Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Beet Wagon posted:

"What if like... what if truck drivers had a small personal air conditioner that ran off a separate battery? Like... not the kind you can already buy though, what if it was way more complicated and didn't work that good?"

There are some good stories from normal dudes who decided to give truck driving a try. And how they all to a man became fat from not being able to eat well, especially since companies do not allow you to have a portable toaster oven or heating element.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
I made the mistake of taking a halogen pedestal light out in the back patio one night when we were refinishing a cabinet. (We were renting at the time and there was no light back there)

Big old moth went in it and immediately burst into flames with a huge plume of smoke.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Subjunctive posted:

Apparently many high-end knife manufacturers say that the dishwasher isn’t a problem for the blade, though it might be for the handle. A Global G2 or something should be fine.

Yeah, having water get sprayed on it isn't going to hurt it. I think the confusion started when people get told not to toss a good knife into the sink with the rest of the dishes, so the edge gets smashed by crap.

I've always been a fan of clean as you go, so by the time your dinner plate is ready to be served the only things left to clean are whatever pan/pot your food is in.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Lord Stimperor posted:

I am late to this thread, but since everyone's talking about horrible, scammy, kitchen gadgets, here's a video by AvE wherein he disassembles and figures out how the Juicero works. You know, the 400$ machine that needs WiFi and squeezes juice packages for you slower than you'd do by hand. Basically the company took their absolutely terrible business idea and made sure every single component was made of the highest quality. If I understand AvE correctly, some of the parts are actually worth much more than the entire machine itself - just a shame that none of that was necessary.

And aside from being completely and utterly pointless, the machine is actually quite a work of art. Think some of these scams exist because some portions of society have become so bored and wealthy that they just don't know what else to splurge money on anymore except making overengineered juice presses. Basically make stuff exclusive and expensive just for expensiveness's sake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Cp-BGQfpHQ

AvE has some pretty informative videos. It's a shame he tries too hard to have inappropriate humor in his videos.