Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I really love how chatty the lords are on the campaign map. The Sisters in particular are fun with their bickering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

yeah that art rules. was never particularly interested in Kislev as a faction but just seeing that has changed my mind

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Can't believe they're actually doing Cathay. Spent so much time scoffing at the idea given that they amounted to like three footnotes from 1994. Very, very excited.

Trailer was sick too, can't wait to play Kislev.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Inspiration is totally cool it's just that nerds in the 80s applied some shallow ethnic stereotypes to factions that also were often evil or at least not as good as the noble European-derived ones and called it a day

Not saying that GW was some sort of secret white supremacist outfit, they were a bunch of dorks dreaming up goofy fantasy races from their own limited point of view. Some stuff just needs a modern second-look, that's all

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

pretty sure the 'mag uruk thraka' thing is just a funny coincidence

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

can't wait for the pygmies expansion

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

There's also the Kerg or Kerghit or whatever. Pretty sure they're supposed to be Mongolians but they worship Chaos and Cathay built a bigass wall to stop them from attacking all the time.

Of course that's also not exactly the best cultural representation but also Mongolians conducted extremely brutal campaigns that killed millions in China and Eastern Europe so I dunno

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I'm still holding out hope for Tilea and Estalia one day. poo poo just hire that dude who made the mod tbh.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I dont know posted:

The evil idiot race is instead based on their own lower class.

yeah but they're white so its cool

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Yeah sseth sucks. I never get the feeling he actually means any of the lovely rear end jokes he makes but he still, you know, makes them. It's that lame early 2000s brush off of 'just a joke bro!'. And like yeah if it was 2007 I'd be right there with him but it's not 2007 anymore so I'm over it

That said he makes a lot less of those lameass jokes then he used to. Which is why I occasionally watch a new one to see if he's stopped with the 4chan poo poo entirely, but he hasn't.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

As clunky as it is I still love Medieval II. If Medieval III was literally just Medieval II with better graphics and better AI I'd be on cloud nine

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Fall of the Samurai casts a pretty big shadow over base Shogun II

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

That's always a worry for me with trying custom factions, too many come off as overpowered. I mean I play on normal because I'm bad and just want to have fun so I don't mind an easy fight but there's a limit.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Azran posted:

Mixu's Elspeth is getting a visual rework and I gotta say it's pretty impressive what modders can do with existing textures and models.

That reminds me, whatever happened to those guys that figured out how import custom models? I feel like it was big news for a minute and then, I dunno, it's almost like CA told them to keep it to themselves lest Games Workshop start calling up lawyers. I know Southern Realms has some custom helmets but I was expecting a lot more.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

The Warhammer II lords making little quips on the campaign map is great. Repanse talking poo poo on the Tomb Kings is great fun

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

what's the Kislev roster expected to be? I assume a pretty big cavalry focus given the Polish/Russian/Steppe mishmash

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I haven't played it but I remember hearing that the Throt - or maybe Drycha? - quest battle played pretty differently, with on-map objectives to smash up rather than just armies. Sounds like that's gonna be the new normal in TW3

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

CA should give you three free therapist visits if you get those achievements

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Yeah that was sick, Kislev definitely going to be my first play

Could do without the green aura on selected units though. Hopefully it can be toggled

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

and most of them sucks rear end tbh

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

the only reason skaven exist is so that Bretonnian infantry has something they can manage to kill, boost their morale a bit

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

As others have alluded to, there will not be only 6 factions in the game. There will be minor factions to deal with and even diplomacy between the two LLs that both Cathay and Kislev will have. If better diplomacy for interacting with my own faction is lacking, my willingness to purchase will be lacking.

Also once the big map comes out there will be, like, twenty different races across two hundred and some factions

I'd like to be able to do diplomacy beyond 'declare war' and 'constantly deny alliances so I don't get dragged in to their dumb wars'

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Jamwad Hilder posted:

looks like it hasn't been updated in a while but it still worked last time I played

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2394331878

Edit: forgot to mention one of the fun ones - Wild Hunt. Basically halfway through the game all the Wood Elf factions turn psycho and aggressive.

drat that looks great, could really use the added variety. Hopefully it still works alright.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

The Anthony Reynolds books are good if you like Bretonnia. Two full novels and then short novellas

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I love those voice clips. Especially the race-specific ones that the legendary lords say while in an enemy's territory. Repanse poo poo-talking Tomb Kings and Skaven dorks is always fun

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Just realised the guy who voice acted Louen Leoncour also did the French generals in Medieval 2. So good

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I'd really like the different maps like in Empire but I know a lot of people hated the way it split things up, and I get that. Still, feel like it'd be a good way to avoid squishing much down.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Didn't the Chaos gods use to be a lot more grey? Like yeah Khorne was about war and killing but also honour and martial prowess or whatever

Can never remember if that's right or just some bad fan lore that got stuck in my head

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Eimi posted:

Ward's saving grace is he's not Gav Thorpe.

Why does Gav Thorpe suck? Only thing I know him from is one Horus Heresy book I really like about Lorgar and the Last Chancers series. Is he like a secret CS Goto or something

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I just don't enjoy higher difficulties for battles because it pushes the ranged unit spam even further into the meta. I like my infantry lines.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Or you'd sally out against a besieging enemy whereupon they'd abandon all their siege equipment and stand a respectful fifty metres away while you destroyed it, making the siege take longer and letting your reinforcements get there

Though I do still like that you could physically ride out of the castle, mess some stuff up, then retreat inside and end the battle. Kind of like an actual siege. The AI was just too dumb to respond to it.

Also personally liked that garrisons were conscious choices rather than tied to buildings, but the AI also couldn't handle that and most of the time the only garrison in their capital was an unaccompanied faction leader who would stand still and die to arrows in the city square.

Medieval II is still my favourite though lmao

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I mean it's not like many people regularly say Astra Militarum or even Asur or Druchii, GW just wanted some names they could actually copyright for once

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Dang, CA might do what GW never could; make Beastmen fun to play

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I like the movement penalties for certain units in historical games but Warhammer features way too many factions that would be totally hosed by that I feel

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Telling brand new players to immediately commit to the grindy meta strategies before anything else is silly. Just go around, fight battles and conquer poo poo. You'll figure it out as you go.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Lt. Lizard posted:

Wait Beast Arises came out like a year ago, right? Two max, no? gently caress..... :stare:

Wait til you remember that the Horus Heresy series started in 2006

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I think they just need to committ entirely to one or the other. Either make it a full-on 4X game that also features cool battles or strip away all but the essentials and double-down on battle stuff. The in-the-middle approach is okay? But it could be a lot better

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Tiler Kiwi posted:

the thing with GW ip stuff is that theyre apparently really huge pains in the rear end to work with. very much, we will review every single line you write and throw random fits over how lore appropriate one thing is or isn't. so big or successful publishers don't really want to bother with that poo poo. instead you get the middling and small ones that either are fanboys of the setting (GW's favorite type of contractor / employee since they can stiff them) or are willing to put up with all the poo poo to get access to the GW namesake to sell their stuff.

Always kinda funny to hear how anal they can be about canon because back when I bought Warhammer books (aside from the rare Abnett inquisitor series) there were a lot of authors who played it pretty fast and loose with canon

Also one guy who plagiarised a Vietnam vet's memoirs for his Warhammer book lmfao

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Maybe they can make it realistic, as soon as you select the Confederates you get a 'You Lose!' screen set to that Northern cover of Dixie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Rogue Armies seem really rare these days. Not that I'm in any rush to have the Chaos Dark Elf spawn in the middle of my country