Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I like throwing balls off cheekybeak peak or whatever it's called and listening to the hd rumble falling sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Artix posted:

So how the hell does Disc Golf work? Mini Golf at least uses the same set of mechanics as putting, but I cannot figure out how to reliably throw a disc in any direction other than straight forward.
I think left/right work from the disc's perspective, not yours. But I don't know because I just lucksacked my way past the long-throw-into-the-bucket and haven't done more since.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I think left/right work from the disc's perspective, not yours. But I don't know because I just lucksacked my way past the long-throw-into-the-bucket and haven't done more since.

Yeah that's how it works--left and right are relative to the disc's current direction of travel. It's jarring and kinda hard to get used to, probably on purpose but still.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

You need to really finesse the discs. Oversteering was the big problem I had. It helps to throw it at less power, too.

I cannot for the life of me figure out where I'm supposed to pick up a set of vintage woods.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

overdesigned posted:

Yeah that's how it works--left and right are relative to the disc's current direction of travel. It's jarring and kinda hard to get used to, probably on purpose but still.

I've only done the first disc challenge, I am assuming there will be more, but it was super easy.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
The music in this game is A+

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Bouncing from bunker to bunker is one my fav things I've ever done in a golf game. Also, bunker footprints. Or footprint bunkers. Dinosaur footprints.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

The camera fucks up sometimes when I move it to scope the pin. I've had it refuse to center on the character/ball.

Really wish I had a course map. Hell, even a hole layout would be nice.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Waltzing Along posted:

Bouncing from bunker to bunker is one my fav things I've ever done in a golf game. Also, bunker footprints. Or footprint bunkers. Dinosaur footprints.
The "land only on X terrain type" sidequests were sweet and I'm hoping there's more of those in the later levels, I'm only at the second place so I only have done the one set but I really enjoyed them.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

DACK FAYDEN posted:

The "land only on X terrain type" sidequests were sweet and I'm hoping there's more of those in the later levels, I'm only at the second place so I only have done the one set but I really enjoyed them.

Aiming for holes that are like 15 feet wide is fun, too.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Do the areas' main quests get shorter later? Feels like it's going to be an hour a course from the first 2 which I feel is perfect length (not counting sidequests/challenges)

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Alternate course guy's alternate course for Oak Manor has defeated me :negative:

I'm not a golfer, I'm not even a man...

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Autonomous Monster posted:

Alternate course guy's alternate course for Oak Manor has defeated me :negative:
God, that guy comes back? He's a madman. I love him. He doesn't give a poo poo about your intended pathing and buildings and obstacles and people and actual other hole right next to the one he's telling you to aim at.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I dislike that the game sometimes puts your tee shot directly into a lake or OB and you have to spend a few seconds figuring out where the hell it's pointing you in relation to the fairway.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

DACK FAYDEN posted:

God, that guy comes back? He's a madman. I love him. He doesn't give a poo poo about your intended pathing and buildings and obstacles and people and actual other hole right next to the one he's telling you to aim at.

Every course. And harder every time. :argh:

He might be the most challenging thing in the game?

Beastie posted:

I dislike that the game sometimes puts your tee shot directly into a lake or OB and you have to spend a few seconds figuring out where the hell it's pointing you in relation to the fairway.

The game always points you straight at the hole, as far as I can tell. You can zoom out by clicking the right stick, which helps a lot.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Yeah I know about the zoom, but that mode doesn't let you see the entire course. It sometimes cuts me off from viewing the pin.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
There might be something lurking in Lurker valley

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

You can zoom out by clicking the right stick, which helps a lot.

didn't know this

thanks!

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Did you mean to make that post, or were you just pushing keys at random?

lelandjs posted:

The HD Rumble motors in the joycons aren't the simple unevenly balanced peice of metal attached to a motor that you'd find in your dual shock or Xbox controllers, it's actually a linear resonant actuator—a charge is applied unevenly to an electromagnet hidden in the joycons, which causes it to vibrate back and forth. At low frequencies of vibration, a rumble is felt, and because the amount and frequency of current is controllable, it allows for different and very precise levels of vibration, which Nintendo calls "HD Rumble". If you've got an iPhone 6S or newer, you've got a similar motor in your phone in the "Taptic Engine".

However, a cool hidden "feature" of LRAs is that if they're vibrated quickly enough they start to produce sound! The LRAs in the Steam controller are used to make the tones that sound when the controller is connected or disconnected.

As far as I know, the Golf Story devs appears to be the first studio to intentionally take advantage of the sound producing capabilities of the HD Rumble motors—the HD Rumble in Snake Pass originally made sound, but that's because the devs set the vibration way too high (they probably used the same values from the other console versions, not realizing how differently the joycons' vibration works).

I think my favorite is when the text bubble tips to the side. Sounds like my hands are sighing.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.
I'm very in to this.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

The Manticore posted:

I think my favorite is when the text bubble tips to the side. Sounds like my hands are sighing.

I like how they have manipulated the text. Not seen that done before but it is effective.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
this game loving owns

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
do you get something if you just freeform play holes? You don't seem to be able to continue your shots, and I was wondering if I was missing something.

also I remember hitting that switch with a golf ball early on, I'm guessing there are switches all over the courses hidden?

finally:

difference between normal mode & focus mode and whats the point of hitting the bottom of top of the ball. I assume it adds more spin one way or the other? i dont know poo poo about golf. you can sort of hit the side, whats up with that. when would you use that

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Ignoring your stats, hitting the ball from the bottom will pop it up and over the deep rough/sand that it is lodged in. Comes in handy when you are trying to hit over an object or body of water that is right in front of you.

It also stops your ball from rolling away from where it landed.

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
I've only seen the buttons in the first course but I've only gotten up to the 3rd course so they could be in some of the later ones.

The only hidden thing that I've seen in multiple courses is the bonus XP hole.

As for what hitting the ball in different places does, there is a training video you watch about it but it basically controls spin and how high or low your ball will curve.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Beastie posted:

Ignoring your stats, hitting the ball from the bottom will pop it up and over the deep rough/sand that it is lodged in. Comes in handy when you are trying to hit over an object or body of water that is right in front of you.

It also stops your ball from rolling away from where it landed.

It also makes it more susceptible to the wind. Hitting the top does the opposite; more/farther bounces and less wind. Hitting the left or right bends the shot- it won't change where it lands, but you might be able to curve it round a tree or something.

Still haven't figured out what the L and R (not ZL/ZR, actual L and R) do though.

eonwe posted:

do you get something if you just freeform play holes? You don't seem to be able to continue your shots, and I was wondering if I was missing something.

also I remember hitting that switch with a golf ball early on, I'm guessing there are switches all over the courses hidden?

Four switches on the first course. There are also destructibles (buoys, speed boats, barrels etc) you can hit for cash and special bonus holes that give you massive xp (they've got swirly rainbow circles around them). If there's anything else to hit outside of a challenge/match you'll usually get a tee-up prompt.

eonwe posted:

finally:

difference between normal mode & focus mode

Focus has a slower bar and ignores wind, maybe?

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
Where the gently caress is the thing I need for the second course that was apparently taken.

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006

EpicNemesis posted:

Where the gently caress is the thing I need for the second course that was apparently taken.

You need the shovel which you buy from the pro shop and then you need to equip it. Then the dude gives you a radar to find stuff

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
Yea just found it. :downs:

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

imnotinsane posted:

You need the shovel which you buy from the pro shop and then you need to equip it. Then the dude gives you a radar to find stuff

The pro shop at Wellworn or am I blind?

Got it

less than three fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 29, 2017

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

It also makes it more susceptible to the wind. Hitting the top does the opposite; more/farther bounces and less wind. Hitting the left or right bends the shot- it won't change where it lands, but you might be able to curve it round a tree or something.

Still haven't figured out what the L and R (not ZL/ZR, actual L and R) do though.

Four switches on the first course. There are also destructibles (buoys, speed boats, barrels etc) you can hit for cash and special bonus holes that give you massive xp (they've got swirly rainbow circles around them). If there's anything else to hit outside of a challenge/match you'll usually get a tee-up prompt.

Focus has a slower bar and ignores wind, maybe?

Ty very much.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Eat poo poo, Max! :argh:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

so far my favorite character has been some random guy in the second world where if you throw a ball at him he says he just didn't feel like dodging it

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
Does anyone else have a problem with HD rumble not working while in handheld mode? It works when I use the pro controller or separated joycons but not in handheld.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
How do I help the drat lady with the putting challenge in the bird zone all I can seem to do is putt and the ball always slows way down too fast and then the bird always steals the ball :mad:

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

overdesigned posted:

How do I help the drat lady with the putting challenge in the bird zone all I can seem to do is putt and the ball always slows way down too fast and then the bird always steals the ball :mad:

That's nothin the hard one is the blue birds right after that on the sloped hill.

Sensual Simian
Jun 7, 2004

summer jorts
We reserve our respect for those trained in the disc.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
This game is awesome

Sensual Simian
Jun 7, 2004

summer jorts
The didgeridoo in Lurker Valley is delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

You need to really finesse the discs. Oversteering was the big problem I had. It helps to throw it at less power, too.

Ah, helpful. That mechanic is goddamn infuriating.

• Locked thread