Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ugh the disc golf section was annoying. Only bad part of the game so far, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kaubocks posted:

3) listen to your controller when you throw a ball at someone, the HD rumble makes SOUNDS, like not just rumble sounds but SOUND SOUNDS :staredog:

The HD Rumble motors in the joycons aren't the simple unevenly balanced peice of metal attached to a motor that you'd find in your dual shock or Xbox controllers, it's actually a linear resonant actuator—a charge is applied unevenly to an electromagnet hidden in the joycons, which causes it to vibrate back and forth. At low frequencies of vibration, a rumble is felt, and because the amount and frequency of current is controllable, it allows for different and very precise levels of vibration, which Nintendo calls "HD Rumble". If you've got an iPhone 6S or newer, you've got a similar motor in your phone in the "Taptic Engine".

However, a cool hidden "feature" of LRAs is that if they're vibrated quickly enough they start to produce sound! The LRAs in the Steam controller are used to make the tones that sound when the controller is connected or disconnected.

As far as I know, the Golf Story devs appears to be the first studio to intentionally take advantage of the sound producing capabilities of the HD Rumble motors—the HD Rumble in Snake Pass originally made sound, but that's because the devs set the vibration way too high (they probably used the same values from the other console versions, not realizing how differently the joycons' vibration works).

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Sep 29, 2017

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Airfoil posted:

Anyone else hit this bug in Cheekybeak Peak...

When returning eggs to the cheekybirds, even if you hit the red egg to the red area and the bird retrieves it, you don't get credit for the shot.

It’s not a bug, just unclear. Look around for a bird sitting by itself.

Took me way too long to figure that out.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dr Cheeto posted:

Haha the loving vinegar goes into the bookshelf gently caress this game

I discovered that completely by accident, for some reason I thought you were supposed to give it to the front desk lady and when that didn't work I just started double checking stuff and the bookshelf was the first thing I tried.

I actually really liked that section, besides the rap battle. It was funny at first, but went too long.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Blue Dunes is killing me. I spent the rest of the game birdieing my way through holes by chipping it in from the rough but the wind in Blue Dunes is making that particular strategy impossible.

• Locked thread