Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

It is incredibly surprising that a retro RPG about golf is this much fun.

Also gently caress that shot shaping challenge at Cheekybeak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I feel like hitting the eggs back to the birds is bugged. I've gotten 4/5 of them, but the red ones just refuse to trigger even though I've hit them the red balls back three times.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Momomo posted:

I feel like hitting the eggs back to the birds is bugged. I've gotten 4/5 of them, but the red ones just refuse to trigger even though I've hit them the red balls back three times.

It's a different red bird you need to hit to. If I recall correctly, the one you need is over to the right and you'll need your driver to get to it.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Momomo posted:

The one really far away on the left has a red circle because it's a course obstacle. You have to hit it to a totally different red bird. I agree that this is dumb as hell.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

How do I do the lawnmowers in oak manor?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Ornamented Death posted:

It's a different red bird you need to hit to. If I recall correctly, the one you need is over to the right and you'll need your driver to get to it.

Emron posted:

The one really far away on the left has a red circle because it's a course obstacle. You have to hit it to a totally different red bird. I agree that this is dumb as hell.

Yeah, that was the problem, thanks. Only other bugs I've encountered were not being able to move after getting out of bed, and I think the second hole was skipped entirely when I was going against Lara (it was just a black screen for longer than usual, then we were suddenly on hole 3. It counted me as winning hole 2 somehow). Really nice game though.

It's a shame that the special skills don't really seem to have any purpose though. I like being able to throw golf balls at people, and swing at the ball as it's falling, but do they ever come up otherwise?

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

Autonomous Monster posted:

Go to Oak Manor.

Edit: I’m an idiot

EpicNemesis fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Oct 1, 2017

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

A Proper Uppercut posted:

How do I do the lawnmowers in oak manor?

You need to use a new piece of gear you can get nearby. More specifically: Go check out the grave on the bottom right of that island.

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.
gently caress disc golf forever. That is all.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
The old lady at the Aqua Golf range has great dialogue after you win all three prizes.

She says "We don't have any prizes left. You won them all. I hope nobody else likes golf."

edit: oh my god, Galf. I started a game and I have to go to bed and there doesn't seem to be a quit option? Can I stop GALF?

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Oct 2, 2017

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

edit: oh my god, Galf. I started a game and I have to go to bed and there doesn't seem to be a quit option? Can I stop GALF?

...put the Switch to sleep and pick it up later?

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I had no trouble at most of the things people are asking questions about but the putting challenge at the beach is turning this into Golf Souls for me.

Rectovagitron
Mar 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I am so sucked in.

I think I ran into a game breaking bug: I hit all the holes on Aqua Golf before the challenge, and now it isn't registering the hits during the challenge. Anyone else have that problem?

Edit: hitting close software fixed it. And fixed vibration being broken!

Rectovagitron fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Oct 2, 2017

Forcyte
Nov 22, 2013

tap my mountain posted:

Oh cool the fish feeding quest broke, time to delete my file and do the first course again :shepicide:

If you're missing the last fish to feed, there's a feeding spot next to the lake you find one screen to the left.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I see on howlongtobeat that this game takes 13 hours. I feel like that number is a bit low.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Doug posted:

gently caress disc golf forever. That is all.

Just steer left and right.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

atholbrose posted:

...put the Switch to sleep and pick it up later?
Well, yes. I just wanted to post "CAN I STOP GALF" like a grown man :shobon:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Well, yes. I just wanted to post "CAN I STOP GALF" like a grown man :shobon:

I had to force quit. Couldn't do anything in that. I suspect it is bugged

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008
This game is pretty buggy but it's superbly fun. I just wish it was longer.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Been having a lot of fun with Golf Story. Only thing I wish is that it had some of the QoL things that the newer Mario Golf titles have had. Specifically, a little more depth to the wind speed and elevation mechanics would be nice. Putting in particular is really hard (well, not hard, but overly simplistic) because you get super limited information. Some kind of terrain mapping would be really nice.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
I don't understand people's issues with the frisbees. It's by far the easiest part of the game - just steer the dang disc. You don't need to drop it in or anything, just touch the net and you win.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

PantsBandit posted:

Some kind of terrain mapping would be really nice.
The worst part is that they know it - if you get on the green in Galf there's little arrows on every square of it telling you the slope.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I think they are trying to use the joystick for 360 degrees of control when in reality you just turn it left or right.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Drunk Tomato posted:

I don't understand people's issues with the frisbees. It's by far the easiest part of the game - just steer the dang disc. You don't need to drop it in or anything, just touch the net and you win.

Nobody ever tells you how to steer the dang disc

Nobody even tells you that you can hit the - key to get a diagram of the controller mappings appropriate to whatever it is you're doing at the time

This game is really bad at telling you how to play it

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dr Cheeto posted:

Nobody even tells you that you can hit the - key to get a diagram of the controller mappings appropriate to whatever it is you're doing at the time

You can do what now

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I also just learned that the Focus Shot thing you start off with is something you activate with up on the d-pad :doh:

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
My first shot in Galf went way out of bounds and kept spinning around forever putting the game in a softlock.

It's no surprise that the game within a game is even buggier than the game itself.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Speaking of Galf, I'm really surprised nobody has posted screenshots of the manual. I should probably take some and post it. It's amazing :allears:

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.

Beastie posted:

Just steer left and right.

I finally got it by basically hooking all of my throws. WAY overthrow the disc and then hook it back into the net. I could never really work out which way the disc was going to turn in a given throw. Also, the stabilizing by alternating left and right was really helpful.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Doug posted:

I could never really work out which way the disc was going to turn in a given throw.

when you press right it turns right, when you press left it turns left, hth

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

Waltzing Along posted:

I had to force quit. Couldn't do anything in that. I suspect it is bugged
When you're in the game (but not at the start menu for some reason) you can hit + and then quit.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Dr Cheeto posted:

Nobody ever tells you how to steer the dang disc

This game is really bad at telling you how to play it

The one that caught me out was when doing the 'really long putt' challenge at Cheekybeaks (can't remember the proper name). In all other golfing scenarios, ZL and ZR 'approach' buttons do the same thing - give you a shorter shot option. Except when putting, where ZL is 'short putt' and ZR is 'long putt'. But the control guide just says, 'Approach' for both, with no other clarification. Actually, now I think on it, I also got caught out by the 'No, the *other* red circle' thing when delivering bird eggs.

I've only had one thing that is an actual glitch so far - all other times it was the game just being a little too opaque with what it wanted you to do. Still, it hasn't done much to dampen my enjoyment of the game.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I actually have no idea what ZL and ZR do normally on a conceptual level. They explained it early on, sort of, but it didn't seem to boil down to anything other than giving you less distance three different ways.

Lakbay posted:

I also just learned that the Focus Shot thing you start off with is something you activate with up on the d-pad :doh:

What is this? I tried pressing up when I was aiming but I've never seen anything about what focus shot actually was.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
gently caress Oak Manor Hallowed Halls.

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit
lol the sound your joycons make when you shoot a ball out of the map

just line up a shot with your driver and launch it off the map if you dont know what i mean

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Bugs I've encountered:
  • Camera moves away from character and is unresponsive until the shot is made.
  • Ball lands on green and is marked as Rough
  • Unable to move my shot distance in both directions, only one.
  • Directional inputs for changing said shot distance have reversed, where pulling back somehow moved the cursor farther.
  • Soft Lock on Disc Golf course.
  • Putting is hard AF

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
If you're worried you won't make a putt, just chip it in instead

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I've had much more success with that, yes.

It's so hard to read the green correctly that I'd rather just chip it in.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
The main character's wife is pretty misogynistic. I'm not a fan. Does she get less stereotypical?

(I guess this does free him up to have Lara hit him really hard if you know what I"m sayin'.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The "relationship" stuff is the worst part of the game.

Main / ex wife
Main / Lara
Coach / Laras Coach

All bad.

• Locked thread