Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Been having a lot of fun with Golf Story. Only thing I wish is that it had some of the QoL things that the newer Mario Golf titles have had. Specifically, a little more depth to the wind speed and elevation mechanics would be nice. Putting in particular is really hard (well, not hard, but overly simplistic) because you get super limited information. Some kind of terrain mapping would be really nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Haha the montage where the groundkeeper is mowing the course with more and more absurd methods was amazing.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Tekopo posted:

Has anyone experienced any locks in this game? I've had two so far, once when going through a conversation and one when trying to throw a disc. Quite annoying.

EDIT: going through the thread seems to suggest that yeah, I'm not the only one to get softlocking.

Yes. I had one soft-lock when I first booted up galf (assuming I wasn't just missing something but I hit every button and didn't see a response) and it also soft-locked on me when I went to that one lady's office while she was still out. I talked to the secretary and then after the conversation I couldn't move or open any menus.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

blue squares posted:

golf story is great but why are there shirtless dudes in bandannas all over the place in a golf game?

Pssh, I bet you think there's something wrong with pelting slow golfers with golf balls too. Go back to your country club!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Welp, I can't imagine this game will be able to top having a golf battle with an actual wizard for ownership of his haunted golf course

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Just wait till you get to Blue Dunes.

Don't get his hopes up. Blue Dunes is a bigger challenge but if you're going 10 under par you've clearly cracked the code of this game.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Kaubocks posted:

Apparently holding L/R while golfing are the buttons to add front and back spin to your swing. This is separate from pressing X to pinpoint where on the ball you want to hit it which alters the trajectory but doesn't add any spin to the ball.

this game

Whaaaaat????? gently caress me, that would've been nice to know.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I figured the spin stat affected the X button ball position mode :shobon:

Unrelated: gently caress whoever decided we needed an RC Car game.

Yeah, same. I thought it was just kinda lovely.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

My inability to figure out the loving putting meter tanks my par everytime. I just do not get how putting works :(

What specifically are your issues? Some good rules of thumb:

1: Overshooting a little bit generally isn't a bad idea, but only a little because if you put too much spice on it, it'll jump the hole

2: Even a slight slope should change your target speed. Slight slope away/towards you: modify your strength by 25% in either direction. Medium slope away/towards you: modify strength by 50%. Slope perpendicular to your shot: modify speed upwards (slope will have less impact) or significantly modify your angle left/right depending. These are the hardest shots to make.

3: If you're right by the hole, just give it two quick taps. If there is no "green", then the flag won't go away. In these cases, you want to be as fast as physically possible on taking the shot. If you do it right, it'll drop every time. If not, it'll bounce off the flag and you'll rage.

4: If you're starting from fairway or for the rough, give it way more power than it looks like you need. The length indicator IS NOT accurate in these cases. Treat it like you're putting up a significant slope.

and finally, if the shot is too crazy consider just chipping instead.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Dr Cheeto posted:

I just aim for bunkers or rough and chip it from there. If you land on the green you can't use the flagpole as a backboard.

Personally I think putting is easier than chipping. If you're trying to nail the flag with a chip you have to perfectly account for wind because if the wind pulls you off course (or you just mess up your shot) you're guaranteed to have to burn another stroke.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Forcyte posted:

Is there a trick to the putting challenge in Bermuda Isles? The slopes are so extreme, I can't get the ball close to the hole on the second and third holes.

Trial and error worked for me. I'd recommend just dropping the ball on the green outside of the challenge and hitting it over and over again until you have a good idea of power/direction that drops it the most consistently. That's a little quicker than dealing with the TOO BAD poo poo over and over.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Well you can't get to those green

Oh I must be thinking of another putting challenge then. There's one in particular where you have to putt down a long U shape that took me a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

KingSlime posted:

ughhh did I bug my game?

It was during the murder mystery, I snuck out of the mansion and it was raining

so I just casually walked away from the perimeter of the building, went into the pro shop, stepped out and uhh now it's daytime

I also can't get back into the mansion because there's trucks parked all around, which is weird because I just sauntered on out between them. Anyways it looks like i need to confront the dudes harassing the guy outside, guess I missed them. Am I stuck outside?

basically is my game hosed?

Sounds like yes :/ Sorry man. I've heard the murder mystery is the most unstable part of the game.

• Locked thread