Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

My Linux Rig posted:

ah yes edge the comedy option of browsers

i have not received any reports of edge loving poo poo up (because nobody uses it lol).

safari, however, is basically guaranteed to break when handling any relatively new protocol in ways that no other browser does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burning swine
May 26, 2004

postin' from the new firefox. confirming it's fast and nice. scrolls a lot smoother than chome/derivatives on this older laptop too.

still can't change the keybindings though 0/10

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

i have not received any reports of edge loving poo poo up (because nobody uses it lol).

safari, however, is basically guaranteed to break when handling any relatively new protocol in ways that no other browser does.

I really like safari on the Mac 💻

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

i have been using the nightly firefox for a while to get these speed improvements
it's good
and the new ui is way nicer too

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I really like safari on the Mac 💻

i only use safari on windows op

it's the best windows app ever made™

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

my stepdads beer posted:

i have been using the nightly firefox for a while to get these speed improvements
it's good
and the new ui is way nicer too

yeah the nightlies have been pretty much usable as one's main browser since extensions started getting updated. before that it was hard to ignore the echo chamber of people screaming about how mozilla was burning all their bridges and making it a locked down mess, but the result just seems to be it working way better than it ever has?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

i just installed this and the performance is good but it broke the SA Last Read addon which is like the only plugin i used

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

so congrats op, you have ruined my life

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
I use chome at work but I have to keep it open too because so much of our stuff is on sharepint and it just doesn't work right in chome, even with ietab

at home it's all Firefox baby

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I use firefox at work because sometimes chrome fetches from google dns when it doesn't like what the local dns gives it and who knows what else it is doing behind the scenes

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

edge fucks up a bunch of super obscure poo poo that basically no one uses except the company I work for

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

i remember when Firefox used to be cool and good :smith:

me too. i also remember when the very first version of chrome came out and blew it out of the water speed wise

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Silver Alicorn posted:

I use firefox at work because sometimes chrome fetches from google dns when it doesn't like what the local dns gives it and who knows what else it is doing behind the scenes

lmao really?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

i look forward to when trying to download ublock gets you a dns redirect to a stern warning from google about how they know where you live and you should just lie back and take what they give you

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
[quote="“Powerful Two-Hander”" post="“476849120”"]
lmao really?
[/quote]

it subtly breaks some of our internal web apps, yes

burning swine
May 26, 2004

akadajet posted:

me too. i also remember when the very first version of chrome came out and blew it out of the water speed wise

saaaaaame

then it spent the next 10 years getting slower and slower

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
chrome is infuriating and unusuable because of the combined address + search bar, good to know firefox is getting even better :toot:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Lysidas posted:

chrome is infuriating and unusuable because of the combined address + search bar, good to know firefox is getting even better :toot:

what? the combined input thing works great

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
Having separate search and url bars let you get search suggestions without sending every url you type to google, which is cool and good.

Rahu fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 28, 2017

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Rahu posted:

Having separate search and url bars let you get search suggestions without sending every url you type to google, which is cool and good.

vivaldi does it best

if i type 'fart' in the address bar i expect to end up at http://fart/ dammit

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
i like being able to type words i vaguely remember from some page's name or address and have firefox return exactly what i'm looking for

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

akadajet posted:

aaah hahaha no

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

vivaldi does it best

if i type 'fart' in the address bar i expect to end up at http://fart/ dammit

yeah in firefox you can totally disable searching from the address bar, as i have done everywhere i use it, its great

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rahu posted:

really who gives a gently caress. oh no they know i searched for "ue4 array functions" or that my kids search for "dantmd tshirt".. having to choose between two bars is bad. you wanna be able to go ctrl-t and instantly start typing and getting exactly what you want. gently caress you and your mother

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lysidas posted:

aaah hahaha no

yeah in firefox you can totally disable searching from the address bar, as i have done everywhere i use it, its great

:spergin:

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

echinopsis posted:

gently caress you and your mother

ok but I'm not paying for it

med school head
Apr 17, 2012

Suspicious posted:

i like being able to type words i vaguely remember from some page's name or address and have firefox return exactly what i'm looking for

yeah firefox has mastered this poo poo for years its still the gota

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Lysidas posted:

perfect! Firefox is keeping it classic

akadajet posted:

perfect! Firefox is making it standard

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

vivaldi does it best

i wish vivaldi was faster but i like it a lot otherwise for daily browse

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Silver Alicorn posted:

yeah seriously gently caress google and gently caress chrome

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

A Pinball Wizard posted:

ok but I'm not paying for it

lol I would totally bone this chick for free, but she paid for my drink and is going to pay me hundreds of dollars

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax
Wots the about:config setting to set the new tab page to about:blank ?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

The XKCD Larper posted:

Wots the about :config setting to set the new tab page to about :blank ?

you can turn most of it off through the ui, but the archwiki of all places has a billion tips on shutting that poo poo down

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Firefox/Tweaks#Turn_off_sponsored_content_and_tiles

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

two more beta pushes and still smooth and stable on my tiny spare linux chromebook. honestly not sure i miss any plugins right now because ublock origin is available so wgaf

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
hmmmm vimium stopped working for me for some reason I may have to dig into the source

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Agile Vector posted:

two more beta pushes and still smooth and stable on my tiny spare linux chromebook. honestly not sure i miss any plugins right now because ublock origin is available so wgaf

yeah that's really the only addon that matters. i do miss being able to press 'J' to go to the next page on SA though :\

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax

Agile Vector posted:

you can turn most of it off through the ui, but the archwiki of all places has a billion tips on shutting that poo poo down

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Firefox/Tweaks#Turn_off_sponsored_content_and_tiles

Set everything with browser.newtabpage.directory.* to blank, still getting the page with all this dumb poo poo

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

The XKCD Larper posted:

Set everything with browser.newtabpage.directory.* to blank, still getting the page with all this dumb poo poo

drat. i looked at what i had changed and its basically almost anything newtab related, including (apparently) setting the number of rows and columns to 0. still cant get rid of the two icons but its a bit neater

https://imgur.com/1Fwrcs9

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

wow this new browser actually is ridiculously fast

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

The XKCD Larper posted:

is this only an issue with 58+?

seeing this on 57

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax
I disabled everything with newtabpage and snippets in the name and it worked

• Locked thread