Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

btw wayland isn't going to be able to change the programming model either

as long as an x11 compatibility mode exists, people will use it. and they will scream if it goes away.

approximately zero Ubuntu or Fedora users will scream if most non-GNOME applications stop working

the distributions should literally stop shipping X-Windows compatibility and any toolkit but GNOME in their base system, just pull them down from the package manager if some grognard on installing some legacy garbage

they’d be better off including SDL in the base system than X-Windows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

- openwindows
- suntools/sunview
- NeWS
- display postscript

Literally none of these were 'on Linux', dude, and they weren't replacements for X once it became dominant, they were closed source products that predated it or competed with it. Come on.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

eschaton posted:

a real improvement would be a deeply integrated window server and widget set where any application not written against that widget set is told to get with the loving program already, but Unix weenies decided that an aphorism appropriate for a research system, “mechanism not policy,” was actually a core tenet of their platform

my friend have you tried chrome os

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

install windows op

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

feedmegin posted:

Literally none of these were 'on Linux', dude, and they weren't replacements for X once it became dominant, they were closed source products that predated it or competed with it. Come on.

linux wasn't the normal state of unix at the time

when you're on a 20+ year time scale linux isn't the only unix

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

a real improvement would be a deeply integrated window server and widget set where any application not written against that widget set is told to get with the loving program already, but Unix weenies decided that an aphorism appropriate for a research system, “mechanism not policy,” was actually a core tenet of their platform

telling people to use the One True Widget Set in exchange for disposing of x11 has been tried before. that is not a new idea. see half the things in the list i posted earlier. "mechanism not policy" was a brutal compromise between what looks sensible, and what the actually-existing community of users demand

it's not like there is a secret cabal of people who think x11 is good or well-suited to modern problems. it's just that it's really hard to get rid of legacy software.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
kde is the one true widget set and gnome is trash hitler

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Condiv posted:

so, i'm becoming less and less interested in using nvidia GPUs for computation right now. yeah, cuda's a nice lib, and yeah, i'd love to use power 8 for what we're doing, but apparently IBM power 8 with nvidia P100s only support cuda and don't support openCL at all. I'm not talking nvidia's typical, opencl 1.2 only support, they don't support vulkan, opengl, or opencl. just cuda. getting locked into a single vendors' computation platform seems like a big mistake, and it seems like nvidia is doing this all over the place (see: nvidia refusing to work with wayland, implementing their own dumb eglstreams thing that no-one uses)

openmp 4.5 with target offload

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’ve heard good things about a new superior operating system windows 95

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Bloody posted:

install windows op

wrong

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

i'm on windows me, i haven't heard of windows op before, thanks i'll check it out

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
XFree86

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Bloody posted:

install windows op

ok now what

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

now remove windows op

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

PCjr sidecar posted:

openmp 4.5 with target offload

openmp only works with c/c++/fortran

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Condiv posted:

openmp only works with c/c++/fortran

not sure that OpenCL or whatever is going to be any better for that tho

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

funny to see intel pushing opencl now that they sell fpgas

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
if this makes rendering poo poo in blender faster then that is cool

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

PCjr sidecar posted:

funny to see intel pushing opencl now that they sell fpgas

yeah i somehow missed Intel buying Altera and was super confused when Mouser was advertising INTEL CYCLONE 10 FPGA's

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

PCjr sidecar posted:

not sure that OpenCL or whatever is going to be any better for that tho

you can bind to opencl/cuda from other languages. iirc, openmp is macro town and can't be used like a library

Condiv fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Nov 18, 2017

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

just learned about this HIP thing from amd

apparently it's an api over cuda/opencl that's designed to be cuda-like

so i guess this is something i'll be coding against (or at least trying to)

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Condiv posted:

just learned about this HIP thing from amd

apparently it's an api over cuda/opencl that's designed to be cuda-like

so i guess this is something i'll be coding against (or at least trying to)

gently caress, apparently it's just a compile time shim over cuda/opencl, not even a proper lib

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Condiv posted:

you can bind to opencl/cuda from other languages. iirc, openmp is macro town and can't be used like a library

theres always the nvptx backend for llvm, apparently somebody has rust compiling to ptx lol

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

linux wasn't the normal state of unix at the time

when you're on a 20+ year time scale linux isn't the only unix

Sure but we are very specially talking about Linux here. That's why I said 'Linux'. In 1997 all the poo poo you listed was a) mostly long dead and b) never available on Linux. Commercial vendors' attempts to bring in their own proprietary windowing systems are not examples of the free software community trying and failing to come up with a good replacement for X on technical merits.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

feedmegin posted:

Sure but we are very specially talking about Linux here. That's why I said 'Linux'. In 1997 all the poo poo you listed was a) mostly long dead and b) never available on Linux. Commercial vendors' attempts to bring in their own proprietary windowing systems are not examples of the free software community trying and failing to come up with a good replacement for X on technical merits.

i have no reason to believe that a "free software community" that excludes the major vendor in the space has any better shot it than the various vendor consortia of yore

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i have no reason to believe that a "free software community" that excludes the major vendor in the space has any better shot it than the various vendor consortia of yore

Firstly the major vendor here is Intel. Secondly 'Linux GPU vendor' and 'Unix workstation vendor' are not even remotely in the same market position here, again come on now.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

feedmegin posted:

Firstly the major vendor here is Intel. Secondly 'Linux GPU vendor' and 'Unix workstation vendor' are not even remotely in the same market position here, again come on now.

you're right

no unix workstation vendor ever reached the near-100% market share of nvidia

the osf/motif guys could happily exclude sun and at&t because they were only 40% of the market. nobody can exclude nvidia -- they are the market.

TOPS-420
Feb 13, 2012

there were plenty of awful free software attempts to replace x that failed too

remember berlin^Wfresco https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fresco_(windowing_system)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you're right

the osf/motif guys could happily exclude sun and at&t because they were only 40% of the market. nobody can exclude nvidia -- they are the market.

...for Linux desktops? No. Waylands target is not 'workstation CAD' and being free software 'the market' is not the motivator you keep claiming.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

linux workstations is 99% dev machines and laptops dude, those all run off intel igpus. and possibly amd apus in the near future?

nvidia on linux is for datacenters, datacenters don't care about a loving gui lol

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
most linux guis are the js atrocity du heure served at chrome running on windows

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Cocoa Crispies posted:

most linux guis are the js atrocity du heure served at chrome running on windows

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
i'm still pissed i had to set up a swapfile on a 1gb instance to run webpack this afternoon

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Cocoa Crispies posted:

i'm still pissed i had to set up a swapfile on a 1gb instance to run webpack this afternoon

:same:

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Bloody posted:

install windows op

windows 2000 is fairly op as far as windows goes

everything since has been layers of lovely kludges duct taped onto it

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

ProjektorBoy posted:

counterpoint: it cant handle the weed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08mGwpDUxTQ

Workaday Wizard fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Nov 20, 2017

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

ProjektorBoy posted:

as someone with a dedicated win2k box under their desk, I can confirm it's pretty nice for what it is

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
multitasking with dual 1ghz CPUs felt a lot like modern multicore computing, except snappier because it wasn't buried under a mountain of javascript

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Silver Alicorn posted:

multitasking with dual 1ghz CPUs felt a lot like modern multicore computing, except snappier because it wasn't buried under a mountain of javascript

:agreed: if your website scripts take more than 0.5s to sort themselves out during loading you should be shot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

blowfish posted:

:agreed: if your website scripts take more than 0.5s to sort themselves out during loading you should be shot

• Locked thread