Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

My mother has a soup maker thing, and she loves it - fling leftovers and stock in, set a timer for when you want delicious soup, come back then and you press a button and soup comes out. Yes making soup is simple, but when you're as lazy as my mother and love soup it's great. I know it's not quite the same thing, but the essential concept seems the same.

That tortilla thing is hilarious - it's bigger than my bread maker - you could get a bread maker, enough ingredientsfor about 50 tortilla, get it to knead the dough for you and make them with far less effort and about 1/50th the cost than this retarded thing. I can see it being useful if you just want one or two tiny tortilla per day, but who the gently caress does that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Klyith posted:

Lodge (who else :v:) makes some decent enamelware cast iron that's not crazy expensive. Not as good enamel quality as a le creuset but lol at paying $300 for a pot. Maybe if I had kids to pass it down to.

I really want the lodge enamel dutch oven but I don't have a lot of kitchen storage space. Enamel is the way to go for a dutch oven.

My dad had a loving giant set of le creuset and when he passed away my mother threw it all out because it was from the 70s and a weird shade of orange and she wanted some nice new stuff. She also emptied a bunch of priceless scotch down the sink because she thought it was too old and too strong for anyone (cask strength bottled in a distillery that was destroyed in WWII, so the rarity value was off the scale). I have a bunch of cheap but weighty cast iron skillets and grill pans for searing stuff; it's the only type of pan that will get properly hot on my halogen hobs.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Old Binsby posted:

i have one le creuset cookware article, it’s a real pretty but hideously expensive tea pot my mom gave me for Christmas. Wish she gave me the pans already, they’re like patek philippe watches: you need a second mortgage to afford a new set and you merely look after it for the next generation

what did those pans ever do to your mom though

My dad was a chef, and spent a fortune on cookware, had a cupboard containing nothing but wholes spices, used to hang meat in the garage and all that good stuff. My mom prefers eating out and is sometimes the worlds worst cook (she has been known to mix up salt/sugar or replace ingredients with completely different and inappropriate ones. My wife refuses to eat her cooking now after a few unfortunate family meals). She just didn't see the point, it was too heavy for her, so she put thousands of $ worth of casserole dishes and pans in the garbage.

Yes I am bitter. I love to cook and I would have used the hell out of that stuff.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Furia posted:

I remember at some point when I was a kid I heard that copper is best for pans because the heats distributes more quickly and evenly. I thought, “oh, ok. Probably never gonna be too important unless I become a chef though”

Any more thought devoted to the materials of your tools is embarrassing

As an old fart, I believe that everyone should get together a good drill/driver/bit and a good set of cookware (knives and pans) early on in life because you need to replace poo poo versions of those every 5 year or less. Buy something bulletproof up front you're saving in the long run. Cast iron is good because barring being close to a nuclear event it's going to be around long after you're dead. I still have my dads drill and it's made of solid metal from the 70s, works perfectly. Same with knives - they have been sharpened so much over the years they are shorter than when purchased, but still keep an incredible edge.

Also buy a good mattress, older you will thank you.