Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
You can't trigger perma-run, right?

(also where are the 3rd and 4th switches for that clubhouse, I only got the obvious one and the one with the kid in croc water)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Valency posted:

It's top left corner, back behind a bunch of trees. Took me a while to find that one too.
e: ^ Fourth is behind the clubhouse
Yep, this was it. Thanks!

edit: oh my god the minigolf scientists are totally speedrunner jokes
edit2: "did he just beat the course record?" "of course not, there's not even a route for that yet"

and then they offer to sell you a putter that can curve shots for $314 :allears:

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Sep 29, 2017

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Beastie posted:

Question: How do you feel about rascally moles?
Yeah, it's got more active course hazards (there are turtles in the second world :kimchi:) but it is definitely along the same lines.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

imnotinsane posted:

What am I doing wrong with this feed the fish challenge? Are there particular fish I need to feed because I've hit heaps of balls into different red circles and it's still says I've fed 0 of 10 fish
Don't hit balls. Walk up to the ball-looking plants and hit A when prompted to tee off with those. There's more than ten plants but I don't know what happens if you whiff enough shots that you're out - maybe going back to the world map will respawn them?

What's the red bandana guy want? I haven't seen any apparel or anything else I can get him.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Artix posted:

So how the hell does Disc Golf work? Mini Golf at least uses the same set of mechanics as putting, but I cannot figure out how to reliably throw a disc in any direction other than straight forward.
I think left/right work from the disc's perspective, not yours. But I don't know because I just lucksacked my way past the long-throw-into-the-bucket and haven't done more since.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Waltzing Along posted:

Bouncing from bunker to bunker is one my fav things I've ever done in a golf game. Also, bunker footprints. Or footprint bunkers. Dinosaur footprints.
The "land only on X terrain type" sidequests were sweet and I'm hoping there's more of those in the later levels, I'm only at the second place so I only have done the one set but I really enjoyed them.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Autonomous Monster posted:

Alternate course guy's alternate course for Oak Manor has defeated me :negative:
God, that guy comes back? He's a madman. I love him. He doesn't give a poo poo about your intended pathing and buildings and obstacles and people and actual other hole right next to the one he's telling you to aim at.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
There's gotta be an upgraded putter at (or before?) Cheekybeak Peak given these bird challenges, what the hell am I missing?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Consummate Professional posted:

I just got there but uh, I forgot I could hold R for some help for like 5 minutes.
holy poo poo I expected that to make even shorter putts like it makes shorter non-putt shots (because I don't golf so lol at knowing what "approach" means) but yeah holding ZR fixed it trivially

Two questions now:
-Where's the dynamo parts? I tried checking the greenskeeper's place and asking Lucky but neither were correct.
-The guy who wants caching coins, is there a way to find caches? Like the archaeologist gave me a radar for the idol bit but then he took it back. Is it just noticing territory that looks weird?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
The old lady at the Aqua Golf range has great dialogue after you win all three prizes.

She says "We don't have any prizes left. You won them all. I hope nobody else likes golf."

edit: oh my god, Galf. I started a game and I have to go to bed and there doesn't seem to be a quit option? Can I stop GALF?

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Oct 2, 2017

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

atholbrose posted:

...put the Switch to sleep and pick it up later?
Well, yes. I just wanted to post "CAN I STOP GALF" like a grown man :shobon:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

PantsBandit posted:

Some kind of terrain mapping would be really nice.
The worst part is that they know it - if you get on the green in Galf there's little arrows on every square of it telling you the slope.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Speaking of Galf, I'm really surprised nobody has posted screenshots of the manual. I should probably take some and post it. It's amazing :allears:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
The main character's wife is pretty misogynistic. I'm not a fan. Does she get less stereotypical?

(I guess this does free him up to have Lara hit him really hard if you know what I"m sayin'.)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Waltzing Along posted:

The "relationship" stuff is the worst part of the game.

Main / ex wife
Main / Lara
Coach / Laras Coach

All bad.
Coach / Lara's Coach is great because Coach is a washed up old gently caress, hopefully they don't run that one into the ground

and Main/Lara is tsundere as gently caress and I want her to just like, beat him up already and get it over with

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I'm stuck in the murder mystery bit. Someone give me a hint? I have to get the red ball which I'm pretty sure will knock down Dorris's book that will then send her to sleep, and I know it was in a guy's pocket before laundry. I don't have a Laundry Token for the machine and searching the bag on the floor doesn't give me the ball either. I also don't have the green ball or any idea where it is. I have a bottle of Vinegar I've done nothing with, and I've done the Dinner stuff and the Chamomile Soda. I've also replaced the Bell with a working one but I don't know why.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Autonomous Monster posted:

Well actually... that shelf was the first thing I checked when that sequence started, and got an "odd, it looks like there's a bottle missing here" message. So I knew there was something going on with bottles, though I never actually made the connection and "solved" that one by pure chance.
...if I had gotten that message I would have known to do that! Even if I don't know why I'm doing it. Is this the mythical bit where they call out that this poo poo is stupid and arbitrary and crazy because I'm excited for that.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I figured the spin stat affected the X button ball position mode :shobon:

Unrelated: gently caress whoever decided we needed an RC Car game.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Zerilan posted:

Missing one cache coin and been looking all over for that fucker to no avail.
Same, actually. I just assume it's on Blue Dunes because I haven't really scoped the whole place out yet.

Also, alt course guy peaked at spoopy halloween course. Tidy Park and Blue Dunes were easy by comparison. Does he have more later?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Dr Cheeto posted:

There is no cache on Blue Moon Dunes fyi
yo where the hell is the fifth one then

and also, gently caress Drone Minigame(tm)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Zerilan posted:

ftfy

Also that was the 5th I was missing since I didn't think to explore it for people beyond the disc golf trio.
Oh poo poo, yeah, that's definitely the one I missed. loving disc golf.

e: yep, that was it. Do I do anything with this Cacher's Legendary Treasure? The cacher guy at the soda bar doesn't want it.

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 7, 2017

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Dr Cheeto posted:

You trade it for an item of great value in Blue Moon Dunes.
yeah I was like "wait poo poo Legendary Treasure I know someone who wants that"

rofl at GALF NIGHTS

also did I miss the Genie the first time around? I paid the dude for two wishes but when I talked to the genie first he said "you're too late, I'm already free"

e: oh, and I have three putters but five of every other club. Is that normal? I only have the Antique and the minigolf whirly one.

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 7, 2017

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Waltzing Along posted:

Genie? What genie?
The one just standing there chilling out on Blue Dunes next to the dude with the magic rainbow boombox. Saying "You're too late, I'm already free." makes me think I could have been the one to free it!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Dr Cheeto posted:

Yeah, you throw a grand to the boom box girl and she tells the genie to give you one of her wishes. You can do this twice. The first time he upgrades your wellworn drivers, the second time he upgrades your wellworn irons. It increases the degree to which you can shape your shots to a pretty crazy level, basically makes trees a total nonissue, your lobbed shots lobbier, and your straight shots straighter.
Gonna be honest, I didn't even use them after that - I tried them and like, I just wanted Pro/Bladed anyway for dat distance. Distance!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Zerilan posted:

Did you learn nothing from the gents at Tidy Park? It's not about distance.
I learned that even with my "friend" "helping" me tee off I can still out-chip those old sons of bitches any day :argh:

(the absolute best part of the ending was the old lady and her new foster grandson nearly hitting the old man in the head with a drive)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Dr Cheeto posted:

I mean the pro set is tempting but a bad tree can ruin a hole for me. How many strokes does +15 yds *really* save me?
But

DISTANCE

(no I definitely should have switched I just appreciated the distance too much)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

magimix posted:

Galf :psyduck: I feel bruised. The best hole for me was a bogey! :cry:
Just wait until you get Galf Seasons and Galf Nights

the best part is you can't tell if I'm joking

I'm not

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Kaubocks posted:

what's the loving deal with this stupid makeshift golf course rear end in a top hat in oak manor?? why is this so god damned hard???

i swear i am golfing this as perfectly as i can and always coming in one stroke short, this sucks rear end
Oak Manor is the haunted level, right? That's the worst of them - the two remaining after that I did both of in like, half the attempts it took me to do that one.

Use the ghost NPC for an easy chip in on that hole. Hit into water when possible - your ball will end up at the last bit of land it went over and you don't get a penalty stroke. Beyond that, uh, good luck. Try to save strokes early so you have margin for error on the last two, I needed it.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Beastie posted:

I keep coming up like 2 inches short on the old man's putting challenge at the country club Tidy Greens(?)

You have to go from tee box to sinking it in six putts.

I'm holding the trigger to give the ball some extra roll, accounting for wind, and pretty much maxing the power on each stroke.

Every time the ball stops just shy of dropping. What am I missing?
I don't think wind affects putting, just slope. But I assume that's what you meant. I didn't have issues and I know that's not helpful - maxing the power should do it?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Forcyte posted:

Is there a trick to the putting challenge in Bermuda Isles? The slopes are so extreme, I can't get the ball close to the hole on the second and third holes.
I ended up just memorizing how to get the first one in for two points (70% power and I can't tell you where I aimed) and then aiming at the dude's eyeballs and messing with my power until I figured out what I needed.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Larrymer posted:

Oh my god. :kimchi:

the rap battle scene was amazing
The one kid who has continuing interactions with the grandma really pays off by the end, it's genuinely one of the cuter parts of the game for me :3:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Afro posted:

Welp I hosed my save too. When I got in to the Tidy Park clubhouse a small thing happened and I was automatically sent outside. Thinking hey I just got access to this place and I want to look around, I went back in. And now the old lady at the front desk wont let me leave.
Isn't that just the... you know, the mystery bit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Once you've finished Golf Story it's time to move on to GALF.

• Locked thread