Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

All I know is whoever came up with the idea to use chainmail to scrub cast iron I applaud.

Next time I'll do it I'll say "let's rub!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

trucutru posted:

They are loving pans, you nerds.

Like, there is a cast-iron comal (I bet I could get some good cash for it) that is easily over a hundred years old at my Mom's house. Does anybody fawn over it? Nope, it's a goddamn skillet, the important thing is what (and how) you cook on it. My grandma spent more than eighty years cooking with it and not for a second she thought "I must season/machine/sand/gently caress this hunk of metal."

You don’t know what your Nan thought.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Hav posted:

Abuelas are generally more forthcoming with their thoughts than Nans.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Hav posted:

Ha! as as she would ever shut up about what was she thinking. Specially about us.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I remember at some point when I was a kid I heard that copper is best for pans because the heats distributes more quickly and evenly. I thought, “oh, ok. Probably never gonna be too important unless I become a chef though”

Any more thought devoted to the materials of your tools is embarrassing

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Furia posted:

I remember at some point when I was a kid I heard that copper is best for pans because the heats distributes more quickly and evenly. I thought, “oh, ok. Probably never gonna be too important unless I become a chef though”

Any more thought devoted to the materials of your tools is embarrassing

As an old fart, I believe that everyone should get together a good drill/driver/bit and a good set of cookware (knives and pans) early on in life because you need to replace poo poo versions of those every 5 year or less. Buy something bulletproof up front you're saving in the long run. Cast iron is good because barring being close to a nuclear event it's going to be around long after you're dead. I still have my dads drill and it's made of solid metal from the 70s, works perfectly. Same with knives - they have been sharpened so much over the years they are shorter than when purchased, but still keep an incredible edge.

Also buy a good mattress, older you will thank you.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Beet Wagon posted:

All I know is that I need to find and eat one of these now.

I've had the salami one, it's not completely horrible but it is absolutely a food science abomination to god. The bun gets too toasted and just disintegrates when you bite into it, you cook it split up, then assemble it afterwards.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Cached Money posted:

I've had the salami one, it's not completely horrible but it is absolutely a food science abomination to god. The bun gets too toasted and just disintegrates when you bite into it, you cook it split up, then assemble it afterwards.

I honestly can't explain it but I really really want to eat one of these, possibly even more now.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

I honestly can't explain it but I really really want to eat one of these, possibly even more now.

Isn't this how you ended up with a Mustang?

Kayak needs to hide your wallet.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

It was a tough call between the Mustang vs. a Yaris.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

cynic posted:

As an old fart, I believe that everyone should get together a good drill/driver/bit and a good set of cookware (knives and pans) early on in life because you need to replace poo poo versions of those every 5 year or less. Buy something bulletproof up front you're saving in the long run. Cast iron is good because barring being close to a nuclear event it's going to be around long after you're dead. I still have my dads drill and it's made of solid metal from the 70s, works perfectly. Same with knives - they have been sharpened so much over the years they are shorter than when purchased, but still keep an incredible edge.

Also buy a good mattress, older you will thank you.

Don’t get me wrong I find that kind of thinking entirely reasonable. I’m not yet at a stage where I need to buy kitchenware but when I do I’ll likely get something that lasts, not something that’s the latest fad in katana steel pans blessed by blind monks in the mountains with nebulous antitoxin claims or some stupid bullshit like that

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Furia posted:

Don’t get me wrong I find that kind of thinking entirely reasonable. I’m not yet at a stage where I need to buy kitchenware but when I do I’ll likely get something that lasts, not something that’s the latest fad in katana steel pans blessed by blind monks in the mountains with nebulous antitoxin claims or some stupid bullshit like that

First step is to buy somewhat el-cheapo good knives. Victoronix knives fill that void quite well.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Furia posted:

Luckily you don't need knives to cook poptarts.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Furia posted:

Honestly, any halfway decent knife set ( tripling the recommendation for Victorinox) and a decent set of pans will cover you for 99% of the stuff you need. And as far as pans go, there's really not a lot of magic to it - you can get a set of tramontina pans from Wal Mart instead of shelling out for all-clad and not be missing much: https://www.seriouseats.com/2010/08/equipment-the-all-clad-vs-tramontina-skillet.html

I'd recommend getting a single cast iron skillet just because they're good for things like steaks and pizzas and they'll last forever, but they're definitely not even a "must have" if you have a halfway decent set of stainless pans.

Colostomy Bag posted:

It was a tough call between the Mustang vs. a Yaris.

a new Yaris, thank you very much!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I don't have time to do a full writeup right now, but these dudes are crowdfunding a vape pen for vitamins

Vitamin Air

Which like, I mean fine I guess, but as someone who vapes to quit actual smoking, I absolutely can't wait until there's a day where I don't have to breathe in nebulous chemicals, and the instant I'm reliably down to 0 nicotine I'm throwing all this poo poo in the trash.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Beet Wagon posted:

Which like, I mean fine I guess, but as someone who vapes to quit actual smoking, I absolutely can't wait until there's a day where I don't have to breathe in nebulous chemicals, and the instant I'm reliably down to 0 nicotine I'm throwing all this poo poo in the trash.

Given how extremely questionable the use of vitamin supplements are, it wouldn't surprise me at all if these were just as bad as sucking in nicotine.

I am curious about this:

quote:

eco-friendly vitamin inhalation device

Are there vitamin nebulizers that are non-eco-friendly? Single-use vitamin vapes?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Vitamin C vape: fill your lungs with acid. Totally a good idea.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Not the first time this has happened. Pretty sure when the UK regulated the vaping industry one of the first things to go (or at least the first thing which people were warned about) was vapes with like nutrients and poo poo

Caffeine/alcohol vapes do exist so I can imagine that it would make sense but as far as I know there’s no evidence of nutrient/vitamin vapes working

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Furia posted:

Not the first time this has happened. Pretty sure when the UK regulated the vaping industry one of the first things to go (or at least the first thing which people were warned about) was vapes with like nutrients and poo poo

Caffeine/alcohol vapes do exist so I can imagine that it would make sense but as far as I know there’s no evidence of nutrient/vitamin vapes working

Absolutely none, but that’s not going to stop anyone making claims that aren’t evaluated by the FDA. Oddly enough, some of the legal weed vape products appear to be on the harmful side. Strawberry is going to be gross as gently caress as well.

I quit smoking nearly a decade ago with Chantix. poo poo works, but it gives you dark dreams. Like borderline nightmares, making me less likely to smoke again through aversion at least. Seriously, you have to watch that poo poo for suicidal ideation.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Hav posted:

Absolutely none, but that’s not going to stop anyone making claims that aren’t evaluated by the FDA. Oddly enough, some of the legal weed vape products appear to be on the harmful side. Strawberry is going to be gross as gently caress as well.

I quit smoking nearly a decade ago with Chantix. poo poo works, but it gives you dark dreams. Like borderline nightmares, making me less likely to smoke again through aversion at least. Seriously, you have to watch that poo poo for suicidal ideation.

My roommate quit using chantix. On a couple different occasions I woke up in the middle of the night because he was walking around the house with a loaded shotgun.

I uh... I'm just gonna vape, I think.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I quit with the Allen Carr method.

https://www.amazon.ca/Allen-Carrs-E...to+stop+smoking

That's Allen Carr, not Alan Carr btw.

edit: Allen Carr was a bit of a poo poo, but his explanation of why smoking is hard to quit is pretty good.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

My roommate quit using chantix. On a couple different occasions I woke up in the middle of the night because he was walking around the house with a loaded shotgun.

Well, quit living with roommates who problem solve with shotguns.

Geeze.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Unfortunately now I'm the roommate with the shotgun lol

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

Unfortunately now I'm the roommate with the shotgun lol

Is t the Aegis model?

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Hav posted:

Well, quit living with roommates who problem solve with shotguns.

Geeze.

He lives in Florida, how likely do you think it is he'll find one who doesn't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jason Sextro posted:

He lives in Florida, how likely do you think it is he'll find one who doesn't?

I’m also in Florida, but don’t have roommates, and my wife isn’t more armed than the usual.

Her words *can* hurt, though.