Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
folks.... zfs

it really whips the llama's rear end, if you know what i mean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
zfs is good. too bad it's owned by oracle, which is bad.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
you knwo what i say about zfs

gotta have it

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

The Management posted:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

zero
files
stored

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

its pretty good

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i still don't care about file systems

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
I like my zetabyte file system op

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe
zfs is good

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
copy on write snapshots are great. if you've got a dataset that's huge and constantly changing, you can maintain multiple branches with minimal extra storage. much more practical and faster to deal with than having multiple copies of few hundred gigs each.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

oracle lost a boat race

now they are butt hurt because they dont want to race their dumb boat in the mighty nation of new zealand

also nz changed their boat design to some non-zfs design

:qq:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
in killing Solaris did Oracle lay off everyone involved with ZFS?

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

btrfs

it's a.. uh.. better fs

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

The Management posted:

i take it this means it'll never be free open source software?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The Management posted:

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
zfs is dumb poo poo for clown school dropouts. yeah let me use this weird old file system thats maintained by ONE poor linux guy and STILL doesnt support extending an array

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

apfs

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
[quote="“Boiled Water”" post="“476811646”"]
i take it this means it’ll never be free open source software?
[/quote]

sun open sourced it before oracle bought them. but if you use it in a product that makes real money oracle lawyers will show up at your door and ask for patent payments.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I suggest using ReiserFS, the file system from Hans Reiser, who murdered his wife.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
made by a guy so smart that he turned his assured acquittal into a slam-dunk conviction by just testifying

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
NTFS is still the best all purpose file system.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Luigi Thirty posted:

I suggest using ReiserFS, the file system from Hans Reiser, who murdered his wife.

anything is better than zfs & the lonely linux guy

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

btrfs convert now supports reiserfs, so you can switch to a non-murder fs without format

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Maximum Leader posted:

STILL doesnt support extending an array

wait is that true because lol

Shaggar posted:

NTFS is still the best all purpose file system.

similar lol because no RAID 6 and still no support for expanding arrays

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
lmbo who runs windows software RAID

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

lmbo who runs windows software RAID

no one because the best it can do is raid 5 and even then it can't expand them to include new disks

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

wait is that true because lol

similar lol because no RAID 6 and still no support for expanding arrays

that's not ntfs tho. that's the software raid controller which sits below ntfs.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I mean reiserFS seemed very cool and interesting at the time, too bad about the murders, but really what's a little murder if you got a good fs out of it ?

did Microsoft ever come out with their WindowsFS thing

mystes
May 31, 2006

Tankakern posted:

btrfs convert now supports reiserfs, so you can switch to a non-murder fs without format
btrfs is also a murder fs, it just murders data rather than people

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
put your mongodb on btrfs for multilayer data disintegrity

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Reiser partitioned his wife

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:
openzfs for when you need something to do with your old sandy bridge i5, just shove a bunch of disks into it and let the glory of sun microsystems wash over your media files

NeoHentaiMaster
Jul 13, 2004
More well adjusted then you'd think.
zfs is good. BRING MONEY.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

goose willis posted:

Reiser partitioned his wife

and got raided

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i like exFAT, i guess

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe
you, stupid and misinformed: *throws 10 disks into a raidz1 and calls it a day*
me, enlightened and wise: *takes 10 disks, makes 5 mirror vdevs, adds an ssd for zil/slog*

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe
almost every problem with zfs can be resolved by not doing it wrong

also don't use dedup because it eats too much memory and it's probably gonna get rewritten

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

i like exFAT, i guess
I guess you like owing Microsoft patent royalties, then.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's okay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

i like exFAT, i guess

its what i strive to be

• Locked thread