Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

PantsBandit posted:

Personally I think putting is easier than chipping. If you're trying to nail the flag with a chip you have to perfectly account for wind because if the wind pulls you off course (or you just mess up your shot) you're guaranteed to have to burn another stroke.

Most chips are so short and low wind ain't poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forcyte
Nov 22, 2013
Is there a trick to the putting challenge in Bermuda Isles? The slopes are so extreme, I can't get the ball close to the hole on the second and third holes.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

On the second and third hole I found a good strategy was to actually aim at the dude and then plug away.

Still too several tries but once I started aiming at him I was getting really close

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Forcyte posted:

Is there a trick to the putting challenge in Bermuda Isles? The slopes are so extreme, I can't get the ball close to the hole on the second and third holes.
I ended up just memorizing how to get the first one in for two points (70% power and I can't tell you where I aimed) and then aiming at the dude's eyeballs and messing with my power until I figured out what I needed.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Forcyte posted:

Trial and error worked for me. I'd recommend just dropping the ball on the green outside of the challenge and hitting it over and over again until you have a good idea of power/direction that drops it the most consistently. That's a little quicker than dealing with the TOO BAD poo poo over and over.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well you can't get to those green

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Well you can't get to those green

Oh I must be thinking of another putting challenge then. There's one in particular where you have to putt down a long U shape that took me a while.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Yeah the snake putt is difficult, but the other guy is talking about the putting island challenge you need the dive fins to unlock

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Forcyte posted:

trial and error, honestly. took me upwards of 20-ish tries maybe, but it's fairly short so it's not that bad. first hole is fairly straightforward, second and third holes i just found a putt that was sort of close to the hole, memorized what i did, and fine-tuned it over many tries. (these were typically aimed nowhere close to the hole, i think hole 3 i was aiming at the dude himself)

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I think my game is borked? I'm at the spooky course where I've unlocked the first gate, but sinking a ball into the big hole does nothing. I think I may have broken it because I had already sunk a ball in there earlier, before I had even gotten a key to the first gate. So now I don't know what to do.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
ughhh did I bug my game?

It was during the murder mystery, I snuck out of the mansion and it was raining

so I just casually walked away from the perimeter of the building, went into the pro shop, stepped out and uhh now it's daytime

I also can't get back into the mansion because there's trucks parked all around, which is weird because I just sauntered on out between them. Anyways it looks like i need to confront the dudes harassing the guy outside, guess I missed them. Am I stuck outside?

basically is my game hosed?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

KingSlime posted:

ughhh did I bug my game?

It was during the murder mystery, I snuck out of the mansion and it was raining

so I just casually walked away from the perimeter of the building, went into the pro shop, stepped out and uhh now it's daytime

I also can't get back into the mansion because there's trucks parked all around, which is weird because I just sauntered on out between them. Anyways it looks like i need to confront the dudes harassing the guy outside, guess I missed them. Am I stuck outside?

basically is my game hosed?

Sounds like yes :/ Sorry man. I've heard the murder mystery is the most unstable part of the game.

aerether
Nov 3, 2008
College Slice

Cicero posted:

I think my game is borked? I'm at the spooky course where I've unlocked the first gate, but sinking a ball into the big hole does nothing. I think I may have broken it because I had already sunk a ball in there earlier, before I had even gotten a key to the first gate. So now I don't know what to do.

Did you do it off of the tee?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

Sounds like yes :/ Sorry man. I've heard the murder mystery is the most unstable part of the game.

drat! ah well, guess I can wait and see if there's a patch or something while I play other stuff

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I also got hosed in the same area, for having the audacity to save and quit. I'm just gonna hope they fix my save in a patch. If not it will probably be a whike till I play it again

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Oct 15, 2017

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
It's kind of bullshit because yeah I'm never gonna go back to start a fresh file so I guess I'll never experience the remaining part of the story in Golf Story, a game about a story that centers around golf

Kinda wish I could get some sorta eShop credit cuz I feel like I bought a semi faulty product

Oh well, time to dig into steam world dig 2

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They probably will patch it soon, they are apparently working on it

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

aerether posted:

Did you do it off of the tee?
I think I did before, but via hitting Y, rather than A. Because just hitting A now fixed it, thanks!

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Did anyone else trip over that line about tennis after you land a new contract? Could Tennis Story be close behind? What other Mario sports will Sidebar Games do better than Nintendo?

Bungbroy
Dec 14, 2004

Sweet teats of the godbung, lend me thy broys
Is there a way to restart challenges and courses? I'm enjoying the game, but messing up the first few shots of a course is really frustrating when you've already failed and it makes you finish. It's making me want to play less and less.

Valen
Oct 1, 2009

Bungbroy posted:

Is there a way to restart challenges and courses? I'm enjoying the game, but messing up the first few shots of a course is really frustrating when you've already failed and it makes you finish. It's making me want to play less and less.

Not that I’m aware of. Sometimes it’s quicker to hit the home button, close the game and restart it since the game is fairly good about checkpointing.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Par par birdie, yo.

Bungbroy posted:

You can hit start and then go to world map which has been pretty good about kicking me back out to right before I accepted whatever challenge i'm trying to ditch from.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

This game has taught me that golf makes me extremely angry.

The fact that the ball doesn't always go exactly where the display says it will land kills me. Ughhhh this is why sports is a pain in the rear end.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Oct 16, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

But it does appears go where it says, except for wind.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ugh the game soft locked on me. I was in the neanderthal land (I forget the name), and was trying. To figure out where to get a shovel. I went back to wellworn and talked to the coach, when our conversation finished the music kept playing but none of the buttons worked. Hopefully I didn’t lose my save.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's pretty good about autosaving in general.

Also if you don't mind the hint

You don't need a shovel. this is golf story. you need a golf club, there's one for sale nearby called a digging wedge

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ok, my game may be doubly bugged because I bought that club, went to talk to the archaeologist, and he acted like I didn’t have anything to dig with, which is why I assumed I needed a real shovel and went back to wellworn looking for it. Is there anything besides that club that triggers the archaeologist missions?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You have to equip it. You can do that in the pause menu but also the dpad quick cycles through your clubs

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ah, that’s what I didn’t do. Thanks!!

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Ugh the game soft locked on me. I was in the neanderthal land (I forget the name), and was trying. To figure out where to get a shovel. I went back to wellworn and talked to the coach, when our conversation finished the music kept playing but none of the buttons worked. Hopefully I didn’t lose my save.

this is definitely not the only place this can happen and i feel like i have encountered this at least twice

this game is buggy as poo poo

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

We should update the OP with known save-ruining bugs. I’d hate to be 90% of the way through the game and have the save poo poo the bed.

Also i know the devs were soliciting big feedback on reddit/Twitter, did they ever mention when a patch might be coming?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I found out about the Tidy Green bug about 5 minutes after I did that party sequence. Dodged a bullet.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

We should update the OP with known save-ruining bugs. I’d hate to be 90% of the way through the game and have the save poo poo the bed.

Also i know the devs were soliciting big feedback on reddit/Twitter, did they ever mention when a patch might be coming?

Sort of:

https://twitter.com/sidebargames/status/916785769292775424

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Oh good. I think turnaround on those going live is usually like two weeks?

Forcyte
Nov 22, 2013
There should be an achievement for the number of birdie putts I've turned into double-bogeys. :golfclap:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
So why is the game good? I keep hearing everyone loves it but have a hard time seeing the appeal. When y'all say it's a 16bit rpg are you referring to character progression or what?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
More or less yeah. If 2D golf in an RPG-like setting doesn't sound appealing, it might not be for you. That's pretty much all there is to it, it's just executed well, supplemented by charming graphics and music

Check out a video or two of someone running around taking on quests if you want to know exactly what to expect, it's about 12 hours of that. It's fun and I felt myself getting better. It's also kinda buggy, might wanna wait for a patch if it's not a priority for you

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I feel like with this being the best game ever made it actually appeals to everyone.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Oh my god. :kimchi:

the rap battle scene was amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Larrymer posted:

Oh my god. :kimchi:

the rap battle scene was amazing
The one kid who has continuing interactions with the grandma really pays off by the end, it's genuinely one of the cuter parts of the game for me :3:

• Locked thread