Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

EightFlyingCars posted:

I was watching some early footage and the courses and putting greens were all flat. Does that ever change?

Yes. There are some quite substantial slopes on later courses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

You need to really finesse the discs. Oversteering was the big problem I had. It helps to throw it at less power, too.

I cannot for the life of me figure out where I'm supposed to pick up a set of vintage woods.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Alternate course guy's alternate course for Oak Manor has defeated me :negative:

I'm not a golfer, I'm not even a man...

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

DACK FAYDEN posted:

God, that guy comes back? He's a madman. I love him. He doesn't give a poo poo about your intended pathing and buildings and obstacles and people and actual other hole right next to the one he's telling you to aim at.

Every course. And harder every time. :argh:

He might be the most challenging thing in the game?

Beastie posted:

I dislike that the game sometimes puts your tee shot directly into a lake or OB and you have to spend a few seconds figuring out where the hell it's pointing you in relation to the fairway.

The game always points you straight at the hole, as far as I can tell. You can zoom out by clicking the right stick, which helps a lot.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Beastie posted:

Ignoring your stats, hitting the ball from the bottom will pop it up and over the deep rough/sand that it is lodged in. Comes in handy when you are trying to hit over an object or body of water that is right in front of you.

It also stops your ball from rolling away from where it landed.

It also makes it more susceptible to the wind. Hitting the top does the opposite; more/farther bounces and less wind. Hitting the left or right bends the shot- it won't change where it lands, but you might be able to curve it round a tree or something.

Still haven't figured out what the L and R (not ZL/ZR, actual L and R) do though.

eonwe posted:

do you get something if you just freeform play holes? You don't seem to be able to continue your shots, and I was wondering if I was missing something.

also I remember hitting that switch with a golf ball early on, I'm guessing there are switches all over the courses hidden?

Four switches on the first course. There are also destructibles (buoys, speed boats, barrels etc) you can hit for cash and special bonus holes that give you massive xp (they've got swirly rainbow circles around them). If there's anything else to hit outside of a challenge/match you'll usually get a tee-up prompt.

eonwe posted:

finally:

difference between normal mode & focus mode

Focus has a slower bar and ignores wind, maybe?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Eat poo poo, Max! :argh:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Airfoil posted:

Anyone else hit this bug in Cheekybeak Peak...

When returning eggs to the cheekybirds, even if you hit the red egg to the red area and the bird retrieves it, you don't get credit for the shot.

You might not be hitting it to the right birds. You're not aiming for the ones that are on the course as hazards, the ones you want are off the central island.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

EpicNemesis posted:

So the mini golf putter...worth or no?

It's extremely useful in a very small number of edge cases. It won't come up very often, but when it does it's a lifesaver.

And it's no more expensive than the midgame clubs, soo...

Lakbay posted:

The shot shaping and strong wind challenges in Cheekybeak kicked my rear end. I am not so good at golf

Blue Moon Dunes is giving me conniptions. It's set up perfectly to lure you into taking risky shots and then punish you for loving up.

EDIT: It's done. I've finished it. Golf Story... is over :negative:

(About 20 hours)

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 30, 2017

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Echophonic posted:

I'm kind of stuck during the Tiny Park leadup, after you get all the stuff to get in. I have the laundry token, but I have no idea what to do from there. I've talked to everyone and I think I've examined everything I can.

You use the laundry token in the laundry to get the red ball, which you use in the... lounge? Library? On the minigolf course there to get the book down.

That, plus the meal, plus a... I think it was a chamomile soda? Will get the lady on reception to head for bed, at which point you can go outside.

Oh, if you haven't noticed yet, if you hide under the tables next to NPCs you can overhear them talking to themselves/each other. Do that and they'll practically tell you what you have to do.

less than three posted:

What's the 'Normal' bar at the bottom left-ish, and what changes it?

Modes. Hit up/down on the D-Pad and you can use Focus (slower hit bar), Power (more distance) and Tee-Up (ignore terrain penalties) modes. You've got a limited stock of energy for it, though- three uses. Something charges it, I think maybe hitting a perfect stroke?

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Sep 30, 2017

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Frankston posted:

Hey where do I find the old wood club

Go to Oak Manor.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Waltzing Along posted:

Am I misremembering or did the guy at the pro club ask for 8 scorecards? Cuz I only gave him 2. Coulda sworn he said 8 and I rolled my eyes at that.

You do five as part of the main quest, and the sixth is the rematch with the old dude at Tidy Park. "THIS IS YOUR WORST NIGHTMARE!" and Blue Moon with Junior are just the last two.

e: If you open the menu and go to the Story tab it'll tell you what's what.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Dr Cheeto posted:

There's a shelf next to Lara. Interact with it. No, there's no reason why you'd know to do this.

Well actually... that shelf was the first thing I checked when that sequence started, and got an "odd, it looks like there's a bottle missing here" message. So I knew there was something going on with bottles, though I never actually made the connection and "solved" that one by pure chance.

It's such a weird hiccup when basically everything else there is clearly signposted. Including the thing that Lara solves for you! :nallears:

Waltzing Along posted:

Most of the courses are easy/fair. BD isn't. The holes are much longer. There is more water and bunkers and rough. Many holes you are pretty much screwed if you hit one bunker.

I do better on Dunes than Oak Manor, frankly, and more consistently. The holes are long, but you should be driving 300+ yards a shot by that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

I don't know if it's just so obvious we're not bothering to mentioning it, but there are sections of the grass there- the bits that look like fairway but are browner?- that are of the "Fast2" type. The ball rolls much faster on these sections and you can do it in five putts easy if you line your shots up right (the whirly putter helps).

99% certain wind doesn't effect putting at all.

• Locked thread