Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Latin Pheonix posted:

I cook twigs and insect grubs in a stone pot just like my neolithic ancestors did, get on my level, scrub. :smug:

Look at fancy pants here, ‘cooking’.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
[quote="Golli" post=""477276877"]

Just eat the beans whole like an animal if you're that desperate for a quick caffeine fix.
[/quote]

Preferably dipped in dark chocolate.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Just use a coffee machine you god drat animals!

Does it have a pipe?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

Coffee has got to be way the gently caress up there on the list of "things people take way too seriously and buy lovely gadgets for" lol. I need to go digging.

Like any drug, it attracts paraphenalia. And weirdos.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

Yeah apparently they have leased out the design and collected a royalty or whatever from a bunch of restaurants around the world (don't know how truthful that is) but because it's patented in America they want to open their own place to reap 100% of the profits. All this because he drunkenly bought a hotdog and a hamburger one night, I guess.

quote:

Mark decided to apply to Shark Tank USA. A show that puts budding Entrepreneurs in front of a ruthless panel of high profile investors. Mark made an application, even offering to cover his own expenses to get from Australia to the USA, though was rejected. Then one day Mark noticed the new Australian version of Shark Tank was looking for ideas to be pitched on the coming show. Mark made an application and was accepted. Airing on Shark Tank Australia's first episode, all the panel of investors laughed the idea away as any type of real business. Though while "Shark" Andrew Banks didn't see it as a business, he though it was worth a "punt" and a few phone calls, offering to try and sell the Patent for a share in what he could get for it.

Two years passed with no real interest from anyone to purchase the Hamdog™ concept.

"When I first came here, this was all swamp. Everyone said I was daft to build a castle on a swamp, but I built in all the same, just to show them. It sank into the swamp. So I built a second one. And that one sank into the swamp. So I built a third. That burned down, fell over, and then sank into the swamp. But the fourth one stayed up. And that’s what you’re going to get, Son, the strongest castle in all of England."

Edit:

"Our experience with our Food Stalls at public events has proven we can produce an average of four Hamdog's a minute with six staff which is still not fast enough. Though with an efficient store layout, staff and processes, we believe we can produce 300+ Hamdog's per hour."

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

The only way to mass produce a hamdog bun would be to make hamdog specific cooking molds. Hot dogs are done in a baking pan with walls while a burger just a sheet. That's where patent money is at.

They got you covered, fam.

I'm assuming that they sell them at a premium for the budding(tm) hamdog(tm) entrepreneur(R).

Turns out that he only has the patent until 2020;

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

However, ALCHEMA received over triple the amount it asked for and you can now begin taking preorders for a countertop fermentation bucket to make fruitbooze with! I'll keep you posted for when someone inevitably gets botulism and they have to shut the whole thing down

I can't throw money at things you don't link.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/alchema/alchema-turn-fruit-into-personalized-craft-cider?ref=nav_search&result=project&term=alchema

"ALCHEMA enables you to homebrew your own unique flavor of hard craft cider. With the simplicity of making a pot of coffee, you can turn your favorite fruit into craft cider with limitless flavor options."

Oookay...

"We created Alchema to simplify homebrewing, starting with cider. Alchema brings the joy of craft cider to you and your loved ones. You pick the ingredients, and let Alchema take care of the rest!"

Are you saying tha canst give booze t'baby?

"With Alchema, you can create your own flavor of craft cider or mead within 2 weeks. You can also make wine with Alchema with your own resource of wine grapes and age it for longer."

It doesn't take me two weeks to brew a cup of coffee. Mead? That's a fairly intensive procedure that involves fois gras'ing the yeast with honey...

"Fermentation is a natural process where yeast transforms sugar into alcohol. Alchema simplifies the homebrew hassle by helping you enjoy your own craft cider in just 3 easy steps: "

Compare with the homebrew steps of;
1) Look up on internet
2) Mash up fruit
3) Add Yeast
4) Keep the flies out and wait.

"Alchema is equipped with medical grade UV-C LED light that sanitizes the container before starting the fermentation process."

Works for bacteria, but won't touch anything hardier, like spores.

I'm wondering how they know that fermentation is complete. You'd normally check the alcohol content and the amount of outgassing, but they seem to handwave the app quite a bit.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Wamdoodle posted:

No kidding, I almost wish I had zero scruples and didn't mind fleecing people.

The Bay Area awaits you, young man.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

a two-part water-bottle-and-supplemental-oxygen device

Calling it now, slapping a water bottle on things is the 1980s equivalent of sticking an LCD clock on it.

It doesn't have a clock on it, does it? How can I tell what time I need to take my burst of oxygen?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Oxycoin. Sweet, sweet Oxycoin.

"Say kids, can you check your bitcoin portfolio while hydrating. YOLO, right? Can you do it while hydrating and getting a cool blast of fresh nasal oxygen, curated from the slopes of the Alps? No. Well, do we have the product for you....

<waves forward 90s Cringe Rock>

I'm also available for social media experting.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Double Agent posted:

If you're going to make a pitch for something stupid, at least run that poo poo through a spell checker so you at least sound somewhat legit. "Tells a women." Learn to spell, motherfucker.

quote:

"THE PROBLEM

The modern trend of expensive cigar smoking is increasing exponentially. In 1996 more than $1.5 billion worth of cigars were sold. If the cigars are not stored properly then they lose their unique properties.

Cigars must be kept in a humid atmosphere and at a cool temperature of around 65 F. Currently many use "humidors" which humidifies the cigar. A sponge like substance is soaked in water and kept inside the humidor. The water slowly evaporates which keeps the cigar moist.

However, to keep the cigars cool, people face the toughest hurdle. Either they lower the air conditioner of the entire room where the humidor is kept or they build a special room for the purpose of storing cigars. The 65 F room temperature is really cold for human beings. The special storage place construction needs extra space & resources.

If the cigars are not stored at around 65 degrees Fahrenheit then the larvae hidden in the wrappers will hatch as the temperature increases and goes beyond 70 degrees. Then they eat the tobacco by boring a number of holes thus destroying the expensive cigars"

From one of their patents. That's not what exponential means.

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...7&RS=PN/6094917

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

FactsAreUseless posted:

Some of this guy's inventions seem neat apart from the fact that they definitely don't work at all. My personal favorite is the E-Lamp, a bulb that is less effective than a CFL, but more effective than an incandescent, yet cheaper than a CFL, yet both more expensive and less efficient than an LED, thus rendering it useless. Also he has like four things that all claim to be equally able to magically heat and cool objects, which is insane.

I thought that one was a high point myself, but at least he's positioned for a market that could exist if everyone gets a simultaneous head injury.

Lladre posted:

There are some good stories from normal dudes who decided to give truck driving a try. And how they all to a man became fat from not being able to eat well, especially since companies do not allow you to have a portable toaster oven or heating element.

We're missing out on kickstarting a hydroponic kale farm that fits in the cabin space of a tractor unit.

C 2018 Murderbear industries

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Xelkelvos posted:

Places that don't know the touch of snow like the entire gulf coast

Central Florida living means never having to buy socks unless you visit 'America'.

Foo Diddley posted:

What's the third lobe tho

Nyarlethotep

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Lladre posted:

I made the mistake of taking a halogen pedestal light out in the back patio one night when we were refinishing a cabinet. (We were renting at the time and there was no light back there)

Big old moth went in it and immediately burst into flames with a huge plume of smoke.

witness me!

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

zcrow posted:

Weird. I could've sworn gold mining involves tearing up huge parts of the landscape irreparably, and a bunch of highly lethal chemical processes.

Arsenic is only lethal if you breathe, ingest or otherwise handle it without protective clothing. I think the EPA is fine with it.

Beet Wagon posted:

Well yeah but you're drinking mineral water which is obviously good for you. Who gives two farts about the rainforest, dude, you gave motherfucking GOLD FLAKES IN YOUR WATER!

We're going to look back and laugh when we completely failed to go panning poop in New York.

Edit: I came rushing back to mentioned '24K Ordure'. It's poop, y'see. I'll....I'll show myself out again.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Palpek posted:

Just get a Goldwasser. It's been around for over 400 years and it contains vodka so it makes sense that it's a fancy evening drink and not some goddamn drinking water.

5 x 5" imitation gold leaf sheet - $6.88

Shred that up, drop it in a bottle of smartwater and you have luxury smartwater.
- Another great product from the murderbear you should trust.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

luv 2 wrap ketchup slices around my fries instead of dipping

I think you're being a little short-sighted here, because sheet-form ketchup is only a stepping stone to other structural ketchup forms, such as the tube.

This then opens up an entire world of ketchup-tube stuffed foods, but why stop there. Mayhap a spherical enclosure, finally answering the question that the world has perhaps been asking itself sometimes, what would a cheese-stuffed ketchup profiterole taste like, and how could it promote world peace?

We've labored under the tyranny of pasta for a long time, but this could presage the rise of a new order in processed food stuffs.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sunswipe posted:

I wonder if it's this:
Makes it pretty clear that no crowdfunding is required for the item, he's just ordered a bunch of ceramic knives off Aliexpress and is now trying to sell them at an insane markup via Kickstarter.

It's quite elegant when you think about it.

<starts on alibaba.com>

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Facebook Aunt posted:

Like with half the kitchen gadgets I go "great idea, my grandma had one of those."

So, not a scam, or even a crowdfunded device, but it's something that struck me as quite funny. The sodastream is now being pimped by Jillian Micheals.

Back in the 1970s, it was the cheap home way to make soda, but taking some horrific offbrand syrup, water and CO2 injection never really caught on the massive way that it should.

Now, apparently they've gone with the high juice syrups and re-invented for the fitness generation. - https://www.sodastreamusa.com/Orange-Fruit-Drop-P1022.aspx

I got triggered by mention of Grandma, as mine would come from the National Home and Garden exhibition with _every possible unigadget_ you could think of.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Elysiume posted:

I bought those claw things on a whim because they were cheap, and they're less effective than a pair of forks and a lot harder to clean because of their various concave bits.

I'm tickled that you can still buy the soda stream. In the seventies, you produced the worst knock-off cola imagineable, but your Nan had one for the promise of cheap on demand soda. Turn of the century and they're going with high juices and trying to re-invent the device itself.

Now they have Jillian Micheals, 'fitness harridan', pushing them as a water spritzer.

I have the sandwich maker.

I are stuipd. It works well enough with a muffin and some form of separating out the egg layer, but true to the whole unitasker problem, it's actually more trouble than it's worth. I'm planning to shift it like the equivalent of a gypsy curse at a garage sale.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Foo Diddley posted:

You open your presents at Christmas and you try not to cry--you got TasteTro and his tactical food cart

He saving the world from bland foods, you monster. In a world of low sodium snacks, he's the only one that can 'spice' things up.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

makers of fine machined cast iron pans.

<starts laughing>

iospace posted:

I have a Lodge. I use it for pizza. I also have a ceramic coated dutch oven I use for bread and occasionally soup and chili.

I have a Lodge, and use it for anything where I need a high temperature because drat, this aluminum poo poo warps easily.

Edit: I do have nice things to say about that woven copper matting you can get for the grill; Still transfers heat, stops all the juices hitting the burners.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

megane posted:

So what I'm hearing is that cast iron is the cooking equivalent of buying a five-hundred-buck limited edition artisanal hand-engraved titanium alloy audio jack instead of using a worthless mass-produced one like an animal, god, any REAL music lover can EASILY hear the difference in quality

Not entirely, the people with the FAQs forget that there are different cooking methods, and that we've been skillet cooking on multi-fuel surfaces for loving _ever_. There's also come weird lack of knowledge over the reasons for using stainless over carbon that have everything to do with cooking covers and the practicality of different materials.

And, you know, not cooking daily with more butter than Paula Dean. It's certainly not spending huge amounts of money on things like _allclad_ because the poo poo you put in your mouth is more important than the pot you cook in.

I like the latent heat capacity of my Lodge for offsetting the poo poo that is a halogen cooker.

Beet Wagon posted:

It even says not food safe on the bottle, but they'd buy it anyway. I wonder how many of those dudes are gonna die early cause of some dumb poo poo they read on www dot thecastironchef dot com

Food 'science' is it's whole own field and set of insanity.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Weirdly, Jordan of Peterson is pushing his daughters salt and meat diet, and i’m hoping for scurvy.

Turps drinking, anyone?

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2018/09/25/drinking-poison-turpentine-health-craze

Sorta intersects with the Linseed insanos.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Kangra posted:

If you'd told me it was the latest health fad, I would've assumed people just rubbing it on their skin, but drinking?

I notice the editor put the image from the hardware store clearly labelled as "pure gum spirits" right before the reporter says, "It's not the stuff you find in the hardware store, it's pure gum spirits!"

I use Tecnu regularly after poison oak/urushiol exposure, and that's pretty much the same thing at its base, but I wouldn't dream of putting it in my mouth.

One of the tragic/amusing parts of the aromatherapy fad was finding that orange oil, a toxin, was more readily absorbed by the skin than was first thought. Some people play a little too fast and loose with some chemicals because it takes a few months for exposure to build up, rather than causing injury immediately.

See also Egyptian lead based cosmetics and arsenic bleaching powders. Counter: Churchill's crack lozenges. History gets a pass because they don't know any better.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Klyith posted:

Yeah, furniture polish with orange oil is from oranges. It's a cheap by-product of all the oranges that go into orange juice.

It's a lousy furniture polish though. It's a terpene, which is a super-common class of light oil molecules that also includes turpentine. They're ok as a de-greaser but they leave a film of oil on stuff, which isn't actually good as a polish. It feels glossy right after you use it. It doesn't fill scratches like a wax polish, it evaporates.

Use murphy's to clean wood furniture. If you need to repair scratches or finish use a wax polish, or flax oil (but only with compatible finishes).

edit: I'm also not seeing that orange oil is a toxin, just a skin irritant. orange / lemon oil is used in food, like when zesting a lemon.

I can’t find the reference myself, so i might have misremebered, but essential oils are a little bit more refined than food oils.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Goblin posted:

lol love to have a device the size of a large microwave for one specific use

*slaps the roof of his air fryer*

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

trucutru posted:

They are loving pans, you nerds.

Like, there is a cast-iron comal (I bet I could get some good cash for it) that is easily over a hundred years old at my Mom's house. Does anybody fawn over it? Nope, it's a goddamn skillet, the important thing is what (and how) you cook on it. My grandma spent more than eighty years cooking with it and not for a second she thought "I must season/machine/sand/gently caress this hunk of metal."

You don’t know what your Nan thought.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

I honestly can't explain it but I really really want to eat one of these, possibly even more now.

Isn't this how you ended up with a Mustang?

Kayak needs to hide your wallet.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Furia posted:

Don’t get me wrong I find that kind of thinking entirely reasonable. I’m not yet at a stage where I need to buy kitchenware but when I do I’ll likely get something that lasts, not something that’s the latest fad in katana steel pans blessed by blind monks in the mountains with nebulous antitoxin claims or some stupid bullshit like that

Luckily you don't need knives to cook poptarts.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Furia posted:

Not the first time this has happened. Pretty sure when the UK regulated the vaping industry one of the first things to go (or at least the first thing which people were warned about) was vapes with like nutrients and poo poo

Caffeine/alcohol vapes do exist so I can imagine that it would make sense but as far as I know there’s no evidence of nutrient/vitamin vapes working

Absolutely none, but that’s not going to stop anyone making claims that aren’t evaluated by the FDA. Oddly enough, some of the legal weed vape products appear to be on the harmful side. Strawberry is going to be gross as gently caress as well.

I quit smoking nearly a decade ago with Chantix. poo poo works, but it gives you dark dreams. Like borderline nightmares, making me less likely to smoke again through aversion at least. Seriously, you have to watch that poo poo for suicidal ideation.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

My roommate quit using chantix. On a couple different occasions I woke up in the middle of the night because he was walking around the house with a loaded shotgun.

Well, quit living with roommates who problem solve with shotguns.

Geeze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jason Sextro posted:

He lives in Florida, how likely do you think it is he'll find one who doesn't?

I’m also in Florida, but don’t have roommates, and my wife isn’t more armed than the usual.

Her words *can* hurt, though.