alone. vampire pirate knight army sounds pretty fun, giant crabs all over the world. i like the playstyle gimmick too but naval battles really need to just be on tiny islands. what's the mod that does that?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1524091553

But it's being implemented in an official capacity when the Vampire Coast launches in less than a month.

Anno
May 10, 2017

KazigluBey posted:

That seems like a... Very uncharitable interpretation of that video. Dude was super into the whole thing and his literal only reservation was an edge case hypothetical that will never matter (What if CA makes new LLs instead of using very established characters for future factions?), and he even went as far to handwave away the handwringing over VanGeist or whatever other VC LL candidates got the pass in favor of Cylostra. Heck, scroll down into the YT comments and you'll be blown away by the degree to which at least his viewers are 100% on board with Cylostra as well, for a pallet cleanser after all those Steam forums/Warhammer Forums screenshots.

Yeah I thought it was the best video of the normal TW YouTube community that I’ve seen. Good on him for rightly calling out people who had never even heard of 90% of this stuff two weeks ago and now consider it sacred and masterful canon that needs to be implemented blah blah.

Anno
May 10, 2017

https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/1051110308243283968

I like how the smaller crabs walk.

Anno
May 10, 2017

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Wait really? Are there any other major campaign mechanic changes with VC?

Not that they’ve mentioned yet. The best chance is whenever they talk about the Vampire Count changes. They’ll probably get something or another.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Ham Sandwiches posted:

The state of discourse in 2018, in a thread about videogames and pre release content

I think the vampire DLC is loving cool and I'm glad the game is not dead, is this it before three kingdoms? I guess we'll find out

I believe they’ve indicated that the Lizard/Rat DLC is targeting early 2019. One can assume that means maybe early February at the latest so they can focus all their marketing on 3K for awhile.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Randarkman posted:

So, what's the maps going to be like? Fighting on a black ark? A bunch of ships tied together?

A Black Ark or various islands apparently. I love the implied fiction that suggests some dwarves sail past some orcs, they yell at each other from their ships a bit and agree to sail over to a tiny island for a pickup battle. It’s pretty stupid and fun.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Elswyyr posted:

I bit the bullet and bought the Dark Gods Edition for the first game. What's a good race to start off with? I love Vampire Counts, but if they're getting a big update soon I'd rather delay that, and I think Beastmen look neat as hell, but they're a seperate purchase.

The VC rework isn’t for the first game, only for the combined campaign which requires both games. So if you only have Warham 1 then go ahead and rock on with your vampires.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I think it’d make sense only when all of the races have been touched up. Otherwise it just throws balance out the window entirely. The new VC skills look substantially better than the original and they were already very strong on campaign IIRC.

Anno
May 10, 2017

jokes posted:

I find a common mistake people make playing early vampires is to stick to a single stack for their fighting. You're supposed to have LOTS of throwaway units in every battle, but vanilla VC doesn't give you numerical advantage-- 20 more zombies in a card than a unit of swordsmen isn't the type of numerical advantage you need to rely on. So, multiple stacks. VCs are fabulously wealthy it's not a big deal.

I always have a hard time convincing myself not to use that fabulous wealth to turtle up after uniting Sylvania and powering through my buildings. I probably need to just have a few lords around without an army and just raise one starting a few turns before they need to stab stuff.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

:goonsay: akshually, full plate armour is extremely rare, only dwarf and empire nobility have it

Is Turin hosting it? That dude is really good at casting, like he could be a professional radio personality.

Him, ItalianSpartacus and Janet on Occasion. I don’t really care for Italian but I like both JoO and Turin a lot.

Anno fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 19, 2018

Anno
May 10, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The whole “my tier 2 garrison and tier 1 woods adds double varghulfs to my garrison” is horrible.

Perhaps every. single. settlement. shouldn’t be a goddam pita slog.

Could I interest you perhaps in triple varghulf?
https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/discussion/1334469565/1735468061765973997/

Anno
May 10, 2017

These Mourngul Haunters seem like they're going to be a nightmare.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Those Depth Guard are just :allears:

Anno
May 10, 2017

Good game 3. Gorebulls look pretty scary now.

This entire thing being on the new patch with a new faction means it'll probably be pretty clowny, but Total Warham is fun even when being clowny imo.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Mordja posted:

That was a great match! Did cannons get buffed? Because the rate they took out uncle Nocty was insane.

I think it was because they also had the two lords devoted to buffing them up against undead. Like half his army was dedicated just to sniping a huge regenerating lord lol.

Hopefully we get to see Noctilus again without the hardcore counter pick.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I dont know posted:

While the tournament is taking a break, they are showing static images on the stream over the commentators talking. The one with Direfin's army includes a ghost paladin hero. Has that been mentioned elsewhere? I know she can summon drowned knights errant, but I think the ghost paladin hero is new.

Yeah it was mentioned on the roster reveal stream.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Yeah Indy's gorebull did some pretty solid work against full-on Jurassic Park. Hopefully Grimgor gets the same treatment.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Just caught up today's battles and man, the last seven matches were all really fun and mostly close. I hope CA does more to highlight these kind of MP tournaments. I could listen to Turin cast these things forever.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Cythereal posted:

Finished watching that tournament, and personally I'm concerned about Harkon's balance. He was taken most every time the VSea showed up, and never died in the entire tournament. He's a monster in melee, even better at range, fucks over special abilities, flies with that mount, and every time a LL fought him, he won.

I wonder if you’ll just have to go really wide against Harkon. I assume he’s quite expensive, even more so when you consider he forces you to take a Captain hero for you summons/heals. Nothing he has is great against groups of enemies.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

How would you go about making the Grimgors and dragonless Lokhirs of the world viable?

Seems to me that unless he becomes like, significantly buffer than Kholek, I’m still never picking Grimgor. Being able to pick and choose fights with a mount and utilize spells and abilities is just way better than “get stuck in and fight infantry”

Make him a better duelist and immune to knockdown? Ok, Azhag flies around spirit leeching him and bjuna/purple sunning his army.

I’d like to see foot lords get way more buffs towards acting as a general. So Karl on Deathclaw would be about mobility, damage and terror routing while Karl on foot would be about massive buffs to state troops fighting with him. Some sort of inspiration from seeing their emperor fighting with them back to back so they get lots of extra melee attack/defense and leadership, maybe some other stuff depending on the lord. Like state troops fighting within vision of Karl on foot are unbreakable so long as Franz isn’t wavering or worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm bad at basically everything about the battle side of these games lol. Fortunately it's still quite fun to be bad at.