Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Hav posted:

I think you're being a little short-sighted here, because sheet-form ketchup is only a stepping stone to other structural ketchup forms, such as the tube.

This then opens up an entire world of ketchup-tube stuffed foods, but why stop there. Mayhap a spherical enclosure, finally answering the question that the world has perhaps been asking itself sometimes, what would a cheese-stuffed ketchup profiterole taste like, and how could it promote world peace?

We've labored under the tyranny of pasta for a long time, but this could presage the rise of a new order in processed food stuffs.
A hot dog covered in mustard, sealed inside a tube of ketchup.

I'm unsure how to disrupt the bun ecosystem to synergise with this but I'm sure someone will kickstart something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Facebook Aunt posted:

I wonder what the problem was? Was it the $1 funding goal? At that point it's just a storefront, you're not even pretending to be fundraising.

I wonder if it's this:

quote:

We have 500 units in stock, ready to be shipped.
Makes it pretty clear that no crowdfunding is required for the item, he's just ordered a bunch of ceramic knives off Aliexpress and is now trying to sell them at an insane markup via Kickstarter.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sunswipe posted:

I wonder if it's this:
Makes it pretty clear that no crowdfunding is required for the item, he's just ordered a bunch of ceramic knives off Aliexpress and is now trying to sell them at an insane markup via Kickstarter.

It's quite elegant when you think about it.

<starts on alibaba.com>

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Facebook Aunt posted:

I wonder what the problem was? Was it the $1 funding goal? At that point it's just a storefront, you're not even pretending to be fundraising.

Those knives already exist, and they're 35 bucks.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Palpek posted:

They're saying that it doesn't get soaked up by the bread which I guess would be a thing if I was waiting like an hour after making a sandwich to eat it or if ketchup packets that are thrown at you for free everywhere weren't a solution to literally all situations where you need to eat your food later. Every other argument doesn't come close to making sense.

Isn't that the essence of marketing - inventing a problem people don't actually have and then presenting the solution?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

iospace posted:

Those knives already exist, and they're 35 bucks.

Well, yes, but lots of things on kickstarter already exist and are available on amazon for half the price. Like with half the kitchen gadgets I go "great idea, my grandma had one of those."

Oh, you meant this exact knife. https://slicedicekitchen.com/ lol

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Facebook Aunt posted:

Like with half the kitchen gadgets I go "great idea, my grandma had one of those."

So, not a scam, or even a crowdfunded device, but it's something that struck me as quite funny. The sodastream is now being pimped by Jillian Micheals.

Back in the 1970s, it was the cheap home way to make soda, but taking some horrific offbrand syrup, water and CO2 injection never really caught on the massive way that it should.

Now, apparently they've gone with the high juice syrups and re-invented for the fitness generation. - https://www.sodastreamusa.com/Orange-Fruit-Drop-P1022.aspx

I got triggered by mention of Grandma, as mine would come from the National Home and Garden exhibition with _every possible unigadget_ you could think of.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Jason Sextro posted:

Isn't that the essence of marketing - inventing a problem people don't actually have and then presenting the solution?
Yeah but it's what I'd expect from As Seen On TV not Kickstarter. I mean, I expect it at this point but I shouldn't have to.

Frank_Leroux
Mar 24, 2018

Has anybody done this one? I feel like somebody has done this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtpKjgwi4Sc

Smoothies AND omelettes? Be still my beating heart...

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Frank_Leroux posted:

I prefer this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5Gn8jt55LQ

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Gonna go on record here with “nothing should ever be called the ‘baby bullet’ ever.”

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Beet Wagon posted:

Gonna go on record here with “nothing should ever be called the ‘baby bullet’ ever.”

Not even bullets to shoot babies with? Come on!

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Frank_Leroux posted:

Can it make an omelette smoothie?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Does it come with a thing for prising your rear end in a top hat open when you've eaten too many eggs?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8inphpeXSg

Frank_Leroux
Mar 24, 2018

Sunswipe posted:

Does it come with a thing for prising your rear end in a top hat open when you've eaten too many eggs?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8inphpeXSg

No, but speaking of anus-like egg accessories have you seen THIS? Not crowdfunded, but it's 'As-Seen-On-TV' which is close enough:

Yes, you've been cooking eggs the WRONG way all these years! You need to turn them into a weird fleshy cylinder that you can shove into your mouth!

Anyway, you can see one get taken apart by a half-drunk Canadian here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydwaz2oPWY0

The build quality is shockingly bad. Hard to believe, I know.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Frank_Leroux posted:

No, but speaking of anus-like egg accessories have you seen THIS? Not crowdfunded, but it's 'As-Seen-On-TV' which is close enough:

Yes, you've been cooking eggs the WRONG way all these years! You need to turn them into a weird fleshy cylinder that you can shove into your mouth!

Anyway, you can see one get taken apart by a half-drunk Canadian here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydwaz2oPWY0

The build quality is shockingly bad. Hard to believe, I know.

I vaguely remember these because of Ashens doing a goofy as hell Star Wars bit after waiting for his knock-off version to poo poo an egg out. You guys know the Slapchop is still around? Had a family member buy one for some reason. They're pretty terrible looking.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Obligatory with any Rollie mention:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxaSnVVV-QU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I remember seeing the Rollie in this Alton Brown video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgFeVlw2Ywg

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Sunswipe posted:

I remember seeing the Rollie in this Alton Brown video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgFeVlw2Ywg
I bought those claw things on a whim because they were cheap, and they're less effective than a pair of forks and a lot harder to clean because of their various concave bits.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Elysiume posted:

I bought those claw things on a whim because they were cheap, and they're less effective than a pair of forks and a lot harder to clean because of their various concave bits.

I'm tickled that you can still buy the soda stream. In the seventies, you produced the worst knock-off cola imagineable, but your Nan had one for the promise of cheap on demand soda. Turn of the century and they're going with high juices and trying to re-invent the device itself.

Now they have Jillian Micheals, 'fitness harridan', pushing them as a water spritzer.

I have the sandwich maker.

I are stuipd. It works well enough with a muffin and some form of separating out the egg layer, but true to the whole unitasker problem, it's actually more trouble than it's worth. I'm planning to shift it like the equivalent of a gypsy curse at a garage sale.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00t50uHS68k

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/tastetro-spice-system-vegan#/

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Hey that's, not as bad as usual? I mean they say you can customize these spices and replace them in the rack which is not completely stupid?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kikas posted:

Hey that's, not as bad as usual? I mean they say you can customize these spices and replace them in the rack which is not completely stupid?

I believe "customize" means "order different spices from them".

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

TasteTro sounds like the name of the lamest GI Joe

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
He's got like, a wrist launcher with a pepper grinder on it instead of rockets

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Indeed, 'customize' all you like.

quote:

Can I load my own spices in the pods?

In the beginning, we asked ourselves if we were an appliance company or a spice company. In the numerous in-home research interviews we conducted, we consistently found people using old spices. To have people expect mouthwatering spice blends from loading their old spices into the appliance would lead to disappointment and not the experience we want to deliver.

TasteTro's spices and herbs are of a premium gourmet quality, procured in smaller batches from only the most trusted sources. All pods are sealed and uniquely identified through the RFID label.

Can I load my own salt?

Yes. Salt is one of the most common ingredients in many spice blends. We have designed a unique dispensing pod in the middle that can be refilled as needed. We will offer online and recommend using sea salt. Trying to avoid salt? No worries, TasteTro has created many delicious salt-free blends.

The total non-answers (they can't even answer the question they asked themselves in the beginning*) are only made better by imagining the exasperated tone you can imagine people use when asking about salt.

Speaking of which, compare the note about salt with what they say in the intro:

quote:

People often rely on bottled short-cuts, prepared meals and takeout as time savers to address that dreaded daily question. Packaged and processed foods are generally sodium rich and loaded with unwanted ingredients.

The device would very nearly have utility if you could refill it and program your own blend for a given recipe, but the first is right out and the second is only something that's their 'intention' to add in an update.

*To which the answer is, "we want to be a printer ink company, but that market is shrinking".

Kangra fucked around with this message at 20:37 on May 22, 2018

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
You open your presents at Christmas and you try not to cry--you got TasteTro and his tactical food cart

Your friend at school got Storm Shadow and Snake Eyes; he'll never respect you again

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Foo Diddley posted:

He's got like, a wrist launcher with a pepper grinder on it instead of rockets

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

This thing kinda seems like an okay idea, except that its whole selling point is that it'll mix you up a tablespoon of "fajita mix" which, like... if you're the kind of person who doesn't mix up their own seasonings, you probably just bought this already anyway, I mean they're like 2 for $1.00

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I hope that becomes wildly successful so it can be hacked in amusing ways.

Not like hacked in the cool project or weird nerd poo poo way, I mean "I asked for salt and it mixed in terrifying foreign spices and my family is held hostage to its mad spice whims" ways. Because of course the people who would buy it are the people who are terrified of spices.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Frank_Leroux posted:

The MagicBullet™ was fantastic. Ours lasted years and it was great for making single-serve milkshakes. I miss it very much.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Foo Diddley posted:

You open your presents at Christmas and you try not to cry--you got TasteTro and his tactical food cart

He saving the world from bland foods, you monster. In a world of low sodium snacks, he's the only one that can 'spice' things up.

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.
exposing spices to light

calusari fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 30, 2018

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I am late to this thread, but since everyone's talking about horrible, scammy, kitchen gadgets, here's a video by AvE wherein he disassembles and figures out how the Juicero works. You know, the 400$ machine that needs WiFi and squeezes juice packages for you slower than you'd do by hand. Basically the company took their absolutely terrible business idea and made sure every single component was made of the highest quality. If I understand AvE correctly, some of the parts are actually worth much more than the entire machine itself - just a shame that none of that was necessary.

And aside from being completely and utterly pointless, the machine is actually quite a work of art. Think some of these scams exist because some portions of society have become so bored and wealthy that they just don't know what else to splurge money on anymore except making overengineered juice presses. Basically make stuff exclusive and expensive just for expensiveness's sake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Cp-BGQfpHQ

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

This isn't... strictly a kitchen gadget. In fact, I'm not actually sure what this should best be described as. But it was under the "food" section on KS and it's making me have an existential crisis:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1031226847/man-paste-2-in-1-hair-pomade-and-toothpaste?ref=category&ref=discovery

I mean props to the dude for exploding his own kickstarter literally in the description -

quote:

The biggest risks that I can see are that maybe people will be creeped out by a combo of pomade and toothpaste and getting the right balance of flavor and fragrance. The formula is not a risk at all in my opinion. Also, the engineering process is not very complicated and I have very specific machinery picked out. I also have a prime location ready with the electricity already set for industrial applications.

- but I can't stop laughing at the fact that all his pledge tiers are marketed towards the blue-collar everyguy liberal hair pomade enthusiast who also appreciates millennial fad foods and has techbro money, with tiers like:

- Working Man

- Blue Collar

- The Bernie Sanders

- The Black Garlic Tier

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Lord Stimperor posted:

I am late to this thread, but since everyone's talking about horrible, scammy, kitchen gadgets, here's a video by AvE wherein he disassembles and figures out how the Juicero works. You know, the 400$ machine that needs WiFi and squeezes juice packages for you slower than you'd do by hand. Basically the company took their absolutely terrible business idea and made sure every single component was made of the highest quality. If I understand AvE correctly, some of the parts are actually worth much more than the entire machine itself - just a shame that none of that was necessary.

And aside from being completely and utterly pointless, the machine is actually quite a work of art. Think some of these scams exist because some portions of society have become so bored and wealthy that they just don't know what else to splurge money on anymore except making overengineered juice presses. Basically make stuff exclusive and expensive just for expensiveness's sake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Cp-BGQfpHQ

AvE has some pretty informative videos. It's a shame he tries too hard to have inappropriate humor in his videos.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Lladre posted:

AvE has some pretty informative videos. It's a shame he tries too hard to have inappropriate humor in his videos.

I think it's a genuine compulsion of his.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

drat, most of the kitchen gadgets posted have been straight up garbage and funny, but this one actually is sort of upsetting because it's so near and dear to my stupid, moronic heart.

Anybody who has spent any amount of time near a beard-having, IPA drinking millennial has no doubt heard of the glory of cast iron cookware. I've been known to extol its virtues from time to time myself, despite my genetic inability to grow a beard and the hapsburg-like lack of function in my liver and kidneys. It's true - cast iron pans and pots are wonderful instruments to cook with, and you should probably have one. Luckily, any loving dipshit can buy a cast iron pan from pretty much anywhere these days, at really reasonable costs! Now, it wouldn't be a millennial food obsession if it didn't come with some kind of bizarre belief that "things from the past are better," which has put a premium on old Wagner and Griswold pans, making them essentially the "holy grail" of cast iron. Old pans, it is said, have far better nonstick properties than their newer cousins.

Why? Well, it depends on who you ask. You might hear that there was a better formula for the iron, which has been lost to time. You might hear that the casting methods were different (read: better), resulting in perfectly smooth cast iron cookware that was just as strong at half the weight. You might hear that Hattori Hanzo personally hand-folded each Griswold pan 4000 times during forging. But the real answer is that older pans were thinner and smoother because they were machined. That's it. So, if they don't make machined cast iron pans any more, but lots of people want them, it would seem like there's a business opportunity there, right? Right!

Enter Nest Homeware, makers of fine machined cast iron pans.

These guys are bringing the old school back, machining their cast iron pans to perfect smoothness, for that old Hanzo feel, hell yeah! There's just one problem: they decided they needed an artsy handle and now their pans look like poo poo and take up way more room than they should:

Okay, that's a minor gripe, sure. But hey, a fully machined pan (they go up the sidewalls and everything!) has got to be worth the $165 asking price right? You're not just gonna cook on a $30 Lodge like a loving imbecile, are you?

Welllllllll about that. Here's the thing: the whole reason cast iron pans work is because of what's called 'seasoning' - which is a thin layer of polymerized fat that has bonded to the iron in the pan. This hard layer fills in the microscopic crevices in the pan and forms a semi non-stick layer that makes your fried eggs slide around, granting cast iron its mythical "never stick" properties (which is actually kind of a myth). So what does all this machining result in? Well.... kind of a fat load of nothing, actually. Because of the seasoning process, all but the largest cracks end up getting filled in with seasoning, meaning that how smooth your pan was in the beginning has little effect on how smooth it is after the seasoning process. Because seasoning is generally (unless you gently caress it up) an additive process, the reason older pans are "better" than newer ones is because they have decades of seasoning built up, not because they're smoother.

As Nest so helpfully points out, seasoning (and therefore time) is the key factor here, not smoothness.

"Okay, but like... I haven't had enough of you rambling about cast iron mythology," you ask. "Is there some other reason this sucks that you can be pedantic about?"

Good question, friend. Of course there is!

Nest purports to season their pans with flaxseed oil, which is commonly hailed as the "Jesus Patch" of cast iron seasoning by idiots. In reality, flaxseed oil makes a really good looking coat of seasoning that is incredibly fragile and will flake off almost immediately. Despite all the theorycrafting on cooking blogs, the easiest and best oil to use for seasoning your pan is regular-rear end vegetable, canola, or corn oil. Also, Nest says they use some kind of patented double-seasoning technique whereby they season the outside at a different temperature than the inside, which is uhhhhh nonsense. They're selling you a pan with a lovely handle, a fragile layer of seasoning you'll almost definitely have to re-do, and some magic. Cool.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Those weird-rear end handles look super uncomfortable to hold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I have a Lodge. I use it for pizza. I also have a ceramic coated dutch oven I use for bread and occasionally soup and chili.