Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Beet Wagon posted:

But the real answer is that older pans were thinner

That seems like it would gently caress up one of the things that makes cast iron good: the huge thermal mass you get from 5 pounds of iron. The heat retention means you cook stuff evenly and don't have big temperature drops when you flip your steak or chops over. Also cast iron has nasty hot spots when it's thin.

Cast iron is good but the Cast Iron Fad is stupid and I really do wonder how much of it ends up shoved into the back of the pots & pans drawer when people find that the "naturally non-stick" pan is anything but. The only true non-stick surface is teflon, everything else sticks to some degree. Most of what prevents sticking is temperature and technique, not which brand of oil you season with.

I use a stainless steel pan like 80% of the time because a lot of the things I make involve tomatoes and don't want to baby something that has to worry about acid. Stainless is the worst for sticking but if you pay attention and practice you learn to minimize it.

(I kinda disagree with you about the flax oil thing btw. Yes the rep is overblown and it's not really any better than any other seasoning; they're all the same once the oil has fully polymerized. But it really is a faster & easier re-season for a pan that got stripped. And I've never seen it flake off, I can only imagine way too much oil was used for that to happen. I have a carbon steel pan and getting some flax oil was absolutely what allowed me to keep a good surface on it. Plus you can use it to re-finish wood too!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

megane posted:

So what I'm hearing is that cast iron is the cooking equivalent of buying a five-hundred-buck limited edition artisanal hand-engraved titanium alloy audio jack instead of using a worthless mass-produced one like an animal, god, any REAL music lover can EASILY hear the difference in quality

A little bit, but less of the audiophile snake oil and more a bunch of nerd cooks trying to scientifically analyze poo poo that worked just fine for 100s of years before the nerds came along.

But the music comparison is really apt in one way: the actual professionals don't use any of that poo poo. Go into a restaurant kitchen and you will see zero cast iron. They use stainless because you can't put cast iron through a commercial dishwasher. The secret is that if you use enough butter, everything is a non-stick pan.

And if you think the cast iron stuff is dumb, you should see people going on about their hittori hanzo chefs knives. :jerkbag:

Beet Wagon posted:

we had about a dude a week come in and buy a jug of boiled linseed oil for their pans.

Mmmmm, lead and cadmium! So tasty!

(Furniture finish linseed oil is the same thing as flax oil, but with various metal salts added to speed up the curing time. Because it's annoying to wait 3-5 days before putting on another coat, and people rarely eat off their chair seat.)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Loomer posted:

Enamel cast iron is nice to cook with. Expensive as poo poo though.

Lodge (who else :v:) makes some decent enamelware cast iron that's not crazy expensive. Not as good enamel quality as a le creuset but lol at paying $300 for a pot. Maybe if I had kids to pass it down to.

I really want the lodge enamel dutch oven but I don't have a lot of kitchen storage space. Enamel is the way to go for a dutch oven.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

GoodyTwoShoes posted:

Wait, is aromatherapy orange oil the same as the orange oil in my furniture polish? My google-fu is weak, and I can't find a comparison, just one or the other. I'm pretty sure the one in furniture polish isn't from fruit-orange trees, too.

Yeah, furniture polish with orange oil is from oranges. It's a cheap by-product of all the oranges that go into orange juice.

It's a lousy furniture polish though. It's a terpene, which is a super-common class of light oil molecules that also includes turpentine. They're ok as a de-greaser but they leave a film of oil on stuff, which isn't actually good as a polish. It feels glossy right after you use it. It doesn't fill scratches like a wax polish, it evaporates.

Use murphy's to clean wood furniture. If you need to repair scratches or finish use a wax polish, or flax oil (but only with compatible finishes).

edit: I'm also not seeing that orange oil is a toxin, just a skin irritant. orange / lemon oil is used in food, like when zesting a lemon.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 3, 2018