Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

megane posted:

Those weird-rear end handles look super uncomfortable to hold.

Honestly despite the flaxseed nonsense I was pretty on board until I saw the handle, because I just really like cast iron poo poo. Like, I get that you want to be artsy and poo poo but come on, there is nothing more practical than the normal pan style

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

makers of fine machined cast iron pans.

<starts laughing>

iospace posted:

I have a Lodge. I use it for pizza. I also have a ceramic coated dutch oven I use for bread and occasionally soup and chili.

I have a Lodge, and use it for anything where I need a high temperature because drat, this aluminum poo poo warps easily.

Edit: I do have nice things to say about that woven copper matting you can get for the grill; Still transfers heat, stops all the juices hitting the burners.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I have... three different lodges? A big pan, a dutch oven, and a little pan I rescued from a campsite and refurbished. Lodge makes good poo poo.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The nice thing is despite El Cheeto's best efforts, Lodge should stay cheap. They've been using US sourced iron and make the non-ceramic coated pans in the US. The ceramic stuff is made overseas, because they said they couldn't find a US company to do it.

I wonder why :thunk:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Beet Wagon posted:

But the real answer is that older pans were thinner

That seems like it would gently caress up one of the things that makes cast iron good: the huge thermal mass you get from 5 pounds of iron. The heat retention means you cook stuff evenly and don't have big temperature drops when you flip your steak or chops over. Also cast iron has nasty hot spots when it's thin.

Cast iron is good but the Cast Iron Fad is stupid and I really do wonder how much of it ends up shoved into the back of the pots & pans drawer when people find that the "naturally non-stick" pan is anything but. The only true non-stick surface is teflon, everything else sticks to some degree. Most of what prevents sticking is temperature and technique, not which brand of oil you season with.

I use a stainless steel pan like 80% of the time because a lot of the things I make involve tomatoes and don't want to baby something that has to worry about acid. Stainless is the worst for sticking but if you pay attention and practice you learn to minimize it.

(I kinda disagree with you about the flax oil thing btw. Yes the rep is overblown and it's not really any better than any other seasoning; they're all the same once the oil has fully polymerized. But it really is a faster & easier re-season for a pan that got stripped. And I've never seen it flake off, I can only imagine way too much oil was used for that to happen. I have a carbon steel pan and getting some flax oil was absolutely what allowed me to keep a good surface on it. Plus you can use it to re-finish wood too!)

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Indeed, shaving down your cast iron does make it less of what you'd consider a traditional cast iron pan. Usually you don't lose all that much mass when you machine them down like that, but you definitely lose some, which kind of defeats the purpose.

Agree to disagree on flaxseed oil, I've used it a bunch of times and while it makes for a really nice looking base layer of seasoning, in my experience nothing hangs on like regular old vegetable oil. In any case though, it's definitely not the be-all-end-all oil people think it is, for cast iron seasoning at least. Although this does remind me that I worked in a hardware store right around the time the whole stupid cast iron fad started and we had about a dude a week come in and buy a jug of boiled linseed oil for their pans.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Beet Wagon posted:

It also depends on whether or not there's any kind of coating on the copper. I mean, since this thing looks like it's made in the closet next to a meth lab I assume there isn't, but I know it's generally frowned upon to smoke things out of copper pipes, so I assume that applies to drinking coffee you cook with a blowtorch out of them also.

also lmao at googling "don't smoke a copper pipe" and one of the search suggestions is "Can you smoke crack out of a copper pipe" like dude I think you have bigger issues.

Reminds me of my hippy cousin (before medical/legal production) who was really big about organic but smoked tons of weed and dabbled in just about everything else.

Don’t think drug farmers care too much about that “GMO free Organic” sticker

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

I was on board with the shaving the inside, some of the cheaper cast iron pans have a texture that rougher then a horned lizard, but those handles are unforgivable.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
A few long disproven myths about cast iron being repeated here! Here's a quick primer:

https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/11/the-truth-about-cast-iron.html

quote:

Myth #2: "Cast iron heats really evenly."

Actually, cast iron is terrible at heating evenly. The thermal conductivity—the measure of a material's ability to transfer heat from one part to another—is around a third to a quarter that of a material like aluminum. What does this mean? Throw a cast iron skillet on a burner and you end up forming very clear hot spots right on top of where the flames are, while the rest of the pan remains relatively cool.

The main advantage of cast iron is that it has very high volumetric heat capacity, which means that once it's hot, it stays hot.

quote:

Myth #6: "Modern cast iron is just as good as old cast iron. It's all the same material, after all."

The material may be the same, but the production methods have changed. In the old days, cast iron pans were produced by casting in sand-based molds, then polishing the resulting pebbly surfaces until smooth. Vintage cast iron tends to have a satiny smooth finish. By the 1950s, as production scaled up and was streamlined, this final polishing step was dropped from the process. The result? Modern cast iron retains that bumpy, pebbly surface.

If I had the time, I'd love to sand and polish my (lodge) cast iron. But I would not like to buy those machined cast iron pans. God, those handles loving suck.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

So what I'm hearing is that cast iron is the cooking equivalent of buying a five-hundred-buck limited edition artisanal hand-engraved titanium alloy audio jack instead of using a worthless mass-produced one like an animal, god, any REAL music lover can EASILY hear the difference in quality

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

megane posted:

So what I'm hearing is that cast iron is the cooking equivalent of buying a five-hundred-buck limited edition artisanal hand-engraved titanium alloy audio jack instead of using a worthless mass-produced one like an animal, god, any REAL music lover can EASILY hear the difference in quality

A little bit, but less of the audiophile snake oil and more a bunch of nerd cooks trying to scientifically analyze poo poo that worked just fine for 100s of years before the nerds came along.

But the music comparison is really apt in one way: the actual professionals don't use any of that poo poo. Go into a restaurant kitchen and you will see zero cast iron. They use stainless because you can't put cast iron through a commercial dishwasher. The secret is that if you use enough butter, everything is a non-stick pan.

And if you think the cast iron stuff is dumb, you should see people going on about their hittori hanzo chefs knives. :jerkbag:

Beet Wagon posted:

we had about a dude a week come in and buy a jug of boiled linseed oil for their pans.

Mmmmm, lead and cadmium! So tasty!

(Furniture finish linseed oil is the same thing as flax oil, but with various metal salts added to speed up the curing time. Because it's annoying to wait 3-5 days before putting on another coat, and people rarely eat off their chair seat.)

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Slanderer posted:

A few long disproven myths about cast iron being repeated here! Here's a quick primer:

https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/11/the-truth-about-cast-iron.html

If I had the time, I'd love to sand and polish my (lodge) cast iron. But I would not like to buy those machined cast iron pans. God, those handles loving suck.

lmfao dude why you posting half the quote?

quote:

The material may be the same, but the production methods have changed. In the old days, cast iron pans were produced by casting in sand-based molds, then polishing the resulting pebbly surfaces until smooth. Vintage cast iron tends to have a satiny smooth finish. By the 1950s, as production scaled up and was streamlined, this final polishing step was dropped from the process. The result? Modern cast iron retains that bumpy, pebbly surface.

The difference is more minor than you may think. So long as you've seasoned your pan properly, both vintage and modern cast iron should take on a nice non-stick surface, but your modern cast iron will never be quite as non-stick as the vintage stuff.

I ground down the inside of my lodge, it ain't worth it btw

e:

Klyith posted:

Mmmmm, lead and cadmium! So tasty!

(Furniture finish linseed oil is the same thing as flax oil, but with various metal salts added to speed up the curing time. Because it's annoying to wait 3-5 days before putting on another coat, and people rarely eat off their chair seat.)

It even says not food safe on the bottle, but they'd buy it anyway. I wonder how many of those dudes are gonna die early cause of some dumb poo poo they read on www dot thecastironchef dot com

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Sep 22, 2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Klyith posted:

And if you think the cast iron stuff is dumb, you should see people going on about their hittori hanzo chefs knives. :jerkbag:

I have one knife I swear by, but the reason I'm so sharp (:haw:) on it is because it's the only knife that's long enough to cut the loaves of bread I make. I had an Oxo knife that didn't quite...

cut it
:dadjoke:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

megane posted:

Not entirely, the people with the FAQs forget that there are different cooking methods, and that we've been skillet cooking on multi-fuel surfaces for loving _ever_. There's also come weird lack of knowledge over the reasons for using stainless over carbon that have everything to do with cooking covers and the practicality of different materials.

And, you know, not cooking daily with more butter than Paula Dean. It's certainly not spending huge amounts of money on things like _allclad_ because the poo poo you put in your mouth is more important than the pot you cook in.

I like the latent heat capacity of my Lodge for offsetting the poo poo that is a halogen cooker.

Beet Wagon posted:

It even says not food safe on the bottle, but they'd buy it anyway. I wonder how many of those dudes are gonna die early cause of some dumb poo poo they read on www dot thecastironchef dot com

Food 'science' is it's whole own field and set of insanity.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Enamel cast iron is nice to cook with. Expensive as poo poo though.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Hav posted:

Food 'science' is it's whole own field and set of insanity.
https://twitter.com/BDSixsmith/status/1045611673049067520

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Loomer posted:

Enamel cast iron is nice to cook with. Expensive as poo poo though.

Lodge (who else :v:) makes some decent enamelware cast iron that's not crazy expensive. Not as good enamel quality as a le creuset but lol at paying $300 for a pot. Maybe if I had kids to pass it down to.

I really want the lodge enamel dutch oven but I don't have a lot of kitchen storage space. Enamel is the way to go for a dutch oven.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Klyith posted:

Lodge (who else :v:) makes some decent enamelware cast iron that's not crazy expensive. Not as good enamel quality as a le creuset but lol at paying $300 for a pot. Maybe if I had kids to pass it down to.

I really want the lodge enamel dutch oven but I don't have a lot of kitchen storage space. Enamel is the way to go for a dutch oven.

My dad had a loving giant set of le creuset and when he passed away my mother threw it all out because it was from the 70s and a weird shade of orange and she wanted some nice new stuff. She also emptied a bunch of priceless scotch down the sink because she thought it was too old and too strong for anyone (cask strength bottled in a distillery that was destroyed in WWII, so the rarity value was off the scale). I have a bunch of cheap but weighty cast iron skillets and grill pans for searing stuff; it's the only type of pan that will get properly hot on my halogen hobs.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

cynic posted:

My dad had a loving giant set of le creuset and when he passed away my mother threw it all out because it was from the 70s and a weird shade of orange and she wanted some nice new stuff. She also emptied a bunch of priceless scotch down the sink because she thought it was too old and too strong for anyone (cask strength bottled in a distillery that was destroyed in WWII, so the rarity value was off the scale). I have a bunch of cheap but weighty cast iron skillets and grill pans for searing stuff; it's the only type of pan that will get properly hot on my halogen hobs.

i have one le creuset cookware article, it’s a real pretty but hideously expensive tea pot my mom gave me for Christmas. Wish she gave me the pans already, they’re like patek philippe watches: you need a second mortgage to afford a new set and you merely look after it for the next generation

what did those pans ever do to your mom though

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I have a staub pan which is basically le creuset but cheaper and it's super good. I also bought unseasoned cast iron pots and pans from local ironworkers for like 20 dollars a piece and they're every bit as good if you take proper care of them. Don't overpay for cast iron, it's not that hard.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Old Binsby posted:

i have one le creuset cookware article, it’s a real pretty but hideously expensive tea pot my mom gave me for Christmas. Wish she gave me the pans already, they’re like patek philippe watches: you need a second mortgage to afford a new set and you merely look after it for the next generation

what did those pans ever do to your mom though

My dad was a chef, and spent a fortune on cookware, had a cupboard containing nothing but wholes spices, used to hang meat in the garage and all that good stuff. My mom prefers eating out and is sometimes the worlds worst cook (she has been known to mix up salt/sugar or replace ingredients with completely different and inappropriate ones. My wife refuses to eat her cooking now after a few unfortunate family meals). She just didn't see the point, it was too heavy for her, so she put thousands of $ worth of casserole dishes and pans in the garbage.

Yes I am bitter. I love to cook and I would have used the hell out of that stuff.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

throwing away le creuset to own the... well kinda everyone I guess lol

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Weirdly, Jordan of Peterson is pushing his daughters salt and meat diet, and i’m hoping for scurvy.

Turps drinking, anyone?

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2018/09/25/drinking-poison-turpentine-health-craze

Sorta intersects with the Linseed insanos.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

If you'd told me it was the latest health fad, I would've assumed people just rubbing it on their skin, but drinking?

I notice the editor put the image from the hardware store clearly labelled as "pure gum spirits" right before the reporter says, "It's not the stuff you find in the hardware store, it's pure gum spirits!"

I use Tecnu regularly after poison oak/urushiol exposure, and that's pretty much the same thing at its base, but I wouldn't dream of putting it in my mouth.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Kangra posted:

If you'd told me it was the latest health fad, I would've assumed people just rubbing it on their skin, but drinking?

I notice the editor put the image from the hardware store clearly labelled as "pure gum spirits" right before the reporter says, "It's not the stuff you find in the hardware store, it's pure gum spirits!"

I use Tecnu regularly after poison oak/urushiol exposure, and that's pretty much the same thing at its base, but I wouldn't dream of putting it in my mouth.

One of the tragic/amusing parts of the aromatherapy fad was finding that orange oil, a toxin, was more readily absorbed by the skin than was first thought. Some people play a little too fast and loose with some chemicals because it takes a few months for exposure to build up, rather than causing injury immediately.

See also Egyptian lead based cosmetics and arsenic bleaching powders. Counter: Churchill's crack lozenges. History gets a pass because they don't know any better.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013

Hav posted:

One of the tragic/amusing parts of the aromatherapy fad was finding that orange oil, a toxin, was more readily absorbed by the skin than was first thought. Some people play a little too fast and loose with some chemicals because it takes a few months for exposure to build up, rather than causing injury immediately.

See also Egyptian lead based cosmetics and arsenic bleaching powders. Counter: Churchill's crack lozenges. History gets a pass because they don't know any better.

Wait, is aromatherapy orange oil the same as the orange oil in my furniture polish? My google-fu is weak, and I can't find a comparison, just one or the other. I'm pretty sure the one in furniture polish isn't from fruit-orange trees, too.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

GoodyTwoShoes posted:

Wait, is aromatherapy orange oil the same as the orange oil in my furniture polish? My google-fu is weak, and I can't find a comparison, just one or the other. I'm pretty sure the one in furniture polish isn't from fruit-orange trees, too.

Yeah, furniture polish with orange oil is from oranges. It's a cheap by-product of all the oranges that go into orange juice.

It's a lousy furniture polish though. It's a terpene, which is a super-common class of light oil molecules that also includes turpentine. They're ok as a de-greaser but they leave a film of oil on stuff, which isn't actually good as a polish. It feels glossy right after you use it. It doesn't fill scratches like a wax polish, it evaporates.

Use murphy's to clean wood furniture. If you need to repair scratches or finish use a wax polish, or flax oil (but only with compatible finishes).

edit: I'm also not seeing that orange oil is a toxin, just a skin irritant. orange / lemon oil is used in food, like when zesting a lemon.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 3, 2018

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
Thank you. I don't polish as often as I'm supposed to (it's every 5 years, right?), so my hands are safe from irritants. Whew.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

lol you guys don't know poo poo, I'm gonna go chug this Pledge to get rid of the toxins in my body

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Beet Goblin posted:

lol you guys don't know poo poo, I'm gonna go chug this Pledge to get rid of the toxins in my body

That sounds dangerous, but maybe I'm just a stooge for Big Medicine.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Klyith posted:

Yeah, furniture polish with orange oil is from oranges. It's a cheap by-product of all the oranges that go into orange juice.

It's a lousy furniture polish though. It's a terpene, which is a super-common class of light oil molecules that also includes turpentine. They're ok as a de-greaser but they leave a film of oil on stuff, which isn't actually good as a polish. It feels glossy right after you use it. It doesn't fill scratches like a wax polish, it evaporates.

Use murphy's to clean wood furniture. If you need to repair scratches or finish use a wax polish, or flax oil (but only with compatible finishes).

edit: I'm also not seeing that orange oil is a toxin, just a skin irritant. orange / lemon oil is used in food, like when zesting a lemon.

I can’t find the reference myself, so i might have misremebered, but essential oils are a little bit more refined than food oils.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

cynic posted:

I have a Le Creuset casserole (maybe you guys call them dutch ovens?) and griddle pan but I think they might be a bit cheaper in Europe anyway. My parents have some classic orange Le Creuset from the 70's which is still in great condition almost 50 years later. Throwing it out should be criminal.

Been making some great sourdough loaves in the Le Creuset recently, it's really great.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
https://rotimatic.com

The roticero actually looks to have been moderately successful, despite nebulous feature roadmaps promising autopilot via software update. Pretty sure you could bribe someone’s grandma to make a shitload of roti for a thousand bucks though.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

https://rotimatic.com

The roticero actually looks to have been moderately successful, despite nebulous feature roadmaps promising autopilot via software update. Pretty sure you could bribe someone’s grandma to make a shitload of roti for a thousand bucks though.

lol love to have a device the size of a large microwave for one specific use

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Goblin posted:

lol love to have a device the size of a large microwave for one specific use

*slaps the roof of his air fryer*

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

megane posted:

It's fine if you know how to use it. I appreciate how long it holds onto heat for, and you can easily use it in the oven. I make cornbread and German pancakes and such with mine. Good for fajitas too. Think of it like a wok: a lot of people who have them aren't necessarily using them right.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Get those artsy fartsy pan handles away from my eyes - ugly as sin, a rustic loving nightmare. Holy poo poo gently caress those, I'm angry.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Palpek posted:

Get those artsy fartsy pan handles away from my eyes - ugly as sin, a rustic loving nightmare. Holy poo poo gently caress those, I'm angry.

I'm ashamed to say that even after going through a "I must machine all my cast iron down to be perfectly smooth" phase in 2017 (where I found out it doesn't actually help that much) I was still super ready to give these guys money until I saw those handles :negative:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
They are loving pans, you nerds.

Like, there is a cast-iron comal (I bet I could get some good cash for it) that is easily over a hundred years old at my Mom's house. Does anybody fawn over it? Nope, it's a goddamn skillet, the important thing is what (and how) you cook on it. My grandma spent more than eighty years cooking with it and not for a second she thought "I must season/machine/sand/gently caress this hunk of metal."

trucutru fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Don’t tell me how to not have sex with my cookware, you’re not my real dad!